Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Motherfucker posted:

His ability to sense evil has been blunted by spending the majority of his marriage in the keeping of a witch. No doubt the soul pact he signed at the commencement of their marriage in his blood somehow keeps him from seeing things clearly.

Goons have never seen a manipulative woman at work over years, apparently. That story is pretty close to my grandpa Chuck's marriage to my grandma Kitty, minus the lady bff. Made him stop seeing his friends, had an affair (we have letters she kept!), always got her way with purchases and leisure activities, and just slowly ground his spirit into dust. For his part, he just worked as many hours as possible to get respite. Unfortunately, yknow, they had kids. Unfortunate mostly because that led to my existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Ya'll are loving liars. I don't believe a single goon comes in at under 250lb.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Hugh was skinny but I don't think he ate solid food most days, he'd sit at his computer with a 2-liter bottle he'd refilled with oversaturated Tang

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

It was good enough for the astronauts

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Re-using 2 liter bottles for any purpose is a sign of mental illness.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

Pick posted:

Hugh was skinny but I don't think he ate solid food most days, he'd sit at his computer with a 2-liter bottle he'd refilled with oversaturated Tang

Every new Hugh story is like a layer of the most entertaining onion of dysfunction. Never stop sharing :allears:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
One time I came over on a Thursday and while I was talking he got up to go to his kitchen and retrieve a box of cooked white rice which he ate cold and he said "this is from last Friday..." but didn't offer me any.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Pick posted:

My [M27] boyfriend of two years wanted me [F26] to stop spending so much money on beauty supplies. I did, but now he thinks I'm ugly and he is secretly spending that money on something else.

So I have fairly bad skin. I have about six to seven red pimples on my face at any one time, uneven skin tone, and dark undereyes. I also have rather small eyes and eyelashes. So without makeup and a regime of beauty products, I don’t look as pretty. However, my boyfriend is aware of, and hasn’t complained about my natural look before.

We have live together for about six months, and recently in the last two months I have made a change. My boyfriend was rather upset with how much I spent on makeup and beauty supplies a month since we have combined expenses. I probably spend about $75 a month on lotions, makeup, and whatever else I need. He told me, “why not just go without makeup and use what I use?” He thought the extra $75 would be better spent on something we buy together, like food.

So I did. I wanted to make my boyfriend happy, and it seemed like a good idea at the time. It wasn’t.

After a few weeks I started to break out even worse, and once my old makeup started to run out I noticed that my boyfriend stopped taking me out. We used to go on a date every Friday, but not anymore. We would go out with friends on Saturday, but suddenly my boyfriend wants to just “hang out with the guys” for weeks. And grocery shopping? He started doing it by himself on Friday when I am at work (he’s self-employed).

So I asked him about it, and he told me, “You’ve really let yourself go. I think you need to lose weight if you want this relationship to be more serious.”

I have never been so insulted in my life. One, because we have been talking about marriage since we moved in together (though it “mysteriously” stopped recently), and two, I’ve lost ten pounds since I started to really focus on my exercise regime. I told him this, and he said I was lying. Clearly I’ve gotten fatter, because my face is all puffy.

I wanted to shout at him, but I didn’t, and we sat in the living room. I told him that the only thing that changed, other than my weight gain, was that I stopped using all my beauty products and instead used the cheaper stuff he does. I asked him if the reason why we stopped going on dates is because I don’t look as polished as I normally do. He said yes, that’s why.

I know how much attraction means to guys, so I told him that I should probably get back to my beauty regime, but he got very, very upset and said that I spend too much money and that I was obviously just not trying hard enough with what we already have. That maybe I was skipping out on washing my face and that maybe the scale is wrong and I have gained weight (I also weighed myself at my friend’s last week, so we would both need to have identically miscalibrated scales).

After that we didn’t talk to each other for awhile, him because he thought I was lying, and me because I just needed to calm myself down so I wouldn’t say something I regretted. I went into the bedroom, and my boyfriend’s laptop was on his bed. When I moved it the screen flickered and I noticed that on his desktop was a bunch of videogames I hadn’t seen him play before.

I feel really bad about it, but I thought something was off so I went onto our bank account website. Normally my boyfriend pays all the bills out of our joint account, and I have always paid everything in cash (I just like the feeling of it) so he usually gets money out of the bank for me during the day and I go spend it.

Well, I noticed a lot of transactions for steam. About $75 worth for the last two months.

Money is pretty tight in our household; we are putting money towards savings and student debt, but we are frugal otherwise. We each have a personal budget though for non-essential expenses, about $150 each. I didn’t realize it before, but when I stopped buying beauty products, my personal budget also went down instead of up, and my boyfriend has been spending the difference on video games.

