Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's not the best animation, but the second season was pretty drat good. It captures the soul crushing part of reality better than other animated sitcoms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008

precision posted:

Christine is on Netflix now, it's a pretty good Based On a True Story film with a decent cast. It's about a reporter in the dawn of the television news age.

A murderer car is a reporter?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Unmature posted:

A murderer car is a reporter?

I'm sure you're joking, but I mentioned it a bit back it's about Christine Chubbuck.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christine_Chubbuck

She killed herselfon live tv.

Though a murder car chasin' down the hot scoops...

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hey guys? Creed is good. It's really, really good. I was in tears. Ryan Coogler, Michael B. Jordan and Tessa Thompson are going places. And Stallone's clearly been there.

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014

Sir Kodiak posted:

It's bad. Completely toothless, which guts it as a satire. And it's a real bore overall.

Sad to hear. In the past It was never bad to chose a movie with brad pit...

Thank you for your post, but I think I try It. The comercial for the move makes me greedy to try It :p

But you are right If Its going more real ..
.ok I think I need a break with Mr. Robot ggg and take a look 😵

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Netflix is wrong, I actually like Lucha Underground a lot. At least in part because it harkens back to the WWF in the 80s when everybody had a ridiculous in-ring persona. The WCW vs WWF era was great but I quickly lost interest after WCW folded, and all that was left was a WWE inhabited by assembly line Mr. Badass McBadass clones. The fast Lucha Libre style is way more fun than just watching a couple of 280 pound guys slowly beat at each other too.

I'm only up to about episode 20 so far. It took me about 3 episode of hearing Cages intro music to realize that he was saying "I'm a machine" and not "I'm gonna shiiiiiiit!"

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The best part of watching Lucha Underground on Netflix is being able to turn on Spanish Commentary with subtitles so you never, ever have to hear Matt Striker talk.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Mr. Maltose posted:

The best part of watching Lucha Underground on Netflix is being able to turn on Spanish Commentary with subtitles so you never, ever have to hear Matt Striker talk.

:vince:

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

McSpanky posted:

Hey guys? Creed is good. It's really, really good. I was in tears. Ryan Coogler, Michael B. Jordan and Tessa Thompson are going places. And Stallone's clearly been there.

I thought the movie was fine, but my jaw dropped during the single take scene during his first professional fight in the middle of the movie. That's one of the most well crafted pieces of cinema I've ever seen, and I thought the final fight couldn't compare to it!

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
For me the best moment in Creed is when the fighters enter the arena for the final fight. I was like, drat, this is this guy's second film?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Human Tornada posted:

For me the best moment in Creed is when the fighters enter the arena for the final fight. I was like, drat, this is this guy's second film?

drat that shot too after creed walks out to Tupac, and in the same shot the camera goes to the stage and we get a full on wrestling entrance. That was so cool.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Like the fact that creed isn't seen as a modern classic is actually a shame to me. It's so rare these days to actually be able to see that there is an actual film maker behind the camera and not studio executives. Like you could feel the passion. Not to mention the music is great.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
I think CREED will get there, if not that, then it's pretty much a lock to be a cult classic at the very least. It's just too good of a movie to not get recognized down the road.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I have no idea why it turned out like it did, but bringing back the series with Balboa and Creed ended up being phenomenal. They're both really well-made movies that are anything but the cash in you would expect.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

My only slam on Creed was when Adonis moved into Rocky's house and into Pauly's old room, there was no cameo of Pauly's robot (like old and cobwebbed in the closet or something).

Also, that sign for 'bullshit' is not the actual ASL sign for BULLSHIT. But I digress.

It was a great loving movie. I also liked the stylistic bits they did with contenders, giving that little freeze frame with their name/nickname/stats

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I have no idea why it turned out like it did, but bringing back the series with Balboa and Creed ended up being phenomenal. They're both really well-made movies that are anything but the cash in you would expect.

I think one of the greatest things about Creed is that even though Rocky is in it far, far more than you'd expect, it never once feels like the spotlight is on him -- it's Donnie's story through and through, and that sense never wavers.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Yeah everything with Rocky feels so organic to what's happening, but shows exactly how Donny is as a human. Creed is so good.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Timby posted:

I think one of the greatest things about Creed is that even though Rocky is in it far, far more than you'd expect, it never once feels like the spotlight is on him -- it's Donnie's story through and through, and that sense never wavers.

Yeah, Rocky's story kind of ended in Balboa, and his role in the movie is perfect for the kind of person he ended that movie as, but at no point is it a movie about rocky. It makes it both a continuation and something totally new at the same time. That's hard to pull off.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Rocky is Stallone's most personal project, its the one he carried around for years and refused to sell unless someone would let him star in it. It turned him into a near homeless guy to a Hollywood superstar. It's not surprising that he would return to the role years later and be very serious about doing it justice.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Basebf555 posted:

Rocky is Stallone's most personal project, its the one he carried around for years and refused to sell unless someone would let him star in it. It turned him into a near homeless guy to a Hollywood superstar. It's not surprising that he would return to the role years later and be very serious about doing it justice.
Still, Rocky Balboa is so much incredibly better than III, IV, and V that I completely was not expecting it after a sixteen-year break from the series. I haven't seen Creed yet -- I was planning on it this weekend, actually -- but it looks like a sequel is due out this year too?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mr. Maltose posted:

Nah, he's fun on LU. He and Vampiro make a good team.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
As fun as sexism and claiming hitler had some good ideas can be, I suppose.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

tetrapyloctomy posted:

but it looks like a sequel is due out this year too?

