Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A technology cost multiplier slider would be nice, to slow games down a bit. I always end up hitting really high tech really fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Mister Adequate posted:

Right? I'm loving ready. I also suggested to Wiz on twitter that they add a checkbox to enable all crises in one game, probably not worth their trouble but would be nice to not need a mod.

I suggested same thing, I do use a mod for it but would like to not have to.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I wonder if it's possible to make a mod that triggers every crisis if one of them goes off. Preferably with a setting for simultaneously or staggered.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Thought I'd start up a new observer game after getting Utopia, but observer mode is all hosed up now. Is there any way to turn off the weird auto-camera?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Poil posted:

I wonder if it's possible to make a mod that triggers every crisis if one of them goes off. Preferably with a setting for simultaneously or staggered.

Modding all their trigger events to trigger the others' trigger events would work so long as you checked for "crisis in progress" flags so you don't get infinite crisis triggering recursion.

Setting is doable with a menu at the start of the game that asks what you prefer and a check later that either sets a time to fire or immediately fires other crises as appropriate.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Cease to Hope posted:

extremely adaptable is kind of OP right now, and sedentary and repugnant are more or less free trait points. the other negative traits actually hurt. your traits only really matter for the early game unless you're not conquering your neighbors, though.

as for ethos, the Default Good Build is some mix of egalitarian/militarist/spiritualist/materialist. that plays like most 4X games: expand, conquer your first neighbor or two, vassalize everyone else, win. always give other aliens full citizenship and social welfare, and you won't have any trouble with revolts from conquering people. militarist is all good if you get in fights, egalitarian is more minerals and minerals are the Do Things resource, spiritualist helps with stability, materialist helps you get robots soon enough that you can use them to jumpstart your early growth.

xenophile isn't bad but it doesn't really do anything. xenophobe gives you control of more space, which is good, but at the cost of not being able to give conquered aliens full citizenship (and thus irritating the egalitarian faction), which means you will occasionally have revolt problems. pacifist is super stable and gets a boost on seeing ascension perks if you want to consume all of the new content, but it means you need to expand by declaring liberation wars then immediately diplovassalizing the liberated subnation - you'll be familiar with strats like this if you play EU4, but it is slower and a bit harder than just conquering people. authoritarian is just plain bad. slaves give you lots of minerals, but they mean your civ is relatively unstable even on a good day. assimilating aliens is rough.

for your government, you'll almost always want a diplomacy. it gives you a ton of extra influence - influence can be hard to come by otherwise - and it spawns the egalitarian faction, which is easy to satisfy because you already want to give them everything they want.

tech is useful for a lot of things but it's not super important for military conquest. the main question of who wins wars is who can pump more minerals into ships

this advice is a shortcut to winning stellaris like a 4X game. once you smooth out your start, you should explode and just roll over everyone else in the midgame and win before really hardcore alliances form and the awakened empires/endgame crises show up.

Sure with a few variations we generally know what the most optimal choices and combos are, but I think Doctor Reynolds was more asking what cool stories we have created with our custom Empires.

I'm interested myself. Has anybody tried a unique combination of traits and civics or role-played in a different way that you weren't sure would work well at first but became a really fun way to play?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

GunnerJ posted:

Modding all their trigger events to trigger the others' trigger events would work so long as you checked for "crisis in progress" flags so you don't get infinite crisis triggering recursion.

Thats a feature :confused:

WHAT WAS, WILL BE; WHAT WILL BE, WAS

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

One silly thing I just thought of: In Multiplayer you can trade planets. Does that mean you could have psychic cyborgs with 9 trait points?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

JuniperCake posted:

I think you can get both of those factions can't you?

No. I shifted from pacifist to spiritualist xenophobe in one of my previous games and the isolationist faction turned into supremacy faction. Isolationist faction is the xenophobe one, but can apparently only be a thing if you're also pacifist, it'll just vanish if you shift away from pacifist.

Prosperity is the pacifist one and that'll stay.

e: Ooops, I think I misunderstood. Yeah, you can get the isolationist faction and the prosperity faction, since one is xenophobes and and the other is pacifists.

genericnick posted:

One silly thing I just thought of: In Multiplayer you can trade planets. Does that mean you could have psychic cyborgs with 9 trait points?

It's possible to break the game very easily if you play multiplayer cooperatively.

Truga fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 2, 2017

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
I've just done Enigmatic Fortress and I have a question about the rewards;

I've only gotten the Decoder, but the tool tip text said I would get all the other technologies as well? What gives? Has it bugged out, or will they pop later?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Hezzy posted:

I've just done Enigmatic Fortress and I have a question about the rewards;

I've only gotten the Decoder, but the tool tip text said I would get all the other technologies as well? What gives? Has it bugged out, or will they pop later?

It was changed in the last patch. Now you only get one of the Enigmatic Fortress technologies, semi-randomly chosen, not all of them.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Main Paineframe posted:

It was changed in the last patch. Now you only get one of the Enigmatic Fortress technologies, semi-randomly chosen, not all of them.

