Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

DarkstarIV posted:

Here we go:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/01/politics/trump-travel-ban-supreme-court/index.html

I kind of hope that the Supreme Court refuses to hear the case, just for the meltdown Trump would have. Or that it gets dunked on by every sitting justice.

In a 5 to 4 decision...

"Who could ever know a man's true thoughts even when he vomited them out at every opportunity for years at a time?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

DarkstarIV posted:

Here we go:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/01/politics/trump-travel-ban-supreme-court/index.html

I kind of hope that the Supreme Court refuses to hear the case, just for the meltdown Trump would have. Or that it gets dunked on by every sitting justice.

Speaking of which, how does the Supreme Court decide whether to hear a case? Do they have an internal vote or something?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

enraged_camel posted:

Speaking of which, how does the Supreme Court decide whether to hear a case? Do they have an internal vote or something?

Yes.

Cases can't be directly appealed to the Supreme Court. They have to grant a writ of Certiorari, which takes 4 Justices.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I asked before but I didn't get an answer: assuming the worst-case scenario, how long would we expect it to take for the SCOTUS to review the case?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Spiritus Nox posted:

I asked before but I didn't get an answer: assuming the worst-case scenario, how long would we expect it to take for the SCOTUS to review the case?

Simply put: No idea.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Furnaceface posted:

Canada is a tiny country of insignificant political and purchasing power. Even compared to a single state like California. I dont think its going to be as difficult as you think.

It's not that Canada is all powerful. It's that they're a single market and global companies will take less money there as long as they continue to soak US customers. Switzerland is tiny too and they pay less.

California's different in that any deal they make is going to influence prices in other states. And Cali probably can't afford a single payer system at current costs. Drug companies might be willing to just not sell to 10% of the population to keep higher profit margins on the other 90%.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Dirt posted:

^^^
Pretty sure Carrier said they were cutting all those jobs anyway just the other day.

They said they were gonna cut'em like right after the deal. Like the same loving story said they were cutting the jobs anyway.

The deal was a complete loving sham.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

MickeyFinn posted:

They said you was hung!

And they was right!

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Jon Ossoff is up by 1 in latest GA-6 poll.

I made the mistake of donating to Ossoff.

Never again! :argh:

I'll probably keep donating and just unsubscribe but seriously this is ridiculous.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Crain posted:

Simply put: No idea.

They probably wouldn't hear arguments until the fall.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Krispy Kareem posted:

California's different in that any deal they make is going to influence prices in other states. And Cali probably can't afford a single payer system at current costs. Drug companies might be willing to just not sell to 10% of the population to keep higher profit margins on the other 90%.

That and I guarantee that single payer opponents will correctly see this as their final stand. CA stands out compared to most of the poorer parts of the country, but aside from its geographical size it's pretty typical of a wealthy blue state. If single payer can work in CA then it can work elsewhere and a successful single payer program will probably be the tipping point for real national support.

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009
Is it true that Hawaii already has single-payer? If so, why would California be the tipping point for the rest of the country? I mean, I understand the size obviously, but why would insurance companies crush CA over this if they didn't crush HI?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Hawaii passed a single payer bill that was vetoed by the governor. They don't have an active single payer system as far as I know.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

voltroon posted:

the size obviously

You said it yourself

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

DarkstarIV posted:

Here we go:

They might, the lower courts seem to be in agreement on this?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Vermont tried looking into single payer but dropped it. Hawaii passed a plan and overrode a veto, but nothing has been done with it. It might actually work in Hawaii because it's such a tiny market and they could offset at least some of the cost to tourists.

