Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nopants
May 29, 2004
episode one is gonna start with the tad omalley character showing up on mulder's door step. it turns out tad can't remember any of the recent events, except that he ate a big bowl of zebra chili

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

A Hangover episode except its the X-Files to start this season off would be too good to be true

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Its going to start with Alex Krycek at a book signing for the 12th book of his X Files series

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
It's kinda crazy how quickly you can go from being really excited about new X-Files to being almost filled with dread at the prospect. :ohdear:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Eh, just do what everyone should have done for the past 4 seasons; ignore the myth-arc and anything else written by Carter. Try to enjoy the rest.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Eh, just do what everyone should have done for the past 4 seasons; ignore the myth-arc and anything else written by Carter. Try to enjoy the rest.

I know this is an unpopular opinion, and I'm not saying it was great or anything, but I enjoyed the myth-arc pre-Season 10.

In fact, other than watching X-Files live as it aired sporadically when I was ages 10-17 (so about s1-8), my next re-watch was around 2007-08 and it was...only the myth-arc episodes. Yep.

It wasn't until late 2015 that I actually re-watched the whole thing, every episode, up until some of Season 9 and then I just lost interest. I have Season 10 to thank as the impetus for that latest watch-thru though.

I guess I'm not your average test case when it comes to this show.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Longbaugh01 posted:

It's kinda crazy how quickly you can go from being really excited about new X-Files to being almost filled with dread at the prospect. :ohdear:

I'm not going to bother with the new season if I don't hear really good things about it. If Gilligan writes an episode maybe I'll check that out either way.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I'd love to see a new Gilligan episode, especially since his X-Files work was early in his career and his writing is sharper now, but I doubt they'd get him back. His entire focus is on Better Call Saul right now.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Wouldn't BCS be done with production for the current season by the time TXFs shooting begins in summer? Surely he can spare a draft during the lull between seasons

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Soft Shell Crab posted:

If Gilligan writes an episode maybe I'll check that out either way.

I didn't realize this is a thing I wanted until just now.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'd love to see a new Gilligan episode, especially since his X-Files work was early in his career and his writing is sharper now, but I doubt they'd get him back. His entire focus is on Better Call Saul right now.

Well, it says these new episodes enter production this summer. BCE ends this June. He could have enough time to write one episode at least. Writing for a fourth season of BCS probably wouldn't start until end of summer/beginning of fall. With BCS's production schedule, I'm guessing he takes most of the summer off anyway. The bigger time consideration is when they say these new episodes start production this summer, do they mean that all/majority of episodes are already written before then or not.

And I know this is a pipe dream, but it'd be great that if he does do an episode, Cranston and maybe Michael McKean could come back for a nice little Gilligan/X-Files/BB-universe reunion.

Also, that article reminded me that Gillian Anderson is in American Gods and I had totally forgotten about that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ignis posted:

Wouldn't BCS be done with production for the current season by the time TXFs shooting begins in summer? Surely he can spare a draft during the lull between seasons

Depends on how long this upcoming writers' strike lasts.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
If the timing's right they can probably get anyone back. If they can't get Vince Gilligan, I'm hoping for Frank Spotnitz at least.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The standalones they just did were bad too.

I'm a huge X-Files fan but yeah I'm not watching this unless it gets raving reviews. Season 10 was bad bad bad and I can't believe they're doing another one.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I thought most of the new MotW were pretty decent to good actually. Not peak season 3-4 good but still entertaining. It's really Carter's inability to put together even a mini-arc that tanked the season overall IMO.

Fox should hand over the rights to Disney or something and have their faceless corporate drones reboot the series or something.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

mobby_6kl posted:

Fox should hand over the rights to Disney or something and have their faceless corporate drones reboot the series or something.

Gonna assume you're being facetious since the alternative is too terrible to contemplate and not the best way forward for any creative work.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Longbaugh01 posted:

Gonna assume you're being facetious since the alternative is too terrible to contemplate and not the best way forward for any creative work.

Compare the prequels to the Star Wars movies that have come out since Disney. Are you sure you feel that way?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Compare the prequels to the Star Wars movies that have come out since Disney. Are you sure you feel that way?

I know that was mostly a joke response, but three things:
1. That's just one very narrow and specific example.
2. Even if there's more complete "misses", I'd still prefer more unique, creative end products than more homogenized, in-offensive, and middle-of-the-road end products designed to maximize audiences and therefore profit. (Doesn't mean I don't oftentimes enjoy those end results.) And I'd hope other people do too, even if I know it's mostly a losing battle.
3. I don't think something like the original run of the X-Files could have come from that environment.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
I prefer the The Wrath of Khan approach. Boot Carter upstairs and put the characters and stories in the hands of some brand new talent. Someone who understands who Mulder and Scully are and what they are about, while still bringing in a fresh perspective and new ideas.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
As serious as Skully's cancer.

