Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
If Trump finds out he can use executive privilege to stop Comey testifying, he will absolutely try it. It'll piss off Congress something fierce, but I fully expect John McCain to just be "deeply disturbed" or "very troubled" or whatever the hell he is these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Alter Ego posted:

Actually, all the polling has the race either tied or with Ossoff slightly ahead. There's that big-rear end SurveyUSA outlier that puts him up 7, but I don't think it'll be that big. I think he wins by 2-3 points.

We've heard this story before.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alter Ego posted:

If Trump finds out he can use executive privilege to stop Comey testifying, he will absolutely try it. It'll piss off Congress something fierce, but I fully expect John McCain to just be "deeply disturbed" or "very troubled" or whatever the hell he is these days.

"John McCain spends every single moment of his life thinking about the fact that Donald Trump is more electable than he is."

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Can Trump use executive privilege if Comey is technically testifying as a citizen?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

LaserShark posted:

"What can I do today to make my administration look even more totally corrupt. Wait, I know!"

I dunno, how much time do you have?

quote:

White House orders agencies to ignore Democrats’ oversight requests

The White House is telling federal agencies to blow off Democratic lawmakers' oversight requests, as Republicans fear the information could be weaponized against President Donald Trump.

At meetings with top officials for various government departments this spring, Uttam Dhillon, a White House lawyer, told agencies not to cooperate with such requests from Democrats, according to Republican sources inside and outside the administration.

It appears to be a formalization of a practice that had already taken hold, as Democrats have complained that their oversight letters requesting information from agencies have gone unanswered since January, and the Trump administration has not yet explained the rationale.

The declaration amounts to a new level of partisanship in Washington, where the president and his administration already feels besieged by media reports and attacks from Democrats. The idea, Republicans said, is to choke off the Democratic congressional minorities from gaining new information that could be used to attack the president.

"You have Republicans leading the House, the Senate and the White House," a White House official said. "I don't think you'd have the Democrats responding to every minority member request if they were in the same position."

A White House spokeswoman said the policy of the administration is “to accommodate the requests of chairmen, regardless of their political party.” There are no Democratic chairmen, as Congress is controlled by Republicans.

The administration also responds to “all non-oversight inquiries, including the Senate’s inquiries for purposes of providing advice and consent on nominees, without regard to the political party of the requester,” the spokeswoman said. “ Multiple agencies have, in fact, responded to minority member requests. No agencies have been directed not to respond to minority requests.”

Republicans said that President Barack Obama’s administration was not always quick to respond to them and sometimes ignored them. However, the Obama White House never ordered agencies to stop cooperating with Republican oversight requests altogether, making the marching orders from Trump’s aides that much more unusual.

“What I do not remember is a blanket request from the Obama administration not to respond to Republicans,”
said a former longtime senior Republican staffer.

There are some exceptions to the Trump administration order, particularly from national security agencies, Democrats and Republicans said. Agencies will also comply if a Republican committee chairman joins the Democratic requests, but ranking members’ oversight requests are spurned.

Congressional minorities frequently ask questions of the administration intended to embarrass the president or garner a quick headline. And Democrats have fired off requests they surely knew the administration would not answer, such as asking the White House in March to make visitor logs of Trump Tower and Mar-A-Lago publicly available.

But House and Senate lawmakers also routinely fire off much more obscure requests not intended to generate news coverage. And the Trump administration’s plans to stonewall Democrats is in many ways unprecedented and could lead to a worsening of the gridlock in Washington.

Austin Evers, a former Obama administration lawyer in the State Department who runs a watchdog group called American Oversight, said the Trump administration has instituted a “dramatic change” in policy from Reagan-era congressional standards in which the government provided more information to committee chairman but also consistently engaged in oversight with rank-and-file minority members.

“Instructing agencies not to communicate with members of the minority party will poison the well. It will damage relationships between career staffers at agencies and subject matter experts in Congress,” Evers said. “One of the reasons you respond to letters from the minority party is to explain yourself. It is to put on the record that even accusations that you find unreasonable are not accurate.”

One month ago, Rep. Kathleen Rice (D-N.Y.) and other Democrats sent a letter to the Office of Personnel Management asking for cybersecurity information after it was revealed that millions of people had their identities compromised. The letterasked questions about how cybersecurity officials were hired, and in Rice’s view, it “was not a political letter at all.”

"The answer we got back is, ‘We only speak to the chair people of committees.’ We said, ‘That's absurd, what are you talking about?’” Rice said in an interview. “I was dumbfounded at their response. I had never gotten anything like that … The administration has installed loyalists at every agency to keep tabs on what information people can get.”

