Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The big irony of Brexit is that the EU policies decried by brexiters were policies for which the UK had lobbied hard and long. So for this I see Brexit as a generous, selfless sacrifice from the Britons, who finally realized that their governments always suck and decided to save us from them. You know, like in those mountain climbing movies where someone cuts of their rope and plummets to their doom instead of dragging down the exhausted people that are barely hanging on to the cliff above them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Deltasquid posted:

The idea that the EU would somehow allow a deal of free movement for some EU members with the UK, and not with others, is completely insane. If that's what the British public or government wants, they can rest assured that it'll be torpedoed by - wait for it - Poland, Romania or Bulgaria.

I'm fairly certain it would also be straight up illegal under EU law for such a deal to be made anyway. It's literal discrimination on the grounds of nationality. It flies against the principle of loyal cooperation. It's utter madness.

But similar deals used to be made. When Croatia entered the EU some countries (Netherlands comes to mind) had a grace period before they started giving Croatians all the EU citizens' rights.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Doctor Malaver posted:

But similar deals used to be made. When Croatia entered the EU some countries (Netherlands comes to mind) had a grace period before they started giving Croatians all the EU citizens' rights.

Grace periods yes, but those end pretty quickly and are rooted in making the transition into the "common economy" easier for both sides (or at least gives the richer states something to placate the fears of their voters over cheap labour flooding the market). The one for Bulgaria and Romania was 5 years, and ended 2012. Poland is now a EU member for 13 years. Those are the big three countries the UK as a problem with.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

El Perkele posted:

Was. Note the past tense.

I will go ahead and say that Brexit campaigners were about as explicit as they could about "free movement for all but those EU members".
Given that is not part of any party's manifesto, I don't think there will be any singling out of any existing member state's citizens when it comes to freedom of movement.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

jBrereton posted:

Given that is not part of any party's manifesto, I don't think there will be any singling out of any existing member state's citizens when it comes to freedom of movement.

Why do you think Britain is so strongly opposed to freedom of movement in the Brexit/post-Brexit negotiations? It has been one of the major, if not the major, points of contention so far.

I'm sure everyone with half a brain cell has already learned how to use a dog whistle and would never call out specific groups by name.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
Its pretty funny how ridiculously hung up on EU immigration the Tories/UKIP are given its almost entirely white, Christian/agnostic Eastern Europeans who are net tax contributors and socially assimilate rapidly.

They're pretty much the ideal migrant group, in comparison to the troubles France Germany Sweden etc are facing.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Britain is absolutely fine with free movement of labour in general, they just want to exclude certain countries from it.

Leave voters/UKIP racists (not 'Britain', please, there are quite a lot of us who are not that) don't want foreigners, period. They may be specifically het up about Polish plumbers and whatnot at the moment but they're not exactly raring to let French and German people in either.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Blut posted:

Its pretty funny how ridiculously hung up on EU immigration the Tories/UKIP are given its almost entirely white, Christian/agnostic Eastern Europeans who are net tax contributors and socially assimilate rapidly.

They're pretty much the ideal migrant group, in comparison to the troubles France Germany Sweden etc are facing.

Politicians need a scapegoat for the fact that low qualified jobs pay less than they did decades ago, because of globalization and automation, which are elemental to today's standard of living. In southern Europe they blame the Euro/Germany, in the USA they blame Mexicans/China and in the UK it's the EU/Eastern Europe that gets blamed.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Why do you think Britain is so strongly opposed to freedom of movement in the Brexit/post-Brexit negotiations? It has been one of the major, if not the major, points of contention so far.

I'm sure everyone with half a brain cell has already learned how to use a dog whistle and would never call out specific groups by name.

Tories say they are opposed to freedom of movement because the party is run by nutters and Labour say that they're opposed to freedom of movement because their base is split on the issue and thus they have to thread the needle between both sides. That's also why Labour are talking a lot about prioritizing tariff-free trade with the EU post-brexit.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

jBrereton posted:

... did you actually follow the Brexit debate back in spring 2016?

Edit: Let me be clear: Phrases such as "take back control" and "eu immigration control" etc. while simultaneously newspapers and internet were talking about Bulgarians and Poles was super obvious. Not saying it out loud or not putting it in a party manifesto does not render the context of the discussion void.

El Perkele fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 1, 2017

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Blut posted:

You are SO close

all xenophobia is a scam, not just against white people :ssh:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

El Perkele posted:

... did you actually follow the Brexit debate back in spring 2016?

Edit: Let me be clear: Phrases such as "take back control" and "eu immigration control" etc. while simultaneously newspapers and internet were talking about Bulgarians and Poles was super obvious. Not saying it out loud or not putting it in a party manifesto does not render the context of the discussion void.

He's an actual Briton who's involved with politics quite a bit, so I'd say yes.

