Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

EvilJoven posted:

A few days ago someone was driving and texting and t-boned an SUV and the SUV got catapulted on top of a cyclist. She's in critical condition. Good chance she'll die. I doubt the driver will get so much as a suspended sentence. I loving hate cars.

Eh, accidents happen, just a good ol' innocent accident. Can't blame a person for an accident, that would be a war on cars. Accidents are guiltless and totally unpreventable through both infrastructure design and driver training,, pretty much an act of god like a flood or a 13 year old drowning in the grain silo of his family farm. Maybe we could stop them but the costs are just too high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
You don't want to sacrifice jobs do you?? We have to protect them at all costs!

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I want a more Draconian criminal justice system for the things I dislike, and a more rehabilitative criminal justice system for the things I do like.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
What the gently caress is rehabilitative about the consequences of injuring or killing someone with your car being everyone going 'poo poo happens' :shrug: and doing next to nothing?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

the trump tutelage posted:

I want a more Draconian criminal justice system for the things I dislike, and a more rehabilitative criminal justice system for the things I do like.

Death penalty for white cishet men, community service for queer black women.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Baronjutter posted:

Eh, accidents happen, just a good ol' innocent accident. Can't blame a person for an accident, that would be a war on cars. Accidents are guiltless and totally unpreventable through both infrastructure design and driver training,, pretty much an act of god like a flood or a 13 year old drowning in the grain silo of his family farm. Maybe we could stop them but the costs are just too high.

What is it when a woman sleeps, her head bright
In your lap, in your hands, her breath easy now as though it had never been
Anything else, and you know she is dreaming, her eyelids
Jerk, but she is not troubled, it is a dream
That does not include you, but you are not troubled either,
It is too good to hold her while she sleeps, her hair falling
Richly on your hands, shining like metal, a color
That when you think of it you cannot name, as though it has just
Come into existence, dragging you into the world in the wake
Of its creation, out of whatever vacuum you were in before,
And you are like the boy you heard of once who fell
Into a silo full of oats, the silo emptying from below, oats
At the top swirling in a gold whirlpool, a bright eddy of grain, the boy
You imagine, leaning over the edge to see it, the noon sun breaking
Into the center of the circle he watches, hot on his back, burning
And he forgets his father’s warning, stands on the edge, looks down,
The grain spinning, dizzy, and when he falls his arms go out, too thin
For wings, and he hears his father’s cry somewhere, but is gone
Already, down in a gold sea, spun deep in the heart of the silo,
And when they find him, he lies still, not seeing the world
Through his body but through the deep rush of grain
Where he has gone and can never come back, though they drag him
Out, his father’s tears bright on both their faces, the farmhands
Standing by blank and amazed - you touch that unnamable
Color in her hair and you are gone into what is not fear or joy
But a whirling of sunlight and water and air full of shining dust
That takes you, a dream that is not of you but will let you
Into itself if you love enough, and will not, will never let you go.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

EvilJoven posted:

What the gently caress is rehabilitative about the consequences of injuring or killing someone with your car being everyone going 'poo poo happens' :shrug: and doing next to nothing?
I don't want to joust with hypotheticals but, generally, I think people who have never dealt with the justice system severely underestimate how destructive the entire process can be. Any time served in our jails is going to be a traumatizing experience, so sentencing is always really about how much you want to torture someone.

Arivia posted:

I'll meet you half way with solitary for cishet men and the community service needs to be in bougie white neighbourhoods.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Stickarts posted:

What is it when a woman sleeps, her head bright
In your lap, in your hands, her breath easy now as though it had never been
Anything else, and you know she is dreaming, her eyelids
Jerk, but she is not troubled, it is a dream
That does not include you, but you are not troubled either,
It is too good to hold her while she sleeps, her hair falling
Richly on your hands, shining like metal, a color
That when you think of it you cannot name, as though it has just
Come into existence, dragging you into the world in the wake
Of its creation, out of whatever vacuum you were in before,
And you are like the boy you heard of once who fell
Into a silo full of oats, the silo emptying from below, oats
At the top swirling in a gold whirlpool, a bright eddy of grain, the boy
You imagine, leaning over the edge to see it, the noon sun breaking
Into the center of the circle he watches, hot on his back, burning
And he forgets his father’s warning, stands on the edge, looks down,
The grain spinning, dizzy, and when he falls his arms go out, too thin
For wings, and he hears his father’s cry somewhere, but is gone
Already, down in a gold sea, spun deep in the heart of the silo,
And when they find him, he lies still, not seeing the world
Through his body but through the deep rush of grain
Where he has gone and can never come back, though they drag him
Out, his father’s tears bright on both their faces, the farmhands
Standing by blank and amazed - you touch that unnamable
Color in her hair and you are gone into what is not fear or joy
But a whirling of sunlight and water and air full of shining dust
That takes you, a dream that is not of you but will let you
Into itself if you love enough, and will not, will never let you go.