At a House Appropriations hearing in May, Rep. Matt Cartwright (D-Pa.) asked acting General Services Administrator Tim Horne about a briefing House Oversight Committee staffers had received from the GSA, in which they were informed that the “GSA has a new policy only to respond to Republican committee chairmen.”

“The administration has instituted a new policy that matters of oversight need to be requested by the committee chair,” Horne responded.

In February, Sen. Patty Murray (D-Wash.), and Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) asked for information on changes to healthcare.gov from the Health and Human Services Department. They’re still waiting for an answer. In early May, Murray and six other senators asked the president about why Vivek Murthy was dismissed as surgeon general. There was no response, and her staff said those are just a couple of the requests that have gone unanswered.

“It’s no surprise that they would try to prevent Congress from getting the information we need to make sure government is working for the people we represent,” Murray said when asked about the lack of cooperation.

The Senate’s Homeland Security and Government Accountability Committee, the primary investigator in that chamber, has received some responses from the Trump administration but has seen several letters only signed by Democrats ignored. Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.) wrote Education Secretary Betsy DeVos asking for help addressing the challenges of rural schools and joined with Sen. Tom Carper (D-Del.) to question the security of Trump’s use of a personal cell phone as president. Neither was answered, an aide said.

A senior Democratic aide said that of the Senate Democrats’ 225 oversight letters sent to the Trump administration since January asking for information, the vast majority have received no response.

“When it comes to almost anything we’ve done at a federal agency, very close to 100 percent of those we haven’t heard anything back. And at the White House it’s definitely 100 percent,” said a second senior Democratic aide. “This is rampant all over committee land.”

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
^^^Then you Andy Dufresne the poo poo out of them and KEEP SENDING THEM.

Spiritus Nox posted:

We've heard this story before.

Karen Handel isn't Trump, Jon Ossoff isn't Hillary Clinton, and this is one district in Georgia, not a voting population of 300 million. Seriously?

Are you so "lol nothing matters, kill everyone and burn it all down" that you can't see the situations are different?

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 2, 2017

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Alter Ego posted:

Someone needs to send McCain and thesaurus with all of the synonyms for troubling or disturbed easily marked. Just so he has something else to use in his comments.

I would also like to see a YouTube compilation of all of the times a GOP never has said those two words in response to something Trump did.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
So I guess we've all decided that everything is hopeless and we should all just lay down and die if Ossoff narrowly loses the election? Good to know we're keeping things in perspective.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Alter Ego posted:

Karen Handel isn't Trump, Jon Ossoff isn't Hillary Clinton, and this is one district in Georgia, not a voting population of 300 million. Seriously?

General distrust of polling is pretty understandable at this point though.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Alter Ego posted:

Yeah, seriously. I'm under the impression Ossof's aggregate lead is at about 1 percent, well within the margin of error in a conservative state during a period in which conservatives tend to outperform their polling numbers on election day. There's no real reason to feel particularly optimistic about that.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Party Plane Jones posted:

This seems real bad.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

sean10mm posted:

General distrust of polling is pretty understandable at this point though.

So far, the special election polling has more or less lined up with the final results. There wasn't ever a poll that put Rob Quist ahead, nor was there ever one that put Thompson ahead in Kansas.

Ossoff, however, has run even or ahead of Handel in every poll.

I'm not going to stop trusting science because of a single black swan event.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

TRUMP did badly in GA-06. PRICE won it by over 20 points in the same election. It's a heavily, heavily GOP district that doesn't like Trump. If Ossof loses it's not "Democrats hosed forever, can't win anywhere might as well give up." It's a winable race, unlike Montana or Kansas, but it's a losable race even if Dems are moving upwards. If a district that was R+20 at the house level moves to R+1, that's still enormous. Even better if it moves to D+2.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

I know Nicaragua refused to sign because they wanted the Paris Agreement to go further, but they should really just sign on now to further underline the stupidity of Trump. Leave us to stand with Syria.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

DaveWoo posted:

So I guess we've all decided that everything is hopeless and we should all just lay down and die if Ossoff narrowly loses the election? Good to know we're keeping things in perspective.

Nah, I'll join you in very happily reminding people at the internment camps that Ossoff only lost by 2% and the average margin of loss for the Dems in 2018 was 1.5%, so we're on track to take over any day now once they start elections up again.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

Party Plane Jones posted:

...motherfuckers.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah, seriously. I'm under the impression Ossof's aggregate lead is at about 1 percent, well within the margin of error in a conservative state during a period in which conservatives tend to outperform their polling numbers on election day. There's no real reason to feel particularly optimistic about that.

