Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

scaterry posted:

What the heck are reployers used for?

Reploying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

scaterry posted:

What the heck are reployers used for? Is there a lore reason?

The art director really liked their design and refused to remove them from the levels. Eventually the rest of the team gave up and started writing jokes into the text logs about how no-one knows what they are or where they came from.

Personally I completely misread the tone of those text logs and decided that they were probably dangerous objects smuggled onto the station by a hostile actor, so I started piling them up and throwing recycler charges at them. Which might explain why I kept running out of synthetics but had tons of minerals.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My favorite reployer email is one where a guy orders one to his office because everyone else has one... and then sends a second email after it arrives asking someone to come show him what it does. :allears:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
How does someone go through the game and not get a Q-beam? There are so many.

I was seriously asking myself, "aren't these things supposed to be, like, rare ultra-science? Why are there a bunch of them scattered across the station?"

I guess now I know!

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

I was seriously asking myself, "aren't these things supposed to be, like, rare ultra-science? Why are there a bunch of them scattered across the station?"

I guess now I know!
I had to google how to find it because I was getting mad at how much ammo for it I had. After I grabbed the first one the fuckers started tumbling out of cupboards and poo poo just to make me angrier.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

GlyphGryph posted:

Had other poo poo on my mind, I guess

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

GlyphGryph posted:

I guess now I know!

I never found a single one in my whole first playthrough. :shrug:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

scaterry posted:

All Reployers are actually "Even Greater Mimic" enemies that have disguised themselves as a totally unique thing but it also turns out that they're super lazy and they don't bother attacking anything.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
They're just playing the long game and are confident they have it in the bag.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Mimics on weed.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

ErKeL posted:

I had to google how to find it because I was getting mad at how much ammo for it I had. After I grabbed the first one the fuckers started tumbling out of cupboards and poo poo just to make me angrier.

Thank you for this image. I just imagine you looking it up, finding the beam lab, going through all that poo poo then returning to the main quest and opening a door to find a room just littered with Q-beams.

This game has some loot containers with random content, right? I wonder if there might be an element of random chance to it if you miss any of the 4 fixed non-container locations I can think of.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

How many typhon abilities can you buy before the turrets start turning on you? I just got to the point where your robot buddy talks about turrets and how they're specially calibrated to only fire on typhon and obviously that will never be a problem because you're 100% human right? Riiiiigggghhhht???

So I looked it up and yeah. I was just wondering what the limit is? If I take even one will they start opening fire, or can I squeeze in 3-4 before the turrets start getting twitchy?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You can get 1 before they're mad

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bust Rodd posted:

One feather in Prey's cap is how many different posts in this thread were "I just got X and now I'm not scared any more."

For me it was Psychoshock, but I know Security, Leverage 3, Combat Focus have all been different breaking points in the game, and I'd like to think that the gradual shift from feeling like Prey to feeling like a Predator could be a nod towards the unaffiliated title. I also think better nightmare AI for each typhon mod installed and a second neuromodded NPC antagonist could have contributed to that as well.

For me the feeling of becoming the predator was once I had all the security and movement upgrades along with several hundred rounds of ammo.

Digirat posted:

You can get 1 before they're mad

I have two and they don't get mad. The coffee cup power and the first regen power.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

scaterry posted:

They are for reploying, my dude.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

DancingShade posted:

I have two and they don't get mad. The coffee cup power and the first regen power.
I had two, turrets didn't attack me, then tried buying some to try an approach to a situation and got up to 4 and that was enough turrets attacked me. So either 3 or 4.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The Reployers are the key to beating the mimic invasion

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

InequalityGodzilla posted:

How many typhon abilities can you buy before the turrets start turning on you?

They start attacking you at 3+. So you can get 2 without any problems.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Vib Rib posted:

Played through the first hour or two at a very excited friend's house, watched them play a bit, too. Probably going to get it myself. Is there any way to toggle the golden glow on objects on or off? I see objects (anything you can read or put in your inventory) glowing in a youtube LP I'm watching but on my friend's machine there was no such feature. No highlight, nor apparently any option for it in the menu (admittedly I may have overlooked it).
Hate to have to ask twice, but if anyone knows what the deal is with highlighting/glowing objects, I'd greatly appreciate it. Quality of life stuff like this is important to me.
I'm probably going to pick up the game either way but I'd really like to know if there's a way to toggle this in the PC version ahead of time.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Vib Rib posted:

Hate to have to ask twice, but if anyone knows what the deal is with highlighting/glowing objects, I'd greatly appreciate it. Quality of life stuff like this is important to me.
I'm probably going to pick up the game either way but I'd really like to know if there's a way to toggle this in the PC version ahead of time.

