Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

voodoorootbeer posted:

Is anybody else hoping that they gym shakeup creates type gyms? The original games and cartoons all had water gyms, grass gyms, poison gyms, etc. Forcing each mon to adhere to the gym's type could be really fun, especially with the one of each mon per gym rule. If you extended it to include move types, you could put fire blast Slowking in a fire gym, etc. and improve gym variety significantly. Lots of otherwise useless mons in the 2k range might actually be put into play.

I think a cool thing to do would be to have whoever took over a gym to have to option to have set a maximum cp for that gym. You could have your 3,000+ max gyms with giant Tyrannitars and Blisseys like you do now, or you could set a max CP of 500. This would create a use for things like Pokemon that currently aren't good enough or unevolved forms or weird things like if you find a wild 400 CP Rhydon. Set it so you can't battle it with anything above whatever the max CP is set at. It would incentivize people to take down more enemy gyms and diversify the meta game to have CP Maxes set at like 100, 500, 1000, 2000, and 3000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

voodoorootbeer posted:

Is anybody else hoping that they gym shakeup creates type gyms? The original games and cartoons all had water gyms, grass gyms, poison gyms, etc. Forcing each mon to adhere to the gym's type could be really fun, especially with the one of each mon per gym rule. If you extended it to include move types, you could put fire blast Slowking in a fire gym, etc. and improve gym variety significantly. Lots of otherwise useless mons in the 2k range might actually be put into play.

The only gyms that would exist would then be Normal, Water, Ground, and Dragon. The other way I can think of to get around that is to make specific gyms ALWAYS one type, but then you can bet everyone is going to be sending in complaints to Niantic when the only gym they live close to is a lovely Poison type gym or Bug gym. And then to get around THAT you can make the gym types change every 2 weeks or something kinda like the nest changes, but then that means you're automatically clearing out gyms on a schedule and tons of people will be unhappy about that too, or straight giving up on playing because what's the point, you'll never hold your gyms for very long.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I've held one gym for a couple of months at this point and I've absolutely no idea where it is. It's not in my city since everything got taken down by an Instinct spoofer invasion a couple of weeks ago and it's only just getting built back up again properly.

SirBukkake
Aug 24, 2006
Idk some black dude
Honestly, I'm just hoping that battles, whether via this apparent Gym rework or when PVP drops this summer, have more incentives and social interaction other than, "I guess you can find some team members on Facebook maybe and take down a buggy gym to get a dimes-worth of in-app currency."

...and just a hint of strategy. Bring back immunities; who cares if a granddad can't wrap his head around why his Hyper Beam can't damage a Gengar.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
At this point I've been looking at walls of 9 blisseys long enough to think the problem with this game is that Niantic are woefully incompetent.

I was giving them benefit of the doubt until about December.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Do you still get those apps that list all your Pokemon and tell you which ones are worth keeping or did Niantic crush them all?

(I haven't played in like 6 months)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SirBukkake posted:

who cares if a granddad can't wrap his head around why his Hyper Beam can't damage a Gengar.

niantic cares, because the amount of granddads who can't wrap their heads around why hyper beam can't damage a gengar and pay money for this game is a lot higher than the number of super competitive players who want it the other way.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Enallyniv posted:

Do you still get those apps that list all your Pokemon and tell you which ones are worth keeping or did Niantic crush them all?

(I haven't played in like 6 months)

I use an overlay app that someone mentioned here (Calcy IV) but I don't dare try things like Blossom's PoGo Manager anymore because they were pretty explicitly warning not to do so. So, it's a much more manual process now but it's not too bad.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Oh my god, I just remembered I had a dream last night where the gym revamp dropped. Niantic decided to allow anyone above a certain level to create up to 5 gyms and 10 Pokestops as long as they were a certain distance away from one another. It was amazing and there were so many people out playing the game and racking up coins.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

SirBukkake posted:

...and just a hint of strategy. Bring back immunities; who cares if a granddad can't wrap his head around why his Hyper Beam can't damage a Gengar.

Like the other person said, that big portion of players who are all old people who only know how to tap mindlessly are the ones spending lots of real money. Other than that, I would like it if they put in status effect moves. Like maybe give you a once-only, permanent decision on the charge move if you'd rather have your Jolteon get Thunder or Thunder Wave. Thunder being the giant nuke, while Thunder Wave induces paralysis makes the opposing Pokemon attack twice as slow for 5 seconds or something. That would certainly help a great deal in tactics like being able to take down Blisseys or the attacker/defender game. Make the usual nuke move the default, and you get one chance to change it like I mentioned. That way the old grandpas who don't know what they're doing can continue doing what they're doing.

It'd be great too if they can make moves that interrupt an enemy charge move. Like Sucker Punch or Fake Out. I'm not sure how that can be implemented into their much beloved mindless tapping ironclad blueprint for battles, but I just want something to break the monotony of the current "battle" system.