Seems to me it's Democrats outperforming their usual numbers by staggering margins so far. The specials that have been held so far are in blood-red areas that haven't elected a Democrat since the Civil War, so they were long shots at best, but Ossoff is absolutely running the right type of campaign down there. He's a young, fresh face going up against a human bowl of plain oatmeal, and the DNC is throwing tons of money and resources at him.

I don't think it's a certainty, but I'd say we have better than a 50/50 chance, given the fact that the district hates Trump.

People forget that it didn't happen for the Tea Party all at once either. They lost a lot of their early engagements, and if they'd done what you people are doing now--throw up their hands and give up because "lol everything sucks"--we probably wouldn't need a Democratic wave in 2018.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 2, 2017

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

BRISTOL PALINS BABY posted:

I know Nicaragua refused to sign because they wanted the Paris Agreement to go further, but they should really just sign on now to further underline the stupidity of Trump. Leave us to stand with Syria.

I want NK to publicly shame America for this. I really, really do.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Hellblazer187 posted:

TRUMP did badly in GA-06. PRICE won it by over 20 points in the same election. It's a heavily, heavily GOP district that doesn't like Trump. If Ossof loses it's not "Democrats hosed forever, can't win anywhere might as well give up." It's a winable race, unlike Montana or Kansas, but it's a losable race even if Dems are moving upwards. If a district that was R+20 at the house level moves to R+1, that's still enormous. Even better if it moves to D+2.

We aren't hoping that the Dems barely win the house. We're optimistically hoping that the GOP is crushed in 2018 in a huge wave. In that timeline, Ossof wins with a decent little margin to spare.

If Ossof loses, we have to confront the reality that we aren't likely seeing a wave.

edit: regarding Price, you are ignoring the advantage of incumbency. Being the incumbent for over a decade can easily be worth another 10 to 15 points, this is an open election.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

LaserShark posted:

I want NK to publicly shame America for this. I really, really do.

While you and I would see the delicious irony in that, I think that would do more damage to most of America's view on it. I think it's best if they keep quiet and let the adults like China and the EU do most of the shaming.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What would Trump blocking Comey's testimony do?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Nah, let NK overstate how green they'll be. Let them boast. Then people will assume they're doing something more than nothing, which is what Trump wants.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Grouchio posted:

Possibly cause some Republicans to turn on him; because it'd be the most obvious sign yet that he'd done something bad.

I know, nothing matters, but I think this would...a great deal.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Grouchio posted:

really harsh my afternoon vibes

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Grouchio posted:

Honestly, not much, since we have a special counsel the house and senate investigations don't matter as much as they did before Mueller was appointed. We went from "oh God I hope congress does something, please matter" to "lol, who cares about congress, Trump is turbofucked now" with that appointment.

We'd be denied possible amusement and several popcorn moments, but the fact that Mueller is going to be investigating Trump with a staff and budget represents the biggest existential threat to Trump, everything else pales in comparison.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
What exactly is the mechanism Trump would use to "block" testimony on EP grounds? Arrest? Lawsuit? Lean on the committee chair?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Were you feeling too happy today?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/local/2017/06/02/generations-disabled/?utm_term=.3042a7306caf&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1

There's nothing to quote. Read it all.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Rigel posted:

We aren't hoping that the Dems barely win the house. We're optimistically hoping that the GOP is crushed in 2018 in a huge wave. In that timeline, Ossof wins with a decent little margin to spare.

If Ossof loses, we have to confront the reality that we aren't likely seeing a wave.

edit: regarding Price, you are ignoring the advantage of incumbency. Being the incumbent for over a decade can easily be worth another 10 to 15 points, this is an open election.

How many house seats had a smaller margin than 20 points in 2016? If the aggregate gain for Dems is 19 points, that's an insane wave, but also not enough to carry Ossof. Wave isn't binary - there are degrees and 19pt wave would be almost unprecidented in modern times. A narrow Ossof loss would still be an indication of House takeover.

Also remember that these things take time. That the GOP isn't dead at 5 months doesn't mean the GOP won't be severely wounded at 24, when it really counts. The reverse is also true - Ossof could win by ten, and we might still see the GOP keep the House.

Way, way too much stock being put into one race.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Comey provides the best TV, though. I'd surmise that his testimony will be roughly analogous to John Dean's during Watergate--although maybe he won't read a 4-hour statement.

