Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Rude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
That is for real an amazing gif.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
Is there no MACtion hockey what is this travesty

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Spintzel posted:

Is there no MACtion hockey what is this travesty

Ya know, hockey would be a perfect sport for MACtion. Fast paced, physical, what more do you want?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Context:

No, the MAC doesn't have hockey. This was the WCHA championship game, where the winner would get an automatic NCAA tournament bid. 2 years ago BG missed out on the national tournament by 0.0002 Pairwise points, what would have been their first tournament bid in 22 years (Providence, the team that went in over them would wind up winning the national championship).

Fast forward to this past hockey season. BG has a hell of a year, along with Michigan Tech, but neither team would get into the tournament based on pairwise points, so the only way they were getting a bid was the conference championship. That gif is of Tech's winning goal in double overtime.

It was super hard kick in the dick.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Grittybeard posted:

I know we've talked about this before but remind me how hot Kingsbury's seat is?

Has to make a bowl game, that's all.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Texas Tech fans should be glad to see any high flying fun football after they turned their back on the Pirate for Tubbs. Just enjoy your wacky million point games even if ya'll lose 85-77. Trust me there are way worse kinds of mediocrity or unsuccess (See UVA).

Kliff just produced a first round QB how hot can his seat really be? Lubbock has never housed anything resembling defense.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
nm

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Texas Tech fans should be glad to see any high flying fun football after they turned their back on the Pirate for Tubbs. Just enjoy your wacky million point games even if ya'll lose 85-77. Trust me there are way worse kinds of mediocrity or unsuccess (See UVA).

Kliff just produced a first round QB how hot can his seat really be? Lubbock has never housed anything resembling defense.

I think Tech and the fans are happy with just yearly bowls and exciting games. We've had the exciting games, but he's missed a bowl in 2 of his 4 years.

It upsets me because if we fire him, he's going to go be a very, very highly paid OC for some top 10 school and will win some national championships and probably beat us badly when we wind up playing against him. A steady string of 6-6 or 7-5 seasons would be welcome at this point, though.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shawn Oakman's trial is postponed since he isn't paying his lawyers and they want out

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Shawn Oakman really peaked that week he became a twitter meme.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Hockey is the most sec of sports outside of the cold part

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Raku posted:

Hockey is the most sec of sports outside of the cold part

Then explain why no team in the SEC plays it outside of the cold part :colbert:

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
There are club teams.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

vikingstrike posted:

There are club teams.

None of them compete in the NCAA Division I, thus they do not count.

Unless we want to start claiming that the DI-FCS champion is the real CFB DI champion. :can:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pls respect the University of Alabama Huntsville Chargers :colbert:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Time for Snyder to retire, this is ridiculous.
http://deadspin.com/kansas-state-wide-receiver-calls-out-bill-snyder-on-his-1795740116
"According to an interview Sutton granted The Wichita Eagle on Wednesday, Kansas State blocked all 35 of the sophomore’s potential transfer destinations, including D-II and FCS schools. When he appealed, the university stood by Snyder’s decision. In his interview, Sutton said that Snyder did not hint that he would block his release in their initial conversation on the matter. It was only when the school notified him that all 35 requests had been denied that he realized Snyder’s intentions."

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Spacebump posted:

http://deadspin.com/kansas-state-wide-receiver-calls-out-bill-snyder-on-his-1795740116
"According to an interview Sutton granted The Wichita Eagle on Wednesday, Kansas State blocked all 35 of the sophomore’s potential transfer destinations, including D-II and FCS schools. When he appealed, the university stood by Snyder’s decision. In his interview, Sutton said that Snyder did not hint that he would block his release in their initial conversation on the matter. It was only when the school notified him that all 35 requests had been denied that he realized Snyder’s intentions."

what the loving gently caress

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Spacebump posted:

I didn't realize blocking transfers down a division was even an option.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm still not clear on why a coach can stop an adult and a different university from entering into an agreement with one another. The guy's leaving K State, so why does Snyder get any say in his life at all anymore?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

PostNouveau posted:

I'm still not clear on why a coach can stop an adult and a different university from entering into an agreement with one another. The guy's leaving K State, so why does Snyder get any say in his life at all anymore?

Because he's an old white man and by god that's how it should be! :corsair:

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

His "defense" is that all players who come to K-State allegedly know that he won't grant a release for transfer, which is totally bullshit. I thought that the Purple Wizard might have been that one non-rear end in a top hat college coach out there :smith:

Hopefully some public pressure changes that up a little bit.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
If you think a football coach who builds a program from scratch and keeps competitive into his late 70s does so without being a cruel, pitiless despot I don't know what sport you've been watching.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

PostNouveau posted:

I mean, it makes some sense to me to block transfers in-conference or even to teams on the next year's schedules. Picking up a player from a conference rival could give the team gaining the player valuable insight into how the other operates.

