Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

rolled a perk that was "start with big map automatically" with 0% for negatives lol. seems kind of a ridiculous perk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Jason in the lake is a v. bad idea in this game.

Well yea, it was a stupid idea in Part VI when Tommy did it but it somehow worked out. There could be a chain hidden somewhere in the map, and if you have that on the boat when Jason jumps you, you can snag him with it, but only if you're Tommy. A female counselor has to be the one driving the boat, and she hits the engine once you have Jason in the chain, which grinds him up and kills him.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Based on the strengths/weaknesses of the Jasons and my play style, I should not be better with Jason XIII than Savini, yet somehow I am.

I tend to favor killing the power and raising fear early game, but some (very good) Jasons I see don't seem to bother.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

DLC Inc posted:

rolled a perk that was "start with big map automatically" with 0% for negatives lol. seems kind of a ridiculous perk

getting lucky on those rolls will eliminate the negatives on most perks. starting with a map is kind of nice but not at all one of the more powerful perks since maps tend to be everywhere.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I hope the Savini skin stays rare if only because it's so wicked and unique and I don't want that to become commonplace and blase.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Coolguye posted:

getting lucky on those rolls will eliminate the negatives on most perks. starting with a map is kind of nice but not at all one of the more powerful perks since maps tend to be everywhere.

I want badly to get that perk just because of the quality of life upgrade it is. Not having to worry about searching for a map early on would free me up right away to head straight towards the car or the phone. Sure, 2 out of 3 games I find a map within the first 5 minutes, but when I don't it's really aggravating to have to navigate without one.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
i can definitely feel that. on one hand, maps are everywhere. on the other hand, until you have one you're not really playing strategically since you don't have enough information. i feel the same sort of way about the hypochondriac perk. yeah, first aid sprays are everywhere and when i get the medic perk i will drop hypochondriac like a hot rock, but until then it is nice to not have to find a bathroom or store room to get my medicine.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Jason in the lake is a v. bad idea in this game.

which is funny because isn't he afraid of water?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

DLC Inc posted:

The common rarity version of that perk has a -1%. I have both poor and common.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

Basebf555 posted:

Please, as if Tommy could ever actually pull it off. He's had 3 different run-ins with Jason and his best strategy is still stabbing him with sharp objects and shooting him with a shotgun. Yea, that will totally work this time.

There should be some way in the game to lure Jason into the Lake and then trap him there, because that was by far the best plan Tommy ever came up with(and even that one was pretty dumb and he got very lucky).

uhhh, didn't he literally hack Jason to pieces in Part IV, which killed him?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Carebearz posted:

uhhh, didn't he literally hack Jason to pieces in Part IV, which killed him?

It didn't take

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Carebearz posted:

Oh God no.

Not even in the movie where he had to have a weakness to water was he afraid of water.

The only way you can justify it is that Child Jason, deep inside of normal Jason, is afraid of water due to the whole drowning thing. Otherwise Jason is quite fond of water. He does a lot of murder in water.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

Or are we talking about people that play as Tommy and get wrecked in like 30 seconds after spawning?

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

Burkion posted:

Oh God no.

Not even in the movie where he had to have a weakness to water was he afraid of water.

The only way you can justify it is that Child Jason, deep inside of normal Jason, is afraid of water due to the whole drowning thing. Otherwise Jason is quite fond of water. He does a lot of murder in water.

I mean, is Freddy vs Jason a canon Jason thing because it quite plainly shows that Jason is afraid of water.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Chaining him up in the lake didn't really stop him, they had to chop him to pieces with the boat motor to finish the job. He's really not afraid of the water, but I guess the lake is like his natural habitat so he can lay dormant there for a while if "encouraged" to do so.

Re: Freddy Vs. Jason, the weakness to water in that movie is just a convenient way to give Freddy a fighting chance in a fight where he would obviously be demolished under any other circumstances.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Carebearz posted:

I mean, is Freddy vs Jason a canon Jason thing because it quite plainly shows that Jason is afraid of water.

It shows Jason in the dream world is afraid of water.

As in, subconscious Jason, who easily goes down into his child-mindset. You'll notice that when he's awake, he's never afraid of water. He's not breaking down crying when he comes out of the lake at the end, nor does he seem to care about the giant body of water while fighting Freddy. This is as opposed to Freddy, who does look freaked out by the fire coming for them.

Otherwise Freddy would have just gone into the lake and staid there taunting Jason.

