Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Is there or can there be a well written urban fantasy series NOT set in London

Discuss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Discuss

Guess that depends on your opinion of Butcher's writing

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

biracial bear for uncut posted:

The short sample I read of (I assume) Matthew Swift's internal narrative voice made me roll my eyes at how far up his own rear end he is.

Is it entirely as though he is narrating the book or just portions of it, because the last thing I want to read is Iron Druid - Stuck Up British Person Edition.

I must admit, I stopped reading that first book when the author described a random wardrobe and its contents for a page.

Discuss

I like Twenty Palaces, gently caress y'all, yo.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Discuss

October Daye series is good and not set in London? I mean it depends on how pretentious we are going to get with the term "well written"

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Discuss

Can it ever exist? Of course!

Does it exist now? Depends on your definition of "well-written," I think.

Do you mean high-quality prose, pacing, and plotting? If so, I don't think this exists right now.

If you're more concerned with entertainment and excitement, then it totally exists.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Discuss

Depends by what you mean by well written.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Discuss

Seems like there's a short list of cities for UF. London, New York, and Chicago. Sometimes Paris, sometimes Vegas. I'd kind of like to read some UF set somewhere different, like Moscow, or Beijing, or something, by someone that knew the culture and the cities.

I'm surprised more UF authors don't just make a city up. It seems like a lot of work to research a city and you'll still probably gently caress it up unless you've lived there or know someone that has.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Seems like there's a short list of cities for UF. London, New York, and Chicago. Sometimes Paris, sometimes Vegas. I'd kind of like to read some UF set somewhere different, like Moscow, or Beijing, or something, by someone that knew the culture and the cities.

I'm surprised more UF authors don't just make a city up. It seems like a lot of work to research a city and you'll still probably gently caress it up unless you've lived there or know someone that has.

A lot of them do, its just usually lumped in with standard fantasy instead of UF in yhat case. Like if we extend the definition to include non-real world settings you could probably add a bunch of stuff like Mistborn, Pedido St. Station etc.

Adding fictional cities to earth has also largely fallen out of vogue.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Depends by what you mean by well written.

And indeed what you mean by urban fantasy.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Eh, from what I understand, Butcher has hosed up Chicago on more than one occasion and no one really cares all that much.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

biracial bear for uncut posted:

The short sample I read of (I assume) Matthew Swift's internal narrative voice made me roll my eyes at how far up his own rear end he is.

Is it entirely as though he is narrating the book or just portions of it, because the last thing I want to read is Iron Druid - Stuck Up British Person Edition.

That's so far from how I read it, if it weren't for ConfusedUs agreeing with you, I'd just think you were crazy. The thing is, his internal voice is hosed up, deliberately, because of the dual identity thing, and hard to separate it from that device.

But, it's a kind of book that is going to cause strong reactions, so in that sense it's no surprise some folks hate it. The Pax Arcana books are that way for me. They're just terrible, especially badly written and I can't get past that, but others really, really like them.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Zore posted:

A lot of them do, its just usually lumped in with standard fantasy instead of UF in yhat case. Like if we extend the definition to include non-real world settings you could probably add a bunch of stuff like Mistborn, Pedido St. Station etc.

Adding fictional cities to earth has also largely fallen out of vogue.
Viriconium and Ambergris are the two actually well-written ones.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

thrawn527 posted:

Eh, from what I understand, Butcher has hosed up Chicago on more than one occasion and no one really cares all that much.

He put a cottonmouth snake in the middle of Lake Michigan, and it bugs the hell out of me. You can find them in extreme southern Illinois, but Lake Michigan is over 350 miles beyond their most northern range. Timber rattlesnake would be plausible, possibly even a massasauga, but definitely not a cottonmouth. I know this makes me a giant nerd.

OneTwentySix fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 2, 2017

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

torgeaux posted:

That's so far from how I read it, if it weren't for ConfusedUs agreeing with you, I'd just think you were crazy. The thing is, his internal voice is hosed up, deliberately, because of the dual identity thing, and hard to separate it from that device.

But, it's a kind of book that is going to cause strong reactions, so in that sense it's no surprise some folks hate it. The Pax Arcana books are that way for me. They're just terrible, especially badly written and I can't get past that, but others really, really like them.

Eh. I put Pax Arcana about on the same level as Sandman Slim as far as the actual writing goes.

King of badly written UF stories goes to Twenty Palaces though, at least the Kindle editions. They're full of horrible typos and flat out wrong word usage that took me out of it every time I came across an error.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That's badly edited, not badly written.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 2, 2017

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

OneTwentySix posted:

He put a cottonmouth snake in the middle of Lake Michigan, and it bugs the hell out of me. You can find them in extreme southern Illinois, but Lake Michigan is over 350 miles beyond their most northern range. Timber rattlesnake would be plausible, possibly even a massasauga, but definitely not a cottonmouth. I know this makes me a giant nerd.

