Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

syscall girl posted:

Is Sherlock an evolution of that old DOS game?

I kept a 100-In-One CD for years that had Doom ep1 and Sherlock.exe on it

Got more play out of Sherlock

Yes, that's the one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

mrkillboy posted:

Because everything needs to be distilled into a clicker theses days, there's a Crazy Taxi clicker out.

Sold!

:allears:

Edit: Is it a game that needs a connection to operate? Can I buy something that would eliminate ads? If so, I'm also sold.

Morter fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 1, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Morter posted:

:allears:

Edit: Is it a game that needs a connection to operate? Can I buy something that would eliminate ads? If so, I'm also sold.

That seems against the spirit of Crazy Taxi though. :v:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Wow. Just found that old Metal Slug defense. You get a great unit for starting now and unlike 99% of games the premium currency is obtainable for reasonable time. Like 30 min of mindless grinding and I could have ANY unit in the game. Pretty impressed. Seems to work offline too.

Wow!

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
It looks like you can get the original Sorcery! for free for the next week.

Also out this week, Epic Little War Game.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jun 1, 2017

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Chinook posted:

After getting pretty addicted to Sherlock, which was mentioned recently in the thread, I've been looking for more good logic games. I did find Honeycomb Hotel, also made by Everett Kaser, but I'm curious if anyone has any other suggestions.

Something with programming logic would be cool, I think. Except Spacechem is way too much to try to display on a phone, from what I remember.

I've always liked puzzle games and that Sherlock game never got recommended by Google Play, so I'm just hoping that I'll get another great suggestion here, since Google Play has failed me. :)

Human Resource Machine is programming puzzles, and pretty great

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

big mean giraffe posted:

Human Resource Machine is programming puzzles, and pretty great

Sort of outside of the scope of the Android gaming thread, but have you played Shenzen I/O (PC)? Is it any good?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Tunga posted:

Well, swiping it away kills the Activity (the actual foreground visible screen part of the app) immediately but background services are up to the OS.

Well yeah but I mean if people are worried about background activity it's only going to be happening if there are services running, and swiping won't do anything about that. But you can properly kill an app if you force stop it, so there is a magic technique :pcgaming:

khy posted:

I don't know if it's my phone or what but anytime I want to close an app I just hold down the home button for 5 seconds and it goes to a basic alt-tab/task manager type interface where I can scroll through my open apps, and either switch to them or close them. It seems to be as effective at closing as force stopping from the app menu. It's possible it's not entirely closing them but if so there's no indication of it.

Nah we're talking about the technical stuff involved, people who wrote Android have described what happens when you swipe vs force stop. Any properly behaving app should basically end itself when you swipe, unless it has some specific background work it needs to do, so you shouldn't notice any issues anyway. But if you want to be sure, Force Stop is the only way

(You can look at what background processes are running in the developer options menu if you really care)

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I was bored and nothing I had caught my eye so I installed 80 Days again.

It's still the best.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Antti posted:

I was bored and nothing I had caught my eye so I installed 80 Days again.

It's still the best.

I just wish it had some randomness to the routes, because after a little while you learn how everything is connected.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
Hey, if 80 days doesn't click with me do I "get it" or should I give it another try? I'm not sure if it takes a minute to appreciate or if what you see is what you get.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I think after you've visited a handful of cities you have a pretty good idea of the structure of that game, if it hasn't grabbed you by then I'd just move on.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really like the gameplay of Puzzles and Dragons but the Gachapon stuff annoys the hell out of me, and it constantly gives me things that just blow the dungeons out of the water. I'm looking for something a bit more difficult and puzzle-y that's still a Match 3 game or at least similar too it. Does anyone have good recommendations of games of this type.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

GodspeedSphere posted:

Hey, if 80 days doesn't click with me do I "get it" or should I give it another try? I'm not sure if it takes a minute to appreciate or if what you see is what you get.