I mean yeah Britain definitely isn't happy about some countries, but Poland in particular actually doesn't score very low in favourability of immigrants globally speaking (Romania and Bulgaria do though). I can't find the survey now but it scored roughly around -4% favourable/unfavourable. Turkey was like -40 or something, Germany and France 20-35 and AUS/SA/Canada/US/NZ (and Japan I think too, weirdly enough) were in the forties and up.

e: when I say favourability I mean it was a survey of UK citizens about which immigrants they like and dislike. it was called something like "Designing a new immigration system for Britain" and it was from sometime around 2014-15 or so

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 1, 2017

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

Private Speech posted:

He's an actual Briton who's involved with politics quite a bit, so I'd say yes.

I mean yeah Britain definitely isn't happy about some countries, but Poland in particular actually doesn't score very low in favourability of immigrants globally speaking (Romania and Bulgaria do though). I can't find the survey now but it scored roughly around -4% favourable/unfavourable. Turkey was like -40 or something, Germany and France 20-35 and AUS/SA/Canada/US/NZ (and Japan I think too, weirdly enough) were in the forties and up.

e: when I say favourability I mean it was a survey of UK citizens about which immigrants they like and dislike. it was called something like "Designing a new immigration system for Britain" and it was from sometime around 2014-15 or so

All right, thank you.

El Perkele fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 1, 2017

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

You are SO close

all xenophobia is a scam, not just against white people :ssh:

Some immigrants are of more benefit to the host country than other immigrants. Its not xenophobic to look at the empirical economic figures and note this.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blut posted:

Some immigrants are of more benefit to the host country than other immigrants. Its not xenophobic to look at the empirical economic figures and note this.

Making it the centre of your political program however, is.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

What I feel about this is that immigration and freedom of movement was used as a cover for people's despondency about collapsing local government services, and that even the Remain side was badly served on that front, with the government's official position being that we should have some kind of "emergency brake" which plenty of Remainers and people on the left and potentially even some on the right who wanted to leave absolutely did not want.

The current government's disastrous brexit minister (who I think was always meant to lose his job) couldn't say, when pressed literally yesterday, what the specific outcomes were wrt skilled vs. unskilled migration into the country after brexit outside of some "we'll bring it down to the tens of thousands but that will take time and effort" verbiage (aka they know in advance that it won't happen and probably don't want it to, just like when Theresa May was home sec and promised the same and never did it).

I honestly don't know how much of a stumbling block freedom of movement is going to be. If it works out to be something pretty close to regulations the EU already put in place over a decade ago about asking people to find work within 3 months and the whole irish border thing gets worked out (I predict enhanced border checks in Northern Irish ports and airports but the maintenance of CTA), I think both sides will leave somewhat unhappy but not unhappy to the point a deal can't happen. I could be wrong, though.

I think passporting of financial sector services is going to be the real stumbling block, since Amsterdam, Paris and Frankfurt are going to fight to the death over it unless something is worked out quickly, as well as the divorce bill which is being done in a very Trumpy "it just got 10 feet higher" way at the moment.

Nigel Farage complaining incoherently about Romanians blocking the M6 or whatever was classic catherine-wheeling directionless racism which is only shared some people here and I would say given the French voting 30% in favour of a woman whose entire policy was "gently caress off we're full, make France great again" this is not a uniquely British phenomenon.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jun 2, 2017

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

lollontee posted:

Making it the centre of your political program however, is.

No party in the UK has done this, though. The Tories/UKIP have focused on "all immigrants = bad" which is rather ridiculous, instead of the more reasonable (and factual) "some immigrants good, some immigrants bad".

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

quote:

The Latest: France says no trace of Russian hacking Macron
Today

ST.PETERSBURG, Russia (AP) — The Latest on President Vladimir Putin's comments Thursday (all times local):

5:30 p.m.

The head of the French government's cyber security agency, which investigated leaks from President Emmanuel Macron's election campaign, says they found no trace of a notorious Russian hacking group behind the attack.

In an interview in his office Thursday with The Associated Press, Guillaume Poupard said the Macron campaign hack "was so generic and simple that it could have been practically anyone."

He said they found no trace that the Russian hacking group known as APT28, blamed for other attacks including on the U.S. presidential campaign, was responsible.

Poupard is director general of the government cyber-defense agency known in France by its acronym, ANSSI. Its experts were immediately dispatched when documents stolen from the Macron campaign leaked online on May 5 in the closing hours of the presidential race.

Poupard says the attack's simplicity "means that we can imagine that it was a person who did this alone. They could be in any country."

lmao

"Really, anyone could have hacked us. Some script kid on 4chan could have done it. Some guy with a gameboy plugged the wrong way into a wall socket. Hell maybe it was carrier pidgeons with a grudge, I don't know. My laptop is literally an exhibition of every type of computer virus known to man, and some that we're still discovering."