The giant Wrigley Field parking lot got a laugh out of me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I've been tempted to try writing a UF book set in Miami. Really would explain a lot about that city (I'm a Florida native).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

navyjack posted:

My entire knowledge of the city of Chicago derives from having watched The Blues Brothers about a million times, so the joke's lost on me. :v:

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

navyjack posted:

Really, the worst thing he does is that Butcher's Chicago is really, really, really un-ethnic. And i don't mean as in the lack of local black characters, although that is definitely A THING, I mean that even the white people in it are very, very Anglo. Like, White Nor-Cal-esque suburban eating at Burger King and Domino's Pizza and shopping at Walmart whitebread Americana. Whereas real Chicago, once you leave the suburbs and as long as you stay out of The Loop, is just a collection of several hundred small and bitterly partisan ethnic communities, each with their own national foodstuff and impossible to pronounce last names.

I mean, I could be wrong, but I think he's written fifteen books about Fantasy Chicago without a single Polish character. Which is loving nuts.

Wheat Loaf posted:

My entire knowledge of the city of Chicago derives from having watched The Blues Brothers about a million times, so the joke's lost on me. :v:

Wrigley Field has, like, zero parking. It's rather famous for it. If you go to their website and click on "Parking" they advise you to park in a designated lot 10 blocks away and ride the L-train to the stadium.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 3, 2017

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
The prose in Pax Arcana is to me serviceable and sits in the middle of the pack. It's not exceptionally good, nor is it bad. I don't like the series for its prose, but then I don't pay that much attention to prose unless it's bad enough to take me out of the story (character and plotting being more important IMO).

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Mars4523 posted:

The prose in Pax Arcana is to me serviceable and sits in the middle of the pack. It's not exceptionally good, nor is it bad. I don't like the series for its prose, but then I don't pay that much attention to prose unless it's bad enough to take me out of the story (character and plotting being more important IMO).

It's the lead character telling the reader things, instead of dialogue, or showing things, or in loeu of any of the good narrative devices

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

torgeaux posted:

It's the lead character telling the reader things, instead of dialogue, or showing things, or in loeu of any of the good narrative devices
I mean, the framing gimmick is that the books are a play on fairy tales. Which are, well, tales.

This kind of narration (first person, directed towards the reader) isn't exactly unheard of in urban fantasy. Most of the big players, including Dresden, do it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Cythereal posted:

I've been tempted to try writing a UF book set in Miami. Really would explain a lot about that city (I'm a Florida native).

Miami is also on my shortlist. I think it's a great setting. Plus you've got the swamp nearby if you really need it.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I mean, I could be wrong, but I think he's written fifteen books about Fantasy Chicago without a single Polish character. Which is loving nuts.

I always got the idea that Butters' family was of eastern European descent. I don't know why.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

ConfusedUs posted:

Miami is also on my shortlist. I think it's a great setting. Plus you've got the swamp nearby if you really need it.

I always got the idea that Butters' family was of eastern European descent. I don't know why.

His love for polka and Oktoberfest? Germanic Jews would be Ashkenazim, and they're generally from areas formerly controlled by the Holy Roman Empire..

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

Plus you'll have stuff like this to pull from.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ConfusedUs posted:

And Key West.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
There's a great mystery series set in Miami and the Keys in the seventies and eighties, the Travis McGee books by John D. McDonald.

You're all wrong though the real answer is Last Call series by Tim Powers, set in Vegas. Even there though the rest of the series it's in is pretty bad.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

There's a great mystery series set in Miami and the Keys in the seventies and eighties, the Travis McGee books by John D. McDonald.

You're all wrong though the real answer is Last Call series by Tim Powers, set in Vegas. Even there though the rest of the series it's in is pretty bad.

Ahem. Set in Ft Lauderdale, tyvm, Slip F-18, Bahia Mar aboard the Busted Flush.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I don't know how accurate it is but Charlene Harris does a really good job bringing Louisiana to life.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
God dammnit, how many times do I have to go to bat for Patricia Briggs in this thread. She writes about the Tri Cities area of Washington, and I think she writes well. :colbert:

Also, Stephen Blackmoore writes Los Angeles better than just about anyone.

Wizchine fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 4, 2017

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Wizchine posted:

God dammnit, how many times to I have to go to bat for Patricia Briggs in this thread. She writes about the Tri Cities area of Washington, and I think she writes well. :colbert:

Also, Stephen Blackmoore writes Los Angeles better than just about anyone.

I'm with you on both.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Sergei Lukyanenko's Night Watch series is set in Moscow in the 90s.

I've just finished the first one, which is kinda three stories linked into a novel. I nearly put it down twice, but it was definitely worth finishing. The setting is fairly bleak, the characterisation isn't quite the usual urban fantasy stuff, and it feels kinda like watching a foreign film, in that you know there's stuff you aren't understanding properly because of cultural differences.

Also the story isn't quite what you'd expect from urban fantasy, exactly. It's a bit depressing and philosophical. Not overly so, but much more so than Dresden or Pax Arcana or whatever. It does have wizards and vampires and shadowy organisations and stuff though. I'm gonna read the next one sooner or later.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jun 5, 2017

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
I just finished The Library at Mount Char on this thread's recommendation.

It's a bizarre novel.