But that same deal applies to coaches, even moreso, and it happens all the time.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

kayakyakr posted:

I mean, it makes some sense to me to block transfers in-conference or even to teams on the next year's schedules. Picking up a player from a conference rival could give the team gaining the player valuable insight into how the other operates.

But that same deal applies to coaches, even moreso, and it happens all the time.

No it doesn't make sense. If the kid fulfilled his obligation for the one year scholarship the school gave him he should be free to go wherever he wants. gently caress competitive advantage.

I mean this only exists in a hand full of NCAA sports and isn't seen anywhere else in higher education. Just further proof the NCAA is bullshit, but we already knew that.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Mediocre is being really generous, and the defense is way worse than it ever used to be there. Like I don't think anyone expects them to be a title contender but wanting them to make a loving bowl is not unreasonable. Kliff is maybe the best coordinator in college football and a very handsome man but he's been a crappy head coach and is lucky he's a beloved former player

Sash! posted:

"Big Ten Baseball" isn't a phrase I have ever heard, ever. Do we even have it?

Iowa's baseball team got vaguely good out of nowhere recently (they just won the conference tournament last weekend) and its been very funny to watch people pretend they care deeply about a program they probably didn't realize existed before this year

MourningView fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jun 2, 2017

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Maxwells Demon posted:

Preach.

Also,
-Offense could be more explosive

If they can avoid a bunch of nagging bullshit injuries, it should be. Now, witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational Royce Freeman, etc.

dphi posted:

Well, it couldn't get much worse!

Man, we said that last year, don't jinx it!

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Bill hung that kid out to try on the news with a massive privacy violation by saying roughly "I've never allowed anyone with 2 failed drug tests to stay on the team before him".

That's not only a huge dick move (virtually every failed drug test is never said as such by the school) but he outed those issues to the world on live TV.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I think the chemo is rotting Bill's Brain

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

MourningView posted:

Mediocre is being really generous, and the defense is way worse than it ever used to be there.

That's an interesting statement. Personally, I think it was Tubs's 2nd year, under James Willis, that was the worst ever, but Kliff's 2nd year when Glasgow went on a cocaine fueled rage and quit midseason was also really, really bad.

Anyway, the defense is terrible and I think the fanbase is pretty much unanimous in their desire to see something better. We'd even be thrilled with ~30 PPG given up which is still worse than 100th overall.

If the defense doesn't take a step forward and we don't make a bowl this year, Kliff is probably going to be let go.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/onlygators/status/870695102858919941

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

kayakyakr posted:

I get that, but that's a minor thing and shouldn't outweigh a student's ability to go to the college of their choice.

It is a dumb rule. The NCAA sucks.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Why? Felipe Franks was a highly touted recruit right? Why hand the reigns over to a guy who couldn't hack it at Notre Dame?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

korrandark posted:

Why? Felipe Franks was a highly touted recruit right? Why hand the reigns over to a guy who couldn't hack it at Notre Dame?

Franks has no competition.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

For the FSU and/or other people that have been to Doak Campbell:

How is the parking situation because I can't find anything on it online. My dad and I are going up for Miami/FSU, and I'm trying to plan that out.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Spanier: 4-12 months sentence. 2 months jail, remainder house arrest

Curley/Schultz: 6-23 months sentence. 3 months jail, remainder house arrest

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

vyst posted:

Franks has no competition.

Is the OL pretty bad too? If thats the case, they may just have Zaire handle the beating this year so Franks doesnt get shellshocked

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Dilber posted:

For the FSU and/or other people that have been to Doak Campbell:

How is the parking situation because I can't find anything on it online. My dad and I are going up for Miami/FSU, and I'm trying to plan that out.

May want to just uber from your hotel if possible

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

korrandark posted:

Mailk wasn't bad at ND but he's a mobile QB who was trying to fit into an offense (and line) built for a pocket guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Spanier: 4-12 months sentence. 2 months jail, remainder house arrest

Curley/Schultz: 6-23 months sentence. 3 months jail, remainder house arrest

I mean all three got misdemeanor charges so it was never going to be some crazy long stint in prison but knowing they got convictions and jail time and that no matter how hard they try they'll never escape those facts is a good bit of justice to me.

• Locked thread