I don’t know what to do from here.

TL;DR: My boyfriend asked me to stop spending so much money on beauty supplies to help out our budget. Now he considers me ugly and fat and may not commit to me in the future. Also, the money that was supposed to go towards shared expenses went towards secret video game purchases.

What games were they though? Was it a holiday sale? You can get like 10-50+ games for $75 on a Steam holiday sale if you shop around.

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

Pick posted:

One time I came over on a Thursday and while I was talking he got up to go to his kitchen and retrieve a box of cooked white rice which he ate cold and he said "this is from last Friday..." but didn't offer me any.

What the gently caress

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Pvt.Scott posted:

What games were they though? Was it a holiday sale? You can get like 10-50+ games for $75 on a Steam holiday sale if you shop around.

Oh, good, that justifies taking your girlfriend's cosmetics money for loving computer games and then telling her that she's too fat and ugly to date ever since you forced her to not use cosmetics

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Pick posted:

That last bit had no right being as funny as it is. Either he didn't want to poison you or he didn't think you were worth sharing week-old rice with.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

dudeness posted:

False, using them to make bottle rockets with cardboard fins is extremely cool.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Pick posted:

:owned:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I Was The Fury posted:

Oh, good, that justifies taking your girlfriend's cosmetics money for loving computer games and then telling her that she's too fat and ugly to date ever since you forced her to not use cosmetics

:thejoke:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Batterypowered7 posted:

That last bit had no right being as funny as it is. Either he didn't want to poison you or he didn't think you were worth sharing week-old rice with.

It's the latter which is what makes it funny af

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I thought jokes were meant to be funny.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

I Was The Fury posted:

What the gently caress

I loved him so much :smith:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Pick posted:

Hey Pick, I'm a fat shut in with bad hips and worse social skills, but I promise not to throw out your cupcakes or crawl under trucks. How about it?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Pick posted:

Is it really past tense or are you trying to fool us

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Hey Pick, I'm a fat shut in with bad hips and worse social skills, but I promise not to throw out your cupcakes or crawl under trucks. How about it?

Sorry, these are vital attributes to earn Pick's affections. Alternatives include: being a character in the Hit Video Game Dragon Age 2: The Aging Dragons

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Blue Train posted:

Is it really past tense or are you trying to fool us

It is past tense, but shes building a time machine.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Pick posted:

My Hugh was a slightly weird but very charismatic and cool dude from my program in university. I had stopped thinking about him all the time about 5 years ago, but looked him up on a whim last year after a nasty breakup and found out that he had just gotten married and was a very successful prosecutor for the federal government. And I was pretty bummed for a few days.

And then I few months later I went on a Tinder date with one of his coworkers and that was awkward as gently caress. And now I almost never think about pseudo-Hugh at all.

edited to add that we at least made out a few times.

Bamabalacha fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 2, 2017

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Pick posted:

Sometimes I feel a glimmer of empathy for you because I threw a ton of emotional energy at my autistic ex who wasn't capable of having feelings and I know how much that hurts, but then I remember you got mad and tried to imply he was a pedophile I was allowing to have access to my daughter so

Maybe :therapy: and no, you're not too smart to benefit from it, hardly anyone is

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Nah, a vital component was meeting me in highschool when at the time I had never met anyone else my age with a skeletal disorder.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Barudak posted:

It is past tense, but shes building a time machine.

Lol

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Pick posted:

Nah, a vital component was meeting me in highschool when at the time I had never met anyone else my age with a skeletal disorder.

My mom has always said to me "don't be with someone just because they are broken in the same ways you are".

She meant it more mentally, but it still holds up!

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Pick posted:

What was his deal anyway? I know you said he wasn't always in the wheelchair

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bamabalacha posted:

My mom has always said to me "don't be with someone just because they are broken in the same ways you are".

That's true, also in part because you should want someone who is broken in a complementary way. I mean, broken in such a different way that your respective brokennesses make for one kinda functional person. For example, I am extroverted, friendly, and know how to cook, which could balance out his introverted nature and old-rice-eating.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It doesn't work that way. That ends up in horrible needy dysfunctional relationships.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Is there any other kind?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Blue Train posted:

Is there any other kind?

Some people are in a relationship but dont spend any time together at all but cant imagine living separately so they just sort of function like a business partnership.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
all attachment is suffering, all love is suffering, all connection is suffering, all communication is inherently flawed and will always fail, hth

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Pick posted:

That's true, also in part because you should want someone who is broken in a complementary way. I mean, broken in such a different way that your respective brokennesses make for one kinda functional person. For example, I am extroverted, friendly, and know how to cook, which could balance out his introverted nature and old-rice-eating.