I got about a third of the way in on pure curiosity, and then it dug its claws into me and I could hardly put it down after that. I really enjoyed it.

It's got a unique setting and does "people who grew up only tangentially related to our society" really well. It's got a mystery/heist groove to it, in that there's a secret back-plot that unravels throughout the book and there's a reveal of a couple key points at the end. It skirts close to a deus ex machina but manages to avoid it deftly, IMO.

If you're one that doesn't like stories told from multiple perspectives, this one might not be for you. There's ~3'ish main characters and they each get a comparable share of the page-count. They each have a pretty distinct voice.

There were a couple of genuinely beautiful passages in it.

If you're looking for something really different, give it a shot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AlphaDog posted:

Sergei Lukyanenko's Night Watch series is set in Moscow in the 90s.

I've just finished the first one, which is kinda three stories linked into a novel. I nearly put it down twice, but it was definitely worth finishing. The setting is fairly bleak, the characterisation isn't quite the usual urban fantasy stuff, and it feels kinda like watching a foreign film, in that you know there's stuff you aren't understanding properly because of cultural differences.

Also the story isn't quite what you'd expect from urban fantasy, exactly. It's a bit depressing and philosophical. Not overly so, but much more so than Dresden or Pax Arcana or whatever. It does have wizards and vampires and shadowy organisations and stuff though. I'm gonna read the next one sooner or later.

The Night Watch series gets both more and less standard as it goes on. It's really a bizarre franchise and by the last book it's in a completely different realm that the first, though no less bleak.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Blasphemeral posted:

I just finished The Library at Mount Char on this thread's recommendation.

It's a bizarre novel.

I got about a third of the way in on pure curiosity, and then it dug its claws into me and I could hardly put it down after that. I really enjoyed it.

It's got a unique setting and does "people who grew up only tangentially related to our society" really well. It's got a mystery/heist groove to it, in that there's a secret back-plot that unravels throughout the book and there's a reveal of a couple key points at the end. It skirts close to a deus ex machina but manages to avoid it deftly, IMO.

If you're one that doesn't like stories told from multiple perspectives, this one might not be for you. There's ~3'ish main characters and they each get a comparable share of the page-count. They each have a pretty distinct voice.

There were a couple of genuinely beautiful passages in it.

If you're looking for something really different, give it a shot.

I felt the first 3/4ths or more was really good. Everything up to the moment of victory was outstanding.

Then there's this whole weird denouement thing where it explores the consequences of it all. While that part is also interesting, it felt really extraneous and rushed. It's almost like the author came up with the idea for the sequel and decided to pare it down to a few chapters.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

ConfusedUs posted:

... It's almost like the author came up with the idea for the sequel and decided to pare it down to a few chapters.

I can see that... I think it's more that he wanted to address that stuff in this book because he wanted the next one (if it ever happens) to be about the battles against the enemies and the weirdness that exists in the world now due to the ... "change of management" and the short-lived famine

It's his first novel (ever) so I hope he decides to write another.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

ConfusedUs posted:

I felt the first 3/4ths or more was really good. Everything up to the moment of victory was outstanding.

Then there's this whole weird denouement thing where it explores the consequences of it all. While that part is also interesting, it felt really extraneous and rushed. It's almost like the author came up with the idea for the sequel and decided to pare it down to a few chapters.
Honestly, I kinda thought the denouement was a clever exploration of the consequences of her victory, and the fact that her problems don't end there. My real problem was the other side of that, that some things felt unnecessarily fleshed out, like the Brazilian model's and the DHS agent's backstories. Still thought it was pretty good, damned if I know how he can follow it.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

darthbob88 posted:

Honestly, I kinda thought the denouement was a clever exploration of the consequences of her victory, and the fact that her problems don't end there. My real problem was the other side of that, that some things felt unnecessarily fleshed out, like the Brazilian model's and the DHS agent's backstories. Still thought it was pretty good, damned if I know how he can follow it.

Oh, yeah, I found it fascinating. It's unusual that books take an actual look at consequences of the main story--at least not until the sequel. I thought it was a really great addition.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

The Night Watch series gets both more and less standard as it goes on. It's really a bizarre franchise and by the last book it's in a completely different realm that the first, though no less bleak.
It is also really, really formulaic, to the point where you can accurately predict where the plots will go after reading two or three stories. Setpieces change but the structure and result are always the same. The "different realm" stuff is mostly based by the main protagonist's power creep that makes Harry Dresden's constant accumulation of favors and powers look tame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

It is also really, really formulaic, to the point where you can accurately predict where the plots will go after reading two or three stories. Setpieces change but the structure and result are always the same. The "different realm" stuff is mostly based by the main protagonist's power creep that makes Harry Dresden's constant accumulation of favors and powers look tame.

Yeah, the book has absolutely insane power creep. It's pretty annoying because the theme of the first book played a lot into the idea that power couldn't be changed and that it was an irreconcilable gulf between people but then each successive book downplays that more and more, while simultaneously introducing even bigger and newer Ultimate Dangers that are even more powerful than the most powerful thing ever, until by the 5th book they encounter God and by the 6th book they encounter Double God.