I'd recommend playing it through once, even if you don't make it there in the time limit. Then realize that you could have gone about it almost entirely different, that every decision you made had other consequences (with varying levels of impact) and see if you want to play it again.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

GodspeedSphere posted:

What didn't you like? Don't try to worry about making it in 80 days. You can. And can optimize a path and trading junkif that's how you like games. Its the obvious thing to do so I assume thats not you. But you can also just go to Africa for example. And find stories thst make the original wager so trivial that who cares.

I recommend b-line for the north pole for the "circle the pole and come back" route. Holy poo poo its really good and an example of other crazy things that can happen.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 2, 2017

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

GodspeedSphere posted:

It's definitely not something you play for 'a minute'

It's sort of a choose-your-own-adventure game, except your turns take place in 'real time', with all these other events going on in the world and other possibilities and routes appearing and disappearing as time passes. It's sort of a sandbox world in a way, you discover stuff going on in certain places and you can just go off and explore that whole storyline if you like. You might discover something about another place that will give you an idea for another route

It's honestly a pretty deep game and there's a lot of imagination and choice to it, if you even remotely like that kind of story game then definitely give it a try. It's the kind of thing that can turn into a long play session if you're not careful. The only bullshit part (for me) is having to manage your inventory in actual real time, buying and selling stuff and rearranging your luggage space, while the departure time for the transport you want to catch is seconds away. It's almost twitch gameplay sometimes and it sucks (I don't know if they ever changed this though)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Bombadilillo posted:

Wow. Just found that old Metal Slug defense. You get a great unit for starting now and unlike 99% of games the premium currency is obtainable for reasonable time. Like 30 min of mindless grinding and I could have ANY unit in the game. Pretty impressed. Seems to work offline too.

Wow!
This is cool because I could not get anywhere with this game when I tried it years back. It was just obnoxiously hard and I couldn't beat like maybe the third or fourth map.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

mrkillboy posted:

It looks like you can get the original Sorcery! for free for the next week.

Also out this week, Epic Little War Game.
SEVEN bucks? holy poo poo, that's a bit overpriced imho

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

coyo7e posted:

This is cool because I could not get anywhere with this game when I tried it years back. It was just obnoxiously hard and I couldn't beat like maybe the third or fourth map.

You can do so much in the game. It has more lines of text the the Lord of the Rings. Literally. Its an insane undertaking of writing. Every path has cool things.

There's a murder mystery on a train. Siberia

So much cool stories. You can play a ladies man and date women in France. Or have some serious gay undertones and overtones in stories.

Its odd because you have to abandon you gamer instinct and not do the main goal of 80 days. What happens if you go to south Africa. Southern Chile seems a bad choice. Do it. Its really good.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 2, 2017

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Bombadilillo posted:

You can do so much in the game. It has more lines of text the the Lord of the Rings. Literally. Its an insane undertaking of writing. Every path has cool things.

There's a murder mystery on a train. Siberia

So much cool stories. You can play a ladies man and date women in France. Or have some serious gay undertones and overtones in stories.

Its odd because you have to abandon you gamer instinct and not do the main goal of 80 days. What happens if you go to south Africa. Southern Chile seems a bad choice. Do it. Its really good.

I think he was talking about Metal Slug Tower Defense.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Chinook posted:

I think he was talking about Metal Slug Tower Defense.

Yeah I was about to be like whoa metal slug is good writing :psyduck:

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

coyo7e posted:

Yeah I was about to be like whoa metal slug is good writing :psyduck:

Yeah I was mystified by that, and kinda hoped that it was true.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

My bad. Just thinking about 80 days and how I'm gonna play it again at work when I get time, tomorrow.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.mingol.com/

Everybody's Golf / Hot Shots Golf for mobile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayBu5vaQIG4

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Turtlicious posted:

I really like the gameplay of Puzzles and Dragons but the Gachapon stuff annoys the hell out of me, and it constantly gives me things that just blow the dungeons out of the water. I'm looking for something a bit more difficult and puzzle-y that's still a Match 3 game or at least similar too it. Does anyone have good recommendations of games of this type.

