Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Yeah but like... don't they keep winning?

Im being hyperbolic, but it certainly seems that way. All of the negatives, the satire, any sort of tragedy being pushed to the side for AND THEN WE MADE A BIGGER ROBOT WITH EVEN MORE GUNS. And, yes, satire hasn't really been a thing since 2nd but stilllllll...

Winning? Not really. They're effectively being ignored by everyone except a small part of the Imperium's military. The scale of their accomplishments is significant only to them.

If they ditched the bullshit optimism they could accomplish so much more. Just like humanity's optimism created an ignorance that ended up loving them over.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jun 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Tau are the europeans expanding to other lands and enrichening the lives of the lesser races around them because they think it is good and just and incredibly magnanimous of them and are therefore grimdark as gently caress.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Tau are the europeans expanding to other lands and enrichening the lives of the lesser races around them because they think it is good and just and incredibly magnanimous of them and are therefore grimdark as gently caress.

and euthanizing undesirable elements and preventing people from breeding and

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Yeah but like... don't they keep winning?

Im being hyperbolic, but it certainly seems that way. All of the negatives, the satire, any sort of tragedy being pushed to the side for AND THEN WE MADE A BIGGER ROBOT WITH EVEN MORE GUNS. And, yes, satire hasn't really been a thing since 2nd but stilllllll...

Not really. Their first contact war with the Imperium was a losing battle for the Tau before the Imperium pulled out. The Tau despite their better tech and tactics were far too outnumbered and while they held the Imperium on a single world for a long rear end time, they were still losing ground, because despite the Imperium having long exhausted their forces supply lines in that battle and constantly using the same losing tactics, they pretty much had an infinite number of bodies to throw at the Tau and were very very slowly gaining ground. But they fall back to defend different worlds from stuff like Orks and Tyranids and entered their cold war with the Tau. The Tau considered it a learning experience and adjusted some tactics and tech, like their air forces to better combat the Imperium. The Imperium did not learn anything and continued making the same mistakes like overstretched supply lines. But it was a still a battle in the Imperium's favor that only ended due to outside factors.

When the Imperium (Likely due to chaos or something) restarted their big war with the Tau for some reason, they successfully assassinated the Leader of the Tau Empire. And when they were not able to drive the Tau out they set the entire system on fire. (Which was put out by the Great Rift)

When the Fire went out they sent forth their fourth expansion fleet it vanished right away. (GW hinted that it went into the Rift and along with there being Tau trapped in the Warp some of the fleet was spat out at the other end of the Galaxy. ) And losing a fleet like this is a much bigger deal for the Tau then the Imperium. (Naturally they sent out the 5th one after who are likely going to run into the Necrons.)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I would love to see something like the Tau desperately trying to find a way to even out the crushing odds against them, which eventually leads to them deploying sentient artificial intelligence against their enemies. Make it so that the Tau slowly give up more and more control as hope fades. Eventually the Tau are little more than passengers in their suits.

But then again I want a Xenos Dogs of War army so my opinions are likely terrible.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Aesaar posted:

That's why the Imperium is so paranoid about it, and why I feel the Tau being immune to it is cheap. They're completely separate from the primary conflict of the setting, but unlike the Tyranids, they have no good reason to be.

Tau, Tyranid, Orks, and Necrons have dick-all to do with Chaos and thank goodness they don't so there are other corners of the universe to care about. If you want everything to be about Chaos there's plenty of Horus Heresy content for you to enjoy.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So speaking of tau, are vespid any good now?

I remember loving them in dark crusade but they always seem really underwhelming on the table.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

titty_baby_ posted:

i thought humans totally had psykers before the emperor. like isn the emperor made up of the combined essence of a bunch of shamans (aka psykers) who saw chaos coming and sacrificed themselves to make a greater being?

They did, but they were weaker than the emperor and thus Chaos didn't care as much. And before those shamans, there were no psykers. The psykers didn't even show up until millions of years of human evolution had gone by.