It is always on, there is no toggle. Everything you can put in your inventory glows.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am annoyed that they didn't keep the thing where books you have read do not glow. I have, so many times, read halfway through a book before thinking "wait I already read this like 5 hours of gameplay ago".

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I'm at Dahl and I'm not ready for it to be over. I was playing it obsessively but now that I'm at the endgame I don't want to finish.

I find it interesting that there are no pets on the station. No ship's cat?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

My favorite reployer email is one where a guy orders one to his office because everyone else has one... and then sends a second email after it arrives asking someone to come show him what it does. :allears:

My reading of that email was that he hadn't ordered one. It just... showed up... one day. And now he wants to know what he's supposed to be using it for.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Verdugo posted:

It's a space station, dood. Have you seen the living quarters for the rank and file on there? Space isn't a place for pets, really.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

There are some pets, they just tend to turn into coffee cups.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Verdugo posted:

I'm at Dahl and I'm not ready for it to be over. I was playing it obsessively but now that I'm at the endgame I don't want to finish.

Dahl is such a well-written unpleasant bastard of a villain. I love the way he compares you to a rat. Hope you rescued Dr. Igwe, because his mission when Dahl comes along is worth doing.

Pets? Well, there is Glooey McGlooface, I genuinely LOLed at that. Then smashed it with wrench so I could grab junk to recycle...

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Rinkles posted:

The little examples of lateral thinking being rewarded is why I loving love these games.

I liked when I knocked a phantom over a railing, floated down after it to finish it off, and realised the fall had killed it anyway.

Verdugo posted:

Explore hard enough and you can find Goggles, the station's mouser.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

GlyphGryph posted:

I guess now I know!
I found one last night that you can get on your very first space walk. :science:

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Palpek posted:

There are some pets, they just tend to turn into coffee cups.

Honestly, if they didn't have the whole "murdering people and converting them to biomass" thing, I'd kind of like a mimic as a pet. The goofy looking ways they stretch and jump around is kind of endearing, and it'd be kind of fun hunting it down each morning.

"Mr. Buggles, where aarrreeee yooou?"
Screeeech!
"Aw, you turned into my laptop again :3:"

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

I found one last night that you can get on your very first space walk. :science:

On my first playthrough, i found that one by carefully sneaking past a dangerous typhon and hiding out in that very alcove where the poor NPC who hid from probably the same Typhon died.

On my second playthrough, i found the vent system that takes you to the same alcove and completely bypasses all enemies.

After my brother excitedly told me about how you can get your first Q-Beam after your first spacewalk, i was all smug how i found one during my first space walk. The second playthrough still managed to surprise me on that front

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I like how the mimics stretch up sometimes, like a mini phantom :3:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Gadzuko posted:

It is always on, there is no toggle. Everything you can put in your inventory glows.
Oh, that's really weird then. Good to know it's not console specific! Everything I played made me think this is worth investing in.
As long as I'm gearing up in preparation of starting this up on my own, are there any really bad perk traps? I recall Bioshock had some skills that proved totally worthless, wondering if there was anything in this that looked appealing but turned out to be trash, or if everything is more or less viable as presented.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Oh, that's really weird then. Good to know it's not console specific! Everything I played made me think this is worth investing in.
As long as I'm gearing up in preparation of starting this up on my own, are there any really bad perk traps? I recall Bioshock had some skills that proved totally worthless, wondering if there was anything in this that looked appealing but turned out to be trash, or if everything is more or less viable as presented.

Can't speak for all of them, since I'm only a few hours in, but I'd highly recommend grabbing one of the suit/inventory upgrades, and the recycler perk (+20% to recycler yields) pretty early on. Really wish I'd grabbed that second one before I'd completely cleared out and recycled the first like, 5 main areas.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Vib Rib posted:

As long as I'm gearing up in preparation of starting this up on my own, are there any really bad perk traps?

It's easier to say what's good than any particular thing to avoid - you'll be swimming in upgrades by mid/late game if you craft them (this game basically lets you turn enemy corpses + junk into 'XP'), and then you take whatever's left that sounds fun.

Anything that gives more items/resources is good early on, assuming you're the typical RPG hoarder. Can never have too much stuff, and recyling everything you pick up is the way to go.

As the thread title says, this game is basically System Shock, so repair and hacking will always be useful.

Movement speed + jumping is a must have. And seconding the recommendation for more inventory space. Also, suit/helmet mod slots - some of the chips that go in those slots are really good, so you want as many as you can use. Upgrade when you have more chips than you can equip. Same deal with skills that let you upgrade weapons.