Obamacare fixed the coverage issue (mostly), but did nothing for costs. And unfortunately both Democrats and Republicans vote with big pharma.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Yeah, somewhere like Hawaii could pull it off quietly because it's Hawaii and everyone would just shrug and say that Hawaii is small and unique and be right about that. California is just a big wealthy state, though, and it's similar to other wealthy parts of the country. Its primary advantage is having a single, solidly Democratic state government that covers a wide geographic area and a whole lot of people, which is also a pretty good description of the federal government aside from that Democratic part.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Best case scenario it gets bounced off the SC, second best Gorsuch goes with the decision to slap it down and in vengeance Trump detonates his implanted spine bomb on live tv

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

So who is California's version of Joe Lieberman who will make sure to kill the bill (and Californians)

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Stephen Moore is such a hack:

quote:

The most bullish jobs claim comes from Stephen Moore, an economic adviser to Trump during the campaign, who now works as a contributor for CNN. He has said repeatedly that there have been 43,000 mining jobs added since Trump was elected president.

But that's not true.

While it is true is that the Labor Department figures show that 43,000 jobs have been added to "mining" jobs category since the final October jobs report just before the election, that category includes employment in oil and gas extraction, as well as traditional mining jobs.

Only 1,300 jobs were added at coal mines.

When CNNMoney walked Moore through the Labor Department statistics, he said that even 1,300 new coal mining jobs is good news for the battered industry. But, he conceded, "That's a lot less than 43,000."

http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/31/news/economy/trump-coal-jobs/index.html?iid=surge-story-summary

Moore may have been off by 41,700 jobs, but I guess one could argue he was just rounding up.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Chard posted:

Best case scenario it gets bounced off the SC, second best Gorsuch goes with the decision to slap it down and in vengeance Trump detonates his implanted spine bomb on live tv

Gorsuch dunking Trump would be the best possible outcome for causing blood pressure spikes in Trump's fat gently caress carcass.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

voltroon posted:

Hey fyi you're incredibly wrong about this ally vs. asexual thing. Most of the people who prefer A = ally are actually, y'know, gay or trans people who have a vested interest in the intracommunity politics of it, not "allies" at all. It's way too long to get into in significant dept but the basic break down is this: 1. People who are asexual but also hetero and cisgender benefit from both straight and cis privilege. Allowing them into the community gives them access to specific intracommunity resources (scholarships, beds at homeless shelters, etc.) that are specifically set aside for people who are actually oppressed under these axes. 2. "Ally" is a cover term often for questioning people who want to be able to explore their identity without being subject to the negative societal impacts that openly identifying as queer/trans subject you to (especially those in unsafe situations). 3. The term asexual has been ridiculously diluted and does not mean, as one thinking about the terms "homosexual" and "bisexual" would think, that a person who is ace is not attracted to anybody, but rather means that the person does not experience "sexual attraction" (i.e. want to have sex), which is not an axis of oppression. 4. This dilution has led to the blatantly homophobic "split attraction model" which encourages individuals to engage in internalized homophobia (e.g. "I'm bisexual but heteroromantic because I could never picture myself dating someone of the same sex, only loving them").

There's more to this but it's not straight people trying to exclude ace people; it's gay people trying to keep straight people out of their community, which is exclusive by necessity.

Hey fyi you're incredibly wrong about this ally vs. asexual thing. I'd get into it but you're rehashing the same old arguments that white gay men have used to exclude non-white people, trans people, gay women, bisexuals, and others. The community is for queer people of all stripes, and that 100% includes and should include ace people.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

DarkstarIV posted:

Welp there goes the SCOTUS, Donnie stacks the court 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999:n with regressives because LOL The loving Tortoise is a giant pos.

Note they're all competent judges that keep cocking blocking Donnie. monkey paw

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

VitalSigns posted:

So who is California's version of Joe Lieberman who will make sure to kill the bill (and Californians)

Ironically, it might be the super liberal Jerry Brown, because he is concerned what will happen if the AHCA kills the ACA Medicaid expansion, since those funds will make up a decent chunk of the funding. Its not an insurmountable cost addition, but it isn't a crazy worry

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Also reminder Nugent shat his pants so he would go to Nam and get booboos.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
If UHC passes the California legislature jerry brown will veto.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I think SCOTUS will hear it because it's such an important case. No idea how it'll come out.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Mr Interweb posted:

Stephen Moore is such a hack:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/31/news/economy/trump-coal-jobs/index.html?iid=surge-story-summary

Moore may have been off by 41,700 jobs, but I guess one could argue he was just rounding up.

