Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I picked up Glitchmachines Fracture XT.

I'm having far more fun doing minimal/abstract/ambient/noise things than I should.

I mean, it's hardly The Disintegration Loops but it's in the general ballpark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

S-Gear does have great sounds, I wish it had a little larger selection of gear (not that it ought to go all feature bloaty, I mean it'd be cool if it had the first really nice OD pedal model for example) but what you get ranges from good to outstanding

I like their cab sim approach as well, friendly to user IR collections etc. but also very intuitive to use the integrated IR loader with the included library. Appreciated the mic positions they picked, too

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also Waves having another ridiculous sale. CLA 2A for 40 bucks or whatever is a steal.

FlowerOfInfinity
May 10, 2009

Might not be the best thread for this, but Reason 9.5 will support VSTs :aaa:

https://www.propellerheads.se/reason-95

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

wizkid posted:

They're already up to Reason 9.5?! Christ, I was using 4 and then 6 back in my days working for IGT (2010-2013).

Anyway, this is awesome!

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
thats pretty cool actually. does anyone here actually use it? Rebirth was the first real audio software I got into wayyyy back in the day so I have a softspot for reason as well - just couldnt deal with that lovely sequencer.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

wizkid posted:

This is reeeeeeally loving good news for me. I'm on Reason 9.4 now and I've been hoping for VST support for literally several years. There were a couple years where I jumped ship and used Ableton with VSTs, but Reason was my first DAW and always has my heart. Rack Extensions helped because they were like Reason-ified versions of existing VSTs, but this is even better. So much better.

Oh god, I'm gonna feel so much more reason (heh) to create now :circlefap:

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

thats pretty cool actually. does anyone here actually use it? Rebirth was the first real audio software I got into wayyyy back in the day so I have a softspot for reason as well - just couldnt deal with that lovely sequencer.
ReBirth RB-338 was the first virtual instrument I had ever heard of. I got it for my Motorola-based Mac. It was incredibly cool but I could never figure out how to work it into my hardware-based workflow. (Used the Mac to run Cubase strictly as a MIDI sequencer.)

I was interested in Reason due to my respect for ReBirth but always stayed away since it was kind of a walled garden. This seems like a smart move for them.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I did a bit of tutoring with a friend who uses Reason the other day, and it was challenging... It was really very fiddly and finicky.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
I got my start with Reason and a while back I got really nostalgic for it, so I bought a relatively cheap Reason 9 license from someone on eBay. Played around with it for a few months and then ended up selling it and getting my money back. While I really liked all the upgrades they've made since I last used it (version 5), I just couldn't get past the lack of VST support (which is why I originally abandoned it in the first place). Now I'm seriously kicking myself in the rear end for getting rid of it. I'll probably end up buying it again. The thought of being able to use Diva or Omnisphere in Reason is just too tempting.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Public beta of the new Cytomic tube screamer emu got released today and its pretty great.

Aside from just being a really high quality emulation there's also a mods page where you choose what diodes to use, tweak the high/lowpass and opamp, or break open a details page and change the values of any component in the whole model.

So yeah as usual with Cytomic it's fantastic and also quite cheap at just 30 bucks this time around.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
nice

andy is a wizard

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Even though it crashes Live every 6 seconds, I still wanna buy it.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Probably going to get that to go w/ S-Gear 2. Great amp models but I like the boosted sound and it won't do that too good on its own. I asked on KVR why another TS given that there are so many solid TS plugins on the market, and I think the idea is that there will be other pedal models as well. I'd like that.

Got the Fulltone pack for Amplitube, and holy smokes the SSTE emu is fantastic. For sure the best tape delay emu that IKMM has ever done. It just gets it right, from the preamp's effect on the sound to the delay's decay characteristics. A lot of "tape delay" plugins sound more like analog delays if you ask me, but the SSTE sounds right - definitely something to demo in the CS if you're an Amplitube user.

TERC is probably better than any of the chorus options available, just IMO. Though the "X chorus" (MXR Stereo Chorus model) from Slash sounds good. But not a must-have if you aren't a chorus fan. :)

I already had the OCD pedal model from whenever it came out, and I like it pretty well but the stand-out from the Fulltone Collection is definitely that SSTE. It's been a long time since I've heard a real tape echo in person, I think 2009 was the last time I got to plug into one and play with it - I don't want to get silly praising it without the ability to A/B the thing, which ain't happening at $1300, but in terms of plugin quality I can comfortably say it is outstanding.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan
I bought a Focusrite 2i2 a few days ago, and it came with a bunch of plugins including Cytomic's Tube Delay, TSAR-1 Reverb, Saturation Knob, and Drawmer S73 compressor. I'm really loving the sound of the TSAR-1 and have been using the Drawmer as my go to compressor right now as its really easy to use.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89EeLeSWo5E

can someone do the same as with Sausage Fattener and just make an Ableton rack which does exactly the same thing for free?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

well why not posted:

can someone do the same as with Sausage Fattener and just make an Ableton rack which does exactly the same thing for free?

