Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Amish Ninja posted:

Is it just me or is Swain incredibly strong both mid and top? Rush your RoA (usually I'd modify my build based on matchup but the extra HP over time is so strong), get Liandry's and burn everyone down. You don't have a long range or too much burst damage even with Liandry's but you shove waves really well and are hard to kill. My damage is usually the highest or very close to the ADC's. He's able to consistently contribute a lot to teamfights. I usually play jungler but lately I've been doing this and stacking LP toward Gold. Is he weaker at higher ELOs? Who do I need to look out for in terms of matchups in either lane?

he's real beefy and can 1v5 lategame but the issue is he has no initiation so he's incredibly teamate reliant when it comes to lategame pushes/objectives it's p common for things to fall apart cause no one else wants to commit to fights. Did placements with a friend and he went swain top where we only ended up goin 50/50 cause of those sorts of situations, we since switched to a zilean/maokai duo and the ability to simply take initiative and pull the game around has made a world of difference. After placements we've had an 80% winrate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

If the enemy takes ahri pick Swain and enjoy your free win

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Amish Ninja posted:

Is it just me or is Swain incredibly strong both mid and top? Rush your RoA (usually I'd modify my build based on matchup but the extra HP over time is so strong), get Liandry's and burn everyone down. You don't have a long range or too much burst damage even with Liandry's but you shove waves really well and are hard to kill. My damage is usually the highest or very close to the ADC's. He's able to consistently contribute a lot to teamfights. I usually play jungler but lately I've been doing this and stacking LP toward Gold. Is he weaker at higher ELOs? Who do I need to look out for in terms of matchups in either lane?

You can ride the Swain train to plat if you want.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
uttering the words "im challenger" in teamchat before the game starts should result in a kick and a 24h ban. 4 supports in a row said that and well no i dont think they are a challenger. lvl20 normals:(

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

datajugend posted:

uttering the words "im challenger" in teamchat before the game starts should result in a kick and a 24h ban. 4 supports in a row said that and well no i dont think they are a challenger. lvl20 normals:(
They're actually in the "challenged" league

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Teikanmi posted:

24 minutes

Why me

Xin is absolute loving trash every time I get him on my team I just dodge. Same with udyr. These players always build full squishy which only works in splitpush 1v1 which only like 1% of them do, most of them just build like an adc except they dive into 5 people.

From champs who build full dmg like Xin I think Nocturne is actually good. Nocturne with armor pen can one shot adc with his ult and empowered auto. Also he has a spell shield + q movespeed to get away. Whenever I see a xin they always lose even if they have kills because their build is atrocious. I don't see many Nocturnes either but they normally tend to do well.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Playing with Noc in solo queue owns because you'll be getting crushed bot and he ults to gank top and their lane immediately runs toward tower like gently caress gently caress FXCK FGKRICKCCKCKCKCK

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
swain is strong because no one buys a grievous wounds item

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Swain is one of the worst offenders of "ball of stats" because if he gets ahead, he's unkillable but if he's behind he's a worthless walking gold pile for the enemy team

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

kingcobweb posted:

Playing with Noc in solo queue owns because you'll be getting crushed bot and he ults to gank top and their lane immediately runs toward tower like gently caress gently caress FXCK FGKRICKCCKCKCKCK

I had a solo q nocturne once who had like TONS of games and he tried to gank with ult like from the river brush

I was like "bro I don't mean to tell you your business but you can just walk from behind me that's literally why your ult is so amazing"

He could do it so that there was 0% chance he would ever be seen but he did it the other way??

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I've been carried by Nocturnes before, in fact more often than not I usually feel like Nocturnes on my team play pretty well

The really good ones know how to scare ganks off with their ult even if they're nowhere near and are good at blowing up the squishy with their combo

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Stefan Prodan posted:

I had a solo q nocturne once who had like TONS of games and he tried to gank with ult like from the river brush

I was like "bro I don't mean to tell you your business but you can just walk from behind me that's literally why your ult is so amazing"

He could do it so that there was 0% chance he would ever be seen but he did it the other way??

