Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Beige posted:

If the former is true (I'm not convinced) then it must have been one hell of a photo shoot to convince a child to lay down or sleep in the arms of their father's corpse.

Have you considered, perhaps, that they are all alive and we are the dead ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Beige posted:

If the former is true (I'm not convinced) then it must have been one hell of a photo shoot to convince a child to lay down or sleep in the arms of their father's corpse.

Morphine is a hell of a drug.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Have you considered, perhaps, that they are all alive and we are the dead ones?

Dunno about you, but I'm only a philosophical zombie stuck in a Chinese room.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Beige posted:

the Victorians were kind of hosed up

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Everybody in that photo is alive. The old man looks so stern and weird because he is straining to maintain a steady pose, with a small child he also has to keep steady. His sunken eyes may be simply due to old age and exaggerated by the photographic set up. He is also holding the child's hands, which wouldn't have been arranged with a post mortem photograph. The child looks uncomfortable because the process of photography was uncomfortable and he may be scared by the camera, and the fact his face portrays a clearly identifiable emotion at all is enough to tell he is alive. The picture is probably not a daguerreotype, as it appears to be tarnished, but without the characteristic vignette of an air-exposed daguerreotype, and its exposure very likely wasn't long enough to cause blurring in a seated, properly supported person trying to stay still. And even the first selfie ever, taken in 1839, just two years after the introduction of the crudest long-exposure Daguerre method, already has all the features of the subject sharp enough that you can clearly make out his irises.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 13:08 on Jun 2, 2017

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Pictured: Two not-dead girls.

Dead bodies aren't dummies, nor can they support their own weight. The discoloration effect on the girl's hands occurs because the flash didn't light the subject evenly.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Dead bodies aren't dummies, nor can they support their own weight.

Someone's never heard of a little thing called a Dead Lift TM.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

In today's economy even dead people have to hold down jobs.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

In today's economy even dead people have to hold down jobs.

"Using our patented system, you can turn your dead people problems into your dead people opportunities!"

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Dead bodies aren't dummies, nor can they support their own weight. The discoloration effect on the girl's hands occurs because the flash didn't light the subject evenly.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Honestly I think these girls are alive too. The creepy eyes look drawn on, perhaps as an early 'shop to correct the blur effect.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Apparently the stands were used to keep live people in position. So actually that makes a lot of sense!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

This picture, the first know portrait of a woman, was taken in 1839, with a 65s exposition and without external bracing. All facial features are very neatly defined even after almost two hundred years and some poor handling that has resulted in visible tarnish. The subject was heavily powdered (with flour, in this case), to improve reflection of light on the face, which also explains weird discolorations on other photographs, like the two girls - the hands are likely darker than their faces because they are not covered in reflective powder.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pick posted:

Apparently the stands were used to keep live people in position. So actually that makes a lot of sense!

Fast acting film completely killed the Keep People In Position Stand industry.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

This picture, the first know portrait of a woman, was taken in 1839, with a 65s exposition and without external bracing. All facial features are very neatly defined even after almost two hundred years and some poor handling that has resulted in visible tarnish. The subject was heavily powdered (with flour, in this case), to improve reflection of light on the face, which also explains weird discolorations on other photographs, like the two girls - the hands are likely darker than their faces because they are not covered in reflective powder.

This reminds me of the story of why Frankenstein's monster is always depicted as being green, not yellow as Shelley described him; basically due to the qualities of the black and white film Karloff was painted green on set to give him a grey pallor on screen, and never was intended to be portrayed as being green until the studio created color movie posters based off of how he looked on set.

Ornamental Dingbat has a new favorite as of 02:25 on Jun 3, 2017

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
art

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVPCSjw-Q2M

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Oh cool,these were pictures I wanted to post in Pick's "why do you think women are scary" thread but could not find even with google
Even though the artist of each respective picture has done more like them (more floating doll heads, more scratchy pictures of long necked people) and used to be posted in creepypasta threads all the time.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gYBXRwsDjY

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-S862p69B0

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Oh cool,these were pictures I wanted to post in Pick's "why do you think women are scary" thread but could not find even with google
Even though the artist of each respective picture has done more like them (more floating doll heads, more scratchy pictures of long necked people) and used to be posted in creepypasta threads all the time.

