Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Durant just dropped 38 like nothing

what was Ty Lue thinking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Abolish the maximum salary. KD's choice was easy because going to a way better team cost him 'only' three million dollars a year. If there was no max salary then OKC would've been better able to keep him. Or maybe Washington or the Lakers or someone would've offered him $55m a year or something crazy and he'd have gone there.

Also, eliminate the draft and replace it with a special rookie free agency period. Teams get allocated a rookie cap that they can split up between as many rookies as they wish, the worse your team in the standings the bigger your rookie cap. If Markelle Fultz wants to sign for the Cavs for $3m a year he can, or Phoenix could offer him their full $15m a year or whatever. Instead of trading future draft picks, teams trade future rookie cap exceptions. That 10 day period of rookie FA signing would be gloriously crazy.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 2, 2017

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Rabid Snake posted:

Durant just dropped 38 like nothing

what was Ty Lue thinking

Renown NBA strategy and coaching wizard Ty Lue didn't gameplan and make adjustments??

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Getting rid of max contracts would probably help but it would also make the NBA like the NFL where one player is on a pedestal miles above his teammates, that would lead to worse and worse CBAs, see the NFL and the NFL quarterback club as an example of what happens

Sports being asset plays is not an enjoyable thing, but that's what they are in a tax/cap constrained league. If you don't like it, watch boxing

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Away all Goats posted:

The NBA will do nothing because the GSW are really popular and will only become more popular as they continue to win. More people will watch them, both as fans and as haters hoping to see them lose. In the end, the NBA makes more money. they have no incentive to break them up or prevent future super teams.

this was true before, adding kevin durant did not change this it just made one less marketable contender.

superteams have historically been good for the league but having a superteam add an mvp in his prime is so unheard of we can't really be sure. if these playoffs are any indication tho it seems like a huge loss for the league.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Away all Goats posted:

The NBA will do nothing because the GSW are really popular and will only become more popular as they continue to win. More people will watch them, both as fans and as haters hoping to see them lose. In the end, the NBA makes more money. they have no incentive to break them up or prevent future super teams.

Then the NBA has failed

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

tanglewood1420 posted:

Abolish the maximum salary. KD's choice was easy because going to a way better team cost him 'only' three million dollars a year. If there was no max salary then OKC would've been better able to keep him. Or maybe Washington or the Lakers or someone would've offered him $55m a year or something crazy and he'd have gone there.

Max salaries are there for owners benefit, they will not remove

The draft, max contract and salary cap are labor crushing mechanisms disguised as parity functions

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Yeah the Warriors are just such a weird and unique case because normally teams don't sign a guy for 44/4 and then he wins two MVPs.

If B-R is right the Warriors salary situation is such that they could add a second Kevin Durant, contract and all, out of thin air, they'd just barely pass the Cavs in total salary.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Here's the thing everytime someone tries to bring up cap restrictions as a way to prevent what GSW currently is: Every team, including Cleveland, would be majorly hosed except GSW. The only way to prevent this year's team is to force GSW to sign Curry to a max contract way back despite everyone here saying 11 million annually was too risky.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

tanglewood1420 posted:

i mean the warriors are only a way better team cause hes on it. the team he left all but beat the 73 win warriors and that warriors team was only going to get worse, not better. i really really dislike the way people are trying to couch this in terms of leaving a bad team for a good one when that is not what happened, not even in the slightest

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
https://twitter.com/danfavale/status/870485431548207105

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Lessail posted:

Then the NBA has failed
Even the NBA couldn't predict how much of a bitch KD is.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Ammanas posted:

Hard quota on max contracts

That's meaningless unless you also put in place a strict, mandatory system for how much players are paid. Otherwise teams will just sign max contract players to $1 less or w/e.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
I'd be more upset that KD went to the warriors except he abandoned OKC whose owners abandoned Seattle so seems like they just got what was coming to them. Without a team to root for the Warriors are cool because they are fun to watch, at least until Sixers process reaches its apex and we get the Embiid era in full swing.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Lebron is 1-7 lifetime in Finals game 1s so I wouldn't be worried as a Cavs fan

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/870488315132342273

that sounds good

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Ghost Dog posted:

i mean the warriors are only a way better team cause hes on it. the team he left all but beat the 73 win warriors and that warriors team was only going to get worse, not better. i really really dislike the way people are trying to couch this in terms of leaving a bad team for a good one when that is not what happened, not even in the slightest

By a rational evaluation the Warriors were a way better team than OKC when he was making his decision, because he was a free agent and not technically on the OKC roster.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

the problem with changing the maximum salary is that it doesn't account for a legendary bitch made player like Kevin Durant blowing a 3-1 lead and joining the team that beat his rear end. Hell, a team could offer Durant 200 mil more but he'd still leave. That reek poo poo is real.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

the only way to have stopped the warriors from forming would have been a rule that effectively made it impossible to have someone on a discounted contract. that doesnt seem possible unless you like...make a system where the only thing negotiated is the number of years and 1st years pay and then the rest is deduced by some objective measure of how good a player is. thats a lot of words, and a dumb idea, to say steph currys contract would have needed to be changed mid contract to reflect that he became an mvp and also draymond and klays contracts would need to have been required to be maxes somehow

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The Cavs had a bad gameplan, the Warriors executed really well. Next time we'll probably see more Korver and Frye in an attempt to just score a lot of threes beofre GSW can have an avalanche quarter

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
here's my cap solution:

if you win the MVP you can opt out of your contract

it can even be if you make an all NBA team you can opt out (maybe just 1st team?)