Well poo poo. Can I cheat to get the shields?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Hezzy posted:

Well poo poo. Can I cheat to get the shields?

Yeah, it's kind of a bummer now. The shields and the reactor are just so obviously superior to everything else in it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

You can savescum if you want, and it should be possible to add the tech to your stuff with the console too.

If you're psionic you can get an identical shield tech out of the Shroud though!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I get what they're going for with thr Fortress rewards, but given how many there are maybe they should consider making it two randoms from the list instead of just one.

And also make the Automated Dreadnought less garbage thanks.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

I get what they're going for with thr Fortress rewards, but given how many there are maybe they should consider making it two randoms from the list instead of just one.

And also make the Automated Dreadnought less garbage thanks.

Eh, I kind of think the dreadnought is in a good place. I mean, it's garbage if you're rolling up on it with a 100k fleet but if you take it on with a 25k fleet (which is doable) then it's a solid addition to your armada. By the late game I just park it at my homeworld in the museum fleet along with whatever ancient shipyard and gas giant recovery ships I've still got kicking around, but it's got a really solid role up until you start facing off against 100k death balls.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Hey, nice. They just put out a patch for the 1.7 beta branch that fixes some of the major bugs. I had honestly put the game on hold because of a number of these. Guess it is time to Stellaris this weekend.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/bradbury-beta-updated-with-gameplay-fixes-1-7-2-checksum-a220.1026699/

quote:

- Fixed starvation having no effect on happiness and growth
- Fixed drain Sector resources function not working with <200 Influence
- Stopped AI from nonsensically terraforming its planets and wasting a ton of resources
- Fixed Xenophile Factions wrongly considering robots to be "alien slaves"
- Fixed pre-sentients wrongly counting as slaves for the Xenoist faction
- Fixed Governing Ethics Attraction having no effect
- Fixed Devouring Swarms being able to conduct diplomacy with Enclaves
- Fixed issue preventing you from attacking the Unbidden Portal despite destroying the Anchors first
- Fixed rare crash when a threat was added
- Fixed crash when starting terraforming
- Fixed crash in swarm AI fleet update
- Fixed crash in swarm AI when a planet was destroyed
- Fixed crash when starting the game with mods that disable a tech module
- Increased society research gained by consuming Pops as a Devouring Swarm
- Stopped an exploit against the Scourge with resettling Pops to occupied worlds
- Fixed sector AI automatically deleting Slave Processing Facilities if they had less than 5 slaves
- Fixed missing terraform option for cold barren planets
- Retaking a planet from the Scourge now properly stops purging of Pops
- Fixed terraforming of inhabited planets causing tile resources to be reshuffled, because Betharian is pretty rad, but shouldn't be able to teleport
- Fixed some missing localizations
- Fixed Android defense armies wrongly being able to embark and invade planets
- Subjects will now always accept being gifted planets by their overlord
- Fixed incorrect city images for primitive civilizations

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Cyrano4747 posted:

Eh, I kind of think the dreadnought is in a good place.

The only problem with the dreadnought is you can't upgrade the drive. Considering I'm never happy until I have jump drives but usually get the dreadnought well before that, that's a bit of a problem.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

ulmont posted:

The only problem with the dreadnought is you can't upgrade the drive. Considering I'm never happy until I have jump drives but usually get the dreadnought well before that, that's a bit of a problem.

Eh, not really. By the time I'm grabbing jump drives I'm far enough along that i can peel it out of my 100k doom stack with 15 battleships and just park it in the museum fleet along with all the other old, free poo poo.

The bigger issue in my mind is how obviously superior to everything jump drives are. I grab them every single game and I think that's a big part of why I never see anything but the unbidden.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Well, the good news is that a bug currently lets you upgrade the rest of the fleet it's in and it can still jump with them :v:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Ships you get from events need to be made upgrade-able somehow, maybe by adding them to the designer.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Filthy Monkey posted:

Hey, nice. They just put out a patch for the 1.7 beta branch that fixes some of the major bugs. I had honestly put the game on hold because of a number of these. Guess it is time to Stellaris this weekend.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/bradbury-beta-updated-with-gameplay-fixes-1-7-2-checksum-a220.1026699/

drat this is good stuff. Could I apply this patch and keep playing an in progress Iron Man game do you think?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Captain Oblivious posted:

drat this is good stuff. Could I apply this patch and keep playing an in progress Iron Man game do you think?

They gave a definite "maybe."

Jamor@Paradox posted:

The answer is: "probably?". Basically any time we change the game code it does introduce the possibility of weirdness with older saves. Give the patch a try if you like, or you can hold off on opting in until you've finished a current game. We wanted to give people the option for both.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Ethics attraction actually does something now? Wonder how much of a something it will be. At the very least it'll give spiritualists a small influence boost, I guess.

I also very much appreciate that the official patch notes have this sentence: "Fixed terraforming of inhabited planets causing tile resources to be reshuffled, because Betharian is pretty rad, but shouldn't be able to teleport"

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Shugojin posted:

You can savescum if you want, and it should be possible to add the tech to your stuff with the console too.