Although I guess the Tau are long past the point where Humans developed psykers, but I think the idea is that's just because Tau developed technology super early in their history.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chutche2 posted:

So speaking of tau, are vespid any good now?

I remember loving them in dark crusade but they always seem really underwhelming on the table.

They are 15 points each.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

When the Fire went out they sent forth their fourth expansion fleet it vanished right away. (GW hinted that it went into the Rift and along with there being Tau trapped in the Warp some of the fleet was spat out at the other end of the Galaxy. )

And the story is going to be a really big waste of potential where nothing important happens aside from when they invariably add a sexy Necron character partway through.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I was bold in declaring beak helmets being the shittiest of all marine helmets, and I'll be bold here: Tau (T"a'u) are aesthetically pleasing as is, and they certainly fit in the 40k universe as is.

They're entire system of life is pretty hosed up. You exist entirely to serve the state - your individual desires are meaningless. Being crushed under the boot heel of the state is the same exact thing as the Imperium, the only difference is that the Imperium is (was? I don't know with Cawl making new poo poo now) regressive and the tau are advancing technologically.

Pretty grimdark to me.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

But then again I want a Xenos Dogs of War army so my opinions are likely terrible.

Dogs of War was the first (and only) WHFB army I ever fully painted and completed. Id have loved that in 40k. :(

Everything you just typed MonsterEnvy has a "and yet they prevailed" vibe, I dont know. I'm imagining some Fire Warriors watching the Imperium clear out to go deal with something elsewhere and then a full Ordinatus drives by filling up the horizon and they are all "What in the gently caress is that thing built to shoot at?"

It just doesnt seem like the in-over-their-heads carries through at all to the OH, you know what it is? It's the people who play Tau that aren't Tron-themed.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Der Waffle Mous posted:

And the story is going to be a really big waste of potential where nothing important happens aside from when they invariably add a sexy Necron character partway through.

It's implied it's less for them to do things with it as much as it gives a good fluff reason for Tau to fight things they normally would not like Space Wolves who are on the opposite side of the Galaxy from them.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

MonsterEnvy posted:

They are 15 points each.

So for 75 points their shooting kills 2 marines a turn. That's not the worst thing for something that moves 14 inches. Markerlights should help them out some.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dogs of War was the first (and only) WHFB army I ever fully painted and completed. Id have loved that in 40k. :(

Everything you just typed MonsterEnvy has a "and yet they prevailed" vibe, I dont know. I'm imagining some Fire Warriors watching the Imperium clear out to go deal with something elsewhere and then a full Ordinatus drives by filling up the horizon and they are all "What in the gently caress is that thing built to shoot at?"

It just doesnt seem like the in-over-their-heads carries through at all to the OH, you know what it is? It's the people who play Tau that aren't Tron-themed.

Well when their leader was assassinated and when they lost their fleet they did not gain anything.

On the 'What the gently caress is that thing" the Tau were very shocked when they first encountered Titans. They had heard some rumors, but thought if someone had the resources to build something that insane, they would build something more practical. Then they found out the Imperium was willing spend a stupid amount of resources to build Castle Sized Mechs. Due to not thinking the Imperium was insane enough to build things like Titans, they did not actually have a good counter for the Titans at first.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
One thing to note is that Titans are relics of the dark age of technology, and at that time were explicitly built for warfare.

Other things the Imperium uses like Leman Russ tanks are actually farming tractors adapted to have a turret on the top (back when the Mechanicum would still adapt things to other uses during the heresy). They were never designed for war when Humanity was at its technological height like Titans were.

It's feasible that the Tau still has not matched the level of technology that goes into a titan. As far as I know, Tau don't physically plug into their battlesuits like titan pilots do.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
Trying to actually make a Brigade-sized vanilla space marine force in a reasonable point limit is...tricky. But I want those sweet sweet re-rolls.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
Sorry if this has already been brought up but can you really not put dreadnoughts in drop pods anymore? If this is true it makes me pretty sad.