I'm pretty sure that was just Stallone and MGM spitballing last year. If it were coming out this year it would have begun filming ages ago, and both Coogler and Jordan have been busy with Black Panther. No official announcements, no SAG casting calls, etc.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mr. Maltose posted:

As fun as sexism and claiming hitler had some good ideas can be, I suppose.

... :stonk:

okay something happened while I wasn't paying attention to wrestling poo poo, and I need deets. the worst I ever saw him do was make video game references

Unmature
May 9, 2008
The whole time during Creed I was waiting for the Rocky theme and they played it at exactly the right place for the exactly right amount of time.

That movie is so goddamn good.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Timby posted:

I'm pretty sure that was just Stallone and MGM spitballing last year. If it were coming out this year it would have begun filming ages ago, and both Coogler and Jordan have been busy with Black Panther. No official announcements, no SAG casting calls, etc.

I am half an hour in and I want a cheesesteak so bad it's not even loving funny. (But Dalessandro's is the way to go.)

It's funny -- Kensington is on its way up, and it's not going to be too long before it's all gentrified. Creed will be like a time capsule.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I had been putting off watching Creed for no good reason. Got stoned as hell and watched it in my friend's home theater system this morning. God drat. What a movie.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
If you can watch Balboa or Creed without, uh, getting something in your eye, something is probably wrong with you.

E: Apparently, the more negative reviews of Rocky when it came out focused on how unrealistic it was, which is hilarious, considering it was based on an actual fight that Stallone spent his last hundred bucks to watch on CCTV.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 3, 2017

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's unrealistic in the sense that the fight would likely have ended in the second or third round because nobody takes that many punches to the face and lives, and actual boxing is more defensive and so on, but actual boxing isn't quite as fun to watch. Movie boxing is allowed to cut out the slower bits.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's unrealistic in the sense that the fight would likely have ended in the second or third round because nobody takes that many punches to the face and lives, and actual boxing is more defensive and so on, but actual boxing isn't quite as fun to watch. Movie boxing is allowed to cut out the slower bits.

Wepner vs Ali begs to disagree. It was the fight that inspired the movie. I mean, yeah, he sucked at keeping his hands up, and didn't get tenderized quite as bad as it was in the movie, but Wepner got the poo poo kicked out of him on the reg and kept going, and was the first person to put Ali on the canvas (mostly accidentally).

Wepner was kind of a weird case. I boxed for ten years, and was an infighter like Rocky, but I would not have eaten that many shots to the face and kept going. It was pretty good about him doing shots to the body and whatnot. Even if the actual fighting wasn't realistic, it kept the feel of being on the losing end intact for people who haven't been there.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I was too hasty dissing the new season of F is for Family. I mean, the animation is still horrible, but it's still also a really great show with the right mix of totally obscene funny and brutalizingly depressing.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I'm not a deadhead in the slightest but Long Strange Trip is a really fascinating documentary. It doesn't fall into the usual traps. It doesn't try to cover everything and it jumps around in its approach but it covers how this thing became important to so many people and the cost that had to be paid.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Unmature posted:

The whole time during Creed I was waiting for the Rocky theme and they played it at exactly the right place for the exactly right amount of time.

That movie is so goddamn good.

Hearing those cues kick in just right for the first time was like watching a masterpiece being painted right before my eyes. The whole score is true artistry.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

McSpanky posted:

Hearing those cues kick in just right for the first time was like watching a masterpiece being painted right before my eyes. The whole score is true artistry.

Oh, man, those little hints when Donnie's training and when he goes on his date with Bianca ... so perfect.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Maxwell Lord posted:

https://youtu.be/VwMHCEU_FIY
When's the Don frye movie?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

McSpanky posted:

When that happened the audience I saw it with started cheering. Just perfect timing.

Creed is probably the best current example of doing a "franchise reboot" thing where you have old characters and new characters and are passing the torch.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
Creed is so well assembled that people I watched it with who normally don't care or notice things like editing all commented on the technical aspects of it afterwards.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Call Me Charlie posted:

I'm not a deadhead in the slightest but Long Strange Trip is a really fascinating documentary. It doesn't fall into the usual traps. It doesn't try to cover everything and it jumps around in its approach but it covers how this thing became important to so many people and the cost that had to be paid.

Just finished the second episode, and it is really well made. I was a deadhead going in though, so my opinion is probably suspect.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Future Shock: The Story of 2000 A.D. is on Amazon Prime. It's decently interesting if you're into that, lots of interviews with people like Grant Morrison, Neil Gaiman, and those fellas.

I was going to post this in the Dredd thread in BSS, but it seems to have slipped into the archives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Still, Rocky Balboa is so much incredibly better than III, IV, and V that I completely was not expecting it after a sixteen-year break from the series. I haven't seen Creed yet -- I was planning on it this weekend, actually -- but it looks like a sequel is due out this year too?
Drop everything and watch Creed immediately. It will renew your faith in movies being something good and worthwhile about humanity