Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Oh wow he winning a city. Major shocker

don't worry friend, i realize it's a hassle to read all of an article instead of just the lead, so here u go lil buddy

quote:

A national poll published on Thursday showed that across the country the Conservative poll lead has shrunk to jus three points, with the Conservatives on 42 points but Labour are close behind on 39.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
I believe the bombshells are being done to keep the investigation going and prevent it from stalling. Every time Trump tries to shut it down worse leaks are coming out. When he hasn't, like over the past two weeks because of the foreign trip, there are relatively fewer bombshells. The floodgates are going to break when he special counsel recommends charges against Flynn. Flynn straight up tried to stop attacks on ISIS by the Kurds to help Turkey and he got paid for it. He also didn't tell the government he got paid by Turkey.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

You guys are underestimating how bloodthirsty the left electorate can be.

I'm still not sure what stopped impeachment hearings in 2006.

Oh wait I know: democrats

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Can Corbyn undo Brexit? I don't understand how the UK government works.

If elected he could attempt to single handedly stop Brexit but has not signaled he would, and it's unclear if the EU would actually let him withdraw from the process.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Why do British prime ministers keep committing Royal self-owns by calling for elections to prove a point?

Media bubble.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The one positive thing about Trump is that its directly inspiring nations throughout the Western World to avoid doing what we did. It's no coincidence that Europe is starting to shift leftward after its years long lurch toward the right.

BREXIT can be stopped, yes. By Corbyn or anyone else.

edit:

mango sentinel posted:

If elected he could attempt to single handedly stop Brexit but has not signaled he would, and it's unclear if the EU would actually let him withdraw from the process.

They would. Article 50 can be cancelled pretty much at any point, and EU officials have already stated they will explicitly point to this in the official final exit agreement.

botany fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 2, 2017

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Ogmius815 posted:

Labor is still projected to lose seats and continue their time in the wilderness. I don't think they're a party to emulate.

They only went up 15 points in the polls in a week after releasing a manifesto that actually helps people for the first time in decades instead of more centrist third way poo poo that everyone hates, no point in learning any lessons from this clearly.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

FizFashizzle posted:

You guys are underestimating how bloodthirsty the left electorate can be.

I'm still not sure what stopped impeachment hearings in 2006.

Oh wait I know: democrats

Not enough evidence to connect the Valarie Plame leaks and W. People went to jail for it but there wasn't enough evidence to get to the Vice President or Rove.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Since the Paris Agreement was kind of toothless maybe Trump being a huge loving baby and bringing up fresh outrage about climate change throughout a poo poo ton of influential and important people will mean we can get a better agreement after he's gone?

Art of the Deal baby.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

May has already delivered the article 50 notification, so by the law as written Brexit is assured. If the will of the UK and the EU were united against it they could probably find a loophole or means of delaying it indefinitely though.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Is Ossoff going to be yet another case of "he only lost by 2% which is good for the Democrats"?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Since the Paris Agreement was kind of toothless maybe Trump being a huge loving baby and bringing up fresh outrage about climate change throughout a poo poo ton of influential and important people will mean we can get a better agreement after he's gone?

Art of the Deal baby.

What does "a better agreement" even mean

you realize you had no obligations under the old agreement, right

you could have just said "our new emissions goals are 1% of the old goals, deal with it" and nobody would have done anything because nothing was binding and no sanctions were possible.

edit: Wait, or did you mean "a better agreement" in the sense of a deal that actually includes an enforcement mechanism? In that case I apologize for misunderstanding, but that's basically not going to happen ever.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Crows Turn Off posted:

Is Ossoff going to be yet another case of "he only lost by 2% which is good for the Democrats"?

Most likely.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

mango sentinel posted:

The EU has said they would, nothing stops Parliament from reversing it except the prospect of getting voted out in constituencies that are pro Brexit

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

glowing-fish posted:

There is pretty good evidence that the public has responded to Trump and Russia, especially to Comey:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/?ex_cid=rrpromo

Approval ratings were low, but after Comey they dipped a few points, and significantly, haven't gone back up. The foreign trip significantly hasn't made his ratings go back up.
I think that the last few weeks has permanently damaged his brand for a few people: rather than being a deal maker and wheeler-dealer, he is seen more as someone without self-discipline or the way to interact with others.

Things mattering isn't all or nothing. We have seen a lot of things happen already: a drop in approval, criticism from office holders (even muted), and a willingness to block or delay legislation. As well as to hold up appointments: remember that there was enough opposition to force I think three or four cabinet secretaries to withdraw.

What's funny is if you deduct obama's approval same time from 100 you're left with trump approval.

Gee i wonder

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

haveblue posted:

May has already delivered the article 50 notification, so by the law as written Brexit is assured. If the will of the UK and the EU were united against it they could probably find a loophole or means of delaying it indefinitely though.