Holy poo poo, I actually thought this was a joke, but... wow, no. I'd pick it up if I made that type of music, but I can't say I'd ever use it. Pretty nice for those that do, though. Hell of a shortcut.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

well why not posted:

Say what you will about their plugins, but Dada Life's promotional videos are simply delightful.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Their entire youtube channel is a good time. You'd think two bald swedish dudes talking about music production while seemingly never blinking would be boring but it's really just a fun channel to check out every now and then.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I personally love Sausage Fattener if for no other reason than I love seeing the Sausage get super angry as you crank the knob.

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not
Looks like the Komplete summer sale is ON effective today. 50% off upgrades. I'm buying it and I'm buying it hard.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

nice. just picked it up so i can see if reaktor 6 lives up to expectations.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
reaktor just got an update yesterday with some new blocks actually.

and yes it is incredible

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Hah, I can't upgrade my Komplete 7 to Ultimate 11 :(

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
that loving sucks. isnt there any upgrade path for you anymore then?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I can go Komplete 7 -> Komplete 11 regular -> Ultimate, which is an extra hundred or so?

Anveo
Mar 23, 2002
I think the $199 upgrade from Ultimate 10 hits the price point where I'm willing to do it. Does anyone know if the 'Product Box' version allows me to access the downloads right away?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I'm pretty sure it doesn't. But last time I ordered a boxed version was in 2015.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm gonna do it. Have to wait a few weeks though because I've just bought a couple of other things and I need to start spreading poo poo out a bit.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm jealous of all of you Komplete owners. I don't make enough with my music (or day job, really) to justify dropping that much on it.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

the big 'secret' of Musician's Lounge is that we're all terminally fiscally irresponsible

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

well why not posted:

the big 'secret' of Musician's Lounge is that we're all terminally fiscally irresponsible

Yeah, but now I have two kids, so I can't actually dive in irresponsibly :smith:

Someday, though... someday.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Couldn't sleep for poo poo last night with too much to think about and nothing to do about all the thinking

Used Amplitube 4 for guitars (Triple Rec model from the MESA/Boogie pack clean channel on rhythm, '65 Super Reverb from Fender Collection 2 cranked up for lead), EZdrummer 2 for drums (and you can super tell, I didn't do much to the drum mix the plugin was giving me, just wanted to get this out of my head). I used the Fulltone Collection they came out with for the TERC effect and the SSTE effect. I can't afford a real TERC (at least, it would be hilariously unjustifiable at the moment) but hey I got the pack for like $40 from their big sale not long ago and it's a real nice facsimile. Also very cool that I don't have to worry about moisture getting on the heads of the tape echo 'cause, you know, it's all a huge digital phony I love.

I used the T-Rex Replica effect from their Custom Shop on the lead guitars, wanted some contrast in the delays too.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jun 2, 2017

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Anveo posted:

I think the $199 upgrade from Ultimate 10 hits the price point where I'm willing to do it. Does anyone know if the 'Product Box' version allows me to access the downloads right away?
When I bought the boxed K11U upgrade at release time, I did not get download access until I received the box. (The box contained the serial number, which I had to enter into Native Access in order to install/authorize the new products.)

They might have changed how this works since then, but I don't know.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

What copy protection does NI use, generally? Do they have some sort of software shell or something?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Its kinda wacky, they use NI Service Centre to authorise stuff yet it has no problem having a combo of legit and :filez: stuff in there (bought Rammfire, had to reinstall everything, no way to redownload Rammfire to use with GR without having to buy it again... Have since swapped to Amplitube but you can make the logic jump there)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What copy protection does NI use, generally? Do they have some sort of software shell or something?

As said previously, it's not as lovely as other brands and doesn't limit authorisations(?) so it's okay in my book.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah you basically just need an internet connection when you first install it and then it's authorized for good.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

NonzeroCircle posted:

Its kinda wacky, they use NI Service Centre to authorise stuff yet it has no problem having a combo of legit and :filez: stuff in there (bought Rammfire, had to reinstall everything, no way to redownload Rammfire to use with GR without having to buy it again... Have since swapped to Amplitube but you can make the logic jump there)

service center is dead mang, all about native access now. (its alot better)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K-EJ
Nov 19, 2006
So, I finally pulled the trigger for Komplete Ultimate, which leaves me with some NI plug-ins I bought on sales years ago that I'll have duplicates of. I'd like to get rid of the duplicates, so please PM me if you're interested in any of these:

Razor
Vintage Compressors (VC-160, VC-2A VC-76)
Premium Tubes Series (Vari Comp, Enhanced EQ, Passive EQ)
SkannerXT

I got these when they were a bit more expensive at 50%, so I figure I'll sell them at something less than 50% of the current non-sale price. I'm hoping this is OK for this thread, otherwise I'll move it to a more appropriate forum.