Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tons of people use voice chat. Nobody uses public channels unless they're trying to harass people or want to get harassed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

That's true. it's something that's 'nice to have' for me but not a deal breaker. Their solution just sounds so silly. Normally I'm OK waiting to see how these things work in practice but yeah, it really seems like a mistake. It's so odd that there's an NFC reader and IR sensor in the Joycon, but no mic/headset jack.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

well why not posted:

Even on PC, playing something like Overwatch, CS:GO, TF2 etc voice chat is pretty uncommon.

Do you not play with friends?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Martytoof posted:

Nth'ing what's been said. For a subscription to VC I'd probably pay Netflix prices assuming it's well stocked. If it turns out to be a few select titles then I guess $20/year is the max and I'd be buying it for the online play aspect.
I would guess it would be like the VC in that it'll be a small library at first but will be (slowly) expanded upon.

The big question is whether we have to wait until 2018 for this, or if the "free trial" starting this Summer will allow access to it. Hopefully we'll find out more at E3.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kashuno posted:

Even if you personally don't use voice chat, there is no excusing the way Nintendo is handling it on Switch

Eh, I'd have to see how it handles on the app. If it's just essentially Discord with your friends list automatically loaded, I'd actually prefer to have that next to me on the couch than interfacing through the console.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Andrast posted:

of course not

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Would love to see Nintendo do something unique with the online service, maybe bringing back a Satellaview type deal where they have custom games available for a limited time.

Looking forward to BS Breath of the Wild and Radical Dreamers 2

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Redoing BS Zelda with Patricia Summerset and whoever voiced the King would be pretty drat awesome.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

well why not posted:

of course not

It's pretty fun. You should try it.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

With all of the game and online announcements in the past week I am getting hyped for whatever e3 actually has in store.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Andrast posted:

Need some friends first

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Andrast posted:

I've checked the eShop, but I can't see "friends" available to purchase.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

RCarr posted:

Every single person who plays with friends?

I use my voice to chat when I play with friends. But I don't need any extra gear for that, we just hear each other talking

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I use my voice to chat when I play with friends. But I don't need any extra gear for that, we just hear each other talking

but what app do you use?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:siren: Battle Chasers: Nightwar launches October 3rd! :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz2MRHAJiyE

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-01-darksiders-devs-battle-chasers-nightwar-gets-a-release-date

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Nephzinho posted:

With all of the game and online announcements in the past week I am getting hyped for whatever e3 actually has in store.

First E3 I'll have cared about in a while.

Didn't realize ARMS test punch was this weekend too, I thought I'd missed it. Switch is being delivered today and I'm really curious about how ARMS plays.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Andrast posted:

i am sending a friend code your way

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

this looks so pretty and also worryingly devoid of anything meaningful, just like me

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Martytoof posted:

First E3 I'll have cared about in a while.

Didn't realize ARMS test punch was this weekend too, I thought I'd missed it. Switch is being delivered today and I'm really curious about how ARMS plays.
There were 2, one last weekend and one this weekend. I think the one this weekend will have some different characters/modes available? But the times are all the same as last weekend.

I'm one of those people who thinks that ARMS maybe isn't "for me", I missed last weekend's TP but I might give it a try this weekend to see how I feel about it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

irlZaphod posted:

There were 2, one last weekend and one this weekend. I think the one this weekend will have some different characters/modes available? But the times are all the same as last weekend.

I'm one of those people who thinks that ARMS maybe isn't "for me", I missed last weekend's TP but I might give it a try this weekend to see how I feel about it.

That's correct. This weekend's TestPunch will add Twintelle and a couple more modes.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

irlZaphod posted:

On first look it doesn't seem terribly interesting but who knows, I might love it after playing.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

8 est for test punch right?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

there will be no SNES titles in the switch vc so as not to compete with the SNES classic. Once that leaves production, they'll hit the switch

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I will not need my switch anymore once the SNES classic comes out because I will never plug anything else in again

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Little Mac posted:

there will be no SNES titles in the switch vc so as not to compete with the SNES classic. Once that leaves production, they'll hit the switch

So early next year for SNES in Switch VC, then.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Gaspy Conana posted:

I'm optimistic that 'online play' is legit online play. I know it's hard to believe that Nintendo would actually do something cool, but it wouldn't really be much of a technical feat or anything. They wouldnt need to modify the games themselves, just build around them to accept p1/p2 inputs from the internets and deal with latency shenanigans. It's been in emulators for a long time.

If the subscription service includes a library of games that everyone has access to, I would love to see the ability to make a lobby with people and jump in and out of different games. Don't make me have to set up new game requests because we got bored with Mario Bros after 5 minutes.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Arms is exactly how it looks, no more, no less

Whatever opinions you had going into it, cautious optimism, discomfort with Spring Man's toothpaste hair, motion control garbage PTSD, will be rewarded with feelings that coincide with your trailer impressions

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
The new announcements about online sound good but Jesus Christ 2018? The gently caress are you doing Nintendo hurry that poo poo up.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I hope it's delayed because they presented it to NoA and Reggie was like "lol what the gently caress"

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

will the snes classic be portable? check and mate mother crushers

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

this looks so pretty and also worryingly devoid of anything meaningful, just like me

:hf: relatable. I have a feeling I'm gonna end up skipping ARMS just because of all the crap going on in my life right now. By the time I'm ready to pay attention to it, it will have been eclipsed entirely by Splatoon 2.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm lolling since some people seem to think that online multiplayer in say Super mario 3 means coop.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

drat the rubberbanding in RMX is obnoxious.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Martytoof posted:

On first look it doesn't seem terribly interesting but who knows, I might love it after playing.

I thought it looked sick and was hyped to play it but I turned it off after 10 minutes lol

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Stoked on the late night announcement. Stoked for E3. Switch is the tits.

Get hype.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Lodin posted:

I'm lolling since some people seem to think that online multiplayer in say Super mario 3 means coop.

I suspect it'll be like Mario 3D Land on 3DS where you had a leaderboard.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Lodin posted:

Those idiots don't realize you can attack the other player on the map screen at any time and steal their goal cards

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Andrast posted:

Seriously. If you play team games by yourself, you're doing it wrong.

Visit the Call of Duty thread for more information.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

RCarr posted:

Every single person who plays with friends?

I use Mumble or discord. In game voice chat always sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The voice chat argument is going in circles. Nobody is going to convince anyone that Nintendo is or isn't right with their handling of said chat :saddowns:

bef posted:

I thought it looked sick and was hyped to play it but I turned it off after 10 minutes lol

A distinct possibility!

Back to Zelda for me, in that case. Win/win.

• Locked thread