If you're psionic you can get an identical shield tech out of the Shroud though!

I'm on an ironman playthrough, but I've got a trainer that enables the console. Do you know what the command would be?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Filthy Monkey posted:

These patch notes remind me of the Paradox I used to know.

Guess it is time to fire uo a new game and see what unfolds.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is the next incremental going to have the crisis ai improvements?

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
I just opted into the new beta, but my saves weren't there anymore.

I reverted back and my saves are still not showing up.

I've got back ups of them, but I'm not sure why they're not showing up!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Baron Porkface posted:

Is the next incremental going to have the crisis ai improvements?

I have no actual evidence, but almost certainly not; it'll come in a named patch.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Got ~140 hours of gameplay and haven't met swarm yet, someone help. :v:

It is probably partially because I research jump drives as fast as I can, but they are too good not to... and when I spent one game just waiting around without researching jump drives and with stagnant empires turned off, still nothing.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Xarn posted:

It is probably partially because I research jump drives as fast as I can, but they are too good not to... and when I spent one game just waiting around without researching jump drives and with stagnant empires turned off, still nothing.

This is what I've been saying since forever.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Trying a multiplayer game with 1.7.2, with a friend who has flaky internet. Where before they would just occasionally lag, now they are just outright dropped. I am not sure it is better, at least in this instance.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Xarn posted:

Yeah, the game is kind of annoying with the way the Swarm is just an "if neither of the others happens". Maybe if the Unbidden were changed to be tied to someone loving around in the Shroud a lot? Or maybe just having a researchable tech that improves the chances of the Swarm happening somehow in exchange for something? Not sure what that could be though since they're extragalactic.

I dunno, fortunately I'm not a game designer :v:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Hezzy posted:

I'm on an ironman playthrough, but I've got a trainer that enables the console. Do you know what the command would be?

Why would you even bother with Ironman at that point? Just play a normal game and it'll run even faster to boot.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

binge crotching posted:

Why would you even bother with Ironman at that point? Just play a normal game and it'll run even faster to boot.

Cheevos

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

ulmont posted:

They gave a definite "maybe."

Guess I'll just back up the save, try it, and revert out of the beta patch if need be.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Hezzy posted:

Actually, checking on this I can't find a console command that gives a tech. Maybe it does exist but I don't see it on the wiki. Sorry :smith:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Yeah, whenever I'm not trying to get achievements I usually play the star trek mod.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Forewarning, long rear end rambling post.

Anyone have any tips for sticking with a game? I have a few things that hold me back from actually getting to end game. I think I have like a few hundred hours and have never gotten to an end game crisis. I always get bored first. Basically:
-I can't not micro or min/max. I don't do it to the 9th degree but I abhor sectors and constantly have to play building games on planets. I'd rather not have a sector if it's planet's are going to count against me for unity and research but I can't trust it to compensate. I'll sacrifice for roleplay, but even still.

-I like to roleplay. I like to keep my fleets, planets, etc named and pick some certain suboptimal choices if it fits the people I'm playing. This gets to be a bitch late game when you just don't care because you're approaching stomp mode and most events don't affect you or you've seen them. I fall into the Paradox pit of not reading any flavor and just clicking buttons.

-End game feels sloggy and bad. Fleets feel totally temporary and ephemeral. Essentially just a physical manifestation of your minerals per month.

-It feels binary. I've won EUIV and HOI battles/wars I shouldn't have, and I feel like I have strategy and control. Paradox always has doom blobs but a shitload of flavor and nuance gets folded into Fleet Power and it sure seems like 25k always beats 20k. Also, as with any Paradox game at launch or near it, you cannot go tall.

-Altogether, combat is more opaque than HOI4's naval combat, I swear. I haven't read the wiki or guides and I would like not to because part of my fun is figuring it out, but drat. I don't know how to figure out if certain classes are effective or not. Moreso are the effective for the cost? Are the fighters and bombers helping? Etc etc.

I think my next tactic will be to play a smaller galaxy. I've always played larger because I'm hoping that mid game will feel more akin to other Paradox grand strategies (it never quite does). At the same time I'm worried I'll be too powerful, too fast. Other than that, I'm at a loss. I might disable some of my mods that add extra ship classes and stuff. I absolutely love the addition flavor and options but that might just be adding complexity that's unnecessary.

I want to like the game more but gently caress if mid to mid-late doesn't bore the poo poo out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Forewarning, long rear end rambling post.

Anyone have any tips for sticking with a game? I have a few things that hold me back from actually getting to end game. I think I have like a few hundred hours and have never gotten to an end game crisis. I always get bored first. Basically:

I want to like the game more but gently caress if mid to mid-late doesn't bore the poo poo out of me.

I wish I could give you tips but frankly I've found long games of Stellaris pretty unsatisfying compared to Civ or EU. I just don't think the decisions are interesting any more at some point and I end up never loading that save again.

• Locked thread