Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I believe Mark Hamill has admitted recently that on reading the script for TLJ, he told Johnson that he fundamentally disagrees with the direction he's taking the Luke Skywalker character, but he's resolved to do his best with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

I believe Mark Hamill has admitted recently that on reading the script for TLJ, he told Johnson that he fundamentally disagrees with the direction he's taking the Luke Skywalker character, but he's resolved to do his best with it.

Yeah, that was in one of the TLJ articles in the newest Vanity Fair. The funny thing is, the main Vanity Fair also talked about how Hamill did not like how Luke and Leia were (un)used in TFA, also.

I think one of those articles also mentioned that Daisy Ridley wasn't happy with Rey's story in TLJ, also. If this was with Abrams in TFA or Colin Treverrow in IX, I would be worried, but I have enough faith in Rian Johnson to give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Stolen from the RedLetterMedia thread.

Because of course it will.

There's also a Star Destroyer set that comes with a Supreme Leader Snoke figure as a regular but scarred dude wearing a tan shirt.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 27, 2017

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
The First Order :haw:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/868303903611396096

Some insight into how the Story Group works. A later replay confirms that this is how the novels work too, with JJM chiming in with his experiences on writing New Dawn

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Stolen from the RedLetterMedia thread.

Because of course it will.

There's also a Star Destroyer set that comes with a Supreme Leader Snoke figure as a regular but scarred dude wearing a tan shirt.

not surprised unfortunately. I am sure it will be ok, but god i hope it doesn't just rip off empire BUT DIFFERENT.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The middle chapter of each trilogy gets big walkers. It's not like the PT didn't do it too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

jivjov posted:

The middle chapter of each trilogy gets big walkers. It's not like the PT didn't do it too.

And people made fun of the poetry back then as well.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

jivjov posted:

The AT-TE looks really different from the AT-AT, though (the feet and general walker concept are about all that's similar):

Also, incidentally, one of my favorite vehicle designs. I'll wait until I see a non-Lego version of the new walker, but it doesn't look at the moment like they tried that hard on it.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 29, 2017

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Isn't the whole point of the first order that someone was hoarding assets in the unknown regions? So it would make complete sense that they would have access to the same type of weapons as the empire.

I mean, I get the vitriol or whatever, but it makes sense.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

jivjov posted:

Those were just kinda in the background of a much bigger battle. They weren't the focus like in Empire. Hopefully this movie is more like Clones(did I really just say that?) in that regard.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z0S0Z8lUTg

I don't have two hours to spare at the moment, but this guy did a feature length video discussing Kreia's philosophy.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

sportsgenius86 posted:

Isn't the whole point of the first order that someone was hoarding assets in the unknown regions? So it would make complete sense that they would have access to the same type of weapons as the empire.

I mean, I get the vitriol or whatever, but it makes sense.

No one cares if it makes sense, as the it's a story the writer can do whatever and make it makes sense. There is just a reason why it's there, because it plays towards the nostalgia.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z0S0Z8lUTg

I don't have two hours to spare at the moment, but this guy did a feature length video discussing Kreia's philosophy.

awesome i'll give it a shot. the best summation of the dark side is surprisingly from the revenge of the sith novel.

quote:

It is in this blazing moment that you finally understand the trap of the dark side, the final cruelty of the Sith—

Because now your self is all you will ever have.

And you rage and scream and reach through the Force to crush the shadow who has destroyed you, but you are so far less now than what you were, you are more than half machine, you are like a painter gone blind, a composer gone deaf, you can remember where the power was but the power you can touch is only a memory, and so with all your world-destroying fury it is only droids around you that implode, and equipment, and the table on which you were strapped shatters, and in the end, you cannot touch the shadow.

In the end, you do not even want to.

In the end, the shadow is all you have left.

Because the shadow understands you, the shadow forgives you, the shadow gathers you unto itself—

And within your furnace heart, you burn in your own flame.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

No one cares if it makes sense, as the it's a story the writer can do whatever and make it makes sense. There is just a reason why it's there, because it plays towards the nostalgia.

In another universe:

"Where is the First Order getting the research and technology budgets for all this new poo poo? They're not the Empire, it doesn't make sense."

This isn't even a hypothetical, this same two-sided argument happens in the Gundam fandom. If they reuse designs or ideas it's catering to nostalgia and if they invent new ideas it doesn't make any sense, where are they getting the development for these robots?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The clear answer is that the Zabis need AT-ATs and the Empire needs Zaku 2s

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dapper_Swindler posted:

awesome i'll give it a shot. the best summation of the dark side is surprisingly from the revenge of the sith novel.

ROTS novel had that little epigraph right at the end which is the most maudlin thing ever but which I really liked when I was 13 and still think really works for Star Wars:

quote:

The dark is generous and it is patient and it always wins – but in the heart of its strength lies its weakness: one lone candle is enough to hold it back.

Love is more than a candle.

Love can ignite the stars.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ImpAtom posted:

In another universe:

"Where is the First Order getting the research and technology budgets for all this new poo poo? They're not the Empire, it doesn't make sense."

This isn't even a hypothetical, this same two-sided argument happens in the Gundam fandom. If they reuse designs or ideas it's catering to nostalgia and if they invent new ideas it doesn't make any sense, where are they getting the development for these robots?

Gundam is garbage tho.

Gundam also does seem to hung on its past so it is a good comparison, I guess.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Lord Hydronium posted:

The AT-TE looks really different from the AT-AT, though (the feet and general walker concept are about all that's similar):

Also, incidentally, one of my favorite vehicle designs. I'll wait until I see a non-Lego version of the new walker, but it doesn't look at the moment like they tried that hard on it.

