Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
literally at "how can racism exist, if black man president"

come on thread, you are better than that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

That's not at all what I said.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Accretionist posted:

The 'debate genderswap' is hilarious because boyHillary nails her speech and mannerisms and comes off even worse than she does.

This actually helped open my eyes about how voters saw Trump. When you take away both of their histories, using only what they said in the debate, the actress comes across very strong.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The woman in the staged debate makes Trump's performance seem as a product of a strength of convictions, rather than cynicism and her forceful gesticulation and language seem empowered rather than arrogant. Naturally when we look at Real World Trump, the same words and behaviors gain their negative connotations because of what we know of Trump the person with a history, and it is pretty easy to see how people with less of a pre-formed opinion would not have the same reaction.

The man still comes off as an ineffectual pedant whose only defense is "I'm right because I say so". In fact he comes off worse because he doesn't induce the nagging feeling in my head of "So many people say she's smart and talented, maybe I'm wrong about her, maybe they see something I'm missing, or maybe I really am biased." He's just some dude in a suit being slapped around, and it's painful to watch.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jun 2, 2017

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!

Jaxyon posted:

If ( black_president == true)
{
b_racism = false;
}
else if (trump_president == true)
{
b_racism = true;
}

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

The same irredeemable racists who voted for Trump also voted for a man called BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA but what can you do, it's racism Jake.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Al Franken's book "Giant of the Senate" just came out recently. Anyone given it a read yet?

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Nanomashoes posted:

Trump wound up getting about the same amount of votes as Romney and McCain, no, I don't think so.

This oft- repeated talking point is really dumb and wrong. Morons here really need to get it through their thick loving skull that we don't elect presidents through popular vote. Trump crushed mccain and Romney in places like Florida, you know- the states that actually matter!!

Who gives a gently caress that Hillary ran up the scoreboard in ny and ca, it literally does not matter in any way whatsoever.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Jaxyon posted:

Constantly coming back to racism as the reason the white woman lost is also a really loving stupid thing idiots here like to do. Anything to avoid the truth that is right in front of you. Hilary loving sucked and losing is totally and completely her fault.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Mister Facetious posted:

Al Franken's book "Giant of the Senate" just came out recently. Anyone given it a read yet?

I started the other day. I have the audio version, which he reads, which probably adds a level since there's no bad delivery.

It's pretty good so far. A lot of decent jokes, it's more of a biography with the aim of explaining how/why he got political

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

Constantly coming back to racism as the reason the white woman lost is also a really loving stupid thing idiots here like to do. Anything to avoid the truth that is right in front of you. Hilary loving sucked and losing is totally and completely her fault.

You know people don't say that people they were racist against Hillary they say it because Trump's entire platform was "brown people the devil and the cause of all your trouble I will destroy the brown people and everything will be great again"

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

I started the other day. I have the audio version, which he reads, which probably adds a level since there's no bad delivery.

It's pretty good so far. A lot of decent jokes, it's more of a biography with the aim of explaining how/why he got political

Audible owns. :hfive:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

¿Por que no los dos?

kenner116
May 15, 2009

socialsecurity posted:

You know people don't say that people they were racist against Hillary they say it because Trump's entire platform was "brown people the devil and the cause of all your trouble I will destroy the brown people and everything will be great again"

How does anyone not know this.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Resistance update:

https://twitter.com/haaretzcom/status/870434335450578945

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Jaxyon posted:

the whole "it's donald trump it shouldn't have been close" ignores a whole lot of stuff he ran on

Regarding the whole "Trump voters were most influenced by racism" point (and all other points that attempt to define "Trump voters"), there are (at least) three important subsets that must be considered to do an analysis that has any chance of actually being useful (and most articles in the media I've seen don't correctly account for this stuff):

- Whether voters consistently vote Republican in presidential elections, because voters who have a reasonable chance of switching sides are electorally more important than ones who always vote Republican.

- Whether voters live in areas relevant to presidential elections (i.e. swing states). It doesn't matter if most Trump voters prioritize racism if the "most" in question are located in non-swing states.

- Whether voters voted for Trump in the primary (since these are Republican voters who specifically preferred Trump over other Republicans). I remember seeing this one article talking about how Trump voters were more wealthy than average, while ignoring the facts that 1. Republican primary voters are on average more wealthy than the rest of the population and 2. Trump primary voters were less well off than other Republican primary voters (and I believe cared more about economic issues as well, though I could be wrong about that).

