Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Same eye as before with Brook, right?
He's going to be real worried about that in future if so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Same eye as before with Brook, right?
He's going to be real worried about that in future if so.

No it's the other one, but even so having broken eye sockets in both of his last 2 fights is surely going to make it difficult for him to go on the attack if it means leaving himself open.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ah right.

Thinking about it, having the other one break too might be a bigger mental setback than having the same one go again. Either way, I'd probably consider retirement if I were him, unless a big money fight against Amir Khan can be made. He doesn't have anything to prove, imo.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'd love to see him knock out khan

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jose posted:

I'd love to see him knock out khan

:same:

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
I wouldn't be so quick to cash Kell out just yet. Yes the eye troubles are very concerning going forward but his losses came against the top middleweight and-imo-the top welterweight. I would still take Brook over Thurman and probably Pacquiao as well. Actually a fight I would love could be Brook versus Miguel Cotto (if he beats Kamegai) but unfortunately that doesn't seem feasible.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
How much did Kessler do after his eye was hosed up? I remember he was around for longer than I thought he would be.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Mikey Garcia will be fighting Adrien Broner next, making it the first time in the last three years that I'm interested in seeing Broner fight again. If Garcia wins we might see him transition quickly into the welterweight division.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Grittybeard posted:

How much did Kessler do after his eye was hosed up? I remember he was around for longer than I thought he would be.

He suffered the eye injury during the Super Six-which was towards the tail end of his career anyways-and still did pretty good in the rematch with Froch in 2013. It will be interesting to see how he is if his comeback is consumated.

Also Mikey Garcia-Broner official for July 29th. Weird that Mikey could end up being the guy who Broner is cashed out to.
https://twitter.com/StephenEspinoza/status/870306093116915714

Edit: vvv 140

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 2, 2017

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

What weight are they at? Would be interesting to see the winner as a potential Crawford opponent even though I don't think that'd ever happen.

I wonder if people are underestimating Broner a bit here. I mean, I'm pretty sure they're not, but you know.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Sounds like it'll be at 140 lb. Having the winner fight Crawford would be great, but I'd bet TC's getting set aside for a Pacquiao fight later this year.

Yeah I have a feeling most people will be sleeping on Broner coming into the fight. It's really amazing how far that guy's star has fallen in the last few years.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Apparently Mike is saying some interesting things about Cus in his new book. Some things about being a master manipulator who shaped him into an arrogant psychopath etc.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
I was really impressed with Errol Spence. Brook was as stiff an opponent as it gets, the fight was in Brook's backyard, and Spence got through a pretty tough first half of the fight and then adjusted and began to dominate.

I'd tap Spence to beat anyone at 147. Pacquiao, Thurman, whoever.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Marching Powder posted:

Apparently Mike is saying some interesting things about Cus in his new book. Some things about being a master manipulator who shaped him into an arrogant psychopath etc.

Teddy Atlas didn't paint a flattering picture of Cus in his autobiography. But it's hard to say how much of that was D'amato being real, real old and casting aside his principles trying to achieve glory one last time. Not that 'Cus was a great guy before the specter of death loomed' really helps if Tyson is raised by post-death-specter D'amato.

Edit - I now specifically recall that D'amato convinced a judge to release Tyson into his care in a dramatic courtroom speech that, Teddy says, had the judge in tears.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jun 2, 2017

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
As a Chicago guy I am not looking forward to Stevenson-fonfara 2. I hope Fonfara wins of course but he's been koed by Joe Smith and struggled mightily with (actually) Bad Chad. Have a sinking feeling Andy's going to get crumpled.

Vvvv: yeah, fighting isn't a looks contest but there's definitely something to be said about a fairly lanky guy not having the best punch resistance

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 2, 2017

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

His style wasn't really built to last I think

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Jack B Nimble posted:

Teddy Atlas didn't paint a flattering picture of Cus in his autobiography. But it's hard to say how much of that was D'amato being real, real old and casting aside his principles trying to achieve glory one last time. Not that 'Cus was a great guy before the specter of death loomed' really helps if Tyson is raised by post-death-specter D'amato.

Edit - I now specifically recall that D'amato convinced a judge to release Tyson into his care in a dramatic courtroom speech that, Teddy says, had the judge in tears.

I think it's fine to say Cus was a master manipulator, to get you mentally where he wanted. Coaching can be like that. Compound that with living with the man to further your career from the get-go.
The negative part would be whether he realized it was turning Mike down the wrong path or if he cared.