Of course I'd prefer an auteur's vision to whatever Disney is doing, but at this point it's obvious that CC completely lost the plot and shouldn't be writing this stuff.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Yeah, I mean like let Bryan Fuller or someone like that have a try.

(Or, you know, maybe this guy named Vince Gilligan after he's done with BCS.)

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Longbaugh01 posted:

Yeah, I mean like let Bryan Fuller or someone like that have a try.

Not sure how much free time he'll have since he is doing American Gods. but I would love any reason for there to be more Bryan Fuller stuff out there. And I think he could do a lot of stuff with the X-Files.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Provided he bothers to finish production, that is. Fuller likes to take his time, and that gets him in trouble with big networks.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

While I'd love another Darin Morgan episode and for Vince Gilligan to be able to do one, I really hope they just bring in some new people too. There are plenty of really talented people who got into TV since 2002 who I'm sure would love to just do an X-Files MOTW.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

I really want to know if that "Terrorism!!!" episode had been kicking around in someone's mind since like, a month after 9/11.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'd love to see Tim Minear come back and have another crack at an episode. Ben Edlund could be fun. Michael Taylor, if he's not too busy with Into The Badlands. Jane Espenson's always a fun writer. Paul Grellong was the mastermind behind Revolution's comeback season, he might have something cool up his sleeve. John Enbom and Diane Ruggerio are hilarious.

That said, I'm surprised by how many jobbing writers I can't name. It's very much the era of the showrunner these days, and not of the episode author.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 29, 2017

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
If we're talking outside writers, I'd like to see what Ronald D. Moore could do with an episode.

FrakkinCylon
Apr 25, 2008

My folks went to Caprica and all I got was this frakking avatar.

sticklefifer posted:

If we're talking outside writers, I'd like to see what Ronald D. Moore could do with an episode.

Scully would turn out to just be a literal angel, Mulder would hear some weird music and discover he actually IS an alien.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Glen and Darin are coming back, for 2 and 1 episodes each.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I thought the season 10 opener was the worst X files episode ever by a long mile, but now I'm four episodes in, and what I can say is, at least it wasn't also insanely boring.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

TFA sucked.

The prequels were at least pretty to look at and tried new things. Honestly, if they had another pass on the dialogue and a better director they would have been ok

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
They should reveal that the alien invasion promised at the end of season 9 already happened, the aliens have perfect replica human bodies, and that the aliens are mad their candidate lost the last election.

The US government is currently embroiled in a massive internal shadow war between aliens and humans. The FBI is neutral

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FrakkinCylon posted:

Scully would turn out to just be a literal angel, Mulder would hear some weird music and discover he actually IS an alien.

Username/post excellence.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

The US government is currently embroiled in a massive internal shadow war between aliens and humans. The FBI is neutral

I mean, this actually was a big thing in 1980s alien conspiracy theories, with the Dulce Base and Reagan's treaty with the Greys. I'm sure Chris Carter knew about that stream of thought.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Ok ok, here's an idea. An x files reboot where original mulder and scully are different characters that just guest occasionally.

And the show runner is Steven Moffat

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Ok ok, here's an idea. An x files reboot where original mulder and scully are different characters that just guest occasionally.

They already tried that and it turns out Robert Patrick wasn't enough.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

At first I was sad that Robert Patrick wasn't able to come back for season 10 but thank god he didn't for that travesty.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Hemingway To Go! posted:

This except its a Bryan Fuller and David Lynch joint production

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

(David Lynch, portraying me, yelling at the X-Files writers, represented by David Duchovny): Fix your plotlines or die!!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I basically think almost ANYONE except Chris Carter could pull off a reboot.

You could even tie it to the original now that people think they're in the wrong universe because they misremembered poo poo. A mandela effect episode. Though there were people reporting that they woke up in the wrong family and such years before...

But anyway people have been recasting and rewriting Sherlock Holmes for years, I think a good show runner who is not senile could do the series right someday.

I am kind of joking about Moffat, though when he's doing just one mystery or monster at a time and not a full series he can do some good poo poo that would be x-files motw worthy, he's probably a lot of people's first picks but he'd still screw up a long term plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Moffat's career as a showrunner has been a disaster. I wouldn't trust him with anything longer than a two-parter.

• Locked thread