Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pram
Jun 10, 2001

lol :canada:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Cold on a Cob posted:

canadians love that loving arm

also we invented basketball and superman and we won't shut up about that either

the inventors of basketball and superman did so outside of canada, were also american citizens, and afaik never returned to canada lol

i'm surprised they haven't tried to put superman on the $50 lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
put the insulin guy on the $5

gently caress the stupid canadarm

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Trig Discipline posted:

surely they prepare the dads for that, right? like "okay at one point it's going to start looking like a shark got loose in the tub, don't get freaked out"

:nms:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
:manning:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
:chloe:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

tfw ur whole family hype 4 borscht

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

kinda miss this logo font

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Cold on a Cob posted:

i'm surprised they haven't tried to put superman on the $50 lol

reminder that Superman stopped racism and the KKK

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

eastern polish Christmas tree notation

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol what a joke

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/screens/2017-06-01/virtual-reality-arcade-opens-in-east-austin/
finally, a place I can go to meet women by not looking at them

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

the gif stops right before the tiger killed the guy and the dustbuster because guess what you shouldnt scare tigers

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lol canadia is pathetic in their pride

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

no dactyl nightmare, not interested

also they'd better have a better cable management system than what's shown in the photos (nothing)

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

whoever made this is really bad at photoshop and also thinks they're really good at photoshop

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

LastInLine posted:

the gif stops right before the tiger killed the guy and the dustbuster because guess what you shouldnt scare tigers

it's just a big ol' kitty cat

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

LastInLine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV13TS990ZY

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

god bless the queen

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/konami-code-test-discover/hdimokbcjdmhakamdmjbgehfalfajaha?hl=en

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

whoever made this is really bad at photoshop and also thinks they're really good at photoshop

content aware fill, bitch!

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

NoneMoreNegative posted:

tfw ur whole family hype 4 borscht

literally lol'd irl

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

prepare to be triggered

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ArmZ posted:

prepare to be triggered

aaaaaaaaaaargh

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

ArmZ posted:

prepare to be triggered

adjust chodelume

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

ArmZ posted:

prepare to be triggered

:discourse:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

all of these people are irish, so that you can hear it properly

http://i.imgur.com/36xPhdg.mp4

bean garda = policewoman

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

i lolled but irl all of that code was designed for the guidance computers of apollo which would barely be what you call "embedded systems" by todays standards and surely highly optimized. :colbert:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fascinating, i'm sure yospos is unfamiliar with the history of computing and/or the space program

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sagebrush posted:

fascinating, i'm sure yospos is unfamiliar with the history of computing and/or the space program

i'm sperging here, dont take this away from me.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it bugs me when someone quotes the same old chestnut about how "your high school calculator has more processing power than the computers that landed on the moon!" because it's like, yes, maybe by some metric like clock speed or memory, but those computers were built from the ground up by teams of world expert engineers and scientists to perform one task, and they would do it far better than your ti-83 even if it could run the same code

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

the apollo computers used acoustic delay lines as memory, and they somehow got them to work reliably inside the loudest machine ever built as it tried to shake itself to bits

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

all of these people are irish, so that you can hear it properly

http://i.imgur.com/36xPhdg.mp4

bean garda = policewoman
this is amazing where can i get this in video form

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i found it, it's so much better with sound

https://www.facebook.com/Welcometoirelandd/videos/1032645486866030

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Sagebrush posted:

it bugs me when someone quotes the same old chestnut about how "your high school calculator has more processing power than the computers that landed on the moon!" because it's like, yes, maybe by some metric like clock speed or memory, but those computers were built from the ground up by teams of world expert engineers and scientists to perform one task, and they would do it far better than your ti-83 even if it could run the same code
The Apollo Guidance Computer ran at 2MHz, with 4K of RAM and 72K ROM, while a Ti-83 is slightly but definitely better. The main advantage for the Apollo is that it's man-rated and guaranteed to give the correct answer, while the Ti-83 probably would give the right answer.
E: OTOH, even running emulators and that-which-I-tell-you-three-times-is-true, my phone can probably still do better than the AGC at guiding the Apollo module.

darthbob88 fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 2, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you can't just compare memory and clock speed with two vastly different architectures though

the zilog z80 in a ti-83 is a general purpose microprocessor that can do a lot of things reasonably well

the apollo guidance computer is built from the hardware level to do the few tasks it needs to do as quickly and reliably as was possible in the day

i don't know anything about the actual construction of the AGC but i wouldn't be at all surprised if, for instance, it had circuits built to do certain important operations entirely in hardware, maybe even analog hardware, thousands of times faster than if they were run in code

i'd compare the AGC to a modern ASIC or FPGA, not a general-purpose processor

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

my kerbal minions can barely get to the mun without exploding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

VR is here to stay

• Locked thread