Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Pick posted:

sorry, DumpsterTM

Thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Just going back to this one to remind everyone that dude is almost certainly a software engineer and he doesn't have to be destroying his relationship, or all enjoyment outside of work period, for minimal gain in his career. Software engineers are the most in-demand human resource in America after nurses these days. If he's anywhere decently competent, he could easily walk away to somewhere that will pay him a handsome wage for a regular humane 8-5 40 hour week with ordinary work-life balance. But he'll never do that because he's too brainwashed into thinking he needs to "advance" at his insanely overworked slavery tech shop to keep up with his further enslaved bros. Tech giants are a sad, sad loop of delusional dreams that usually end in failure.

This is true, but also many of those jobs are in the Bay Area or Seattle, both of which aren't cheap.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

feedmegin posted:

My dudes have you considered having a National Health Service? It turns out that works pretty well, by and large.

There's about a third of America who enthusiastically believes that health care is a financial privilege and not a fundamental right for all. The people who most believe in this are often on the lower end of income, maybe median income at best, but they do not want to give the poor people (keyword: blacks and other people of color) health care as long as they exist and often cite God or Jesus to justify this in their broken rear end minds. Capitalism owns.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

maskenfreiheit posted:

This is true, but also many of those jobs are in the Bay Area or Seattle, both of which aren't cheap.

Plenty of them are in semi-affordable places like Minneapolis or Madison.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I am a SOFTWARE ENGINEER, just like my daddy and his daddy and his daddy's daddy. I come from a long long line've software engineers and I'll die've high blood pressure before I'll 'seek healthy alternatives'!!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Hugh once programmed a utility that let him track when his other coworkers were at work.

Hello Ketene
Dec 30, 2011
My boyfriend [27] just started hitting me [24], but I have hit him in the past. I'm confused and don't know how to feel.

quote:

I have been with my boyfriend for about four years. He has been extremely mentally abusive the last few months, but very recently he has started to be physically abusive as well.

I used to be physically abusive to him. When I used to hit him, he would never hit me back so I did not think that this would ever happen. He also knew that my ex boyfriend used to hit me and he told me that I would never have to worry about that with him.

It started with just a push. The next time was just a push too, but that time it was harder. The time after that was a hard push into a wall. Then the punching began. The first time he punched me was on my chest. It left a red mark. The next time he punched me was on my arm. That time it left a bruise. Part of that bruise is still on my arm right now.

When I would hit him, it would be from a build up of all of the mental abuse. I would immediately apologize afterwards because I would feel so bad. I just was so hurt because he was so mean so I would just explode sometimes. I'm not saying it was right, I'm just explaining what went through my head when I did what I did. He also would say things to get a reaction out of me a lot. He would try to hurt me.

I don't know what to do. I kind of feel like I don't have a right to be mad since I used to hit him. Part of me feels like I do because I was never a real threat to him, but he is a real threat to me. He is big and takes steroids. When I hit him, it probably didn't even hurt him. When he hits me, it hurts.

I don't know what to do. He can be very mean to me and now along with being mean he is starting to hit me. After he cools off, he will apologize and say that he didn't mean the stuff that he said. He usually doesn't comment about hitting me though.

I probably sound stupid. I always thought people like me sounded stupid until I was in the same situation myself. I am still with him because he apologizes and things are slowly getting better with both the physical and mental abuse. When things are good, they're great, but when things are bad, it sucks...

I usually never say anything hurtful to him because I believe if you love someone that you can be mad at them, but you don't have to be mean to them. That person is still the one you love. I am guilty though. I have done a lot of things in the past, like a lot of lying and stuff. I haven't done anything in a while though so I feel like this is very undeserved.

I don't know why I posted this. I just want some advice. Should I accept this since I did it to him? Do I deserve this for all the lovely stuff I did? Am I crazy???

TL;DR; My boyfriend just started to hit me, but I used to hit him. I don't know what to do because I feel like I don't have a right to be mad. What should I do?

:yikes:

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

maskenfreiheit posted:

Literally every major city (let's say over 100k or so in population) in America has an overabundance of tech jobs. Sure, you won't be working for Google, Facebook, or Microsoft, but you'll be living a very comfortable life, in a city with significantly saner living costs, where you won't be worked to the bone as a coding slave.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 2, 2017

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Esoteric Scientist posted:

My boyfriend [27] just started hitting me [24], but I have hit him in the past. I'm confused and don't know how to feel.

goddamn its like a cycle of some kind... a cycle, of ABUSE!