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
Let's go Andrezj, don't get beat down like you did against Joe Smith Jr

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

So...does Pascal EVER throw a straight punch? I mean, he's decently fast, but he loops everything and it really seems to cut down on his effectiveness against anybody with a jab.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Well that was an inauspicious first round

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Stopped after the first, weak

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

That was expectedly underwhelming. Fonfara needs to retire.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
In not much of a surprise to anyone Canelo-GGG will be at T-Mobile Arena in Vegas

http://www.latimes.com/sports/boxing/la-sp-sn-boxing-canelo-golovkin-t-mobile-20170605-story.html

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know when tickets are going on sale yet?

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
There might be a presale through mlife.com since T-Mobile is an MGM venue but according to Reddit apparently there is a special presale for T-Mobile employees so maybe try to get friendly (pause) with one.

If you can't get in on the presale then I imagine trying unless you want to pay many multiples of face value or if the event is selling poorly (which Iit doubt will) then pick up from scraps from a broker close to 9/16.

EDIT: I didn't mean to discourage you, just set an expectation. I imagine tickets will always be available somewhere so by all means go if you want since I imagine it's going to be great atmosphere just be prepared to pay through the nose. For what it's worth I might try to get there even if-as is most likely-I go by myself and have to drop a grand on just the tickets alone.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 7, 2017

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Thanks. drat, don't even try though? I figured we'd at least have a shot at getting some through a website or something. Only ever been to small local fights and not something near as big as Canelo/GGG, so I don't know what the process is.

e: I saw this https://www.vividseats.com/sports/canelo-alvarez-tickets/canelo-alvarez-9-16-2364601.html but I have no idea if it's legit.

meat CRime fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 7, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Joshua vs Klitschko 2 is happening, it seems.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Joshua vs Klitschko 2 is happening, it seems.

I guess might as well on both sides? Does Joshua have a bigger payday out there? By heavyweight standards recently it was actually a pretty good fight the first time around too.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jun 7, 2017

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

I guess might as well on both sides? Does Joshua have a bigger payday out there? By heavyweight standards recently it was actually a pretty good fight the first time around too.

I was expecting Joshua v Fury but it's possible Tyson needs more time to get back into shape (and maybe to have a tune-up) and I think Klitschko 2 sells better than any of Wilder/Parker/Haye.

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 8, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's being made on the condition that the winner fights the mandatory challenger (there's a special exemption for Wlad in play according to Sky Sports News) so Fury is in a queue until they get another exemption or the winner drops the belt to fight him.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Fury is like 300 pounds and not even allowed to box until they sort out his legal stuff so there's a year or two until that can happen anyway

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Yeah, Joshua is only 27, he has plenty of time, and another Klitschko fight would help him and the division. Fury needs time to come back and Wilder would help a future fight with Joshua if he was able to beat Joseph Parker first.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
In case anyone cares Brandon Rios's first fight since November 2015 is in a few minutes on Fox Sports 1

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
So here's a question. I watched "Tyson" for the first time and it was pretty good. Except for all the weird cuts of Tyson talking over himself..

The question though. In The Holyfield 2 fight, is Evander headbutting him intentionally? It sure looks like it. I never saw it live at the time and really you only get Mike's POV. He did make a good point though about why is someone who is quite a bit taller than him constantly under his shoulder

If they were intentional how is he getting away with it?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

If they were intentional how is he getting away with it?

Welcome to boxing!

But seriously, boxing is pretty lovely in that regard. Reffing can be really arbitrary, scoring can be really arbitrary, and some fighters know how to keep it dirty but avoid getting penalized.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

we just call it "crafty boxing" these days

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Holyfield used his head like a goshdarned wrecking ball all of the time

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
2nd HBO boxing podcast on Ward vs Kovalev 2 is up, they plan on doing one every week day before the fight.

I'm getting pretty excited, on one hand Kovalev may have overtrained and so "only" needs to be in a better place physically for the rematch, otoh Ward got better as he figured Kovlev out and that may only progress further in the rematch.

The HBO podcast does suggest that a factor of both matches is going to be the disparity of the trainers - Andrew having a father-son relationship with Virgil Hunter and Kovlev's trainer...not being viewed as positively in both the actual match and aftewards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Current EBU featherweight, danish boxer Dennis Ceylan is fighting Kid Galahad on the undercard for Eubank-Abraham.

Ceylan has said that he wants to fight Lee Selby for the world title and I guess this is a step in that direction, if he can beat Galahad.