The important thing to keep in mind is that it's entirely possible for (for example) just 10% of Trump voters to care most about issues other than racism, and for that 10% to still be very important electorally. Articles/studies pointing out that most Trump voters care about racism aren't useful unless they make some attempt to control for all these factors. "Most Trump voters are motivated by racism" is not mutually exclusive with "people motivated to vote Trump for economic reasons were electorally important."

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

kenner116 posted:

How does anyone not know this.

Literally everybody here knows this and has acknowledged it. What we contest is the suggestion that that is the only significant factor.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

This oft- repeated talking point is really dumb and wrong. Morons here really need to get it through their thick loving skull that we don't elect presidents through popular vote. Trump crushed mccain and Romney in places like Florida, you know- the states that actually matter!!
Total vote counts in Florida went up election over election (and significantly between 2012 and 2016), and McCain got 48.22%, Romney got 49.13% and Trump got 49.02% of the vote. I can't find a definition of crushed that fits here unless you're just reading raw numbers regardless of context. Obviously Johnson, and to a lesser extent Stein, was a factor in Florida, but I feel like Johnson and Stein voters are weird enough it's hard to read their intentions.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

twodot posted:

but I feel like Johnson and Stein voters are weird enough it's hard to read their intentions.

Ooh ooh, I know this! Ahem...

"The moon will crash into Lake Michigan before Trump gets a SCOTUS nominee through!:downs:"

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jaxyon posted:

11/7/16 - "Hillary's assured blowout defeat of Trump will prove that the coalition of the ascendant dominates American politics, and that his campaign was a dumpster fire. She might win Texas!"
11/9/16 - "Hillary's inevitable preordained loss to Trump has proven that America is irredeemably racist, and that he's a political genius with iron self-discipline who ran a perfect campaign. It wasn't her fault!"

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

To be fair other than that dumb "Cambridge Analytica were geniuses!" talking point that was floating around for about a week not too many people have pushed that Trump's campaign was highly competent.

Hahaha

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Ooooh, be prepared for a finger wagging, Donald.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

twodot posted:

Total vote counts in Florida went up election over election (and significantly between 2012 and 2016), and McCain got 48.22%, Romney got 49.13% and Trump got 49.02% of the vote. I can't find a definition of crushed that fits here unless you're just reading raw numbers regardless of context. Obviously Johnson, and to a lesser extent Stein, was a factor in Florida, but I feel like Johnson and Stein voters are weird enough it's hard to read their intentions.

It's not hard at all. Johnson voters are mostly people who would vote for a Republican if they had to choose between the two, and Stein voters are almost entirely people who would for for a Democrat given the same choice. (And McMullin voters were pretty much all dyed-in-the-wool Republicans.) The fact that almost seven million people voted for those three unserious third-party candidates is at least as much a testament to the two main party candidates' inability to connect with their own voters as it is to those third-party voters' weirdness.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Yes, I know Trump got different voters than Romney. Do you think the people of Ohio and Pennsylvania are more racist than average and they turned out big for racism in those states or do you think that his victory had to do much more with Hillary running a lovely campaign?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Majorian posted:

Literally everybody here knows this and has acknowledged it. What we contest is the suggestion that that is the only significant factor.

"Oh, so it's not okay to question man causing climate change, but it's okay to question how Trump won!?!" :rolleye: etc. etc.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I mean, hey, when the President personally donated to your election efforts, you don't wanna #resist toooooo muuuch.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

gtrmp posted:

It's not hard at all. Johnson voters are mostly people who would vote for a Republican if they had to choose between the two, and Stein voters are almost entirely people who would for for a Democrat given the same choice.
It's certainly not this simple. Third party voters in Florida are either indifferent to the outcome of the election, or total idiots who don't understand how to achieve goals. If they're indifferent to the outcome, while they might break one way more often than the other, it seems a lot more likely that they just don't vote. If they are idiots who aren't able to connect actions to consequences, then modeling their behavior seems foolish at best.

quote:

The fact that almost seven million people voted for those three unserious third-party candidates is at least as much a testament to the two main party candidates' inability to connect with their own voters as it is to those third-party voters' weirdness.
No, political parties necessarily need to leave some people behind. If there's 7 million people who will only vote for an candidate that says aliens live in their butt, then those voters will only ever vote for fringe politicians. The existence of people with fringe views isn't a failure of major political parties. People with fringe views in swing states not caring about the outcome of the Presidential election and insisting on voting based on their fringe views is entirely on the people voting.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Why can't racism and "Hillary ran a bad campaign" both exist as reasons she lost?

I don't understand why some people in this thread are so unwilling to discuss the role of racism in this election. Why does any discussion of race's impact on this election get extrapolated to "Hillary did nothing wrong"?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

fsif posted:

Why can't racism and "Hillary ran a bad campaign" both exist as reasons she lost?