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Literally every major city (let's say over 100k or so in population) in America has an overabundance of tech jobs. Sure, you won't be working for Google, Facebook, or Microsoft, but you'll be living a very comfortable life, in a city with significantly saner living costs, where you won't be worked to the bone as a coding slave.

Do you work in tech?

I've noticed many places outside major cities use different/outdated tech. So someone with 3 years of Python experience might get passed over for not having 3 years of Perl experience by a podunk HR dept, for example.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

This one is really sad. :(

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Me, grad student, [27F] with my Professor [40M]. He harassed me and got away with it. Now he is threatening legal action against me for returning keys to his graduate student. What do I do?

quote:

Throwaway because I think this professor lurks reddit. I apologize in advance for this lengthy post. I am a PhD student in the life sciences at a big institution in the US. There is a new professor (I'll call him Andrew) who joined our relatively small department who seems to pick fights with almost everyone, but lately, I have been his target. Oddly, he only seems to pick fights with women (I am also a woman). He seems to have a grudge against me, and I don't know why.

How I think it started: Andrew's first graduate student (Katie) and another student (Len) organized student recruitment dinner. Andrew, being a bit of a micromanager, would make sure Katie would only invite certain students. They went to dinner at a restaurant in downtown of the city we live in. On the night of the dinner, I texted Katie and Len to see if I could swing by dinner for a few minutes, because a bunch of graduate students who were attending the dinner were going to go to a party with me down the street. I didn't eat or drink any of the food. Said nice generic things to the interviewing students about our dept and played on my phone most of the time. The following workday, Andrew approached me, took me into his office and started raising his voice saying "How dare you attend something you were never invited to in the first place?" "Students in this department feel very entitled." And then accused me saying "I heard you bullied the organizers in front of the interviewing students." I was so shocked, and I showed Andrew the texts on my phone saying that I texted the organizers, I didn't bully anyone, and I only went for a few minutes. The student organizers, Len and Katie, are good friends of mine and they'd never lie about something like this (Also, Andrew has a history of twisting words).

2 weeks ago, I had my committee meeting. I reserved a conference room, and Andrew's students wanted to use it as soon as I was done for a lab meeting. After my meeting was over, I was decompressing for a few minutes while my friends were eating the food I brought for my committee and helping me clean up. Andrew knocks on the door, enters the room, and starts screaming "WE'RE OUT HERE ON OUR ASSES WHILE YOU'RE IN HERE EATING. YOU KNEW OP, YOU KNEW WE NEEDED THIS ROOM!" Again, I was in shock. I had only been in the room for a few minutes after my meeting was over, and more importantly, I was still well-within my reserved time. I calmly told him "We just finished a few minutes ago. And I also have the room until 1pm, it's now 12:15pm." He continued to yell, point his finger at me saying I knew they needed it, and my friends and I quickly got our things out of the room. I did not react, and I did not say anything. Then he comes outside into the hall and starts yelling at me again in front of students. I didn't react and just kept saying "okay" until he left. I quickly reported this to my advisor and my dept group coordinator, who suggested I write him a letter.

I wrote him a letter explaining how I felt bullied and harassed when he yelled at me in front of several students multiple times both inside the room and outside. I explained that this isn't the first time he's treated me this way. I also said that I no longer want to speak with him unless it's in the presence of my advisor or group coordinator. I had both my advisor, group coordinator, and witnesses of the incident double check the contents of this letter before sending it to him, to ensure everything is accurate.

This brings me to yesterday... At the end of the work day, I had locked myself out of my lab, and Katie gave me her set of keys (we all have the same key for the labs on our floor) to let myself in. After grabbing my things to go home, I quickly walked into Katie's/Andrew's lab to give Katie her keys back and walked right out. For context, our floor has an open-door policy, grad students are always walking in and out of each other's labs. I certainly never go in this lab, but this time, I just wanted to give Katie her keys back. I did not make conversation, I did not speak to anyone other than telling Katie "here are your keys." I simply dropped her keys in her hand and walked out. On my way out, Andrew started yelling "YOU ARE NOT WELCOME IN THIS LAB. AS PER YOUR LETTER, YOU ARE NOT WELCOME!" I didn't react, just said 'Okay' and walked out.

