Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Toilet Rascal
A nuke might lose some energy through sheer radiation but I don't think volcanoes work like that, all their energy is expressed through heating and moving rock and none of that is going to escape the Earth.

Escape velocity is FAST, to get there you need sustained and carefully directed thrust along with some way to mitigate air resistance (like going slowly at first and then speeding up later, which no natural process will do). Even that infamous manhole cover almost certainly vaporized long before making it out of the atmosphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Slanderer posted:

I'm honestly more concerned about letting all that liquid nitrogen evaporate indoors. I guess his kitchen wasn't enclosed enough for that to be a problem, but yeah, don't gently caress with nitrogen in an enclosed space

Especially considering I'm 99% sure that's a second kitchen in a basement workshop area, which means likely even less ventilation than the ground floor.

But yeah, the dude is really on thin ice and once of these days will hurt himself on something. If nothing else, getting lung cancer from inhaling all the fumes from his "backyard foundry."

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I give him about another year-ish before he accidentally releases concentrated phosgene in his "laboratory."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
That reminds me of Crazy Russian Hacker.

Hello everybody what's up and welcome to my laboratory where safety is number one priority!

This guy does tons of chemical and fire experiments where he clearly has no idea what he is doing, trying something for the first time usually while reading the instructions and trying to film it at the same time.

It's loving great, pro-OSHA click.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Bum the Sad posted:

He's dumping liquid oxygen from a cup onto open flames in his kitchen.

I gotta admit I was expecting far worse. One of the earliest viral internet videos was a college professor who'd do grill-lighting demonstrations by piling some charcoal up in a hibachi, sticking a lit cigarette in the middle, and then pouring a 5-gallon bucket of LOX on it. The cheap metal hibachis like you'd get from Kmart would mostly vaporize.

So I guessed that the potato chip would just poof into nonexistence like flash paper. Nope. Pretty lame. And the styrofoam cup didn't do much more than a styrofoam cup without liquid oxygen would do.

haveblue posted:

Liquid oxygen is basically combustion in material form, not only is it very flammable but it can make things flammable that are not normally flammable.

LOX isn't flammable. It's an oxidizer, not a fuel. If you drop a lit match into a bucket of liquid oxygen, the *match* will burn right the hell up, but the *oxygen* will not catch fire. As soon as the fuel (the match) is exhausted and all turned to CO2, then oxygen will just sit there boiling away. It's so much more reactive than atmospheric oxygen because it's so much denser, there's a lot more oxygen at the interface with the fuel to react with it.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 2, 2017

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Phanatic posted:

So I guessed that the potato chip would just poof into nonexistence like flash paper. Nope. Pretty lame. And the styrofoam cup didn't do much more than a styrofoam cup without liquid oxygen would do.

Do you even get 100% liquid oxygen from just letting liquid nitrogen evaporate or is it some mix?

fake edit: I did a tiny bit of searching and someone on stack exchange says it's about a 50/50 combination of liquid nitrogen and liquid oxygen, so that might explain why he's not still burning.

Phanatic posted:

LOX isn't flammable. It's an oxidizer, not a fuel. If you drop a lit match into a bucket of liquid oxygen, the *match* will burn right the hell up, but the *oxygen* will not catch fire. As soon as the fuel (the match) is exhausted and all turned to CO2, then oxygen will just sit there boiling away. It's so much more reactive than atmospheric oxygen because it's so much denser, there's a lot more oxygen at the interface with the fuel to react with it.

Yeah but the Man from LOX video appears to show 100% LOX+fuel igniting from just shock, like nitroglycerine, so apparently it's not very stable once in contact with a fuel source either.

Obsurveyor fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 2, 2017

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Remembering the bitcoin guy that cooled his rig by tipping over a dewer of liquid nitrogen, I kind of want to see what would happen if you tipped liquid oxygen near a computer that was in danger of overheating.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Obsurveyor posted:

Do you even get 100% liquid oxygen from just letting liquid nitrogen evaporate or is it some mix?

fake edit: I did a tiny bit of searching and someone on stack exchange says it's about a 50/50 combination of liquid nitrogen and liquid oxygen, so that might explain why he's not still burning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7uCBWkrAXo

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Obsurveyor posted:

Ah, yeah, that makes sense. You could maybe hold it at a temperature lower than the boiling point of O2 and higher than the boiling point of N2 and distill it that way, but I don't want to give this guy any more ideas.

nomad2020 posted:

For reference oxygen is what gives the acetylene torch that extra kick to burn steel.

Really it's the acetylene. Oxygen-acetylene burns about 1200F hotter than oxygen-propane, it's even hotter than oxygen and hydrogen. The thing with hydrocarbon fuels (and hydrogen, obviously), is that water is one of the combustion products and that water soaks up a lot of heat. Hydrogen, you're going to get a 2 mols of H2O for every mole of O2. Propane is C3H8, you're going to get even more water per quantity of O2. But acetylene's just C2H2, so there's not water being generated per quantity of O2 being turned into CO2 and H20. The flame temperature is insanely high, because there's not much water to damp it down.