Jesus, is this a real Atwood poem?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

EvilJoven posted:

A few days ago someone was driving and texting and t-boned an SUV and the SUV got catapulted on top of a cyclist. She's in critical condition. Good chance she'll die. I doubt the driver will get so much as a suspended sentence. I loving hate cars.

This poo poo is so infuriating. This morning they said stable but still critical - so still a chance she may die. I saw the video and this loving vile rear end in a top hat just runs the red. To save 30 seconds? maybe? FUCKERS!

The same goddamn morning I am driving and twice people just changed lanes in front of me with no blinker - zooming in and out. I get so angry at this poo poo.

Last month I was coming home and saw someone run right through the red going at least 90 (it was an 80 zone and I couldn't keep up to her at all when I made my turn). I honestly felt like following her and screaming to smarten the gently caress up and if it was goddamn worth running a red to potentially kill someone.

gently caress THESE ASSHOLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
This is why red light cameras, random and sometimes obscure speed limits and massive ticketing in Winnipeg makes me smile, gently caress all Winnipeg drivers.

I actually had a friend argue with me that that making texting and driving illegal is more dangerous because now he can't have his phone up on the wheel to text and has to hide it.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
No actually the obscure speed limits and red light cameras actually don't help with safety because people are so busy focusing on their speedometer and trying to spot the speed limit signs that they aren't paying as much attention to their actual driving. They also end up having to stop and start at intersections a lot more, increasing the risk of collisions, because traffic gets all stop and go because the lights are timed for 60 or 70 in some sections and everyone's doing 50 because they didn't see the single speed limit change sign that's hidden by a tree.

This city needs better signage, speed limits that make sense on the main thoroughfares and lower speed limits on residential side streets.

And speed bumps. I love speed bumps. As long as the city makes the effort to paint them orange so they don't blend in.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Jesus, is this a real Atwood poem?

Written by a "TR Hummer". If it was Atwood, the father would have been impenetrable and distant, the woman would be internally sexually conflicted and have an eating disorder, and there would be awkward similes everywhere, like seagulls at a garbage dump.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Arivia posted:

Dickapitation for park loving

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Today I was entering Deerfoot Trail (the main highway running through Calgary for any unfamiliar, 100kph limit), and heard one hell of a grinding noise to my left. I look over, and there is a pickup truck dragging a brand new barbeque along the road, only thing securing it to the truck was the random plastic wrap around it. That's my CanPol traffic story for today.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

EvilJoven posted:

No actually the obscure speed limits and red light cameras actually don't help with safety because people are so busy focusing on their speedometer and trying to spot the speed limit signs that they aren't paying as much attention to their actual driving. They also end up having to stop and start at intersections a lot more, increasing the risk of collisions, because traffic gets all stop and go because the lights are timed for 60 or 70 in some sections and everyone's doing 50 because they didn't see the single speed limit change sign that's hidden by a tree.

This city needs better signage, speed limits that make sense on the main thoroughfares and lower speed limits on residential side streets.

And speed bumps. I love speed bumps. As long as the city makes the effort to paint them orange so they don't blend in.

gently caress off no pays attention to their speedometer in Winnipeg, everyone just does 70km/h an hour and hopes for the best

That's the same bullshit argument people use against 30km/h schoolzones, ohhhhhh it's not safe because I have to watch my speedometer to make sure I don't go over 30. If you can't go 30km/h without watching your speedometer you shouldn't be loving driving.

DariusLikewise fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 2, 2017

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
e: I had something else here but nah.

I've become attached to this avatar though so no complaints here :)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 10, 2022

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Here the moment you see Alberta plates you know they're going to swerve in and out of traffic while doing the 20 over the speed limit. From what I've gathered the policy on school zones in Alberta is to speed up as fast as possible to get through them before any children might be crossing.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Jordan7hm posted:

e: I had something else here but nah.

I've become attached to this avatar though so no complaints here :)

Wear it with pride :gay:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

BGrifter posted:

Here the moment you see Alberta plates you know they're going to swerve in and out of traffic while doing the 20 over the speed limit. From what I've gathered the policy on school zones in Alberta is to speed up as fast as possible to get through them before any children might be crossing.

