Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Avasculous posted:

I'd be very interested since MP was by far the best way to play EL.

Not so interested with Custom factions or if the Desync issues are still a problem.

I'm starting a weekly game with a few people from another forum. Looks like It'll be Saturdays at 8pm PST if you're interested. No custom factions, still 2 slots left.

http://doodle.com/poll/99trike9qiukz5b2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

So I was wondering what everyone does for tactics? All I seem to ever use or see the ai use is turtle or power to shields and I guess sometimes I use get lucky. Is there any time any of Thera might ever be useful

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Clarste posted:

I think the idea is more that they get a penalty for running at low manpower, but it's not really significant enough to discourage ship spam, imo. Two empty ships are still going to be better than one full ship.

It's +20% damage when full. That's significant. Two empty ships are better than one, but two partially full ships vs. two full ships is very much in the favor of the full ships.

kaynorr posted:

Anywhere I can look this poo poo up? The ES2 wiki is completely useless when it comes to mechanics at this level..

There isn't a main, compiled source of information, no. However, everything is available through in-game tooltips. Turn on detailed tooltips if you turned them off, mouse over everything, play an entire game with the ES2 mechanics only tutorial without ever closing it (it'll likely run out of things to show you by turn 50, unless you're slow to get into combat or invasions) and don't skim over any information unless it's quest or event flavor text. Doing that will get over 99% of the mechanics and systems in front of you in a reasonably comprehensible manner. This isn't aimed specifically at you, you seem to have a good grasp of what's available through doing this, but it answers a lot of questions that come up in the thread.

Ramadu posted:

So I was wondering what everyone does for tactics? All I seem to ever use or see the ai use is turtle or power to shields and I guess sometimes I use get lucky. Is there any time any of Thera might ever be useful

There's some really great tactics available in the military tree. I can't remember their names right off hand, though. One is +100% absorption to all ships in a battle with an attack value of 0, useful if you can't retreat your planet cracker or any other non-combat ship. Another reduces damage you do by 10%, but gives you another action point after combat letting your fleets attack as many times as they want in one turn. It also doesn't prevent movement so you can do it across multiple systems. There's some niche tactics that cater to specific strategies as well, like long range bombardment or short range rush, worth picking up if you're going that route. Definitely worth keeping turtle and power to shields though, they're pretty strong when used against the right fleets.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

One thing about tooltips -- are they missing entirely from the scan screens, or is it just me? There seems to be a lot of info there but I have no idea how to read it much less how useful it actually is.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Oh, that's true. Scan screens are mostly just there for quickly getting an overview of the information relevant to that screen, and there's a key section that defines symbols. It would be nice to get some tooltips in those screens for more granular information, though.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Huh, the Craver's population bonus at 50 is they get a bonus to ship and infantry damage for every planet they've depleted. Interesting. A good way to give them a bit of oomph at the end of days.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Clarste posted:

Well, that's not the case in my experience. I've only seen the enemies start using aircraft in super-lategame scenarios where it honestly doesn't even matter anymore. Whereas you can rush for 100% tank armies before you even get Titanium. Maybe I'm just thinking on a different timescale than you for this.

You can rush 100% tank armies (and should if you are playing aggro Sophons) - you're rushing for that tech anyway if you're planning to get in any fights. However, you need a reasonable amount of orange/red for tank upgrades before they're better than infantry. Mining orange/red is fourth tier, same tier as aircraft tech.

Speedball posted:

Huh, the Craver's population bonus at 50 is they get a bonus to ship and infantry damage for every planet they've depleted. Interesting. A good way to give them a bit of oomph at the end of days.

You'd be surprised how few planets you deplete if you're doing well. I just finished a conquest victory on endless and was getting less than 10% extra damage from that.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 2, 2017

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Hi. I loved DotE and liked endless legend (good but a bit boring, but still got my money's worth) and hated civ 6, and found stellaris a bit 'meh', on release week.

Is this game good? (endless space 2)

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

redreader posted:

Hi. I loved DotE and liked endless legend (good but a bit boring, but still got my money's worth) and hated civ 6, and found stellaris a bit 'meh', on release week.

Is this game good? (endless space 2)

Yes, it's a bit buggy right now but the game itself is really good. It has a much stronger vision than Stellaris, and it's more sincere than Civ 6. (which is always sneering at everything you do and it's amazingly tiresome)

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks! I appreciate it. What race should I start with? I just bought it.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

redreader posted:

Horatio, obviously.

More seriously, click on them and they tell you their main gimmick. Pick the one that sounds interesting.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Gamesguy posted:

I'm starting a weekly game with a few people from another forum. Looks like It'll be Saturdays at 8pm PST if you're interested. No custom factions, still 2 slots left.