The funny thing is that this will be used as evidence that the jobs for coal are coming back so nothing needs to be done. Maybe tax breaks or tax cuts but that's the refrain.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/870436143887777792

https://twitter.com/existentialfish/status/870453571665506305

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Goddamn it, now MSNBC is letting hacks like Nicole Wallace host their programs as well.

Liberal media indeed.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
Did he really just tweet "Make American great again!"?

Like, I get that it seems like Democrats like myself are constantly complaining about every little thing this man does, but maybe it's because he is literally at any given point being a ridiculous human being?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ogmius815 posted:

I think SCOTUS will hear it because it's such an important case. No idea how it'll come out.

Thomas will want to hear it because he can again report the whispers from dead colonials that he hear nightly, this time explaining that because black people are property they must travel to and from the us via freight or the baggage hold.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

JeffersonClay posted:

literally he has already done this

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

Hey fyi you're incredibly wrong about this ally vs. asexual thing. I'd get into it but you're rehashing the same old arguments that white gay men have used to exclude non-white people, trans people, gay women, bisexuals, and others. The community is for queer people of all stripes, and that 100% includes and should include ace people.

Not really, because asexual people don't experience systematic discrimination/oppression. You can't make those arguments for the other groups you listed. Also, not wanting to have sex isn't an orientation, it's a way you feel about sex. Sexual orientation is about who you are attracted to, not how you are attracted to them. If asexual actually meant "isn't attracted to anyone" instead of "doesn't specifically want to gently caress", I would have fewer objections. As it stands now, it doesn't make sense for ace people to fall under the queer umbrella unless they are otherwise LGBT. Ace people are not systematically excluded from accessing societal resources, nor do they lack political capital in the same way LGBT folks do.

Also, the encroachment of ace people into queer communities has resulted in similar things that happen whenever straight people end up in gay spaces: their needs/preferences end up being prioritized over the people who the community was formed for. There have been high school GSAs and other queer spaces where ace people have assumed leadership and then implemented or requested that gay people in those spaces refrain from PDA, because it upsets them, when those spaces were some of the only places that gay people could safely express PDA. That kind of stuff just rubs me the wrong way.

Anyways this is unrelated to Trump stuff so I should stop posting about it, so I apologize for dragging this out. I have a feeling that in 10 years I'll be considered a regressive shithead for thinking this way so I'm open to arguments in the opposite direction.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

JeffersonClay posted:

This is my fear as well. I would feel better about it if Jerry Brown was 10 years younger and could leverage "I passed UHC in CA" into a presidential run, but I'm worried as-is he won't sign it.

Even if he does veto though, I think it will have solid prospects under the next governor, who presumably could leverage it into a 2024 / 2028 run.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

"Aha! Dance puppets! I controlled you all along," I scream. Two McDonald's employees quit on the spot as I smear feces on the wall.

-dril, probably

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Mr Interweb posted:

Goddamn it, now MSNBC is letting hacks like Nicole Wallace host their programs as well.

Liberal media indeed.

Is she a hack? Serious question, since she's always seemed relatively sane to me. The snippets of interviews I've heard from her seem to indicate that she's not a Trumper.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Mister Adequate posted:

It's important to advocate for rights for specific sub-groups but it needs to be a holistic approach that includes all gender identities and sexualities.

There is absolutely a hierarchy of acceptance and privilege in the LGBT community. White gay men who aren't feminine in their mannerisms (whether natural or forced) are at the top. People that are transgendered, of color, or feminine men are at the bottom.

SNL doing a skit on RuPaul's Drag Race is actually a huge thing. Queer culture is reaching a much wider audience, and the best remedy to bigotry is exposure. The more you see queer people on the street or on TV, the more you realize who the gently caress cares, we all want the same things.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Pellisworth posted:

we all want the same things.

Like gay sex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/adamsteinbaugh/status/870475630193897473

• Locked thread