Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You basically pay 20 more per month on Verizon than other carriers. The Pixel also is not worth 650 so it depends on how much you want the phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Unless you think that 5mb down is unacceptable, total wireless is the only way to go with Verizon

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

whatever7 posted:

You basically pay 20 more per month on Verizon than other carriers. The Pixel also is not worth 650 so it depends on how much you want the phone.

Says you it's not worth $650.

Also, a single line unlimited plan from t-mobile is only $10 /month less when all things are equal.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yeah, I looked at that recent T-Mobile offer to buy out your Verizon contract and it just wasn't worth it since I'd have to pay like $20/mo more for the service.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I sure as poo poo wouldn't spend retail price on a device that would be rendered obsolete in about 5 months.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

vyst posted:

I sure as poo poo wouldn't spend retail price on a device that would be rendered obsolete in about 5 months.

Read it again. Black Friday deal.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

whatever7 posted:

Seeing how a large portion of people in the US are still on the big 4 and don't know there are other options, the Pixel is absolutely the best phone a user can get, especially if it's at $10/month for that deal. Heck it's the only phone you can get through a carrier, you'd have to buy it outright to bring it anywhere else, which it's also worth btw.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

A Pixel for $240+2 years of phone bill would probably be worth it, but doing business with Verizon for two years absolutely would not.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

All wireless telcos are the devil incarnate. There are no good actors here.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Verizon are kind of special, though I am probably unreasonably holding a grudge from my landline days of yore, when their response to "the phone line is lying in the road and the junction box is ripped away from the house, I am literally looking at it right now" was "duuuuhhhhh, everything looks fine on our end".

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Google Fi has been very win for me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Smythe posted:

Google Fi has been very win for me.

Google Fi isn't a wireless carrier though. It's an MVNO. It's an expensive one at that if you use more than a handful of gb.

Anything more than 5gb and you should be on T-Mobile proper (it's not like having Sprint network grafted on is winning you any significant coverage or throughput.)

Google Fi is great if you are in a very low usage range. But it's also just using two of the four carriers in the US so you aren't really escaping them.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

cage-free egghead posted:

Seeing how a large portion of people in the US are still on the big 4 and don't know there are other options

Care to tell me where my better options are for 3 lines with unlimited everything and no speed limitations? The price to beat is $102/m, taxes inclusive.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Care to tell me where my better options are for 3 lines with unlimited everything and no speed limitations? The price to beat is $102/m, taxes inclusive.

Lmao 102 for 3 unlimited lines? That would get you poo poo all in Canada :smith:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lmao 102 for 3 unlimited lines? That would get you poo poo all in Canada :smith:

By the time Trump's FCC is done with us, I'm sure we'll be in the same boat.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

LastInLine posted:

Who are you getting that from?

My point was more that people don't want to pay full price for devices and that pre paid providers are still relatively uncommon with the general public. Heck I've told people they can save sometimes thousands in a year only to have them scoff at paying $500 once.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

He's on TMO I think, or maybe fi

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

T-Mobile Simple Choice plan. I'll admit it's a sweetheart deal but honestly I've found with at least TMo you can usually get one.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

It makes me angry that TMobiles coverage is so poo poo around here. The maps all show we have coverage, but when you use an actual device it's crap.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Thermopyle posted:

It makes me angry that TMobiles coverage is so poo poo around here. The maps all show we have coverage, but when you use an actual device it's crap.
Same here, as well as Sprint. Luckily there are plenty of MVNO ways to get AT&T service

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well pissbaby will let Sprint buy out Tmo anyway. So bucket up.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Thermopyle posted:

It seems you really have to drill down to the street level map on T-Mobile's website and heed the legend and only look at verified customer data.

At a county level T-Mobile looks great around here, drill down and you see that a lot of it is only "good" coverage which has lofty promises of reception in "most homes and some big buildings."

More damning is the highways corridors in Western PA which mostly only have "fair" coverage which means reception "occasionally indoors."

I'm not really sure how occasional indoor reception even qualifies as "Fair" rather than poor, but ok.