Thanks, I signed up.

redreader posted:

Honestly, any of them. Sophons are probably the most vanilla/straightforward.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

redreader posted:

I would suggest the Sophons or the United Empire. The Sophon gimmick is just turbo-boosted science. The United Empire gets bonuses to Influence generation, which is otherwise scarce early on, and can spend it to instabuy almost everything.

If you want something a bit stranger, the Lumeris and Horatio both play mostly normally. The Lumeris buy new colonies directly with cash instead of building colony ships, and the Horatio can chop up a big pile of aliens to make all of their own native population better. Additionally the Horatio start off with a government that lets them colonize most of the planets in the game.

The Unfallen have a strange settling mechanic - instead of making colony ships you extend a web of vines slowly over every single star and can insta-colonize any system in your vines - and the Cravers have to micromanage their population to make the most out of their "eat planets for temporary super-output" and "Craver pops enslave foreign pops for extra output" mechanics.

Vodyani and Riftborn are very gimmicky, and are probably bad picks for a first playthrough. The Riftborn have backwards settling preferences, build pops with production, and can speed up or slow down specific systems. The Vodyani don't actually colonize planets, instead they live in gigantic spaceships that can anchor themselves to a system to automatically work all the settlable planets in that system, and have to build those spaceships by running alien abduction schemes on foreign planets.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
I really dislike the current level of the over colonisation bonus. It makes conquering in the late game a tedious whackamole business of going back through your colonies and handling the rebellious ones, but doesn't actually make it hard to colonise. Could stand to be reduced by at least a third in my view.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Cease to Hope posted:

You can rush 100% tank armies (and should if you are playing aggro Sophons) - you're rushing for that tech anyway if you're planning to get in any fights. However, you need a reasonable amount of orange/red for tank upgrades before they're better than infantry. Mining orange/red is fourth tier, same tier as aircraft tech.

They start better than Infantry (against infantry), and you'll need to mine a lot of blue/yellow before you can upgrade infantry anyway, which means you've expanded quite a bit for quite some time. By which point, if I'm playing an aggressive faction, I've already conquered at least two of my enemies. Whereas tanks are a tier two tech that you should absolutely shoot for immediately if you plan on being aggressive, since being able to field a bigger fleet is more likely to win you ship battles than any other factor.

Avasculous posted:

Honestly, any of them. Sophons are probably the most vanilla/straightforward.

I would recommend against Sophons, honestly. Unless you already know what you're aiming for, the ability to snatch up techs early is more likely to get you into a position where you have no money and no industry. United Empire strikes me as more vanilla, since they're just good at doing things in a straightforward way.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jun 2, 2017

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Clarste posted:

United Empire strikes me as more vanilla, since they're just good at doing things in a straightforward way.

Also, they have the best intro movie. I would pay for an expansion that was nothing more bombastic and Starship Troopers/40K UE video's for each quest/tech/achievement.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

redreader posted:

United Empire for your daily dose of "Would You Like to Know More?" or Sophons for being chill science bros.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Gamesguy posted:

I'd be interested if there's still room. Probably get wrecked though

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Xae posted:

United Empire for your daily dose of "Would You Like to Know More?" or Sophons for being chill science bros.

The intro to sophons is clear that they're just more advanced Kerbals.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sloober posted:

The intro to sophons is clear that they're just more advanced Kerbals.

Wow, yeah they're just straight up Kerbals, god bless em.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I'm going to go with recommending UE as well - they get more influence and start with a law that increases dust, so you are less likely to get in a hole on either of those resources. They also start with what I consider the two most important T1 techs. Honestly I just generally consider them the faction you're least likely to screw yourself with.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Honestly the ability to buy poo poo with influence is extremely good. Dust buyout prices fluctuate due to inflation, but influence costs remain the same. A mid-game UE can get the ball rolling on a new system very quickly with some influence.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I think Lumeris and UE are both good starter factions. Lumeris are all about making loads of dust and dust has so many uses it's good to have a ton of it anyway. It's also piss easy to win an Economy victory with them.