Acetylene's scary all on its own. Store it at high pressures (where high pressures means about 2 atmospheres, so not much) , and it can spontaneously self-react and blow the hell up. So cannisters of it for welding aren't straight acetylene, it's acetylene dissolved in acetone in a big clay sponge.

oohhboy posted:

I asked because supposedly one of the reasons the Tsar Bomba got dialled back from 100MT to 50MT was that a massive amount of the energy would get lost to space rendering a bigger bomb pointless. It think it might have been other than all that engery getting radiated out was the fireball would have enough energy to "Get out" as it were dispersing outside of the atmosphere.

The other reason was that it would generate an ungodly amount of fallout.

Tsar Bomba was already militarily useless for that reason, 50MT is way above the "wasting most of the energy by radiating out into space" level. 10 5 megaton devices would be way more efficient at killing people and breaking things, and 100 500 kiloton devices even moreso.

Obsurveyor posted:

Yeah but the Man from LOX video appears to show 100% LOX+fuel igniting from just shock, like nitroglycerine, so apparently it's not very stable once in contact with a fuel source either.

Oh, definitely. If it's in contact with a fuel it doesn't take much to get ignition going. That's how the one SpaceX rocket blew the gently caress up on the pad. Inside the LOX tank is a smaller tank, filled with liquid helium, which vents from that tank to pressurize the LOX. The helium tank is a composite overwrapped pressure vessel. And SpaceX supercools the LOX so it's denser and they can fit more in the tank. Turns out the COPV had some voids in the carbon-fiber wrappings, and these voids were infiltrated by LOX, and then between the the fact that the oxygen was already supercooled, and the fact that liquid helium is even colder than that, the oxygen filling those voids actually froze. So now you've got very thin carbon fibers in direct contact with oxygen ice, and all it takes is the smallest bit of friction (like, say, from a single one of those carbon fibers snapping), and you are not going to space today.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 2, 2017

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Yes but like a lot of military things it's partially about having a bigger doomwang than the other guy.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Obsurveyor posted:

Yeah, no this isn't how it works at all. Liquid oxygen is as stable as oxygen (ie, highly reactive), it's just cold and dense. IDK what exactly is being showing at 1:12 because the quality is too low, but after watching it a few times I'm pretty sure it is an ignition source (maybe that's a cigarette?) on top of what might be fabric (with a spill of something on it--grease? fuel?).

LO2 safety involves staying away from ignition sources, but not because you ignite the LO2 (lol), but because that much oxygen changes the dynamics of combustion---so a lot of the safety is keeping things that could become fuel out of the area (along with the cryogenic hazards).If you're a mechanic working on an aircraft in an oxygen-rich environment and you splash some LO2 on your coveralls (which have some grease on them), then a small spark created by a tool that would normally be harmless is able to burn much hotter, hit your clothing and quickly volatilize the grease (which normally wouldnt happen so easily), and causing your clothing to burst into flame immediately (or explosively, depending on how quickly that grease volatilizes).

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Two inches? Try more than 3 feet in the closest states. The entire southern 50 will be covered by ash to some extent as well as large chunks of Canada and Mexico, plunging pretty much most of the continent into the equivalent of nuclear winter.

http://www.livescience.com/20714-yellowstone-supervolcano-eruption.html

An eruption that would deposit that much on the ground would also throw up a whole poo poo load into the atmosphere. It'd be like a nuclear winter around the whole world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Without_a_Summer

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Phanatic posted:

Really it's the acetylene. Oxygen-acetylene burns about 1200F hotter than oxygen-propane, it's even hotter than oxygen and hydrogen. The thing with hydrocarbon fuels (and hydrogen, obviously), is that water is one of the combustion products and that water soaks up a lot of heat. Hydrogen, you're going to get a 2 mols of H2O for every mole of O2. Propane is C3H8, you're going to get even more water per quantity of O2. But acetylene's just C2H2, so there's not water being generated per quantity of O2 being turned into CO2 and H20. The flame temperature is insanely high, because there's not much water to damp it down.

This is still missing a key part of how an oxyacetylene torch "burns steel." Yes, the flame is extremely hot, because

1) acetylene burns hotter than many other fuels (it's not entirely because of the water thing you've mentioned, though that is a contributing factor -- it's primarily because it's triple-bonded and breaking that triple bond liberates a lot of energy).
2) giving the fuel enough oxygen to burn stoichiometrically (i.e., at the ideal chemical ratio) allows it to produce energy as quickly as possible

but that's not enough to cut steel. Heat up a steel plate with an oxyacetylene torch and it will quickly glow red hot, then start to melt, but slowly. A cutting torch has a ring of oxyacetylene jets surrounding a single nozzle that emits pure oxygen. You ignite the jets, heat the cut-zone of your part up to cherry-red, then pull a trigger to activate the oxygen blast. The pure oxygen reacts instantly with the hot steel, converting it to iron oxide ("rusting" it in a fraction of a second), and iron oxide melts at a lower temperature than elemental iron, so it instantly liquefies and is blasted out of the bottom of the cut by the oxygen pressure.

