Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

tanglewood1420 posted:

If Curry and Durant both get the max this season then there is no reasonable way they can keep both Livingston and Iggy and they could only possibly keep one of them if they took a way below market contract. Then you are gambling with a roster of the big four, plus McCaw and Looney, plus a taxpayer MLE guy ($5m), plus minsal vets - until summer 2019 when Klay hits FA and there is no way they could max him at that point so he'll probably leave (or they could trade him before then I guess). So while this Warriors team is probably one the three or four greatest teams ever, the next two seasons their depth is going to be appreciably worse and it can't conceivably last longer than that.

Of course if Durant is willing to take less than the max then all bets are off.

Durant taking 32 million rather than 35 million makes literally no appreciable difference. Unless he literally is going to play for like 40% below market value, then it does not really matter in the long run. They are going to be in the luxury tax next year with 8ish actual NBA players on their roster, and it only goes up from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

What other shook players can join and replenish the Warriors? IT after Ainge trades him for the Warriors 2020 and 2021 first rounders?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Durant taking 32 million rather than 35 million makes literally no appreciable difference. Unless he literally is going to play for like 40% below market value, then it does not really matter in the long run. They are going to be in the luxury tax next year with 8ish actual NBA players on their roster, and it only goes up from there.

This is not true. If he takes a $5 mil paycut, they don't have to renounce Iggy and Livingston, and both those guys have Bird Rights with the team. He'll likely do that for a 1 year contract, then sign his max in 2018 when he has bird rights with the Warriors.

Warriors will be in the tax, but that was going to happen regardless.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Lockback posted:

They get to play with Cap holds. Since Curry's cap hold is low, they get a "free" 20 million they can play with by not giving him his contract until the end. If Durant takes 5 or so million off his 1 year contract, they will be able to not renounce bird rights on Iggy and Livingston, and resign them to whatever. They'll be into the tax, but they won't be in repeater territory.

Pachulia and McGee are gone unless they take minimums. West is probably gone unless they want him over Iggy of Livingston. So they will catch some headwind, but that's not that big of a deal.

Edit:

Here's an article that explains it better. And Durant has already said he is open to taking a small cut.
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/after-new-cba-heres-what-has-to-happen-for-warriors-to-keep-durant-and-curry/

Wait what? This article really doesn't explain much. They are still over the cap with all the cap holds (assuming they renounce everyone but Iggy and Livingston). The only way they get cap room IS by renouncing those guys. What am I missing?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They can sign for less than their cap hold ??

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Gotta take your scoodenfroody where you find it friendo because otherwise

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

They can sign for less than their cap hold ??

Ah yeah, I wasn't really thinking about that. I think Livingston leaves because he could get paid and definitely should look for money at this point in his career. Who knows about Andre though.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Where are people getting these 2017 cap figures from. Woj reported like 2 months ago that the cap was expected to be 101-102 million.

I suppose andre could take a huge paycut and sign at like 8 million or something.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 2, 2017

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Paul Zuvella posted:

Where are people getting these 2017 cap figures from. Woj reported like 2 months ago that the cap was expected to be 101-102 million.

I just used the wrong number in my spreadsheet. Woops

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Gonna lmao when Steve Kerr comes back before game 2 and the Cavs win 4-1

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
What I miss

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

EvanTH posted:

What I miss

The NBA is getting cancelled

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Paul Zuvella posted:

The NBA is getting cancelled

Long time coming but in the end it's the proper decision

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
The NBA is moving to a tennis style series of international tournaments on different surfaces. Can't wait for clay season personally.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

leftist heap posted:

The NBA is moving to a tennis style series of international tournaments on different surfaces. Can't wait for clay season personally.

We found out last night that the performance of Klay is irrelevant.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
poo poo, when the 73 win warriors replaced Harry "Broad Side" Barnes with Kevin Durant, I never thought they'd be this good.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

TildeATH posted:

We found out last night that the performance of Klay is irrelevant.