2 hours later, I received this email from Andrew: ...I am deeply concerned because today at approximately 6:30pm, you chose of your own volition to enter my laboratory and approach within a couple of feet of me (witnesses were my graduate students Katie & otherstudent). I immediately told you to leave. Given the false and slanderous contents and tone of your earlier letter (which I am happy to share), I want it on the record that you entered my lab voluntarily today and against my wishes. These actions are not in keeping with your quoted preferences -- they violate your own suggestion above that we only communicate in the presence of the group coordinator and/or your advisor. Your provocative behavior is not acceptable to me, and it suggests that you are looking to instigate further conflict (I will not speculate here on motivation, even if it is obvious). Frankly, I am not interested in engaging. So, from this point onwards, you are to stay out of my lab. Always. No exceptions. If you cannot do so, I will be forced to look into legal options such as a restraining order. My preference is to avoid a protracted conflict, but I refuse to be bullied and harassed by a hostile graduate student. I hope that this is where it ends, but I will contact legal counsel if necessary.

I have never had an issue with a professor or colleague in my life. I am in very good standing in my department and get along well with all my colleagues. I did not violate the suggestions in my letter, as I did not speak to him. This came as a shock to me. Thankfully, I spoke with my advisor and trusted mentors who were also CC'd on this email, and they both thought this email was absolutely insane, crazy, unacceptable, totally over the top, etc.

My issue: Unfortunately, after the group coordinator talked to him about this email, all he could tell me was 'Well, this is how Andrew felt. And you can't control how anyone feels.' The group coordinator is also friends with Andrew, and this might be why he couldn't be as direct when speaking to Andrew...

I am so upset and disappointed. I don't think a professor should threaten a student with legal action over something as little as this. I feel let down. I feel as though they protected him and not me. By not telling him his behavior was unprofessional, they essentially validated his behavior and indirectly told him he was in the right. I don't know what to do at this point. I just want this professor to leave me alone. The bathroom and ice machine are by his lab, and I feel afraid just walking over to grab ice for my experiments. I am scared to even use the restroom. I have really bad anxiety which is giving me panic attacks nonstop. I just don't know what to do.

I would appreciate any advice you may have. Thank you for reading.

tl;dr - Professor has a grudge against me. Lashed out at me multiple times. I told him I'm going to speak with him anymore. His grad student lends me her keys one day, and I quickly walked in & out their lab to give them back to her without saying a word. I receive an email threatening legal action because of this. Group coordinator only says I can't control how he feels.

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

Literally every major city (and most smaller medium-sized cities) in America has an overabundance of tech jobs. Sure, you won't be working for Google, Facebook, or Microsoft, but you'll be living a very comfortable life, in an area with significantly saner living costs, where you won't be worked to the bone as a coding slave.

But then people will always ask him "you worked at google?! Why would you ever quit?!"

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

maskenfreiheit posted:

Me, grad student, [27F] with my Professor [40M]. He harassed me and got away with it. Now he is threatening legal action against me for returning keys to his graduate student. What do I do?

You came within a few feet of me and I'm very upset, I'm a real person and not a goddamn alien.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

But I have to work for Fooglebook because they make the best smartphone OS :qq:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Pebergehund posted:

But then people will always ask him "you worked at google?! Why would you ever quit?!"

"my dick stopped functioning from stress"

that'd shut those fuckers right up. Perfect for a job interview too.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

maskenfreiheit posted:

Grad school is basically a BDSM dungeon without the sex. Just get out and go have a life.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Pick posted:

Grad school is basically a BDSM dungeon without the sex. Just get out and go have a life.

sign me the gently caress up

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Update! My husband (29m) of three months thinks I'm (25/f) ugly. Where do I go from here?Updates

I talked to my husband. He apologized and said that this stemmed from his frustration from my diet and lack of exercise. Like I said in my post, I'm 115 lbs but I'm also not in shape. Just skinny. He goes to the gym 5 days a week. He said he's disappointed. I guess him seeing other women or other moms going and getting "toned" showed him that I'm lazy. I'll admit. I am! I have a baby. I also know my diet isn't the best. To be honest, toning up is not on my list of priorities. He said he was venting with his friend.

I still am weary though. We are going to counseling this week.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

E: wrong thread.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Pick posted:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Dunning Krugerrand posted:

This one is long but the surprise twist ending on part 2 it made it worth it. You should read the whole thing but I added some bolding for the lazy.

