Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Good loving job, NYT. You' think they'd get the hint after the first denier article.

They knew exactly what they were doing and they deserve to be flayed alive for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I have to admit, I didn't expect the New York Times's decision to hire Bret Stephens to backfire to this extent so nakedly and so abruptly, heh.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

fsif posted:

I have to admit, I didn't expect the New York Times's decision to hire Bret Stephens to backfire to this extent so nakedly and so abruptly, heh.

Is it actually backfiring?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Radish posted:

Pruitt repeatedly refuses to answer whether Trump thinks climate change is a hoax, so they asked him if he personally believed in climate change and if it was manmade.

His response, paraphrased:

Yes climate change is happening, human activity contributes but it's really hard to measure how much. Look at this NYT article. See, I think there is a lot of uncertainty in the science. I'm not a climate skeptic, I just think there are a lot of climate exaggerists out there.

edit: loving what. Europeans want us to stay in Paris to hurt our economy.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
"Lol, it won't have diplomatic repercussions that we backed out of a global agreement, because we were able to back out of it therefore it isn't real"

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I'm getting burnt out on these pressers. Like what is even the loving point? Getting these toads on record saying reprehensible poo poo DOESN'T DO ANYTHING at this point, since no one is following up. This is pathetic and masturbatory right?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Spicer: this job report is the best in 16 years

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Ahahahahaha that French Restaurant question

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
HOLY :lol:

"Why did you celebrate in a French restaurant last night, was that a symbolic gesture?"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That article is weird, the great grandfather fell down a manhole cover and the mom has down syndrome. The kids don't have recognized disabilities. It's really weird to frame it as some way of life for the poor or something.

Like kathy hurt her shoulder making hoses and I can see trying to frame that as "optional" even though we have no idea if it is. But like, of the 4 generations on disability one of them isn't on disability and two of them seem really undeniably disabled. Like there is just one generation you could even possibly click your tongue and say "well the doctors said she was disabled but as a nobody I doubt it"

I haven't had enough time to dig deep but there's a small cottage industry of journalists writing SSDI hit pieces. The endgame seems to be demonizing SS generally to justify a cut in benefits.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
"They wanted us in the agreement to shackle our economy, that's why they were so happy!"

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Pellisworth posted:

Pruitt repeatedly refuses to answer whether Trump thinks climate change is a hoax, so they asked him if he personally believed in climate change and if it was manmade.

His response, paraphrased:

Yes climate change is happening, human activity contributes but it's really hard to measure how much. Look at this NYT article. See, I think there is a lot of uncertainty in the science. I'm not a climate skeptic, I just think there are a lot of climate exaggerists out there.

edit: loving what. Europeans want us to stay in Paris to hurt our economy.

Ahh. I was hoping it was more in the line of the NYT losing readership than backfiring in the way of Republicans using their dumbasses to push their lovely agenda.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Chard posted:

I'm getting burnt out on these pressers. Like what is even the loving point? Getting these toads on record saying reprehensible poo poo DOESN'T DO ANYTHING at this point, since no one is following up. This is pathetic and masturbatory right?

Let's see what happens when the midterm campaigns start up in earnest.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Chard posted:

Everyone in the country knows who Spicer is, to a much greater degree than previous Press Secretaries. People actually are watching these things now. That matters.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Let's see what happens when the midterm campaigns start up in earnest.

Fair, and worth remembering, even if the current pace is disheartening.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Strap in.

https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/870699079629545473

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
"So, if neither you or Pruitt or apparently anyone else in the admin know whether Trump thinks climate change is a hoax, why does POTUS care about renewable energy?"

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

They look like they are about to kiss.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Rigel posted:

People keep saying this for some silly reason.

No. The answer is no. This isn't Kansas or Montana, if a wave is forming, ossof wins. If he literally loses by one single vote, it's bad for dems.
Maybe I didn't make the tone of my post clear enough, sorry. I am a firm believer that a loss is a loss, and losing by a only small percentage doesn't somehow make it good for Democrats. I was wondering if people would use that argument yet again to claim that this loss still is a good sign.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

BarbarianElephant posted:

They look like they are about to kiss.

it has a real romance novel cover vibe

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Piell posted:

Pruitt again refuses to answer a direct question if Trump believes climate change is a hoax.