To be fair I was confused as poo poo the first time I played him because I expected his ult range to be like twice what it actually is. At rank one it's 2500; for comparison, maxed Zac jump is 1800 and Pantheon ult is 5500

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ulio posted:

Xin is absolute loving trash every time I get him on my team I just dodge. Same with udyr. These players always build full squishy which only works in splitpush 1v1 which only like 1% of them do, most of them just build like an adc except they dive into 5 people.

From champs who build full dmg like Xin I think Nocturne is actually good. Nocturne with armor pen can one shot adc with his ult and empowered auto. Also he has a spell shield + q movespeed to get away. Whenever I see a xin they always lose even if they have kills because their build is atrocious. I don't see many Nocturnes either but they normally tend to do well.

A Xin that gets ahead is an unholy terror.

Udyr is just garbage. I think, anyway. I haven't even seen that judo hobo ever in months.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

People don't understand how Udyr works.

This game featured a handful of kills where people got stunned, Tiger DoTed, then flashed immediately and died. And raged, so hard.

Then the whole enemy team complained about Warwick because "At least their team has a jungler who shows up," and all I could think was... "You guys put on the buffet Warwick didn't really have a chance to do anything."

E:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Udyr is just garbage.
"People don't understand how Udyr works."

(Seriously though, Udyr is fine - good, not great - but enemies can and should exploit your crippling weakness but picking like anyone with a short CD slow.)

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah but now imagine you play Udyr into a Ezreal / Morgana, Talon mid, Swain top and Ivern jungle and see how you feel about him when you're being kited forever and there's no way to ever get to a squishy

Also their team had no tank so there's that

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Udyrs stats are garbage right now, and i'm GUESSING its not because nobody knows how to play the champ that only auto attacks and has been in the game for 19 years.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Tales of Woe posted:

Swain is really strong vs anyone who doesn't outrange him which means he's good top and matchup-dependent in mid. A good jungler is gonna try to kill him before he's level 6 but if he makes it there unscathed he's pretty hard to deal with.
I am trying to learn to solo lane with swain. I seem to only have bad issues with champs with dashes that can get in my poo poo, like ekko or yasuo. Also, if I am up against an AD champ that rushes executioners around when I hit six, that sucks.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Teikanmi posted:

Yeah but now imagine you play Udyr into a Ezreal / Morgana, Talon mid, Swain top and Ivern jungle and see how you feel about him when you're being kited forever and there's no way to ever get to a squishy

Also their team had no tank so there's that
If I'm picking Udyr last into that team I deserve to lose.

Their team not having anyone stockier than Cinderhulk Warwick was also not the issue. I managed to gank top successfully at 3, then rotate on Warwick at his red (assuming he did the full Blue-Gromp-Wolves since he was 3) where I picked up another kill and his other buff.

In news to no one, the jungler who ganks often and capitalizes on their enemies' poor positioning is the one that puts their team ahead to win. Securing all 3 dragons, Herald, and the first tower probably also helped.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

gvibes posted:

I am trying to learn to solo lane with swain. I seem to only have bad issues with champs with dashes that can get in my poo poo, like ekko or yasuo. Also, if I am up against an AD champ that rushes executioners around when I hit six, that sucks.

Also his auto attack is one of the worst in the game

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

gvibes posted:

harass them often, more often than they can all in, and save your magic circle to set all ins. if they can not burst you down you can sustain back up and keep pressure up. his auto kind of sucks so auto harassing is a pain but never give up dammit. swain would not give up on you

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pog boyfriend posted:

harass them often, more often than they can all in, and save your magic circle to set all ins. if they can not burst you down you can sustain back up and keep pressure up. his auto kind of sucks so auto harassing is a pain but never give up dammit. swain would not give up on you

This is an incredibly hard lesson to learn for people like me who are bad at League.