In Victoria every time a driver has left me wide-eyed in disbelief for the sheer brazen speeding and reckless aggressive driving it's been alberta plates. Passing in the oncoming lane on a double yellow in a school zone because they've gotten road rage having to do 30 for a few min and then have to slam on the breaks because children were using a crosswalk around the corner but blasting thier horn at them anyways? Alberta plates. Running a red doing about 80 in a 50 zone and nearly taking out someone finishing up their left turn then honking at them? Alberta plates. Taking their truck up onto the sidewalk and through a bike lane because they didn't like that people were doing the speed limit then peeled out through a red? Alberta plates. A long continuous rage-honk because you correctly stopped at the stop bar of an intersection you can't clear due to gridlock? Albeta plates. They seem to get instant road rage the moment they're forced to ever do the speed limit or below for any reason, and the idea that bikes and pedestrians exist is personal affront.

Not that Victoria drivers aren't bad, boy oh boy are they bad, but they're not bad due to rage and entitlement they're just old and stupid. Just last night me and my wife were nearly crying laughing at this lady trying to parallel park her car in front of our apartment in a huuuuge spot and after 15 min just gave up and left her car about 1.5m from the curb, she also made contact with the car in front and behind her during her fruitless maneuvering.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

every time they have to tap the brakes they're reminded of the devil Rachel Notley putting the brakes on prosperity in Alberta

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

THC posted:

every time they have to tap the brakes they're reminded of the devil Rachel Notley putting the brakes on prosperity in Alberta

:lol:

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Seeing the number on their speedometer go up reminds them of rising oil prices, and the good times. Seeing the number go down brings back the bad memories and the anger.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

New Coke posted:

The full text of Mulcair's comments aren't as bad as they've been painted, but "Homolka has paid her debt to society" sounds like a sick joke. Is he, like, at all aware of the circumstances around her sentencing?

She should be allowed to maintain a degree of anonymity, if only for her own safety, but I'm astonished she was allowed to volunteer at an elementary school. I was required to get a criminal record check as well as a vulnerable sector check to volunteer at an elementary despite not working directly with kids.

Meanwhile, Rosie DiManno literally advocates criminally harassing her.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

The Butcher posted:

Seeing the number on their speedometer go up reminds them of rising oil prices, and the good times. Seeing the number go down brings back the bad memories and the anger.

Also explains the rising BAC on a breathalyzer.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hey speaking of killing children, you'd think I'd link to Rosie DiManno's hot take on Karla Homolka, but I refused to click on it so have this instead:

Ottawa spent $707,000 in legal fees fighting decision that protects Indigenous children

The Toronto Star posted:

Ottawa spent $707,000 in legal fees fighting a Canadian Human Rights Tribunal order since January 2016 that insisted they stop discriminating against Indigenous children, according to the attorney general’s office.

New Democrat MP Charlie Angus asked Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould on April 10 what the government’s total legal costs were in the battle between the First Nations Child and Family Caring Society and the Assembly of First Nations against the government since Jan. 25, 2016.

Angus just received the answer of $707,000 for legal costs, including disbursements. That is nearly twice the $380,000 needed by Wapekeka First Nation for emergency mental health care after the northern Ontario community uncovered a suicide pact last year. Health Canada denied them the funding and two 12-year-old girls, Jolynn Winter and Chantell Fox, took their lives in January.

“How is it possible the office of (Indigenous Affairs Minister) Carolyn Bennett and (Health Minister) Jane Philpott decided it was awkward to spend money to keep those girls alive but it wasn’t awkward to spend money on lawyers to fight the tribunal?” Angus said Thursday.

After a prolonged legal fight, the tribunal ruled in January 2016, that Canada was breaking the law by not making equitable health and social services payments to Indigenous children living on reserves. On May 26 the tribunal slammed the government’s slow reaction to their ruling, saying they squandered “any chance of preventing” the deaths of Winter and Fox.

The $707,000 could have gone a long way for mental health services for children in need, said Cindy Blackstock, the executive director of the First Nations Family Caring Society.

“I just don’t understand it,” she said. The government has received a series of non-compliance orders from the tribunal since their 2016 ruling.

In an act of desperation, Blackstock wrote a letter to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, asking him to personally intervene in this case.

“It should be abundantly clear by now, after four non-compliance orders and the most recent order linking Canada’s non-compliance to the tragic deaths of two 12-year-old girls that these departments are either unwilling or unable to do it on their own. They need leadership from the Prime Minister’s Office to do it,” she said.

“I worry about this non-compliance as each day passes because children and their families continue to live in crisis.”

When contacted by the Star on Thursday, a spokesperson for Philpott’s office pointed to the joint statement released last week by the Health and Indigenous affairs ministries after the latest non-compliance ruling. The statement said more than 4,900 requests for health, social and educational products or services have been approved for children under the Jordan’s Principle Child-First Initiative.

“We are reaching out to First Nations families, health providers and key stakeholders to raise awareness of Jordan’s Principle, encourage families to come forward, and help families obtain the services and supports they need,” the statement said.