Yeah but you can't be too cavalier about the possibility of it suddenly becoming relevant.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Cool Buff Man posted:

poo poo, when the 73 win warriors replaced Harry "Broad Side" Barnes with Kevin Durant, I never thought they'd be this good.

lol

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

BWV posted:

As much as I want the Cavs to win—and I do want them to win so badly—I also hope the Warriors sweep so history knows how colossal of a bitch Durant is.
Honestly, Kevin Durant's legacy will be worse having won 12 championships with the Warriors than it would be if he never made the finals in Oklahoma City.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Paul Zuvella posted:

If Durant resigns for his current salary or less ($31.8m) then they don't need to renounce Iguodala or Livingston. Then it doesn't matter what the cap is. Of course it will put them well into the tax.

e: beaten, should read the thread first before replying.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

Honestly, Kevin Durant's legacy will be worse having won 12 championships with the Warriors than it would be if he never made the finals in Oklahoma City.

On the other hand, 12 rings is 12 rings.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Fast Luck posted:

Only problem is that he did make the Finals in OKC.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Kibner posted:

Only problem is that he did make the Finals in OKC.

That roster was light years better than anything Durant would be able to play with during his productive window if he stayed in OKC

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
We all know how this story ends. KD gets two rings with GSW and everyone hates him. He goes back to OKC in a few years and suddenly everyone is on his jock as he takes them to a title.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Just FYI to any NBA execs reading this I am available for a front office job and as you can tell by my post history on cap space issues I'm very, very good at it

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Ammanas posted:

That roster was light years better than anything Durant would be able to play with during his productive window if he stayed in OKC

Their 5th best player by Win Shares was Kendrick Perkins.

At 2.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

leftist heap posted:

Just FYI to any NBA execs reading this I am available for a front office job and as you can tell by my post history on cap space issues I'm very, very good at it

How do you feel about living in Brooklyn?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

TBeats posted:

We all know how this story ends. KD gets two rings with GSW and everyone hates him. He goes back to OKC in a few years and suddenly everyone is on his jock as he takes them to a title.

I still wonder if he thinks he'll get a KG-esque home coming if he returns to OKC even though the two situations are completely different.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Brooklyn actually has a decent GM right now. It's just that he started with a terrible handicap.

edit - Nevermind, I just remembered he wanted to max Allen Crabbe and also got played by BJ Armstrong

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

WhyteRyce posted:

I still wonder if he thinks he'll get a KG-esque home coming if he returns to OKC even though the two situations are completely different.

People literally burned jersey's after the Decision. Fandom is the most fragile thing that turns faster than Benedict Arnold at a strategy meeting

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Paul Zuvella posted:

How do you feel about living in Brooklyn?

Oh I forgot to mention I'm not willing to relocate and since I live in small town Canada I'll need to work remotely. Hope that's not an issue.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

On thing I enjoy about the Warriors winning right now is that they can plug anyone in as a head coach and the team still looks like one of the greatest ever...anyone except for Mark Jackson

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

leftist heap posted:

Oh I forgot to mention I'm not willing to relocate and since I live in small town Canada I'll need to work remotely. Hope that's not an issue.

Are you by any chance Phil Jackson?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Tae posted:

People literally burned jersey's after the Decision. Fandom is the most fragile thing that turns faster than Benedict Arnold at a strategy meeting

Strategy Meeting

I'm dying

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

tanglewood1420 posted:

Yes OKC 2015-16 were a really good team, almost as good, perhaps equal, to the Warriors of 2015-16.

Talk about revisionist history.

OKC was a 55-27 win team. GSW was 73-9.

Yes, OKC played their asses off in a playoff series against GSW and almost pulled off a massive upset, but they were not equal teams.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

I wonder if front offices are all going over this poo poo today too lmao

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

TBeats posted:

No way in hell he gets forgiven like that

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Paperback Writer posted:

I wonder if front offices are all going over this poo poo today too lmao

How much of cbafaq.com's traffic can be traced to NBA front offices? I bet it's a lot. Somewhere out there Phil Jackson is googling "New York Knicks salaries".

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

(crabbe is valuable)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

LeBron learned to embrace the anger that was directed toward him over The Decision. KD is still fuming about that one time someone didn't signal they were turning right when KD was waiting trying to turn left onto the street.

• Locked thread