As for what's canon and what's not, everything is canon and nothing isn't. All those lovely novels about the Jason effect and reality tv shows with prisoners fighting Jason, all canon. All the different comic books that in no way work with one another, all canon. The TV show is also canon.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Burkion posted:

As in, subconscious Jason, who easily goes down into his child-mindset. You'll notice that when he's awake, he's never afraid of water. He's not breaking down crying when he comes out of the lake at the end, nor does he seem to care about the giant body of water while fighting Freddy. This is as opposed to Freddy, who does look freaked out by the fire coming for them.

Yea, really the only consistent weakness Jason has had is that if you can get him to regress back into his childhood then he will be paralyzed. The sweater does it, Tommy imitating young Jason does it, and Freddy does it to him in the dream world.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Everything up to the fourth movie is canon. Corey Feldman permanently killed Jason.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Carebearz posted:

It also shows him slowly emerging from water like a loving water based wraith at the end. It's his element the way Freddy is tied to fire (and hates fire).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Scalding Coffee posted:

Everything up to the fourth movie is canon. Corey Feldman permanently killed Jason.

One of the funny things about watching Crystal Lake memories is realizing that basically every film crew past Part 2 really thought they were gonna kill Jason this time, for good. They're all like "We were going with the idea that this was really gonna be it, so we wanted to definitively kill Jason and send a message to the audience that this was really it, he's really dead this time!", and that goes on for about 4 consecutive sequels.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
The Savini skin should never be made available again but what they could do is make it so that jason players randomly get to play as Savini Jason occasionally.

I'm personally rocking bag head jason atm as he's scary as gently caress, I want to play wrestling themes at people in the game alas it requires me to hold my phone to my PS4 mic

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gaz2k21 posted:

The Savini skin should never be made available again but what they could do is make it so that jason players randomly get to play as Savini Jason occasionally.

Can we shut the gently caress up about this already. Thanks. :shobon:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The only thing I want from the Savini skin is to see the drat thing in game already. I want to be hunted down and killed by Savini Jason.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
How are you guys getting music to play through voice?

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

Basebf555 posted:

Yea, really the only consistent weakness Jason has had is that if you can get him to regress back into his childhood then he will be paralyzed. The sweater does it, Tommy imitating young Jason does it, and Freddy does it to him in the dream world.

so technically Jason is afraid of water, conscious or subconscious fear is still a fear. Thanks for proving my point I guess? not trying to come across as :smug: here

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Carebearz posted:

so technically Jason is afraid of water, conscious or subconscious fear is still a fear. Thanks for proving my point I guess? not trying to come across as :smug: here

He's only afraid of the water when he regresses back to the stage of life where he drowned as a child. The other 99.999% of the time water doesn't bother him one bit.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I think the best thing about Freddy vs Jason is after Freddy does his little "boogey boogey boogey im scaring you in a dream" thing to Jason the next half an hour is just Jason dunking the poo poo out of him by throwing him into and through stuff while Freddy tries to be clever the entire time to only meet with getting dragged through windows panes and thrown through roofs

Also if your vary the campers you have a much higher rate of surviving. I mostly see the rocker girl, Chad, and Adam so I started to play as Venessa. I pick up a walkie talkie and just sprint from cabin to cabin, grabbing objectives, and dropping them where they need to be put and announce it to the others. Most the time Jason is chasing my loud rear end but thanks to a epic less stumble perk and fast recharging stamina perk I end up wasting so much time two or three of the main objectives get fixed and by the time Jason realizes how much time he's wasting chasing the fast person taunting him over mic it's too late to stop everyone else. The EXP I get doing this is a pretty decent amount too it's kind of neat the game is balanced around playing to Slasher movie tropes. Yeah I die most the time but as the girl who runs fast, is loud, and gets scared easy that's kind of my role

Also l, at least as Venessa, found the best way to juke a chasing shifting Jason is when he shifts count two or three seconds then run the way he was coming. Jason is automatically propelled forward the way his mouse is looking so players need to do a 360 in order to keep shift chasing and this will completely gently caress them up

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 2, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's like trying to say that you, yourself, right now are afraid of the Chuck E Cheeze mascot, because he scared you when you were three years old.

At one point you were, but I don't think you would admit to being scared of him anymore. Same deal with Jason.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Jason is Batman.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

Burkion posted:

It's like trying to say that you, yourself, right now are afraid of the Chuck E Cheeze mascot, because he scared you when you were three years old.

At one point you were, but I don't think you would admit to being scared of him anymore. Same deal with Jason.