She busted it out when I was whining about the problems I was having with boyfriend junior year of university. We were both depressed at the time and ended up feeding into each other I guess. And while you're right that complimentary but opposite weirdness can be a positive, it's much better when you come out of your wonkass shell and become better for the other person.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Bamabalacha posted:

Arachnodactyly ain't even one of the bad skeletal disorders. Pick's probably got some saxophone-playing hands. She can probably palm a basketball!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bamabalacha posted:

She busted it out when I was whining about the problems I was having with boyfriend junior year of university. We were both depressed at the time and ended up feeding into each other I guess. And while you're right that complimentary but opposite weirdness can be a positive, it's much better when you come out of your wonkass shell and become better for the other person.

To be honest, it's best to just be the best person you can be and be with the best possible other person, haha. Any other romantic notion is probably not going to pan out.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Arachnodactyly ain't even one of the bad skeletal disorders. Pick's probably got some saxophone-playing hands. She can probably palm a basketball!

Marfans can and does kill, I get an electrocardiogram every 6 months to make sure my heart probably isn't going to explode in the near future.

Barudak posted:

Some people are in a relationship but dont spend any time together at all but cant imagine living separately so they just sort of function like a business partnership.

But then gently caress each other like three times a year? Hehe what a firm.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

dudeness posted:

Agreed. Have you ever had water out of an old 2L bottle? It tastes weird and I have no words to describe it. It's just... off. and gross.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Yawgmoth posted:

Agreed. Have you ever had water out of an old 2L bottle? It tastes weird and I have no words to describe it. It's just... off. and gross.

Offset the weird flavor with extra Tang.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Pick posted:

Am I strange if I'm dating a fairly ordinary nerdy woman who somehow likes my awkward rear end and I was never looking for someone broken or intensely flawed? I wonder if wanting a normal relationship in this day and age is a "sex weird".

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
[29F] engaged to [27M]. We've been together for 9 years but I can't commit to any wedding plans because I'm ugly and he's handsome and I hate being in photos with him.Personal issues
93 points 110 comments submitted 10 months ago by yesimhideous to r/relationships

The title explains it all.

I am ugly as sin. No, I am not fat and I have never been overweight. There is no easy fix for me. There is no amount of fancy clothes, weight loss or make up in the world that could make me look halfway decent. I'm 5'7" and weigh between 130-135 lbs so I would say that I'm about average. I've been called a butterface more times than I can count. I have a long narrow face and a long chin. To make matters worse I was hit by a car in 2011, landed on my face and knocked out my 4 front teeth and had to get veneers. They look alright. It's really just my face. It's hideous. I've known that I was ugly my entire life. Knowing that I am ugly I tried to develop hobbies, pursue a good career, and have a have a sense of humor.

I met my fiancé in college. He was a freshman and I was a junior. We had an economics course together. One day we had an exam and he forgot his calculator and I had two so I let him borrow one. I finished the exam first and left. Later that evening I was studying in the library and he happened to show up. He returned my calculator and thanked me. I asked him if he wanted to hang sometime and he said sure. We exchanged numbers and the rest is history. We've been together for 9 years. We have a nice apartment and an adorable puppy. We got engaged 2 years ago. For all intents and purposes, life is sweet.

My biggest problem is that my fiancé's family is really pushing for a big wedding. I am wedding-phobic and camera shy. I loathe being the center of attention. I don't want any pictures with my fiancé because it reminds me of how much he's settling. It's been 2 years since the engagement and I can't seem to get the ball rolling on any wedding plans. I've explained all my insecurities to my fiancé. He knows how I feel but he thinks I'm being dramatic and that I should suck it up because it's only one day and it would make his family happy.

The most infuriating part of this whole mess is that I can't seem to have an honest conversation with my fiancé about my looks. He always insists that I am not ugly. I know he's lying to protect my feelings. I've come to terms with being ugly. Some people are ugly. I have a good career. I make friends easily. I have confidence in my personality. Hopefully he likes me for all of my positive traits. The truth is that he barely has sex with me. I feel like we're just best friends and I don't think even he can bare to look at me.

I am wondering whether or not I should just break the engagement and move on with my life. I love my fiancé but I think he can do better. I KNOW he can do better. I have no idea why he asked me to get married. Sometimes I think it's because he just feels bad for me.

TL;DR: I am ugly and my fiancé is handsome. I look like a monster next to him. I don't want to be in any wedding photos with him. I am wondering whether I should break things off with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Pick posted:

Marfans can and does kill, I get an electrocardiogram every 6 months to make sure my heart probably isn't going to explode in the near future.

Have you avoided the whole detached retinas thing?