Yuko Tatsushima

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh3sxw9N5gw

from
https://vimeo.com/193330065

CATTASTIC has a new favorite as of 18:55 on Jun 4, 2017

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough

If anyone doubts that a lot of the oddly passive expressions and either languishing or very formal gestures in many of these photos is down to a) the tastes of the time, and b) people being very determined not to screw up the photo, and adopting the most neutral possible expression (also, covering up poor teeth), have a look here:

http://silversunbeam.co.uk/tintype-gallery/100-faces/

All tintypes of modern-day sitters, taken recently on a gigantic restored camera using the wet plate collodion process that was doing the fairground circuit by the mid-1850's.

Compare the modern trends for duckface, or that slack-jawed 'model' expression that makes everyone look half-witted. Neither is a flattering look. Both are very popular and will doubtless mystify our descendants.

Posing stands had their heyday in the daguerreotype era, when indoor portraits could take 3 or 4 minutes to expose. You could take a shot faster in bright sunlight, in well under a minute, but then you got harsh shadows and squinting, just as you do today. The best example to debunk the 'blurred = alive, sharp-focus = dead' notion is this indoor portrait of John Brown, taken 1847 (incidentally, by the first black professional photographer I've heard of, Augustus Washington). He's using a hidden posing stand and a banner to support himself. Compare his steely expression with the blur caused by unavoidable tremor in his unsupported saluting hand:

My favourite common bogus 'post-mortem' shot of a rather famous man, trying his level best to look pensive:

Actual creepy image:

Cecil Madigan, antarctic explorer, very much alive in this photo and not (as far as I know) The Thing.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Thats a lot of frozen snot.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
What....what part of him are we looking at, there? I'm not gonna examine that too closely 'cause I just ate, but from cursory inspection it could be either a hand frozen into a fist (minus some fingers) or his face mostly gone due to frostbite.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, before I read he was alive I thought I vaguely recognized parts of skull, but now I'm completely lost.

E: I see it now, the tip of his nose is visible in the hole in the middle, once you use that to get some context, it becomes clear.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 22:28 on Jun 7, 2017

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I think that's windblown snow packed into someone's hood? Like, I'm seeing goggles in there.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

http://io9.gizmodo.com/strange-historic-photos-from-antarctica-and-other-kingd-1492646884

It's apparently an ice mask - he just took the parka off in the second one.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

citybeatnik posted:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/strange-historic-photos-from-antarctica-and-other-kingd-1492646884

It's apparently an ice mask - he just took the parka off in the second one.

This is one of the ballsier things I've ever seen.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

This is one of the ballsier things I've ever seen.

Especially if the bear decides there's not enough smokes left in the packet.

From the linked article, here's another creepy image

Creed Reunion Tour has a new favorite as of 23:59 on Jun 7, 2017

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Carnival of Shrews posted:

Cecil Madigan, antarctic explorer, very much alive in this photo and not (as far as I know) The Thing.

This is him from another angle, which makes more sense, if you're worried

efb

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Since we're here at the intersection of polar climes, creepy, and badass...

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

joat mon posted:

Since we're here at the intersection of polar climes, creepy, and badass...

Are....are they performing an appendectomy on themselves?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yep. If I recall correctly, he had to do it because they were in a remote region and his nurse felt under-qualified and refused.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Solice Kirsk posted:

Who watches the watchmen? Who takes out the only doctor's appendix?
http://rarehistoricalphotos.com/leonid-rogozov-appendix-1961/

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Who watches the watchmen? Who takes out the only doctor's appendix?
http://rarehistoricalphotos.com/leonid-rogozov-appendix-1961/

I dunno.....

Coast guard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Inzombiac posted:

Yep. If I recall correctly, he had to do it because they were in a remote region and his nurse felt under-qualified and refused.

No nurse, the meteorologist and mechanic assisted, with the station director standing by in case either passed out.

Leonid Rogozov posted:

My poor assistants! At the last minute I looked over at them. They stood there in their surgical whites, whiter than white themselves