Another good chunk of area (like the whole drive to my sister's house) requires a 1900mhz compatible phone and t-mobile doesn't list the Pixel as being compatible.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

hooah posted:

What advantages does a Chromecast have over Plex + a PS3?

You can cast any random video from virtually any video app on your phone to it, with no separate app to setup, no clunky PS3/4 interface to navigate to find the video etc. Guests can use it too.

With the right app you can stream any web video too.

Downside is that your family can't use it with a simple remote, have to use a phone to control it.

It's probably not the ultimate solution for Plex, but that works fine too.

n.b. Chromecast 1 is buggy and crashes / locks up sometimes. I now have an ultra too, and it's been much better.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I have all three generations of Chromecast and they've all be solid.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

It's the same here but what is really bad is that the voice coverage is much better compared to at&t but LTE doesn't work at all until I get like five miles from my house :mad:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I even have T-Mobile problems on I-5 - more rural sections but still, it's the drat interstate, and THE north-south corridor on the west coast.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I switched to T-Mobile recently and it's perfectly fine, but I came from Verizon and Denver is notoriously lovely for cell service either way, so take that for what you will.

It was an extra $12 a month to get unlimited everything + insurance on our phones compared to the 8GB of shared data we had before. Worth it. (Also not worth being on a Samsung device anymore.)

On Chromecast chat, the 2nd gen owns and it's even cooler if you have one of those new Vizio TVs with Google Cast built in.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 2, 2017

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I liked my Chromecast but it puts a notification on every Android phone (device?) connected to the same network. If somebody dismisses this notification it actually ends playback on your TV/whatever so you're at the mercy of everybody else

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
All the areas I live and visit are well supported by T-Mobile, so that's what I use. I pay $65/month flat for unlimited everything, 10GB tethering, and HD video. And if I use less than 2GB of data that month, I get a $10 credit.

Hopefully their plan to roll out the 600 MHz spectrum by 2020 holds fast. That should help a lot for their coverage problems.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

The Duggler posted:

I liked my Chromecast but it puts a notification on every Android phone (device?) connected to the same network.
Yes it does

quote:

If somebody dismisses this notification it actually ends playback on your TV/whatever so you're at the mercy of everybody else
No it doesn't; they can press the stop button but swiping it away doesn't do poo poo to the playback

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I finally got over myself and bought a g5+ to replace my slowly dying n5.

It is indeed cool and good.

I do miss my lollipop blob people though. See you in heaven, little dancer blob. Still hoping to get O someday and be able to restore them to their former glory.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

nimper posted:

Yes it does

No it doesn't; they can press the stop button but swiping it away doesn't do poo poo to the playback

They have failed to make this clear since the moment they rolled it out. I was sabotaging other people's playback because it appeared as though I was inadvertently casting something, so I shut it off. They really ought to add a confirmation dialog or at least some sort of indication that your device isn't going haywire and that someone else is casting on the network. It's not exactly a stretch that you may be sitting on a network that you don't exclusively control.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

The Duggler posted:

I liked my Chromecast but it puts a notification on every Android phone (device?) connected to the same network. If somebody dismisses this notification it actually ends playback on your TV/whatever so you're at the mercy of everybody else
You can turn this off now using the Google Home app

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

quote:

Hi Steven,

A pleasant day to you!

Thank you for reaching OnePlus Customer support.
This is Alex from OnePlus. we greatly , appreciate.
Your time and effort in reaching out to us. Your concern is of utmost importance and I will be helping you out with your ticket. As much as we would like to give the latest update on the OnePlus 2, we've discontinued updates for dated devices.
But we will continue to support the limited warranty for current users and provide updates and support the best way we can even for OnePlus 2 users.

Let me know if this helps.

Best Regards
Alex

Oneplus 2 released in August 2015, Nougat in August 2016.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

OnePlus zero years of support

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

we greatly, appreciate.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Sereri posted:

I do miss my lollipop blob people though. See you in heaven, little dancer blob. Still hoping to get O someday and be able to restore them to their former glory.

Yeah, about that...

RIP, actually good emojis.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Maybe I'm showing my age here, but gently caress emojis.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

gently caress emojis.

But all hail the gif keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Meme keyboard bad keyboard