It took me forever to be able to do anything against a Riven or Rumble or whatever because it's just cooldowns you're playing around and I'm used to a much slow pace than an 8-second clock.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Teikanmi posted:

it's still really bad but it used to be so much worse

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
I don't think they improved on it at all, it's still low AD, weird windup, and his last hitting assist in the laser bird always leaves minions just low enough for the poo poo eating melee minion on your side to get the last hit instead of you

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

people used to poo poo talk old zileans animations but honestly long wind ups are satisfying to me and i used to play adc zilean on my smurf(i never play real builds against noobs). swains is janky but not like old jax or karthus janky

E: and rude loving hell he can take that scroll and stick it somewhere safe

pog boyfriend fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 2, 2017

Amish Ninja
Jul 2, 2006

It's called survival of the fittest. If you can't slam with the best, jam with the rest.

Teikanmi posted:

It's not great. Took me a little while to get used to last hitting with him but once I got that part down it was fine. I always play the Tyrant skin though, and supposedly the AA animation on that skin isn't as janky as the others.

pog boyfriend posted:

Pretty much. Level Q first and use it to both harass them when they go to last hit and to aid in your own last hitting. Pay attention to how Q prioritizes targets - Q + E on your opponent can drop their health pretty fast if they don't walk out of it immediately. Get a sense of how they respond to your harass so that you can predict how they'll move when you try to W them; You do mostly want to use it defensively but if you're confident enough and they're passive, you can also use it to kill them 1v1 once you've gotten them low enough through attrition. Otherwise you'll want to save it for ganks. While harassing your opponent can be effective at denying them farm and wearing them down in lane, do your best not to sacrifice any CS while doing so.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i think the most underrated mid laner is xerath, since he has a fairly easy stun and one of the best creep clearing skills in the game. it's nearly impossible to push towers without baron buff against a competent xerath player. all my favorite support champions get smushed by him too

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

is xerath actually good or do xerath stans just sell him as good by stomping people who have no idea how he works ? who knows,

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Allow me to introduce my friend "VIMASTER"

31 minutes

Luckily I carried his dumb rear end by telling him exactly what to do at all points in the game and who to ult and when to ult them

edit: oh and he gave first blood and a blue buff to their anivia at level 3 by diving her under tower when she had egg (though anivia just stunned her and vi didn't even pop her passive)

Teikanmi fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 2, 2017

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

kingcobweb posted:

Was it your nemesis and mine, KingOfEloHell, the worst King in all of league

I played with this guy and he was toxic and bad. That being said I got autofilled into support and didn't dodge so I probably deserved some of it. We won anyways. It's my only ranked win ever playing support.

Welp, that's my KingOfEloHell story.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

pog boyfriend posted:

is xerath actually good or do xerath stans just sell him as good by stomping people who have no idea how he works ? who knows,

Vel'koz came out at the same time as the xerath rework and has been slightly better than xerath for pretty much the entire time since then.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

pog boyfriend posted:

Xerath's Q hitbox is in the top4 dumbest, alongside Yasuo/Janna tornados and Amumu Q.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

I like xerath, he has the waveclear of ziggs (well, not globally) so he can play safe if he has to, but also can be more aggressive with stunorbs if you aren't going to get murdered. It's also way easier to 360 noscope his q.

protip screw ludens and build a liandries on him instead, its basically the same damage and you also get hp.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

iSurrender posted:

Xerath's Q hitbox is in the top4 dumbest, alongside Yasuo/Janna tornados and Amumu Q.

NAUTILUS

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Thresh hook is up there too

Also that Syndra move where she knocks the orbs back has way more range than it looks liks

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
The worst indicator is the Cait one after you step on a trap. I'll be so far back from the death indicator and she'll still headshot with it and it's BULLSHIT

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

Nautilus hook makes me mad at video games because at max range I'll see it fall to the ground as if it missed, I get like .25 seconds of relief, THEN I get hooked by it.

I'd probably be less annoyed if it had the same range but that particular animation didn't happen

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Nautilus's hook is made of super strong magnets

stiknork
Aug 3, 2006

swain is a disgusting lane bully top that is basically strong at every point in the game, i've been riding the swain elo train at 60% winrate in plat

he's less of a lane bully mid but still pretty good

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Lux's snare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Do you guys play with low framerates or high latency? I don't recall that many projectiles having these incredibly forgiving hitboxes.

• Locked thread