I got scared by rollercoasters as a small child and I'm still afraid of them to this deal, but that's more of an irrational fear.

I'd 100% back a Nightmare on Elm Street if exclusive backer content was Scary Terry

Carebearz fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 2, 2017

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

As Jason, I like morphing around to some campsites to cut power and if nobody is around, still bash a window or two. Then I'll morph to one of the cars and so on. I've morphed right into groups quite a few times by just being patient and hitting the important areas. It's so much fun to appear and then hear the people scream in surprise since I just morphed right on top of them.

It's a lot more fun to terrorize people than think you HAVE to kill them. Like I'll chase a Vanessa for a bit, then I'll look around and see some noise or use sense to see another counselor, and shift toward them.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

Codependent Poster posted:

As Jason, I like morphing around to some campsites to cut power and if nobody is around, still bash a window or two. Then I'll morph to one of the cars and so on. I've morphed right into groups quite a few times by just being patient and hitting the important areas. It's so much fun to appear and then hear the people scream in surprise since I just morphed right on top of them.

It's a lot more fun to terrorize people than think you HAVE to kill them. Like I'll chase a Vanessa for a bit, then I'll look around and see some noise or use sense to see another counselor, and shift toward them.

However you decide to play, game good, Steam forums are full of salty babies(like usual)

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Man I really hate jason traps. I say this as someone who abuses them as jason. As soon as the round starts I just trap the cars/fuse box for the phone. Its pretty much unfair because pocket knives are not super common. I kind of feel like its not balanced. It definitely feels like the smartest way to use traps.

Its not that counselors will always fall for the traps, but more that they will likely not have a pocketknife to disarm them.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Knifegrab posted:

Man I really hate jason traps. I say this as someone who abuses them as jason. As soon as the round starts I just trap the cars/fuse box for the phone. Its pretty much unfair because pocket knives are not super common. I kind of feel like its not balanced. It definitely feels like the smartest way to use traps.

Its not that counselors will always fall for the traps, but more that they will likely not have a pocketknife to disarm them.

See you say this, but almost every time I'm Jason, by the time I get to the phone after loving around and getting shift and poo poo, almost everyone has grouped up and they all have like six knives a piece.

Every single person I pick up has a goddamn knife and I try so hard not to just cheese it and slash away but ALL of them are armed to the teeth.

It's like, Burk is Jason, let's become an armed mob! And I know for a drat fact that it doesn't happen other rounds because I've SEEN it not happen.

I just get stuck in this endless loop of barely breaking the phone box while trying to grab some one and then getting the poo poo kicked out of me by everyone else.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Basebf555 posted:

The only thing I want from the Savini skin is to see the drat thing in game already. I want to be hunted down and killed by Savini Jason.

Yeah I haven't played against Savini Jason once. I guess it's a good thing it's so rare right :hurr:

Unrelated note, my first time playing Jason and an unfortunate Tiffany stunned me with the sweater with no one but Debbie around. It didn't turn out well for them.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I hope they add Pamela Voorhees later, make her fast but weak, allow her to use weapons around camp to murder the counselors and give her grab kills that revolve around her stabbing people to death. Also start her in her Jeep so she can run people over and in turn, the counselors can use it to escape but maybe knock her down once to make her drop her keys.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Spawned as Chad. Found both car keys instantly and a gas can. Died under a bed. Chad out!

drat it, the items appeared next to the bed.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 2, 2017

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

My friend came over last night and played a couple of rounds. He jumped through an unopened window first thing. I did the same thing my first go. The other day I was standing in a cabin when this dude takes a running dash from off camera and leaps right through it into the waiting arms of Jason. I just watched through the window.

What I'm getting at is this thing seems to have some common threads in the learning curve. Also my friend escaped his first round but he was so freaked out and pumped when he succeeded that he jumped up and started handing out high fives. His palms were sweaty. It is hilarious how tense this jank game is. I love it.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

Please, as if Tommy could ever actually pull it off. He's had 3 different run-ins with Jason and his best strategy is still stabbing him with sharp objects and shooting him with a shotgun. Yea, that will totally work this time.

There should be some way in the game to lure Jason into the Lake and then trap him there, because that was by far the best plan Tommy ever came up with(and even that one was pretty dumb and he got very lucky).

Tommy is the reason Jason even came back. Every death past 6 is his fault. Jason was as dead as dead can be and would have stayed that way if Tommy could just get a decent therapist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Carebearz posted:

Only when the writer needs him to be. He's jumping out of the water all over 7 and in 8 he swims to NY no problem.

• Locked thread