:science:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
So it's not about 'getting it hot enough to melt', but about 'getting it hot enough so when you add oxygen it rusts to nothing in that specific area'?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yep p much.

The metal will still melt with just the torch heat, but it's like melting an ice cube with a lighter. It's slow, the metal drips out bit by bit, sometimes it stays stuck to the rest of the part with surface tension, the heat spreads and makes the cut unpredictable and warps the rest of the part. It's not very effective. (That is how you weld parts with a torch, but not how you cut them. Two different types of torch).

By heating the metal to just under its melting point and then selectively blasting oxygen only where you need it, literally burning the metal out in a narrow zone, you can cut way faster and more precisely.

It also means that cutting metal with a torch is a chemical reaction, not a physical process, which I think is kinda cool.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
It's actually pretty hot though.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Slanderer posted:

Yeah, no this isn't how it works at all. Liquid oxygen is as stable as oxygen (ie, highly reactive), it's just cold and dense. IDK what exactly is being showing at 1:12 because the quality is too low, but after watching it a few times I'm pretty sure it is an ignition source (maybe that's a cigarette?) on top of what might be fabric (with a spill of something on it--grease? fuel?).

I agree at 1:12 it looks like ignition to me too but I thought it must have some kind of shock-stability problems cause the he asked specifically about dropping the tow bar on the gloves @ 2:05. No flame at all present, the gloves just spontaneously explode after they pour LOX on them and drop the tow bar. Maybe a spark from the tow bar hitting the ground?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Chemical reactions can be hot

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

cakesmith handyman posted:

Yes but like a lot of military things it's partially about having a bigger doomwang than the other guy.

Yeah, the initial race was to do with the shittiness of delivery systems meaning you kind of aimed for the general vicinity of a city and used megatonnage to make up for the fact you'd be lucky to hit within 25 miles of where you wanted, but after that it was just for propaganda value - once ICBMs started to be able to get at least to the right area code the size of the weapons was scaled down too.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, the initial race was to do with the shittiness of delivery systems meaning you kind of aimed for the general vicinity of a city and used megatonnage to make up for the fact you'd be lucky to hit within 25 miles of where you wanted, but after that it was just for propaganda value - once ICBMs started to be able to get at least to the right area code the size of the weapons was scaled down too.

Except that the Tsar Bomba was far, far too large to ever be delivered by ICBM. That had nothing to do with why they built it.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Phanatic posted:

Except that the Tsar Bomba was far, far too large to ever be delivered by ICBM. That had nothing to do with why they built it.

Yea, it was specifically designed for propaganda purposes. It had always been overkill for real-world applications - if it was used on England, fallout would have drifted across a large number of other countries. In the US, only 3 cities -New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles - were large enough targets to use for it, but it was so large and unwieldy that even if it had the fuel to reach them (it didn't), it would have been in the air over the U.S for over 8 hours, meaning it would surely be shot down.

The sweet spot for optimal damage against a city is multiple hundred-kiloton warheads anyways, since you do more damage with far less fissile material.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It was worth it for the line "as he said he would, Mr. Khrushchev has exploded his giant bomb"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNCHMoRayJE

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Sagebrush posted:

Yep p much.

The metal will still melt with just the torch heat, but it's like melting an ice cube with a lighter. It's slow, the metal drips out bit by bit, sometimes it stays stuck to the rest of the part with surface tension, the heat spreads and makes the cut unpredictable and warps the rest of the part. It's not very effective. (That is how you weld parts with a torch, but not how you cut them. Two different types of torch).

By heating the metal to just under its melting point and then selectively blasting oxygen only where you need it, literally burning the metal out in a narrow zone, you can cut way faster and more precisely.

It also means that cutting metal with a torch is a chemical reaction, not a physical process, which I think is kinda cool.

ThisOldTony did a pretty good primer on OA, timestamp takes it to the cutting section of the video. He mentions a neat thing, the oxygen-iron combustion is self-sustaining, you can shut off the acetylene and continue cutting just with the oxygen flow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uPAjIOkLVA&t=920s

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also it looks like the digger operator was knocking bricks out off to the side to try and guide the chimney's collapse away from himself and it was only sheer bad luck that it was a direct hit, but on the other hand he's a loving moron for leaving something like that even partially up to chance. There's a reason demolition experts use controlled explosions from a distance.

i have such wonders to show you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUJu4Vsbcc4

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

http://i.imgur.com/t3GgkGI.mp4

Always secure your load.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Ron Jeremy posted:

An eruption that would deposit that much on the ground would also throw up a whole poo poo load into the atmosphere. It'd be like a nuclear winter around the whole world.