In an emailed statement, James Fitzmorris, spokesperson for Bennett, said the department “strongly agrees” with the tribunal’s order to put children first in its approach to First Nations health and social spending. He said the government has been responding to the legal case at the tribunal and “can’t ignore orders to appear.

“Canada fully accepted and is implementing the CHRT ruling of 2016 — all legal fees incurred since then are related to responding to orders from the CHRT to appear and explain the steps Canada is taking to ensure an end to discrimination against First Nations Children in Child and Family services,” the statement said.

Blackstock said the government knows what to do — and that is fund all children equitably — but they are just willingly not doing it.

“That is a very hard thing for me to think about. I have always believed in the goodness of people. I can’t wrap my mind around why good people would not comply with four legal orders,” she said, adding she sent the letter to Trudeau on Monday.

At the heart of the tribunal case is the definition of “Jordan’s Principle,” named after Jordan River Anderson, a 5-year-old boy from Norway House First Nation who died in 2005. Parliament unanimously passed a motion to adopt Jordan’s Principle in 2007, to ensure that all Indigenous children immediately get health and welfare services they need.

In January 2016 the tribunal ruled the government’s definition of Jordan’s Principle was too narrow in its focus on cases where children had “multiple disabilities.” This led to “service gaps, delays and denials for First Nations children,” the tribunal found.

Last year, the Liberal government committed up to $382.5 million over three years to pay for services highlighted by the tribunal’s first ruling on discrimination.

Unfortunately, this article isn't terribly clear on what's going on besides the usual Liberal foot-dragging. Have they actually funded all of these programs that should have been approved in the first place now or what? Is that $382.5 million being spent now? It says "up to", and we all know that can mean absolutely gently caress all.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

BGrifter posted:

Well actually *pushes glasses up* Edmonton school zones are 30 during school days and are constantly monitored by the police.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Stickarts posted:

Written by a "TR Hummer". If it was Atwood, the father would have been impenetrable and distant, the woman would be internally sexually conflicted and have an eating disorder, and there would be awkward similes everywhere, like seagulls at a garbage dump.

This guy gets it.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

eXXon posted:

Unfortunately, this article isn't terribly clear on what's going on besides the usual Liberal foot-dragging. Have they actually funded all of these programs that should have been approved in the first place now or what? Is that $382.5 million being spent now? It says "up to", and we all know that can mean absolutely gently caress all.
Reading through the CHRT ruling is cool because you get to see how divorced from common parlance terms like "discrimination" are when used by lawyers.

I haven't seen much detail on how much of the funding has been used, or how. Probably very little.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I enjoyed this tweet.

https://twitter.com/PierrePoilievre/status/870718547105853443

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

eXXon posted:

Hey speaking of killing children, you'd think I'd link to Rosie DiManno's hot take on Karla Homolka, but I refused to click on it so have this instead:

Ottawa spent $707,000 in legal fees fighting decision that protects Indigenous children

Sunny Ways and all that, they will probably pull a Harper and budget funds to a department and then ask that department to spend nothing and give the funds back at the end of the year to create a better looking bottom line.

Conservatives do have a sense of humour!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The one time I had to drive through Calgary I saw I poo poo you not four accidents and almost got driven into like three times.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

HookShot posted:

The one time I had to drive through Calgary I saw I poo poo you not four accidents and almost got driven into like three times.

Yeah, our drivers are awful. Just today, I saw a guy stop on the X by the C-Train tracks, get hit by the crossing arm, and then promptly back into the person stopped behind him.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

It's kind of easy to spot the bad drivers

lovely raised truck, confederate sticker, loud/no muffler, drives way too close to others, alberta plates

Just give them a wide berth so they can slam into a semi instead of you

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

PT6A posted:

Yeah, our drivers are awful. Just today, I saw a guy stop on the X by the C-Train tracks, get hit by the crossing arm, and then promptly back into the person stopped behind him.

... Was it you?

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

HookShot posted:

Got cut off by two pick up trucks doing 130 on deerfoot this morning as I was driving to work.

It occurred to me that while I grew up in this city, I'm thinking we should firebomb cowtown and scatter her people to the four winds.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 9, 2022

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

It was not.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Fried Watermelon posted:

lovely raised truck, confederate sticker, loud/no muffler, drives way too close to others, alberta plates

I would support genuine police state style legislation as long as we were using it to crack down on these idiots in particular.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

PittTheElder posted:

I would support genuine police state style legislation as long as we were using it to crack down on these idiots in particular.

There's already a lot of laws in place regarding vehicle noise and emissions they are so so rarely enforced. I'd lower the noise threshold and do a big crackdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The best is when it's an off duty cop in the loud truck