My wife [27F] has asked me [29M] to stop talking to my best friend [28F], and is upset that I'm sad about it.

Sounds like your garden variety boundary issues right? LOL NO

Update: My wife [27F] has asked me [29M] to stop talking to my best friend [28F], and is upset that I'm sad about it.

Should have been like "yeah, that's probably what pushed him over the edge" and then called a divorce lawyer to set up an appointment without breaking eye contact.

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

Motherfucker posted:

"my dick stopped functioning from stress"

that'd shut those fuckers right up. Perfect for a job interview too.

Should put it on his evaluations too
Good: exceeded all my kpis
Bad: stress has destroyed my dick

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
My [M27] boyfriend of two years wanted me [F26] to stop spending so much money on beauty supplies. I did, but now he thinks I'm ugly and he is secretly spending that money on something else.

So I have fairly bad skin. I have about six to seven red pimples on my face at any one time, uneven skin tone, and dark undereyes. I also have rather small eyes and eyelashes. So without makeup and a regime of beauty products, I don’t look as pretty. However, my boyfriend is aware of, and hasn’t complained about my natural look before.

We have live together for about six months, and recently in the last two months I have made a change. My boyfriend was rather upset with how much I spent on makeup and beauty supplies a month since we have combined expenses. I probably spend about $75 a month on lotions, makeup, and whatever else I need. He told me, “why not just go without makeup and use what I use?” He thought the extra $75 would be better spent on something we buy together, like food.

So I did. I wanted to make my boyfriend happy, and it seemed like a good idea at the time. It wasn’t.

After a few weeks I started to break out even worse, and once my old makeup started to run out I noticed that my boyfriend stopped taking me out. We used to go on a date every Friday, but not anymore. We would go out with friends on Saturday, but suddenly my boyfriend wants to just “hang out with the guys” for weeks. And grocery shopping? He started doing it by himself on Friday when I am at work (he’s self-employed).

So I asked him about it, and he told me, “You’ve really let yourself go. I think you need to lose weight if you want this relationship to be more serious.”

I have never been so insulted in my life. One, because we have been talking about marriage since we moved in together (though it “mysteriously” stopped recently), and two, I’ve lost ten pounds since I started to really focus on my exercise regime. I told him this, and he said I was lying. Clearly I’ve gotten fatter, because my face is all puffy.

I wanted to shout at him, but I didn’t, and we sat in the living room. I told him that the only thing that changed, other than my weight gain, was that I stopped using all my beauty products and instead used the cheaper stuff he does. I asked him if the reason why we stopped going on dates is because I don’t look as polished as I normally do. He said yes, that’s why.

I know how much attraction means to guys, so I told him that I should probably get back to my beauty regime, but he got very, very upset and said that I spend too much money and that I was obviously just not trying hard enough with what we already have. That maybe I was skipping out on washing my face and that maybe the scale is wrong and I have gained weight (I also weighed myself at my friend’s last week, so we would both need to have identically miscalibrated scales).

After that we didn’t talk to each other for awhile, him because he thought I was lying, and me because I just needed to calm myself down so I wouldn’t say something I regretted. I went into the bedroom, and my boyfriend’s laptop was on his bed. When I moved it the screen flickered and I noticed that on his desktop was a bunch of videogames I hadn’t seen him play before.

I feel really bad about it, but I thought something was off so I went onto our bank account website. Normally my boyfriend pays all the bills out of our joint account, and I have always paid everything in cash (I just like the feeling of it) so he usually gets money out of the bank for me during the day and I go spend it.

Well, I noticed a lot of transactions for steam. About $75 worth for the last two months.

Money is pretty tight in our household; we are putting money towards savings and student debt, but we are frugal otherwise. We each have a personal budget though for non-essential expenses, about $150 each. I didn’t realize it before, but when I stopped buying beauty products, my personal budget also went down instead of up, and my boyfriend has been spending the difference on video games.

I don’t know what to do from here.