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's more like a cop telling you anyone could have stolen your car since you left the key in and the door unlocked in a busy street while you went shopping.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

jBrereton posted:

I honestly don't know how much of a stumbling block freedom of movement is going to be. If it works out to be something pretty close to regulations the EU already put in place over a decade ago about asking people to find work within 3 months and the whole irish border thing gets worked out (I predict enhanced border checks in Northern Irish ports and airports but the maintenance of CETA), I think both sides will leave somewhat unhappy but not unhappy to the point a deal can't happen. I could be wrong, though.

Depending on how the freedom of movement is described, it can be anything from ~easy (maintaining the current state of things) to absolute nonstarter (preferential access to single market without free movement of people) and anything inbetween. Remains to be seen!

CETA is the trade agreement between Canada and EU. Did you mean continued British access to EEA through EFTA? edit: As mentioned, you probably meant Common Travel Area, which has been preliminary accepted by EU.

El Perkele fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jun 2, 2017

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Given the context i think he meant the CTA - Common Travel Area.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

Pissflaps posted:

Given the context i think he meant the CTA - Common Travel Area.

Thank you.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I did mean that, sorry, I did the post pretty late in the day.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

jBrereton posted:

I did mean that, sorry, I did the post pretty late in the day.

No problem, it made me actually read about CTA and EU statements regarding it!

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blut posted:

No party in the UK has done this, though. The Tories/UKIP have focused on "all immigrants = bad" which is rather ridiculous, instead of the more reasonable (and factual) "some immigrants good, some immigrants bad".

That is indeed what I was talking about. You can read those immigration statistics and deduce that refugees from war-torn countries like Syria indeed have a higher chance to commit violent crime than polish potato washers (and a hearty congratulations for noticing such a fact), but it's the conclusions you draw from that fact that matter.

So what are your conclusions then?

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

jBrereton posted:

I think passporting of financial sector services is going to be the real stumbling block, since Amsterdam, Paris and Frankfurt are going to fight to the death over it unless something is worked out quickly

God I loving hope so. If Amsterdam gets the financial sector the city is done for

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

lollontee posted:

That is indeed what I was talking about. You can read those immigration statistics and deduce that refugees from war-torn countries like Syria indeed have a higher chance to commit violent crime than polish potato washers (and a hearty congratulations for noticing such a fact), but it's the conclusions you draw from that fact that matter.

The conclusions depend entirely on whether your goal is to keep Syrian refugees fleeing barrel bombs and gas safe until Syria gets fixed (probs like a decade or two at least) or to make your own country greater by brain-draining (or generally well-adjusted citizen-draining) other countries.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

The Puppet Master posted:

God I loving hope so. If Amsterdam gets the financial sector the city is done for

Destroy it before it has a chance to infest any other cities.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

His Divine Shadow posted:

Destroy it before it has a chance to infest any other cities.

And people say we don't need nuclear weapons :rolleyes:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

lollontee posted:

It's really two different types of hate:

Polish potato washers: They're taking our jerbs! And they're bringing their weird language and culture!

Refugees from war-torn countries: They're bringing their weirder language and culture! And they're not doing any jerbs!

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

lollontee posted:

quick drive-by comment:

IRC Syrians, Afghans and Iraqis are below average Germans in the crime statistics.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

blowfish posted:

And people say we don't need nuclear weapons :rolleyes:

You can destroy the financial sector via liberal application of economic regulations and mass production of guillotines.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

lollontee posted:

My conclusions are that some immigrants groups have been shown to be a net positive economic contributor to their host countries, while others have shown to be the opposite. And it makes no sense to treat them equally when discussing immigration policy given that. As I stated in my original post.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Blut posted:

My conclusions are that some immigrants groups have been shown to be a net positive economic contributor to their host countries, while others have shown to be the opposite. And it makes no sense to treat them equally when discussing immigration policy given that. As I stated in my original post.

european immigration policy is that nobody gets in, unless they have STEM degrees and a job lined up or through marriage. it doesn't give a poo poo about nationality

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

european immigration policy is that nobody gets in, unless they have STEM degrees and a job lined up or through marriage. it doesn't give a poo poo about nationality

Where was nationality ever mentioned? You realize the discussion is on the Tory policies relating to EU migrants to the UK... right? Or are you not only too busy to use punctuation, but also to read actual posts before replying to them?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

The Puppet Master posted:

Don't worry, Amsterdam is pretty much out of the running because of our laws restricting bonuses.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Orange Devil posted:

Don't worry, Amsterdam is pretty much out of the running because of our laws restricting bonuses.
I'm sure the sector could get that legislation cast down as anti-competitive if it really came down to it.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Blut posted:

EU citizens have the immediate right to reside, work and study in any EU country. They're hardly just regular "immigrants" and have massive advantages over actual immigrants much less refugees (who again, are not regular immigrants either) kind of the whole point of EU. It makes no sense not to take any of that into account.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

His Divine Shadow posted:

mass production of guillotines.

That's gonna create jobs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

That's gonna create jobs!

I could've sworn it was either here or in the pictures thread that someone posted a diagram for a 10-person guillotine. Industrialization will never stop eliminating jobs, kitty friend :(