Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

ijyt posted:

Tell me does calling an englishman an englishman make me racist

So your strategy is to imply that you have a severe cognitive disability?

Bold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

chutche2 posted:

Coupla Iron Hands

I'd take a bunker and not the bastion. It has a smaller footprint and costs less points. I recommend building your core list around 2,000 points and focusing on what each unit will do in your army. Good list building is pretty hard even at 2,000 points, but once you have that down you can expand pretty freely. Your gimmick is 'outflank all your tanks while having a bunker in your deployment zone'. Beyond that you need to figure out how you're going to deal with things like fliers, AV15, primarchs, typhons, and things like outflanking vets.

Let’s start with your bunker. The important criteria is for whatever you put inside to survive and to be scoring. Anything else is secondary. You could put a heavy support squad into it, but that's taking away from your other gimmick. Other legions do it better. HS squads also don't score and take up one of your very important HS slots. I'd probably limit myself to troops. A 10-20 man tactical squad is cheapest, but does the least. Breachers would be better as a defensive unit, but they cost more points. A tactical support squad or seekers would give you some shooting, but now you're stuck with a 250 point tactical squad doing something else being equally useless.

I’m going to assume you go with a bunker and a 10 man tactical squad inside. Give it a quadgun and suddenly it has shooting. Now you need to figure out what to do with your other troops choice. Assault marines don't play into your gimmick. That leaves you with breachers in a proteus or a mechanized tactical squad.

Once you pick one of those you need to figure out what to do with your HQ. Autek is a scary motherfucker and can kill primarchs with the right boyfriends. Choose a boyfriend squad for him and then a ride. An outflanking Spartan with a bunch of gorgons is scary poo poo. If that makes you hard, do it, but it's going to be a huge chunk of your army. Otherwise you can get away with a phobos. Comedy option is to take a stormlord. So there's half your army right there and you don't even have a backup unit for your backline. Some good choices here are a pair of thudd guns (separate slots) or taking an Iron Hand Praevian with 2-3 castellax. This is not a cheap unit, but at T8 and with the option of grav on the arms you've got a really flexible unit- tough, ok in melee, good shooting, great against tanks.

Say you go cheap and just take some thudd guns. You're up to about 1500 points now, but can finally can start to bring your toys. You've got all your bases covered. Everything else should go straight into your gimmick of outflanking heavy armour. At 2500 points that means you have 1000 points to play around with. That can be a whole lot of predators, Orth in a superheavy, seekers in rhinos, a landraider squadron, etc. I know that vets are super good, but look outside the box since you have free outflank.

:words:

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

adamantium|wang posted:

Warhammer 30K: You are bloodline is weak

gently caress

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Yeah I couldn't find the bunker in battlescribe but now I see, wall of martyrs. If it has a quad gun though it can't have a comms relay? Thanks for the help so far by the way.

+++ Iron hands (Warhammer 30,000 - The Horus Heresy) [2500pts] +++

++ The Age of Darkness (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [2500pts] ++

+ HQ +

Iron-father Autek Mor [240pts]: Cortex Controller, Cyber-familiar, Father to the Brethren of Iron, Legiones Astartes, Master of the Legion

+ Elites +

Gorgon Terminator Squad [610pts]: Gorgon Hammerbearer, 4x Gorgon Terminator, Heavy Flamer, Legiones Astartes, Pair of Lightning Claws, 3x Power Fist
. . Legion Spartan Assault Tank: Armoured Ceramite, Flare Shield, Legiones Astartes, Quad Lascannon Sponsons, Searchlight and Smoke Launchers, Twin-Linked Heavy Bolter

Legion Quad Launcher Support Battery [70pts]: Legion Rapier, Legiones Astartes, Shatter Shell

Legion Quad Launcher Support Battery [70pts]: Legion Rapier, Legiones Astartes, Shatter Shell

+ Troops +

Legion Tactical Squad [185pts]: 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legiones Astartes
. . Additional Wargear: Bolters
. . Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier: Multi Melta, Twin-Linked Bolter
. . Legion Tactical Sergeant
. . . . Combi-weapon: Combi-weapon: Plasma gun
. . Standard Wargear: Bolt Pistols, Frag and Krak Grenades, Power Armour

Legion Tactical Squad [135pts]: 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legiones Astartes
. . Additional Wargear: Bolters
. . Legion Tactical Sergeant
. . Standard Wargear: Bolt Pistols, Frag and Krak Grenades, Power Armour

