Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

What does the donkey do? :stare:

at least where I am, some prey animals will gently caress up goats. Kalli says that the goats will encircle a wild dog or whatever and the boss goat will come out and like achieve its final form while the rest keep anything from leaving.

I have never seen this and I've seen some country poo poo in my life.

As I understand it, if a wolf comes the goats will just like let themselves get eaten because they're not very smart. But a donkey or mule will straight up murder a wolf or a coyote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8oO-GypOLA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

A donkey will just join any herd of animals it sits with and will try to kick other animals that threaten or approach it.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

gently caress 'em up. They're very territorial.

e: having a guard donkey is a pretty common thing for people with land/critters in some parts

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

FizFashizzle posted:

at least where I am, some prey animals will gently caress up goats. Kalli says that the goats will encircle a wild dog or whatever and the boss goat will come out and like achieve its final form while the rest keep anything from leaving.

I have never seen this and I've seen some country poo poo in my life.

As I understand it, if a wolf comes the goats will just like let themselves get eaten because they're not very smart. But a donkey or mule will straight up murder a wolf or a coyote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8oO-GypOLA

This is coolest random husbandry knowledge.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, Mules, Llamas, Alpaca and Ostriches are all used as guard animals by farms because they'll corner then stomp foxes and coyotes to death.

As Fiz said, goats will go after dogs that gently caress with them, and can protect themselves very well if it comes down to it, but they won't protect like your chickens from getting snatched, like the above will. Like, a goat died from a wild pit bull in the area recently... It beat the pit bull to death, but died of the infection because the owner didn't treat it... three weeks later. Against wild dogs, they'll do as Fiz said, they'll encircle it, then send in a champion for fight club.

That's usually not a problem for goatscaping (though you should warn your neighbors) since you setup a small electric fence (pretty much the same power as those invisible electric fences for dogs) to keep them in and other animals out

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
A guard ostrich would be terrifying.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I just love thinking of a stray dog getting excited for some goat meat then getting attacked by an ostrich.

Also PSA since I'm the coming society breakdown you might have to produce your own eggs: do not let a dog near chickens.

If a dog gets the taste of blood from a chicken they have to be put down. Just turns them feral in seconds. They won't be able to stop themselves.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
What do you do about the wild pigs though?

Texans are getting really into the anti feral pig campaign and for good reason.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

So what this thread is telling me is to divest retail, invest agriculture? Is there a donkey specific stock I can look at?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

incoherent posted:

So what this thread is telling me is to divest retail, invest agriculture? Is there a donkey specific stock I can look at?

tech is where all the jackasses put their money.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Lote posted:

What do you do about the wild pigs though?

Texans are getting really into the anti feral pig campaign and for good reason.

You shoot them. Hogs aren't afraid of you or any other animal and they don't let silly things like fences stand in their way.

FizFashizzle posted:

tech is where all the jackasses put their money.

nice

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Boywhiz88 posted:

I just argued that some of us in Geek Squad legitimately care about the people that we serve. Hubert just got the rest of the company in line with that vision. I've eased up over the years, and do my best not to talk about BBY or GS on SA. Good to know that GBS thread is burned into people's brains.

EDIT: it's been touched upon in here but Joly gave us a great vision. He understood that the salespeople are the backbone, and if they're happy and trained then they can do good work. Geek Squad has benefitted from providing a comprehensive online support experience, it's constantly changing and it's so much better than when I started in this position back in '12.

You're still the shilliest shill who ever shilled on the internet.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

WrenP-Complete posted:

Fascinating. I had the impression that kudzu grew more if you ripped it up but I'm not sure if it's the plant I'm thinking of.

It won't grow faster, but it will come back if you don't remove and destroy the root crown, which is usually just under the surface. Goats also work since they'll actually eat the stuff faster than its 1 foot per day growth rate, but you'll probably have to use them multiple times since you are basically starving the root system to death by that method.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

paragon1 posted:

It won't grow faster, but it will come back if you don't remove and destroy the root crown, which is usually just under the surface. Goats also work since they'll actually eat the stuff faster than its 1 foot per day growth rate, but you'll probably have to use them multiple times since you are basically starving the root system to death by that method.

What the gently caress. It's not that I don't believe you, just gently caress. Living here in the earthquake wildfire desert suddenly doesn't seem too bad.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

What the gently caress. It's not that I don't believe you, just gently caress. Living here in the earthquake wildfire desert suddenly doesn't seem too bad.

Kudzu is Exhibit A of the case for why you do not gently caress around with invasive species. Someone brings in some foreign plant as cheap land cover, and then before you know it people are lighting their entire farms on fire to get rid of the death-vine.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ratoslov posted:

Kudzu is Exhibit A of the case for why you do not gently caress around with invasive species. Someone brings in some foreign plant as cheap land cover, and then before you know it people are lighting their entire farms on fire to get rid of the death-vine.

Does anything eat kudzu in its natural habitat?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

The best thing that controls it is temperature/humidity. Frost kills the vines quickly, and if the soil temperature drops below a certain level, the root dies. If the soil isn't humid enough, it dies.