The funny thing is that even TFA had AT-TE looking walkers on Starkiller Base that were never clearly depicted, even in any kind of toy release. And I guess we won't now that we have the second movie in a row with AT-AT Reduxes.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the best summation of the dark side is surprisingly from the revenge of the sith novel.

Not surprising at all given who wrote the ROTS novelization.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
So I was at the mall today and decided to poke my head into the Lego store, and apparently there's a fairly large set of a TIE Phantom. Like, really? Wasn't it in all of one not-very-good rail shooter from 20 years ago?

(which I nonetheless played a lot because it was one of the few video games my computer could run decently)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It also cameo'd in Empire at War Forces of Corruption.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Tumblr of scotch posted:

So I was at the mall today and decided to poke my head into the Lego store, and apparently there's a fairly large set of a TIE Phantom. Like, really? Wasn't it in all of one not-very-good rail shooter from 20 years ago?

(which I nonetheless played a lot because it was one of the few video games my computer could run decently)

Are you sure it wasn't the defender or striker? Those would make a lot more sense especially because they just made the defender canon in rebels. Also Rebel Assault 2 was at least kinda cool the same way Dark Forces II was cool because of the cheesy fmvs.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Pops Mgee posted:

Are you sure it wasn't the defender or striker? Those would make a lot more sense especially because they just made the defender canon in rebels. Also Rebel Assault 2 was at least kinda cool the same way Dark Forces II was cool because of the cheesy fmvs.
It could've been a Striker I guess but it definitely wasn't a Defender, it had the straight-out panels.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Tumblr of scotch posted:

It could've been a Striker I guess but it definitely wasn't a Defender, it had the straight-out panels.

Three panels or two?

https://www.lego.com/en-us/starwars/products/tie-striker-75154

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

I think that was it and I just assumed I couldn't see the third panel because of the angle/laser. I'm kind of weirdly disappointed now. Lego needs to do an actual TIE Phantom. And TIE Hunter and K-Wing and all those other obscure one-off things.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
The TIE Interceptor is forever the most beautiful TIE and all subsequent wannabe TIE multi-panel abortions can just gently caress right off back to the hole they buried the EU in. :colbert:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Thankfully the TIE Defender is still canonical

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Preechr posted:

The TIE Interceptor is forever the most beautiful TIE and all subsequent wannabe TIE multi-panel abortions can just gently caress right off back to the hole they buried the EU in. :colbert:
I miss the Squint that I had back when SWG was a thing. It wasn't even that stupid red RGI variant with the high mass either, it was a proper no-shields-no-armor zoombox.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Squints: for the psychopaths of the Imperial Navy who didn't want a Bright.

Of course only the best pilots get inside a Starwing Assault Gunboat. That ship does not get enough love. Take the beautiful design of a lambda class shuttle and then make it into a gunship.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Tumblr of scotch posted:

I miss the Squint that I had back when SWG was a thing. It wasn't even that stupid red RGI variant with the high mass either, it was a proper no-shields-no-armor zoombox.

I miss my X-Wing and my weird mustard coloured Y-Wing too.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Arcsquad12 posted:

So here's a fun thing I found.
Fanfilm acting aside, that is some pretty neat looking CGI.

Going back to this for a second, if that star destroyer kept falling through the planet, would it eventually come out the other side or would it be crushed the further in it got?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Preechr posted:

You take that back! I've always had a soft spot for the TIE "hey,-the-Empire-maybe-thinks-Y-Wings-are-cool-too" Scimitar bomber.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

tribbledirigible posted:

You take that back! I've always had a soft spot for the TIE "hey,-the-Empire-maybe-thinks-Y-Wings-are-cool-too" Scimitar bomber.

The Interceptor came after the bomber, the bomber is legit. I'm talking about goofy poo poo like the TIE Cyclone, the TIE tanks, that horrible new bomber that I can't remember the name of that had a TIE cockpit hanging under a giant TIE solar panel, etc.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I seem to recall one book featuring an Imperial squadron flying x-wings themselves and completely wrecking the Rebels' poo poo because the Rebels have no experience flying against enemy x-wings.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Cythereal posted:

I seem to recall one book featuring an Imperial squadron flying x-wings themselves and completely wrecking the Rebels' poo poo because the Rebels have no experience flying against enemy x-wings.

But the rebel pilots simmed in and against most/all fighters in rebel and imperial service?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Preechr posted:

The Interceptor came after the bomber, the bomber is legit. I'm talking about goofy poo poo like the TIE Cyclone, the TIE tanks, that horrible new bomber that I can't remember the name of that had a TIE cockpit hanging under a giant TIE solar panel, etc.
Aw, I like the TIE tank. And the TIE droid. But yeah, some of the designs could get pretty silly. The Punisher in particular is pretty ridiculous.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

But the rebel pilots simmed in and against most/all fighters in rebel and imperial service?

When does that ever come up, though? This is Star Wars, bad guys (i.e. everyone not the Rebels) fly TIEs, hybrids, and old relics like Headhunters. That book's the only one I can think of where the Imperials ever went "So, x-wings are better than our TIEs in every way? gently caress it, let's get us some x-wings then."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think it shows up in the first rogue squadron book when they run the Redemption mission from X-Wing. Tycho starts using X-Wing tactics while flying a Tie Fighter and he throws off Corran's expectations

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Also it's a Thing that Rebels took their recruits from wherever possible and that means majority defectors from Imperial pilot programs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sure, that's what Biggs and Luke were planning to do - they'd get into the Rebellion via the Imperial academy.