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Dimebag posted:

I'd be more upset that KD went to the warriors except he abandoned OKC whose owners abandoned Seattle so seems like they just got what was coming to them. Without a team to root for the Warriors are cool because they are fun to watch, at least until Sixers process reaches its apex and we get the Embiid era in full swing.

God bless clay bennett

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

tanglewood1420 posted:

By a rational evaluation the Warriors were a way better team than OKC when he was making his decision, because he was a free agent and not technically on the OKC roster.

this is a heinously dumb way to evaluate this. the question he asks is if the team hes on has done enough to make his team a contender/good enough to beat any team in the league in a 7 game series. the answer to that was emphatically yes.

like if you actually think thats the way free agents should go through their decision no top fa should ever re-sign

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
Also changing the max hits the salary of mid level guys the hardest right? So you'd end up with stars spread out over more teams than now but they would eat most of the salary cap up themselves.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The only way to prevent another Golden State is to amplify the voices of our dumbest hot take artists

"Kevin Durant's legacy is worse having won 12 championships with the Warriors than it would be if he never made the finals in Oklahoma City" - this must become NBA canon

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
That Cavs defense is so loving bad :rip:

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm just glad Curry isn't injured this time. I think even if the Warriors lost, I'd count this as a good season because of that.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
At the same time, GSW defense isn't good enough to hold CLE to 34.6% shooting again this series or possibly ever so this game may wind up being a huge outlier.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

i too am glad that curry is *quickly googles game result* Not injured woo

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

milk milk lemonade posted:

At the same time, GSW defense isn't good enough to hold CLE to 34.6% shooting again this series or possibly ever so this game may wind up being a huge outlier.

are they tho

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Ghost Dog posted:

this is a heinously dumb way to evaluate this. the question he asks is if the team hes on has done enough to make his team a contender/good enough to beat any team in the league in a 7 game series. the answer to that was emphatically yes.

like if you actually think thats the way free agents should go through their decision no top fa should ever re-sign

Well yeah not every person may think that way, but by straight game theory it's true. The fact that GSW had the foresight/luck to fit Durant's salary under the cap was what made it happen. In the rare situations previously that championship contenders have created the cap space they have signed star FAs from rivals. I mean, it was literally the same decision that Lebron made leaving Cleveland in 2010 when they had been the top seed in the East. Once he hit free agency that was meaningless, because he wasn't on the team anymore.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Rabid Snake posted:

are they tho

Are you asking are they good enough to hold Cleveland to 34.6% shooting again? The answer is gently caress no, GS had a very rare and unlikely-to-be-repeated stroke of luck against Cleveland in terms of raw shooting percentage.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

That Cavs defense is so loving bad :rip:

https://streamable.com/e0kta

idk man when you get the option to go double team David West 35 foot from the basket instead of picking up the ball handler you just gotta do it

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

TildeATH posted:

I'm just glad Curry isn't injured this time. I think even if the Warriors lost, I'd count this as a good season because of that.
loving what?

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

tanglewood1420 posted:

Well yeah not every person may think that way, but by straight game theory it's true. The fact that GSW had the foresight/luck to fit Durant's salary under the cap was what made it happen. In the rare situations previously that championship contenders have created the cap space they have signed star FAs from rivals. I mean, it was literally the same decision that Lebron made leaving Cleveland in 2010 when they had been the top seed in the East. Once he hit free agency that was meaningless, because he wasn't on the team anymore.

no, this is what i am talking about. the decision is not even remotely like lebrons. he did not leave one of the best teams in the nba, he left a mediocre team. a team that was mediocre even with him on it. its a ludicrous amount of revisionist history to pretend the thunder team kd left is remotely comparable to the shitshow lebron had.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Clumsily throwing shade at the cavs.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Are you asking are they good enough to hold Cleveland to 34.6% shooting again? The answer is gently caress no, GS had a very rare and unlikely-to-be-repeated stroke of luck against Cleveland in terms of raw shooting percentage.

You're underrating the Warriors defense.

It isnt the east anymore

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Oh man the Warriors are so lucky that the Cavs shot 34.6 percent!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Gosh darnit Kevin Durant is also lucky for scoring 38 points on the Cavs defense!!!!

• Locked thread