Also built my first list without battlescribe in years and it was like pulling teeth, not sure if it's the new system or just me getting spoiled by the ease of Battlescribe but I can't wait for them to update it for 8th.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Also built my first list without battlescribe in years and it was like pulling teeth, not sure if it's the new system or just me getting spoiled by the ease of Battlescribe but I can't wait for them to update it for 8th.
It's 100% the new system.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Hah, here I was thinking I might dip my toes back into 40k, and two pages of this thread has cured me.

Bless.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hamshot posted:

One thing to note is that Titans are relics of the dark age of technology, and at that time were explicitly built for warfare.

Other things the Imperium uses like Leman Russ tanks are actually farming tractors adapted to have a turret on the top (back when the Mechanicum would still adapt things to other uses during the heresy). They were never designed for war when Humanity was at its technological height like Titans were.

It's feasible that the Tau still has not matched the level of technology that goes into a titan. As far as I know, Tau don't physically plug into their battlesuits like titan pilots do.

The Leman Russ is a tank, not a tractor. In Epic there were tanks based on the Land Crawler tractors (I think the Siegfried?) The Russ is specifically mentioned as being an STC battle tank that was recovered by Leman Russ and named in his honor.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
They retconned the leman russ origin and instead gave it to Knights which is far more amusing.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Hustlin Floh posted:

The Leman Russ is a tank, not a tractor. In Epic there were tanks based on the Land Crawler tractors (I think the Siegfried?) The Russ is specifically mentioned as being an STC battle tank that was recovered by Leman Russ and named in his honor.

That's sooort of a retcon. The original design was for a tractor, and I think the STC they recovered was just the design to retrofit it into a MBT that was hella efficient at the time.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've never seen a single source for the tractor thing. If someone can find one I'll admit I'm wrong, but I'm way more willing to attribute that to some fan theory that took off years ago. Especially since "tractors with battle cannons" is a pretty 40k concept.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

S.J. posted:

My favorite parts about the Tau/Chaos interactions are the Tau going 'what the gently caress is this poo poo', trying to talk to it, and then just blowing it the gently caress away

Doesn't one of the Dawn of War games have a sequence where a Chaos Prince starts making Telepathic threats against your sides leader and if you happen to be playing as the Tau your guy can't actually hear him and just complains about comm static, much to the Chaos guys annoyance.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

MonsterEnvy posted:

They are 15 points each.

Seeing this got me curious about how many different names they came up with for Deep Strike across the books. There are 23, without counting the ones that have extra disembarkation rules or a restriction to first turn.

e:
  • Teleport Strike
  • Raptor Strike
  • Jump Pack Assault
  • Meteoric Descent
  • Aid Unlooked For
  • Aerial Drop
  • Skystrike
  • Independent Operative
  • Hunters From Hyperspace
  • Haunting Horrors
  • Master(s) of Stealth
  • Cry of the Wind
  • Children of Bharroth
  • From Out of the Shadows
  • Winged Strike
  • Kunnin' Infiltrator(s)
  • Manta Strike
  • Plunge From The Sky
  • Hidden Hunters
  • Death From Below
  • Bombardment Organism

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jun 2, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

mango sentinel posted:

Tau, Tyranid, Orks, and Necrons have dick-all to do with Chaos and thank goodness they don't so there are other corners of the universe to care about. If you want everything to be about Chaos there's plenty of Horus Heresy content for you to enjoy.

Gork and Mork could take the Chaos Gods in any tag-team stipulation you want.