That is not true at all.

https://www.bindmans.com/uploads/files/documents/Final_Article_50_Opinion_10.2.17.pdf

edit: vvv from reputable sources? That would be a major development, link please vvv

botany fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 2, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I'm seeing some articles reporting that Conway is saying Trump is considering using executive privilege to block Comey's testimony. :munch:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Crows Turn Off posted:

No, if Ossoff loses, that is bad for democrats. This district is the exact kind of district they need if they plan to retake the House, traditionally red, but with changing demographics that was already luke-warm on Trump. Its the most expensive House race in US history, the democrats need to win this.

code:
2000 	President 	George W. Bush 68% - Al Gore 32%
2004 	President 	George W. Bush 70% - John Kerry 29%
2008 	President 	John McCain 62% - Barack Obama 37%
2012 	President 	Mitt Romney 61% - Barack Obama 38%
2016 	President 	Donald Trump 48% - Hillary Clinton 47%
This district HATES Trump, and if the dems cant capitalize on that, then they are hopeless (or atleast extremely likely to get hosed in 2018)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The Glumslinger posted:

No, if Ossoff loses, that is bad for democrats. This district is the exact kind of district they need if they plan to retake the House, traditionally red, but with changing demographics that was already luke-warm on Trump. Its the most expensive House race in US history, the democrats need to win this.

code:
This district HATES Trump, and if the dems cant capitalize on that, then they are hopeless (or atleast extremely likely to get hosed in 2018)

I have no faith in the democrats to not gently caress it up somehow. It's already looking like he will lose, which is the death knell.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I dunno, it seems like they love every Republican who isn't Trump.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Pollyanna posted:

I have no faith in the democrats to not gently caress it up somehow. It's already looking like he will lose, which is the death knell.

He has a lead the majority of recent polls, its going to be a very close race

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Crows Turn Off posted:

People keep saying this for some silly reason.

No. The answer is no. This isn't Kansas or Montana, if a wave is forming, ossof wins. If he literally loses by one single vote, it's bad for dems.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
How so? As far as I can tell, Ossof is leading in like 90% of the polls.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

botany posted:

That is not true at all.

https://www.bindmans.com/uploads/files/documents/Final_Article_50_Opinion_10.2.17.pdf

edit: vvv from reputable sources? That would be a major development, link please vvv

https://mobile.twitter.com/Reuters/status/870653463583215616

However, I would not trust anything that comes out of Conway's mouth. On the other hand, Trump is not a smart man, so he'll probably at least try.

aware of dog fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 2, 2017

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Timby posted:

I'm seeing some articles reporting that Conway is saying Trump is considering using executive privilege to block Comey's testimony. :munch:

This seems like the very core distillation of "obstruction of justice."

Go for it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

aware of dog posted:

However, I would not trust anything that comes out of Conway's mouth.

They can't. He's a private citizen now.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Why wouldn't Trump do it? He won't lose any support and he's beset by scandal on all sides. Even the most minuscule legal pretext is enough for him to do it. If he could declare himself President for life he wouldn't hesitate.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Nixon tried to assert executive privilege. That did not work out well. Trump's totally going to do it because this is incompetent Watergate.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

aware of dog posted:

However, I would not trust anything that comes out of Conway's mouth.

"What can I do today to make my administration look even more totally corrupt. Wait, I know!"

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Timby posted:

comedy option: record testimony and send it to wikileaks

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

The Glumslinger posted:

code:

He's also pretty charming and running on fiscal watchdog bona fide against a weak, pro-Trump candidate people will have to hold their nose for. If he loses it's bad signs all around and will signal to Democrats they need a radical shift in strategy and focus that they will promptly ignore.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I believe Corbyn wants Brexit because he thinks EU policies damage worker's rights. Seems like the question now is whether Brexit is going to be "soft" where they have withdrawn from the EU but still have good relations and can actually negotiate or if the Eurosceptics yelling "gently caress Erop! Immigrants are bad!!!!!!!" are going to have their tantrum enshrined and destroy the UK's economy on the way out from spite.

I could be wrong though probably better to ask in the UK thread.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Timby posted:

At what point do you get actual riots?

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Pollyanna posted:

We need another financial collapse for Democrats to get voted for at any decent clip. People just want to double down on conservatism. Things aren't trickling down because the Democrats won't let it, drat it!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Smol posted:

How so? As far as I can tell, Ossof is leading in like 90% of the polls.

I can't blame people in this thread for assuming he's going to lose. We're in that Louis CK mode of "why would anything good ever happen?" right now. If there's a shred of a chance that Ossoff could lose, if he's not ahead by double digits in every poll, it's really tempting to assume the absolute worst.

(It's why I try not to post much in this thread, because in my head I'm a Covok-level catastrophizer, but I also know that isn't productive so I keep it to myself)

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Actually, all the polling has the race either tied or with Ossoff slightly ahead. There's that big-rear end SurveyUSA outlier that puts him up 7, but I don't think it'll be that big. I think he wins by 2-3 points.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
About the only thing Trump can do to turn congressional republicans against him is to try to usurp the power of the Congress itself, because that's their own power and prestige at stake.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Star Man posted:

If David Cameron can gently caress a dead pig, then Michael Flynn can gently caress a dead turkey.

I also really don't want to know what dead animal Donald Trump has hosed.

He's still loving it.

Wait, you don't think that's his hair do you?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Helen Highwater posted:

He's still loving it.

Wait, you don't think that's his hair do you?

I don't care if whatever he's loving is something that he skinned and had grafted to his head. I don't want to even know what it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

enraged_camel posted:

The only reason he called her directly is because he wants to gently caress her.

When the president grabs a pussy, it is not a crime.

• Locked thread