A lot of the 'science' stuff (better food, more healh/psi from items, stuff like that) isn't bad as such, but shouldn't be a priority. Same with maxing health - that can wait. Stealth is good, assuming you like playing stealthy, but probably something to get later.

Oh, and combat focus + psychoshock is basically cheat mode.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

xiansi posted:

Oh, and combat focus + psychoshock is basically cheat mode.

Hell, either one of them on their own is enough to basically break the game once fully upgraded.

As for what to avoid, I would say:

Physician 2 - Physician 1 is required to get useful upgrades, but further upgrading the effectiveness of medkits probably isn't worth it. You'll do a lot of your healing from picking up food, and should have enough medkits to get by without Physician 2 even on the hardest difficulty.

Leverage 2 and 3 - Can be ok for throwing something at a phantom if they don't know you're there, but the physics are weird and it's not a reliable combat strategy. The need to pry open unpowered doors doesn't come up much, and any doors obstructed by level 3 debris can be cleared with a recycler grenade instead.

Repair 3 - Almost completely useless, besides one or two specific things that need it to be fixed. On an ordinary playthrough, turrets become a liability for reasons I won't spoil here. First two levels are good to get for general utility.

Lab Tech 1 and 2 - The non-standard weapons aren't worth spending repair kits on at all in my opinion. Some people like the q-beam but I found it underwhelming even when the damage was fully upgraded.

Wrench mods - I never took any of them but I can't imagine it's worth it even if you go for the stealth mods as well.

Stamina - You have enough base stamina to kill a mimic on nightmare difficulty without getting exhausted. Besides hitting mimics with a wrench, stamina drain generally doesn't come up.

Won't get into the typhon mods since it's potential spoilers, but those are all the human ones.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Hell, either one of them on their own is enough to basically break the game once fully upgraded.

As for what to avoid, I would say:

Physician 2 - Physician 1 is required to get useful upgrades, but further upgrading the effectiveness of medkits probably isn't worth it. You'll do a lot of your healing from picking up food, and should have enough medkits to get by without Physician 2 even on the hardest difficulty.

Leverage 2 and 3 - Can be ok for throwing something at a phantom if they don't know you're there, but the physics are weird and it's not a reliable combat strategy. The need to pry open unpowered doors doesn't come up much, and any doors obstructed by level 3 debris can be cleared with a recycler grenade instead.

Repair 3 - Almost completely useless, besides one or two specific things that need it to be fixed. On an ordinary playthrough, turrets become a liability for reasons I won't spoil here. First two levels are good to get for general utility.

Lab Tech 1 and 2 - The non-standard weapons aren't worth spending repair kits on at all in my opinion. Some people like the q-beam but I found it underwhelming even when the damage was fully upgraded.

Wrench mods - I never took any of them but I can't imagine it's worth it even if you go for the stealth mods as well.

Stamina - You have enough base stamina to kill a mimic on nightmare difficulty without getting exhausted. Besides hitting mimics with a wrench, stamina drain generally doesn't come up.

Won't get into the typhon mods since it's potential spoilers, but those are all the human ones.

Yeah lab tech really depends on if you like the Q-beam or gloo cannon a lot. I fully upgraded my q-beam in my first playthrough and didn't regret it. Also I'd argue that physician is quite important if you play on nightmare, as food just doesn't usually cut it during combat. Plus then you can recycle the food you find rather than eat it all.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hell, Q-beam is only really worth it if you upgrade it all the way. Not exactly your first order of business, but you should get to it in the second or third, uh... third of the game. Properly upgraded, the Q-Beam will melt a weaver (one of the most annoying enemies) in like under 2 seconds. It's also your only real choice for proper long-range combat.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I gotta say. Doing a Typhoon mod only 2nd playthrough is really rewarding in of itself. You're really limited in not having a lot of inventory or bypassing stuff abilities. But it kinda streamlines the game into this "what can I use and do at this moment" with weird freaky powers

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Thundercracker posted:

I gotta say. Doing a Typhoon mod only 2nd playthrough is really rewarding in of itself. You're really limited in not having a lot of inventory or bypassing stuff abilities. But it kinda streamlines the game into this "what can I use and do at this moment" with weird freaky powers

Yeah I did an all human run, all typhon run and a no neuromod run. That last one got a bit dicey in places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
So is there any other way to get through the broken doors without turning into a small object and squeezing through? Trying for a no Typhon powers run. Also, whats this about a double jump?

EDIT: If there is no other way, then there is a medical bay in the magnetosphere area of the GUTS that you can't get into without the mimic ability. I find that interesting that not every room in the game has at least 2 ways of entry then. Granted this is the only one I have come across but still.

BAILOUT MCQUACK! fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 3, 2017