The last time I reinstalled PAD was a few months ago, but unless it's changed drastically since then, the game still had loads of difficult high-end dungeons to tackle. It's a little odd to even begin to address your post, because "the gacha is too generous" is not a phrase that really computes with my understanding of reality.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Bombadilillo posted:

I recommend b-line for the north pole for the "circle the pole and come back" route. Holy poo poo its really good and an example of other crazy things that can happen.

It's an awesome storyline, but I'm pretty sure you can't complete it if you don't manage to buy/trade for the right clothing. I managed it once but never after that.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Turtlicious posted:

Try Gumballs and Dungeons. Yes it is super Chinese. But it is incredibly deep, especially if you give it a few hours.

Suicide Pacmen
Mar 26, 2002

Rabbit season!

I will whale out for this

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Peachfart posted:

Try Gumballs and Dungeons. Yes it is super Chinese. But it is incredibly deep, especially if you give it a few hours.

Agreed. Getting to floor 150+ any dungeon is tough. But it can be done with just F2P stuff.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
The Metal Slug Assault game looks sweet its got guilds ans stuff too.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Not available in Canada yet.

What's everyone's favourite sports game on mobile? I have Neo Turf Masters and Desert Golfing, as well as Realistic Summer Sports Simulator, looking for more.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Table Tennis Touch is pretty great. Also that fencing game.

edit: Pixel Soccer 16 is really good if you're into the round ball.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jun 2, 2017

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Saw an ad for a game that reminded me of the old Spy Hunter vertical arcade scroller from my youth. I'd love to see a port of that, some time, provided they keep the chiptunes Peter Gunn theme.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

mrkillboy posted:

Table Tennis Touch is pretty great. Also that fencing game.

edit: Pixel Soccer 16 is really good if you're into the round ball.

Thanks for this!

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001

Turtlicious posted:

... I'm looking for something a bit more difficult and puzzle-y that's still a Match 3 game or at least similar too it. Does anyone have good recommendations of games of this type.

Try a Nintendo DS emulator (drastic) and get the original puzzle quest. It's better than most match 3 games I've played on Android.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I love how Drastic leads to open piracy chat :allears:

slouch
Mar 10, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

Depending on how far you are in P&D it's probably worth sticking with for a while. It's pretty easy to have the early game content trivialized but the difficulty goes up a bunch when you get further into the game. Both in terms of the pure numbers (enemy health, damage) and the addition of new board mechanics. If you find the "matching poo poo" stuff fun I can't really think of a better version of that than Puzzles and Dragons, unless the gacha and IAP stuff really ruins it for you.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

Turtlicious posted:

I just reinstalled after about two years and got some new leaders that beat the hell out of anything I had before and are much easier to use, yet I'm still struggling to beat any of the new content. Same basic reason I quit is still there - game jumps into 'way too loving hard' mode after a while, and even the best gacha things will only do so much.

The starting 'normal' dungeons are a joke, tuned for starter monsters from four years ago. You will bulldoze them now. The high end content, though, is hard as hell and kicking my rear end constantly. Maybe you're just some kind of natural PAD genius, but more likely you're just walking through newbie content.

There's a whole thread for PAD in this forum. Might want to take a look.

Zarlog
Dec 7, 2005

Zarlog, Protector of Baal

Bombadilillo posted:

Wow!

Don't know if they fixed it, but you might still be able to instantly recharge your stamina/sortie by simply setting your phone's clock ahead by an hour or two. Just don't go crazy with it, because the game tracks recharging by time/date. If it's noon, and you set your clock to 5pm and then back to noon, you'll be recharged, but the game will wait to resume recharging again until 5pm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Why isnt PAD available in Europe? I liked what i played of it but not enough to manually download a new apk every few weeks. Seems like a huge missed opportunity