Tables, ladders, and chairs for preference. :orks: :orks101:

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery

adamantium|wang posted:

Seeing this got me curious about how many different names they came up with for Deep Strike across the books. There are 23, without counting the ones that have extra disembarkation rules or a restriction to first turn.

e:
  • Teleport Strike
  • Raptor Strike
  • Jump Pack Assault
  • Meteoric Descent
  • Aid Unlooked For
  • Aerial Drop
  • Skystrike
  • Independent Operative
  • Hunters From Hyperspace
  • Haunting Horrors
  • Master(s) of Stealth
  • Cry of the Wind
  • Children of Bharroth
  • From Out of the Shadows
  • Winged Strike
  • Kunnin' Infiltrator(s)
  • Manta Strike
  • Plunge From The Sky
  • Hidden Hunters
  • Death From Below
  • Bombardment Organism

Honestly I like this, even if it is merely a cheeky/fluffy way to still have a USR in the game.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

This is the flip side to each army having shields that do completely different things.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
As long as they all have the exact same rules the name of it doesn't matter that much imo.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Hustlin Floh posted:

I have never met a Tau player who didn't talk like he was verbally posting on 4chan.

I know one who was a brilliant power gamer. He was also a filthy, unshaven, unrepentant Atlantic Canadian bricklayer and hick and about as far from the 4chan stereotype as you could possibly get. He sold his tau army because winning was too easy and picked up 'nids because he wanted a challenge.

Hell of a guy, if you can get past the relative lack of polite social mores.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

mango sentinel posted:

Liquid Communism posted:

Gork and Mork could take the Chaos Gods in any tag-team stipulation you want.

Tables, ladders, and chairs for preference. :orks: :orks101:

Its actually canon that several Orks, especially rambunctious youngins, will turn to Khorne worship.

They almost immediately get krumped by propah orks in the name of Mork and Gork :orks101:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Fearless posted:

I know one who was a brilliant power gamer. He was also a filthy, unshaven, unrepentant Atlantic Canadian bricklayer and hick and about as far from the 4chan stereotype as you could possibly get. He sold his tau army because winning was too easy and picked up 'nids because he wanted a challenge.

Hell of a guy, if you can get past the relative lack of polite social mores.

Yeah I've come across very few Tau players ever, but the main guy who I remember rocking faces against the mech spam at the end of 5th was a very camp physicist.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Syncopated posted:

As long as they all have the exact same rules the name of it doesn't matter that much imo.

It's good and cool to have to know 23 names for something instead of 1. This makes the rules easier to understand.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

TTerrible posted:

It's good and cool to have to know 23 names for something instead of 1. This makes the rules easier to understand.

The rule is literally on the sheet though. Like, you're being obtuse for its own sake.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jun 2, 2017

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

The rule is literally on the sheet though. Like, you're being obtuse for its own sake.

You're playing an army you don't own so don't know the rules for. The player says "These guys have the sanguine strike rule, so I'm doing this" and then puts them somewhere on the table. "Wait a minute buddy, what does sanguine strike do?" "Its like old deep strike, here is the warscroll" "ok thanks"

VS

"These guys are deep striking"
"Ok"

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

TTerrible posted:

Yeah I hate the way they refuse to explain the meaning of all English words on the datasheet too and expect me to carry a dictionary around to all games. Bloody GW.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Hustlin Floh posted:

I've never seen a single source for the tractor thing. If someone can find one I'll admit I'm wrong, but I'm way more willing to attribute that to some fan theory that took off years ago. Especially since "tractors with battle cannons" is a pretty 40k concept.

To be fair, a tractor with a cannon and some metal plates bolted on is basically what real world tanks of that tech level were anyway.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

xtothez posted:

Yeah I hate the way they refuse to explain the meaning of all English words on the datasheet too and expect me to carry a dictionary around to all games. Bloody GW.

Yes, that is exactly what is happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

TTerrible posted:

You're playing an army you don't own so don't know the rules for. The player says "These guys have the sanguine strike rule, so I'm doing this" and then puts them somewhere on the table. "Wait a minute buddy, what does sanguine strike do?" "Its like old deep strike, here is the warscroll" "ok thanks"

VS

"These guys are deep striking"
"Ok"

This is actually way easier to understand as opposed to the dozen or so ways to come in from reserve in the old edition so you're a moron.

• Locked thread