TL;DR: My boyfriend asked me to stop spending so much money on beauty supplies to help out our budget. Now he considers me ugly and fat and may not commit to me in the future. Also, the money that was supposed to go towards shared expenses went towards secret video game purchases.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Man I thought the 'I beat my boyfriend and now he beats me' thing was sad but holy gently caress.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

Pick posted:

Update! My husband (29m) of three months thinks I'm (25/f) ugly. Where do I go from here?Updates

I talked to my husband. He apologized and said that this stemmed from his frustration from my diet and lack of exercise. Like I said in my post, I'm 115 lbs but I'm also not in shape. Just skinny. He goes to the gym 5 days a week. He said he's disappointed. I guess him seeing other women or other moms going and getting "toned" showed him that I'm lazy. I'll admit. I am! I have a baby. I also know my diet isn't the best. To be honest, toning up is not on my list of priorities. He said he was venting with his friend.

I still am weary though. We are going to counseling this week.

Ahhhhh, even if she's super short she's still most likely pretty small.

Like my mom is 4'11" and weighs just under 110 and is a teeny tiny person.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Lockhorns: Origins

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Bamabalacha posted:

Ahhhhh, even if she's super short she's still most likely pretty small.

Like my mom is 4'11" and weighs just under 110 and is a teeny tiny person.

Gf is like 5'4 or 5'5, 117, skinny but not like anorexic or anything. I think Americans just have a skewed view of healthy weights nowadays.

Not that it matters in that case tho, dude's a pos.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

ArbitraryC posted:

Gf is like 5'4 or 5'5, 117, skinny but not like anorexic or anything. I think Americans just have a skewed view of healthy weights nowadays.

Not that it matters in that case tho, dude's a pos.

Oh yeah, I'm 5'7" and generally between 115 and 120 and I'm skinny but not skeletor skinny.

This also reminded me that the pictures of when my mom was pregnant with my brother are loving hysterical. He was 11 pounds when he was born and my mom basically looks like a sphere in all the pictures in the months leading up to his birth.

And my brother was born a few days after Christmas so there are a looooot of pictures.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That's pretty loving skinny, I'm 5'8" and when I was 118 I looked and felt like absolute poo poo. 125 is like a necessary minimum.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I'm 6'1" and 150, toching me is like touching a particularly angry urchin

just spines everywhere

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
weight doesn't matter, muscle mass does

i'll date a 250lb woman but only if she can crush my head like a watermelon

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

maskenfreiheit posted:

Do you work in tech?

I've noticed many places outside major cities use different/outdated tech. So someone with 3 years of Python experience might get passed over for not having 3 years of Perl experience by a podunk HR dept, for example.

Yes, I live in Columbus and work in tech. Anyone semi-competent with 3 years of solid Python experience could net an $80k+ programmer job here working for Nationwide Insurance, L Brands, Chase, Wendy's, Huntington Bank, etc with fairly normal work-life balance. This is the case in any major city in Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, and much of the Midwest and rest of the country that isn't the Bay Area or other stereotypical tech giant areas.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Pick posted:

That's pretty loving skinny, I'm 5'8" and when I was 118 I looked and felt like absolute poo poo. 125 is like a necessary minimum.

I have a baby face, absolutely zero boobs, and do a lot of yoga. I prefer being in the 120 range though.

And I felt waaaay worse when I was around 130, but that can probably be put down to eating crap.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I'm 5'11" and 140 or so lol

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
i'm 400lbs and about to release the piss tape

Hello Ketene
Dec 30, 2011

maskenfreiheit posted:

:allears:

hahaha I guess at least she's learning one of the fundamentals of grad school. In a bubble full of people with massively inflated egos, never ever interact with the craziest ones, don't even get close to them if you can, wear a loving ghillie suit instead of a lab coat to hide from them if you have to.

On my first year as a PhD student I went to a friend's lab to borrow some diazomethane because ours had gone bad, and I had no idea that his advisor was one of the major lunatics in our department (I knew she was kind of a weirdo, but that could be said baout half of the professors there). As I was walking away with their bottle of diazomethane she rushed out of the lab and started screaming at the top of her lungs that I was stealing their diazomethane. It was equal parts shocking and surreal. That was my first and only interaction with her; after that I learned to avoid her like the plague.

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

I am 9'11" and 420 lbs and this is important for all of you to know

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Pick posted:

Plenty of them are in semi-affordable places like Minneapolis or Madison.

Can confirm, being an SE in Milwaukee owns. The great lakes region is basically clinging for dear life to the east coast as the rural midwest tries to suck it into the void.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Unless a woman is like 4'9", 115 lbs is going to be anywhere from the skinny side of normal weight to terrifyingly skinny. Lmao. 😂🤣