+ Fast Attack +

Legion Seeker Squad [350pts]: 7x Legion Seeker Space Marines, Legiones Astartes
. . Additional Wargear
. . Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier: Multi Melta, Twin-Linked Bolter
. . Legion Strike Leader: Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs
. . Standard Wargear: Bolt Pistols, Bolters, Frag and Krak Grenades, Power Armour

+ Heavy Support +

Legion Predator Strike Armoured Squadron [445pts]: Squadron Command Tank
. . Legion Predator Tank: Magna-Melta Cannon, Searchlight and Smoke Launchers
. . Legion Predator Tank: Machine Spirit, Magna-Melta Cannon, Searchlight and Smoke Launchers
. . Legion Predator Tank: Machine Spirit, Magna-Melta Cannon, Searchlight and Smoke Launchers

Legion Vindicator Siege Tank Squadron [120pts]
. . Legion Vindicator Tank: Combi-Bolter, Demolisher Cannon, Searchlight and Smoke Launchers

Sicaran Venator Tank Destroyer [190pts]: Hull Mounted Neutron Beam Laser, Pintle-mounted Heavy Bolter, Searchlight and Smoke Launchers

+ Allegiance +

Legiones Astartes: X: Iron Hands, Loyalist

Rite of War: The Head of the Gorgon

+ Fortification +

Wall of Martyrs Imperial Bunker [85pts]: Barricades, Comms Relay

Created with BattleScribe

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

JBP posted:

I want some alphas just because I like them, but I wasn't aware of this cool rule.

To clarify since no one answered this: it's not a default part of the alphas, it's a part of their Coils of the Hydra rite.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

All this excitement about retaining templates has caused me to do some work on the fluff for my Emperor's Children army. Pumped for 7.5.

Emperor’s Children 23rd Millennial, The Elegant Host

Commanding Officer: Herald-Captain Aeudaros Denoriel, Praetor of the Emperor’s Children 23rd Millennial, Herald of the Warmaster
Flagship: Meaningful Silence

The 23 Millennial, while deservedly lauded for excellence in a tremendous variety of fields, was most well known for having the most favorable Compliance/Death ratio during the great crusade. This was largely accomplished by the diplomatic skill of the commanding officer Captain Aeudaros Denoriel, who often served as a personal herald of the Emperor which such things were needed to reign in some of the more rowdy Legions. When diplomacy failed, Compliance was achieved by quick overpowering strikes at any leaders who would not capitulate. The 23rd Millennial often fought in support of other Legions, forming close ties with the Sons of Horus and the Blood Angels. The 23rd Millennial were often used to command vast formations of Imperial Army troops.Though inspiring in their leadership, casualty rates among human soldiers could grow quite high as the Space Marines were often held in reserve until a crucial blow needed to be struck. Notable art work from conquered worlds would often be taken into the vast collection aboard the Legion’s ships. Dark rumors began to circulate towards the end of the Great Crusade that if a culture had art Captain Denoriel found displeasing whole systems could be ruined for offending his aesthetic sensibilities. The towering pride and arrogance of the Emperor’s Children had found a great place to bloom.

After the events of the Isstvan V, his almost fanatical loyalty to the Warmaster saw Captain Denoriel returned to his old role of Herald. This could often lead to conflicts with other commanders of the traitor forces, but often helped keep the vast army of rebellion from falling apart. Leading vast hordes of humans from conquered planets, the 23rd Millennial were right at home spearheading Dark Compliance by any means necessary. Though the toll in human lives was far more extravagant than before, then success rate more than made up for it.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Cythereal posted:

To clarify since no one answered this: it's not a default part of the alphas, it's a part of their Coils of the Hydra rite.

And it's pretty restrictive with its requirements. You need three troop choices, and everything that can't infiltrate/deep strike needs a transport (or something like that?). You end up paying a hefty troop tax =(

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Eifert Posting posted:

Bold.

As someone with a legit cognitive disability, can we not do this?

Can't we just talk about sweet sweet 30k and 7.5?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Is it actually going to be 7.5 or is it going to be 7e but with HH artwork!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Is it actually going to be 7.5 or is it going to be 7e but with HH artwork!

7 but with rules tweaks so Sweeping wipes out both your unit and theirs.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
It won't be 7th as we know it, but it's an open question how many changes they'll nake

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

It won't be 7th as we know it, but it's an open question how many changes they'll nake

Flamer template: D3 hits
Small template: D6 hits
Large template: 2D6 hits

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

TTerrible posted:

Flamer template: D3 hits
Small template: D6 hits
Large template: 2D6 hits

They'll keep the scatter die, but now the arrow means that the closest unit within 2d6+d12 inches of the target unit in that direction also suffers d8 hits.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

MasterSlowPoke posted:

They'll keep the scatter die, but now the arrow means that the closest unit within 2d6+d12 inches of the target unit in that direction also suffers d8 hits.