Does Pruitt believe climate change is a hoax?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Crows Turn Off posted:

Maybe I didn't make the tone of my post clear enough, sorry. I am a firm believer that a loss is a loss, and losing by a only small percentage doesn't somehow make it good for Democrats. I was wondering if people would use that argument yet again to claim that this loss still is a good sign.

It's not a good thing and nobody thinks it will be good. It isn't the end of the world, but it's worrying and it's also going to make this thread the most dark, nihilistic thing in the universe until at least next fall.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Radish posted:

In addition to Republican officials using one of his columns as justification for pulling out of the Paris accord, the NYT fired their public editor and got rid of her position altogether.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

mango sentinel posted:

No, Pruitt says it's real and humans contribute but it's really hard to measure, guys! He's "not a climate skeptic, but there are a lot of climate exaggerists out there."

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

mango sentinel posted:

He said he thought there was lots of exaggeration about climate change

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

mango sentinel posted:

What does your heart tell you?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

I'm ready for a RWM slapfight between Drudge and Brietbart

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

scuz posted:

"They wanted us in the agreement to shackle our economy, that's why they were so happy!"

So the game mode they picked is "America vs. Everyone".

EndTimesProfit
Jul 1, 2004

Don't worry son, it's just the Smilin' Mighty Jesus!

mango sentinel posted:

If he thought it would produce a cup of oil he would render down his own, still living mother on national television.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Sounds like Spicey took his valium today.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

TheKingofSprings posted:

So the game mode they picked is "America vs. Everyone".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortress_America_(board_game)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

scuz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoSr6ZG2UcU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

fsif posted:

In addition to Republican officials using one of his columns as justification for pulling out of the Paris accord, the NYT fired their public editor and got rid of her position altogether.

What does firing the public editor indicate? Looking into it there's stuff from the national review complaining she was fired for being "too even handed" which in conservative speak means she was pushing right wing lies but I am loath to believe them at their word.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Every now and then people need to be shown this just to see what kind of stakes we're facing as a species.

Late Stage Capitalism.txt

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I'm really glad that the Bannon/Kushner feud is back on. A couple months ago they publicly "made up" but we all knew it wasn't going to last.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

eyebeem posted:

I live in surferville, CA and nobody talks like that. There's literally a surfboard propped up against the wall of the office across the hall from mine. Half of my coworkers surf at lunch.

But yeah, we say the 5/405/15/71/55.

I say dude all the time. To men, women, children, pets, inanimate objects, dude, it does not matter. I don't think I've ever said chyeah or broski.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Pellisworth posted:

No, Pruitt says it's real and humans contribute but it's really hard to measure, guys! He's "not a climate skeptic, but there are a lot of climate exaggerists out there."

It's not like that's a completely inaccurate statement. It is difficult to determine exactly how much human activity has contributed as there are natural forces at work as well, and we don't precisely to what extent human activity has influenced those factors. poo poo is complex. But the answer isn't stick your head in the sand and ignore what evidence there is and also slash funding to research those things and may as well go ahead and pollute like the world has already ended in the meantime.

So still a bullshit answer, not because it's wrong necessarily, but because it's dodgy as gently caress and an admission that he does believe in it and recognizes that we play at least some role in that (if he was telling the truth there) and yet thinks it's less important than corporate profits.

e:
also,

holy poo poo

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
The talking point of "The world applauded when we signed on to Paris because they knew it would hamstring the US economy" is pretty dumb.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MickeyFinn posted:

I say dude all the time. To men, women, children, pets, inanimate objects, dude, it does not matter. I don't think I've ever said chyeah or broski.

Oh, yes, I use "dude" constantly. That and "bud" or "buddy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Pretty sure the rest of the world wants the US economy to be good and cool because it's a huge marketplace for their products

• Locked thread