I really hope he has meticulous notes from all his encounters with Trump. I hope all those stories were true.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Read it earlier today. Pure, uncut moral panic about the poor.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Hellblazer187 posted:

How many house seats had a smaller margin than 20 points in 2016? If the aggregate gain for Dems is 19 points, that's an insane wave, but also not enough to carry Ossof. Wave isn't binary - there are degrees and 19pt wave would be almost unprecidented in modern times. A narrow Ossof loss would still be an indication of House takeover.

Also remember that these things take time. That the GOP isn't dead at 5 months doesn't mean the GOP won't be severely wounded at 24, when it really counts. The reverse is also true - Ossof could win by ten, and we might still see the GOP keep the House.

Way, way too much stock being put into one race.

Price was an incumbent. If the actual partisan lean is D+19, then Ossof does a hell of a lot better than losing by 1, because this isn't actually an R+20 district

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Spaced God posted:

Nah, I'll join you in very happily reminding people at the internment camps that Ossoff only lost by 2% and the average margin of loss for the Dems in 2018 was 1.5%, so we're on track to take over any day now once they start elections up again.
Can you and your nothing matters brethren gently caress off forever, since you're totally worthless? It'd be much appreciated, thanks!

Grouchio posted:

put us into the final leg of the Watergate speedrun

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Rigel posted:

Price was an incumbent. If the actual partisan lean is D+19, then Ossof does a hell of a lot better than losing by 1, because this isn't actually an R+20 district

I think it's only R+9 or R+10. If the actual lean is D+19 that sweeps Ossoff--and a LOT of other previously red districts--into the Democrats' camp.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Alter Ego posted:

Comey provides the best TV, though. I'd surmise that his testimony will be roughly analogous to John Dean's during Watergate--although maybe he won't read a 4-hour statement.

I really hope he has meticulous notes from all his encounters with Trump. I hope all those stories were true.

Frankly if he doesn't that'd be a much better reason to fire him than Trump has ever given us. You don't get to be Chief Spook by not obsessively documenting everything you can about someone you're unsure of.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

You should still read it all, but I'm still gonna quote this bit

quote:

How to visualize the growth in disability in the United States? One way is to think of a map. Rural communities, where on average 9.1 percent of working-age people are on disability — nearly twice the urban rate and 40 percent higher than the national average — are in a brighter shade than cities. An even brighter hue then spreads from Appalachia into the Deep South and out into Missouri, where rates are higher yet, places economists have called “disability belts.” The brightest color of all can be found in 102 counties, mostly within these belts, where a Washington Post analysis of federal statistics estimates that, at minimum, about 1 in 6 working-age residents draw disability checks.

Jesus Christ, this whole article loving horrifying. I mean the puppy bit at the start is extraordinarily hosed up, but it doesn't really let up from there

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 2, 2017

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Rigel posted:

The last time a Democrat held that seat was 1974. Every election since then, the Republican has had a better than 20% margin of victory. Trump carried it by 1.5, but Romney carried it by about 20 as well IIRC. It is a deep red district.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Crows Turn Off posted:

Is Ossoff going to be yet another case of "he only lost by 2% which is good for the Democrats"?

If Ossoff loses people will finally be justified in freaking out about a loss. GA-06 is the exact kind of seat the Dems need to pickup in 18.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

Frankly if he doesn't that'd be a much better reason to fire him than Trump has ever given us. You don't get to be Chief Spook by not obsessively documenting everything you can about someone you're unsure of.

Well, I only mention that because his friend, that guy who keeps popping up on cable TV, said that Comey was obsessive about documenting his encounters with Trump, and that he would have scads of notes ready to go if needed.

I hope the guy wasn't lying.

I hope to see my friend again and shake his hand.

I hope the Pacific is as blue as it is in my dreams.

I hope.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 2, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Hellblazer187 posted:

The last time a Democrat held that seat was 1974. Every election since then, the Republican has had a better than 20% margin of victory. Trump carried it by 1.5, but Romney carried it by about 20 as well IIRC. It is a deep red district.

Anything before 2012 is worthless due to redistricting, Price's wins are worthless due to incumbency, and this district has had a lot of demographic change. You can't just toss Trump's narrow win aside as a weird outlier, that did happen and it matters a lot. This is not a R+20 district.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Rigel posted:

Anything before 2012 is worthless due to redistricting, Price's wins are worthless due to incumbency, and this district has had a lot of demographic change. You can't just toss Trump's narrow win aside as a weird outlier, that did happen and it matters a lot. This is not a R+20 district.

You can't throw away Price's wins or Romney's margin either. It is not an R+1 district.

• Locked thread