We can go deeper.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

TTerrible posted:

Flamer template: D3 shots
Small template: D3 shots
Large template: D6 shots

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
If they ditch templates I will be incredibly happy

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Lord Twisted posted:

If they ditch templates I will be incredibly happy

Me too, but not for gameplay reasons.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I hope they ditch fun

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
That makes it sound like templates were responsible for the death of a loved one.

I totally get why for gameplay reasons it is a sensible call, particularly in the era of batteries of quad mortars etc.. I think I will miss the physical implication of a blast going off amongst troops. It helps the visualisation whilst I am forging the narrative.

Boom

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
That's why I always make sure to take a blowtorch to my opponents models as I drown them in phosphex templates.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

Bold.

Weak post try harder oval office

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
What would you guys hope to see in 7.5? My hopes for 8th have been signifigantly lessened as the meat of the game has been revealed and I'm looking forward to retreating into the familiar funk of HH.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

adamantium|wang posted:

What would you guys hope to see in 7.5? My hopes for 8th have been signifigantly lessened as the meat of the game has been revealed and I'm looking forward to retreating into the familiar funk of HH.

U-turn into a full adoption of 8th especially removal if templates. No half measures.

Streamlining - too many characters atm, too many ridiculous legion rules.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Nothing too crazy. I'd like them re-visit some of the special rules to make them more useful or easy to read. Stop random wizard powers and warlord traits. Tweak some of the weapon profiles like ordinance. Maybe take a few pointers from 8th like shooting pistols in assault and group over watch.

Besides that? Nerf whatever army ijyt plays.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

Nothing too crazy. I'd like them re-visit some of the special rules to make them more useful or easy to read. Stop random wizard powers and warlord traits. Tweak some of the weapon profiles like ordinance. Maybe take a few pointers from 8th like shooting pistols in assault and group over watch.

Besides that? Nerf whatever army ijyt plays.

You're edging hard rn not mentioning grenades

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

adamantium|wang posted:

Warlord traits and psychic powers should be picked, not rolled.
D should become S10 AP1 ID. Stomp should be similar.
Psychic table rework to make powers generally more useful and eliminate trap tables like Telepathy.
A bunch of legion-specific and model-specific changes.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

adamantium|wang posted:

Reclassify Melta Bombs as a melee weapon so you can stick it on vehicles as intended.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

I'm getting a bunch of Mk III marines soon.

What legion does blobs of tactical marines best?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Imperial Fists.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Uncle Pert's Frown Time Boyz

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Infiltrating 20-man blobs is fun and will make you friends. Hail hydra!

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Der Waffle Mous posted:

World Eaters of course.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

gently caress.

Well. World Eaters are out because someone here already plays 'em.

Alpha Legion are rad but I feel like having them in Mk III wouldn't be right.

Iron Warriors vs. Fists are more or less about whether painting yellow or painting hazard stripes intimidates me more.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Sons of Horus do Tac squads alright, with Merciless Fighters, Death Dealer, and The Long March you are deceptively good.

Aesaar
Mar 19, 2015
I'd love to see an across the board increase in wounds/hullpoints and the addition of a damage stat to weapons (one of 8th's best ideas, imo).

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Iron Warriors vs. Fists are more or less about whether painting yellow or painting hazard stripes intimidates me more.

What about white?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Don't play Huff Guard

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Play whatever legion makes your genitals the happiest imo

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The answer is all tactical marines own and every legion owns depending on whether you want to shoot, charge around or eat bullets while saying DGAF.

My EC tactical marines don't have much special going for them, but I run them as a 20 man and buy the extra cc weapons. Fury of the legion shooting along with a round of that blessed +1 initiative is great. Cheap and cheerful apothecary makes them sturdy as hell and the phoenix spear sargeant can fight well enough to kill some dudes. Then I wait for Eidolon, Palatines or my assault squad to come by and wash away whatever poorly dressed filth I'm beating up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

panascope posted:

Don't play Huff Guard

It does seem like a whole lot of goons are playing Death Guard. Spreading like some kind of... thing that spreads gradually. A fire or something? Butter maybe? I had something for this.

Do we have a thread breakdown or count of Legions played?