So, kudzu devours the entirety of the South and leaves the rest of the country relatively untouched because heat/high humidity is the perfect environment.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I almost feel bad for interrupting this detail, but Wal-Mart is trying to "disrupt" their own package delivery by having their employees sign up to drop stuff off on their way home.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kudzu bugs, but they fart, smell like hell, and eat everything else.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

DC Murderverse posted:

I almost feel bad for interrupting this detail, but Wal-Mart is trying to "disrupt" their own package delivery by having their employees sign up to drop stuff off on their way home.

This is Wal-Mart As gently caress.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

That would be fine honestly as long as it was elective and you got paid for it. Efficient use of fuel and existing infrastructure.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Vicious wallpaper red title.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

OwlFancier posted:

That would be fine honestly as long as it was elective and you got paid for it. Efficient use of fuel and existing infrastructure.

Article says that Wal-Mart will pay for the delivery, including OT if necessary. Of course it's "voluntary", but I'm sure it will be not seen as voluntary by store managers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bird in a Blender posted:

Article says that Wal-Mart will pay for the delivery, including OT if necessary. Of course it's "voluntary", but I'm sure it will be not seen as voluntary by store managers.

Yeah I'm skeptical as to how reliably paid it will be or how voluntary it will be also. The idea isn't bad but the execution likely will be.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
I liked that they toyed with the idea of letting customers deliver packages for discounts on their purchases. What could go wrong there? When a package doesn't get delivered who are they going to side with?

Also, gonna look into how much start up costs on a Goatscaping company would be, sounds awesome!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Bird in a Blender posted:

Walmart won't pay overtime. They used to before the Great Recession but afterwards they cut hours to the bone and would seriously fire people for being a few minutes over their scheduled hours. Overtime was absolutely verboten.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The real question is insurance. Using your personal car for commercial reasons can invalidate your insurance if you try to make a claim, so if a delivery worker gets in an accident, who pays? It doesn't sound like Walmart is paying mileage either. And delivering packages can be dangerous work - if someone gets hurt on a delivery is Walmart going to pay workers' comp? Because I bet they'll weasel out of it.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

The real question is insurance. Using your personal car for commercial reasons can invalidate your insurance if you try to make a claim, so if a delivery worker gets in an accident, who pays? It doesn't sound like Walmart is paying mileage either. And delivering packages can be dangerous work - if someone gets hurt on a delivery is Walmart going to pay workers' comp? Because I bet they'll weasel out of it.

What do they do with pizza delivery people? Seems like the same model could be adapted here.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

axeil posted:

What do they do with pizza delivery people? Seems like the same model could be adapted here.

Chains sometimes provide insurance, but most delivery drivers are SOL and lose their insurance if they get into an accident on the job. This kind of thing is a public health and safety issue that employers should be punished for not doing their civic duty, but: Capitalism.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Five gets you ten the delivery counts as contract work.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
You see the same thing in ride sharing land.

Would be nice if insurance companies weren't the complete bain to our existence they are.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BlueBlazer posted:

You see the same thing in ride sharing land.

Would be nice if insurance companies weren't the complete bain to our existence they are.

If you do something on the job it's the employer's problem.

I don't see how this one is on your insurance companies.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

Because :911: companies find ways to weasel out of it.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

hobbesmaster posted:

Because you didn't tell your insurance company you were doing commercial activities under your personal auto coverage, which invalidates it.

And scummy companies love to pull bullshit like "well TECHNICALLY you only work for us when the package is in your hands. Driving between points A and B you're technically off the clock."

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Existing delivery services also have a pretty solid claims system, backed by thorough tracking and documentation. How does Walmart plan on handling that aspect, I wonder.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ReidRansom posted:

Existing delivery services also have a pretty solid claims system, backed by thorough tracking and documentation. How does Walmart plan on handling that aspect, I wonder.

The UK arm of it handles inter-store transfer by signing off consignments to someone before they take it out of the store and signing them back in when they arrive at the other end and you check the manifest.

If it goes missing in the interim, the handler is in the poo poo.

If I was doing it for home shopping via staff courier, I would suggest signing it out on dispatch, and ask the customer to check it before they sign for it. Supply a portable terminal to do signatures.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Jack B Nimble posted:

Five gets you ten the delivery counts as contract work.

i bet they'll pay per piece, $1 per parcel or something like that. That way they can weasel out of all sorts of stuff.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Because :911: companies find ways to weasel out of it.

Because they aren't covering it.

They are covering your car for personal use. If you talk to an agent they'll be more than happy to sell you a commercial policy or rider.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Xae posted:

Because they aren't covering it.

They are covering your car for personal use. If you talk to an agent they'll be more than happy to sell you a commercial policy or rider.

Not all companies offer commercial insurance though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

If I was doing it for home shopping via staff courier, I would suggest signing it out on dispatch, and ask the customer to check it before they sign for it. Supply a portable terminal to do signatures.

I don't see them providing portable terminals to the employees doing deliveries on their way home, though. I suppose you could ask they use some sort of app on their phones, provided they have one that is capable of such a thing and should that app be developed, but in that case would they be subsidizing those employees' phone bills? And of course what if the customer isn't home to sign for the package? You can't expect they'll always be there. It just sounds like something that isn't very well thought through. There are a whole mess of issues there that postal services and other parcel delivery services have been through and sorted out and honed, and the only way Walmart is going to be able to do it themselves at a lower cost id probably by cutting those corners and ignoring the regulations and responsibilities that those industries deal with.