I don't understand why some people in this thread are so unwilling to discuss the role of racism in this election. Why does any discussion of race's impact on this election get extrapolated to "Hillary did nothing wrong"?
Personally, it seems really suspicious to me that people are recently focusing a lot on how racism interacts with elections, when attracting racist voters has been an explicit goal of Republicans for decades. There was a major divide over racism in the 60s, the explicitly racist people left the Democrats and joined the Republicans, and now Republican politicians get the racist vote. This should be well understood.
edit:
And for people who are just recently coming to this understanding, what are we supposed to do about it? Attract more racist voters? End racism?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

twodot posted:

Personally, it seems really suspicious to me that people are recently focusing a lot on how racism interacts with elections, when attracting racist voters has been an explicit goal of Republicans for decades. There was a major divide over racism in the 60s, the explicitly racist people left the Democrats and joined the Republicans, and now Republican politicians get the racist vote. This should be well understood.
edit:
And for people who are just recently coming to this understanding, what are we supposed to do about it? Attract more racist voters? End racism?

People focus on racism every election, but this one was notable because you had David Duke arise from his rathole to stan for Trump. You had a very visible rise in online white supremacy groups. You had a candidate that started his presidential bid by calling Mexicans rapists. You had a candidate call for the banning of Muslims. He questioned a Mexican judge's ability to do his job impartially, he refused to disavow the KKK, and all his language on jobs more explicitly spoke of foreigners stealing our jobs than recent Republicans past.

Race was all over this election. People might want to talk about it for a reason other than deflecting blame from their yaaas queen.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

twodot posted:

The existence of people with fringe views isn't a failure of major political parties.

Sure it is. Major political parties have annihilated public education funding and have squandered any sort of "maybe they are working for us" sort of good will. The past 50 years of failure by the neoliberal economic establishment have come home to roost, it's entirely their fault that the most popular politician in America isn't a Democrat or Republican and honestly I don't really see how you can blame the third party voter who just doesn't want to vote for someone who's going to keep bombing children overseas (even if most third party candidates would do this, it's a guarantee that either of the major parties will)

Faith in instututions is at a fifty year low because those institutions have largely failed over the past 50 years.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Barbe Rouge posted:

The same irredeemable racists who voted for Trump also voted for a man called BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA but what can you do, it's racism Jake.

Yes, some people who voted for Obama were able to ignore racist rhetoric to vote for Trump because they are white. Therefore, racism isn't a factor.

The hottest of takes

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Jaxyon posted:

Yes, some people who voted for Obama were able to ignore racist rhetoric to vote for Trump because they are white.
Alternatively, Hillary was a horrific candidate who energized nobody and Trump just won by default because he appeared to be living as opposed to an undead.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

Yes, some people who voted for Obama were able to ignore racist rhetoric to vote for Trump because they are white. Therefore, racism isn't a factor.

The hottest of takes

So what is your solution? What's the point of saying "racism was a factor" over and over? How will it make us better the next time around?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

NewForumSoftware posted:

Alternatively, Hillary was a horrific candidate who energized nobody and Trump just won by default because he appeared to be living as opposed to an undead.

lol no wait there's a dumber take

Nice custom title

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

So what is your solution? What's the point of saying "racism" over and over?

To ensure the next Democratic candidate won't threaten to raise his taxes of course.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

WampaLord posted:

So what is your solution? What's the point of saying "racism was a factor" over and over? How will it make us better the next time around?

"If you can't solve racism why are you talking about HUH"

And this is why we don't talk about cancer

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Jaxyon posted:

Maybe make a thread about how racism still exists in 2017 (my god, shocking) instead of posting "But did you know some voters were racist?!" in the Democrats thread. Who do you think disagrees with you exactly?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

I honestly don't understand the point of your posts. Have fun shouting at goons, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

twodot posted:

edit:

At the same time it's obvious the significance of racism on its own isn't significant enough to block Dem victory alone. Just as social progressives aren't enough to block GOP on their own.

For the second part - people are the product of their environment. Relying on people from areas with prevalent racist discourse to change themselves without an external actor effecting change is like expecting an inert liquid to escape its vessel. The solution is not to "end racism", which is a deliberately dumb way to talk about the issue, it is to replace the factors that attract people to racial bigotry with superior substitutes that fulfill the same social functions as the current parochialism, and / or to provide enough material incentives to outweigh the cost for an individual of breaking away from conformism.

Demanding that people first start acting more enlightened just to make themselves deserving of some attention from their politicians is the liberal side of the bootstraps mentality.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 2, 2017

• Locked thread