Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

hawowanlawow posted:

Overwatch is hot garbage and 10x the clusterfuck of tf2. Ults are terrible to have in an fps.

its a good thing each and every ult is completely avoidable, is clearly broadcast where it is happening and has clear and obvious counters and dying to an ult is entirely your fault

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Zombie Blizzard exec: Hey what if we take these assets from this cancelled mmo thats been in development hell for a decade and..

Activision exec: ...Yesss what? What??? Don't hold out on me baby.

Zombie Blizzard exec: we steal the gameplay from *flips coin that lands on heads* Team Fortress 2 and combine it wit-

Activision exec: DOTA!!!! Mobas are hot poo poo right now!

Zombie Blizzard exec: and then we dress it up with uhhh*flips a coin that lands on tails* HUGE ANIME ASSES. To draw in that 14 year old boy crowd.

Activision exec: YEEEAAHHHH NOW WE'RE COOKING.

Both men are visibly aroused and panting heavily, sweat dripping from every inch of theie exposed bodies.

*camera pans out to reveal single unhinged sweating man in front of a mirror next to a pile of skeletons*

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sid Vicious posted:

No I realize you can transfer it once every six months you can do it from their website yourself but that had already been done presumably by whoever had hacked my account they were very helpful still.

Im sorry sid, you deserve better :(

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

nigga crab pollock posted:

its a good thing each and every ult is completely avoidable, is clearly broadcast where it is happening and has clear and obvious counters and dying to an ult is entirely your fault

Translation: reeee git gud

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Chomp8645 posted:

Additionally, in my quest for Good Gaming Experiences, I always turn ON subtitles for all games and turn OFF vibrations at the account level.

This is a pro move though ?

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

basic hitler posted:

Zombie Blizzard exec: Hey what if we take these assets from this cancelled mmo thats been in development hell for a decade and..

Activision exec: ...Yesss what? What??? Don't hold out on me baby.

Zombie Blizzard exec: we steal the gameplay from *flips coin that lands on heads* Team Fortress 2 and combine it wit-

Activision exec: DOTA!!!! Mobas are hot poo poo right now!

Zombie Blizzard exec: and then we dress it up with uhhh*flips a coin that lands on tails* HUGE ANIME ASSES. To draw in that 14 year old boy crowd.

Activision exec: YEEEAAHHHH NOW WE'RE COOKING.

Both men are visibly aroused and panting heavily, sweat dripping from every inch of theie exposed bodies.

*camera pans out to reveal single unhinged sweating man in front of a mirror next to a pile of skeletons*

You there. You're my new forums posting ally.

:getin:

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

hawowanlawow posted:

Translation: reeee git gud

if i wasnt talking about overwatch, the game whose gameplay loop is completely streamlined and babified, yeah

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Heres my next hot opinion: any argument forked from the "its a good game, its just not a good [x] game!" Is bullshit and bad and anybody who uses it sucks clown chodes.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Overwatch is definitely crazy overrated but it's still a fun game to play a few rounds of. Also, love it or hate the characters, the overall design is really impressive in terms of recognizable silhouettes and automatic audio call-outs that warn you about ults and stuff.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
If Titanfall 2 had a bigger playerbase on PC i would play nothing but it to scratch my fps itch. But i hate playing its flagship game mode, Attrition, because i don't play multiplayer fps'es to care about shooting bots, and the last time i played every other game mode took 20 minutes to find a game since nothing has dedicated servers anymore.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

its because titanfall 2 got old super fast

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

Fartbox posted:

its because titanfall 2 got old super fast

That and the progression system was a freaking slog.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

SpaceClown posted:

Heres my next hot opinion: any argument forked from the "its a good game, its just not a good [x] game!" Is bullshit and bad and anybody who uses it sucks clown chodes.

Why's that?

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Because its nonesense. A good game is a good game. Your enjoyment shouldnt hinge on whether or not its a carbon copy of the previous game.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Overwatch is successful because every other competitive FPS is just teams of 5-10 boring people in black/brown/tan clothes with the EXACT SAME GUNS as every other game in the genre.

The overwhelming homogenization of realistic, military shooters lead to a decade of 5 companies making the same game over and over, and Overwatch manages to add enough variety at every level of the game that people are drawn to it because it's finally something new.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Overwatch TF2 is successful because every other competitive FPS is just teams of 5-10 boring people in black/brown/tan clothes with the EXACT SAME GUNS as every other game in the genre.