Sounds like the perfect counter to climate change to me :unsmigghh:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Hello everybody what's up and welcome to my laboratory where safety is number one priority!

This guy does tons of chemical and fire experiments where he clearly has no idea what he is doing, trying something for the first time usually while reading the instructions and trying to film it at the same time.

Was that the guy/kid that posted the video of the X-ray tube they bought and you could see the shadow of their bones on a sheet of paper when they turned it on?

lordofthefishes
Mar 30, 2008

01000111 01010010 01000101 01000101 01010100 01001001 01001110 01000111 01010011 00100000 01000110 01000101 01001100 01001100 01001111 01010111 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001110 01000001 01000100 01001001 01000001 01001110 01010011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

LOx makes literally everything else super flammable

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monel

A bit late, but almost everything.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

No worries, he can just pretend that's what it looked like when he picked it up.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Obsurveyor posted:

I agree at 1:12 it looks like ignition to me too but I thought it must have some kind of shock-stability problems cause the he asked specifically about dropping the tow bar on the gloves @ 2:05. No flame at all present, the gloves just spontaneously explode after they pour LOX on them and drop the tow bar. Maybe a spark from the tow bar hitting the ground?

A lot of materials become impact-sensitive when soaked in liquid oxygen. The momentary heat and pressure from the impact is enough to ignite the material in an enriched oxygen environment.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

GotLag posted:

A lot of materials become impact-sensitive when soaked in liquid oxygen. The momentary heat and pressure from the impact is enough to ignite the material in an enriched oxygen environment.

And we've come full circle.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I remember seeing a hilarious video where he makes an "air conditioner" by essentially dumping a bunch of dry ice in front of a fan and leaving it in a small unventilated room.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

That sounds like a tempting offer to the suicidally ​inclined in hot climates.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Phanatic posted:

Which is why I said it was for propaganda purposes - the race up to about 2 MT was on fairly sound ground but beyond that it was just willy-waving. Even the Soviets realised they were going too far once it was done, the design of the Tsar Bomba allowed it to go up to 100MT but they scaled it back just because there was no way of delivering it without killing the crew.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Ron Jeremy posted:

For those that have the Supervolcanoes itch, check this bit done by Astronomy Cast. Link is the transcript, video is well.... the video of the podcast.
http://www.astronomycast.com/2017/02/astronomy-cast-ep-440-destroy-and-rebuild-pt-4-supervolcanoes/

quote:

Fraser: And, like, talk about speeds because the speeds are stunning. You get this mixture of rock and water and gasses and dust, and this – the, you know – the pyroclastic – I mean, usually you can’t outrun the pyroclastic flow. That is an understatement. They are going –

Pamela: Yeah.

Fraser: Like, how fast are we talking about here?

Pamela: So, some of these things have been clocked at like 700 kilometers per hour; that’s 450 miles per hour.

Fraser: Yeah, so you have to like – It’s like going almost the speed of sound – from the explosion. Like, there’s no getting away from this.

Pamela: No. No, this is the “you die” stage. It is simply the “you die” stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrc15fzf_nk

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Related, one of the more harrowing bits of history from the Mount St. Helens eruption:

quote:

Before being struck by a series of flows that, at their fastest, would have taken less than a minute to reach his position, Johnston managed to radio his USGS co-workers with the message: "Vancouver! Vancouver! This is it!" Seconds later, the signal from the radio went silent, and all contact with the geologist was lost. Initially, there was some debate as to whether Johnston had survived; records soon showed a radio message from fellow eruption victim and amateur radio operator Gerry Martin, located near the Coldwater peak and farther north of Johnston's position, reporting his sighting of the eruption enveloping the Coldwater II observation post. As the blast overwhelmed Johnston's post, Martin declared solemnly, "Gentlemen, the uh... camper and the car sitting over to the south of me is covered. It's gonna get me, too. I can't get out of here ..." before his radio went silent.

I guess the OSHA in this instance is to stay well the gently caress away from geologically active sites.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Skippy McPants posted:

I guess the OSHA in this instance is to stay well the gently caress away from geologically active sites.

That would mean permanently depopulating some of the most densely populated areas on earth :shrug:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I mean more like immediately geologically active. So less "this will blow up sometime in the next six-hundred years," and more "sometime in the next six months," so please get the gently caress out right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Skippy McPants posted:

I mean more like immediately geologically active. So less "this will blow up sometime in the next six-hundred years," and more "sometime in the next six months," so please get the gently caress out right now.

Still.