I would likewise argue against the Sophons because you get way more out of the ability if you know your way around the tech tree. I'd even recommend the Riftborn first; they have a weirder gimmick than UE or Lumeris but you need food for flesh sack pops anyway and as long as you understand that your pops are more powerful than improvements you'll do alright.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Yeah, the Riftborn aren't as hard as you'd think. They don't need many improvements, their reversed planet preferences give them a lot more flexibility at the start as long as you can find an ash or lava world or two, their gimmick is very easy to use (just put FIDS bubbles on your best systems and forget about them, maybe troll your enemy with the slowdown bubble on their major forge systems) and their ships are so specialized they practically arm themselves.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
The only problem I've got with (at least certainly base) Riftborn is how poorly they mesh with other races. On higher difficulties, your minor pop will probably die off immediately because you start off on a cold rock and your robots don't make food; as you unlock more colonization techs/conquer meatbags (or robots that eat food like the Epistis/Remnant) that actually use the stuff, not only do they take forever and a day to grow, but if they do, they do so with no respect to FIDS or habitability preference, AND if it pushes your queued pop constructions above the system cap, the system's production will shut down without telling you until one of the queued pops is removed.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
It's only that last thing that is actually a problem. It doesn't really matter if you gain or lose a minor species pop here or there.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I generally send all my minor pops to a minor pop home system that I assimilate, where they do better. Although they still get the reversed terraforming preferences, which is a bit odd.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I wish they could do something about different species having different preferences. Like why should these gas giant people be miserable they're living on a gas giant and happy on a terran planet?

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

What determines the number of population slots on a planet? Is it based on size or type or is there a random element to it?

And if you terraform a planet can you get more population slots from it? When I look at the change in resource output in the terraform options I always feel like I'm better off with the original planet type, but I assume you can repeatedly terraform a planet to get to some min/maxed ideal planet type.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Pretty sure it's size and type and whatever racial benefits you have, such as the Craver's ability.

Terraforming planets can definitely add extra slots, but it depends on what kind of planet you're trying to terraform it to. For example, desert>arid doesn't add any extra slots, but desert>savannah adds something like 4.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Started a game as Empire. Unfallen popped up next door, once they visited my home system I had a Guardian pop appear there. When I colonized another planet in my home system, it was colonized by a Guardian pop. Working as intended or bugging out?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Lunsku posted:

Started a game as Empire. Unfallen popped up next door, once they visited my home system I had a Guardian pop appear there. When I colonized another planet in my home system, it was colonized by a Guardian pop. Working as intended or bugging out?

Working as intended. The Unfallen have a special faction trait to reveal Guardians, everywhere. Not just on planets they control. They probably probed your system and revealed them for you.

Drunk in Space posted:

Pretty sure it's size and type and whatever racial benefits you have, such as the Craver's ability.

Terraforming planets can definitely add extra slots, but it depends on what kind of planet you're trying to terraform it to. For example, desert>arid doesn't add any extra slots, but desert>savannah adds something like 4.

Yes. The planets with the most population slots are the Fertile ones like Terran and Atoll, which is honestly the main reason to terraform at all. Gas Giants and Lava/Barren worlds have incredible production output per pop, but have extremely low population limits.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jun 3, 2017

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If all the Hissho or a minor faction leave, is there a way to get them back?

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
How do you guys configure your galaxies for new games?

And a complaint: I'm currently playing as Horatio and have the ecologists in power in the senate. When you scout new systems almost every planet is colonizable but the game doesn't tell you which planets are going to give you reduced returns because you lack the tech for them. So I have to constantly go back to the tech screen to see which planets I can colonize without losing FIDS. They should really mark the worlds you can colonize but lack the tech for with a different color or something.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Just lost my first game as sophons. Horatio ended up with economic victory. Could go back a few turns and puah their poo poo in but it was a bit of a slog by the end. Great game but its a real shame combat is so very boring. Dont know why they couldnt add at least a little real time control if you dont auto resolve. ES1s combat was more fun while still being poo poo

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Weird rear end bug - I think I completed all of the Unfallen main quest and all of a sudden my home system has been uncolonized - it's vined, so I can just restart building, but every single improvement I made to the system is gone.

* actually, not my home system, my first colonized system. I think what actually happened is that it got tagged randomly as part of the Academy questline. It is a "critical site" and since I already had a fleet defending it, the game bugged out

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 3, 2017

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
What galaxy shape are you all playing on? Spiral seems to end up with me having met a single empire by like turn 80 and it is boring af.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
Are we doing the Multiplayer game tonight?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Kanthulhu posted:

And a complaint: I'm currently playing as Horatio and have the ecologists in power in the senate. When you scout new systems almost every planet is colonizable but the game doesn't tell you which planets are going to give you reduced returns because you lack the tech for them. So I have to constantly go back to the tech screen to see which planets I can colonize without losing FIDS. They should really mark the worlds you can colonize but lack the tech for with a different color or something.

Honestly I'm not even sure what the size of the penalty is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

What galaxy shape are you all playing on? Spiral seems to end up with me having met a single empire by like turn 80 and it is boring af.

I like spiral 4 as it gives me a good idea of where everyone is and where I need to go to carve out an arm for myself.

Last game the Lumeris never left their arm. Only had 5 stars. But when I checked the end of game stats they were killing it in dust. Even better than my 20 star empire who won with science (I had economic victory off because I always hit it and wanted a science victory). I think next game I'll try sticking to a small tall empire.