The overwhelming homogenization of realistic, military shooters lead to a decade of 5 companies making the same game over and over, and Overwatch manages to add enough variety at every level of the game that people are drawn to it because it's finally something new.
Just a reminder.

SpaceClown posted:

Because its nonesense. A good game is a good game. Your enjoyment shouldnt hinge on whether or not its a carbon copy of the previous game.
You misunderstand the statement. For argument's sake, let's say I think "Breath of the Wild" is a bad Zelda game. I can still like it and enjoy it a lot and think it is a good game, I just don't think it fits within the paradigm of what a good Zelda game is. One opinion does not contradict the other, even if the other may be fanboy quibbling.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Thats exactly why its bad. It assumes the series exists within the scope of the fans, but thats not how art works.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Halo Reach was the last multiplayer fps worth playing, everything else is trash.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I like paladins more than overwatch, despite all the dumb f2p crap associated with it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

This is probably actually an extremely popular opinion, but the best multiplayer fps of all time is Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Quick-time events are good.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Third person shooters are always better than first person shooters especially if there's no cover system.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

beep by grandpa posted:

Third person shooters are always better than first person shooters especially if there's no cover system.

My split is TPS on controller and FPS on KB + M.

I prefer TPS in general though because I am very very bad at telling where enemy shots are coming from using the FPS damage indicators. I always just end up spinning around and dying.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

SpaceClown posted:

Thats exactly why its bad. It assumes the series exists within the scope of the fans, but thats not how art works.
Art works on both levels and you know it.

beep by grandpa posted:

A great third-person shooter is better than any FPS, but a mediocre third-person shooter is usually worse than a sub-par FPS.
---------

Unpopular opinion: Most of the SEGA Genesis "classics" are garbage that are only fondly remembered because in the early 90s SEGA was the budget console of choice.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

beep by grandpa posted:

I can't remember the last time I played a TPS game and there was no cover system.

Like maybe 10 years ago.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
My unpopular opinion: everything is either good or bad depending on whether you like it or not.

Also: Genesis music may have been inferior in quality to the SNES but it had a certain charm to it that made it good.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

Art works on both levels and you know it.

name a masterpiece that was also designed to pander to fans

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

SpaceClown posted:

name a masterpiece that was also designed to pander to fans
Final Fantasy V

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

HAT FETISH posted:

Final Fantasy V

There it is, I knew it was out there.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

overwatch is still insanely bad, i hate to b gbs about it, but hell. its the drat truth.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

my memory of dragon age origins is it was a groundbreaking incredible game

now that i'm replaying it it doesn't really feel that way. it's good but not like mindblowing.

sometimes we remember things as better than they were

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

beep by grandpa posted:

I was gonna try to own you but then I remembered being utterly blown away by Max Payne back in the day so there you go!

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Vegetable posted:

now that i'm replaying it it doesn't really feel that way. it's good but not like mindblowing.

The Fallout series is a good example of this. Playing the first 2 is a sad realisation that the series wasn't very popular for good reason.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Vegetable posted:

It's also sometimes the whole Seinfeld effect; there's nothing special about it because everyone saw how cool it was and copied it to death.

Don't know if I'd apply that to Dragon Age Origins though.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Dragon age's magic sucks "ohh its bad" like fuuuck you bioware magic rules

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Lets invert a bunch of D&D fantasy tropes just to be different and then make the sole bad guys a bunch of renamed uruk'hai

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Vegetable posted:

It was very good when it came out because rpgs were dead

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

a bone to pick posted:

The Fallout series is a good example of this. Playing the first 2 is a sad realisation that the series wasn't very popular for good reason.

Also that their fanbase was toxic and hostile to newcomers until 3 came along.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

a bone to pick posted:

Tch.... whatever, man! Fallout 2 is extremely good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

basic hitler posted:

Lets invert a bunch of D&D fantasy tropes just to be different and then make the sole bad guys a bunch of renamed uruk'hai
Every character has the same skill tree iirc. Like, I had a mage and I also played one and it was like "welp I guess one guy will cast firestorm and the other will cast ice storm" then a third mage comes along and it's like "hmmm, meteor shower or lightning storm".

Game was so tragically uninspired that the stupidity of its fans is deafening. Like, you know they only like the game because they enjoy shipping the characters. There is no other reason to like it. There is no story. All the dungeons are the same. Nil character customization. Drab scenery and stale voice acting. Utter poo poo game. So vexed that I wasted 20 hours or whatever playing it, uninstalled. Will never play again. Will mock those who do.