Who am I kidding, Niantic can't even fix that lag where you dodged-a-charge-move-but-the-game-will-calculate-it-as-if-you-got-hit-anyway-first-then-fix-it but whoops the fake damage made you faint so uh...limbo.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

SirBukkake posted:

Honestly, I'm just hoping that battles, whether via this apparent Gym rework or when PVP drops this summer, have more incentives and social interaction other than, "I guess you can find some team members on Facebook maybe and take down a buggy gym to get a dimes-worth of in-app currency."
Seems to work fine now except for the bugs.

quote:

That would break the game since defenders can't switch and it would be too easy to wall them with your attacker and beat them without taking any damage. I suppose they could compensate by allowing the AI defender to switch in that situation.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

DizzyBum posted:

Oh my god, I just remembered I had a dream last night where the gym revamp dropped. Niantic decided to allow anyone above a certain level to create up to 5 gyms and 10 Pokestops as long as they were a certain distance away from one another. It was amazing and there were so many people out playing the game and racking up coins.

Sounds like Ingress. Is Niantic still allowing people to submit Portals? I got 2-3 submissions accepted back when it was new, but I haven't played in years.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

Sounds like Ingress. Is Niantic still allowing people to submit Portals? I got 2-3 submissions accepted back when it was new, but I haven't played in years.

Anyone who is over level 16 can submit portals, which then show up in Pokemon as well. Pokemon needs to implement something, like allowing players over level 30 to be able to submit stops. Half the stops in my town are of things or places that have moved or no longer exist, similarly there are lots of new things that would be great stops or gym that are just dead areas. We have a 4 story tall robot sculpture in a spot that used to be an abandoned bowling alley that's begging to be a gym.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Fish Of Doom posted:

Anyone who is over level 16 can submit portals, which then show up in Pokemon as well. Pokemon needs to implement something, like allowing players over level 30 to be able to submit stops. Half the stops in my town are of things or places that have moved or no longer exist, similarly there are lots of new things that would be great stops or gym that are just dead areas. We have a 4 story tall robot sculpture in a spot that used to be an abandoned bowling alley that's begging to be a gym.

https://support.pokemongo.nianticlabs.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=319928

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

"Please note, we are currently not accepting submissions for new PokéStops or Gyms."

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Fish Of Doom posted:

"Please note, we are currently not accepting submissions for new PokéStops or Gyms*."

* Unless you offer us a big pile of cash.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Feels like even the best gym revamp would be useless if Niantic cant stop spoofing

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Rumor from the Silph Road:

quote:

Trainers,
With summer quickly approaching in the Northern Hemisphere and winter approaching in the Southern Hemisphere, we couldn’t think of a better way to celebrate the upcoming solstices than with a Fire-type and Ice-type Pokémon GO event.
From 1:00 P.M. PDT on June 13 to 1:00 P.M. PDT on June 20, 2017, Trainers around the world will discover more Charmander, Cyndaquil, Growlithe, Houndour, Ponyta, Swinub, Vulpix, and their Evolutions. You’ll also want to keep an eye out for Sneasel, Magmar, Cloyster, and other Fire types and Ice types!

It’s time to perfect your Poké Ball throws, Trainers! Throughout the event, you’ll receive huge XP bonuses for successfully catching Pokémon with Nice, Great, and Excellent Throws, as well as Curveballs and First Throws. Additionally, as you walk around your neighborhoods or discover new sights, you’ll earn even more XP for hatching Eggs. To help you take advantage of these awesome XP bonuses, Lucky Eggs will be 50% off in the in-game shop.
Get ready to explore the world around you—there are even more exciting updates coming your way soon!
—The Pokémon GO team

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
nice. even though it won't really help me my wife needs a bunch of those and I totally support theme types every week instead of infinite rats and sentrets

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Increased chance for Lapras again?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

AirRaid posted:

Increased chance for Lapras again?

Hope so, it's all I need to complete my EU gen 1 dex after the water event threw one up on the other side of unsurpassable train tracks and I didn't get any out of the 30 or so 2k eggs I hatched during the Easter event, nor any of my 10k eggs

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Girlfriend and I drove 200 miles out to a podunk town, and the first gym I see has the person who's in all my gyms in my hometown :confused:

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

Spoofing or else check to see if that player is a 50+ year old retired person playing the game that literally spends their waking hours playing this game. I have a good handful of those in my town that congregate around the Pokestop hotspot downtown.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So down for an ice and fire event. I heard more xp for egg hatches and catches too.

Met a cool old guy at Surprise Park today. We walked about a mile catching karps and talking about the game. He was maybe 50 candy from a Gyarados when he had to go, but we might meet up next weekend to get the rest. Me, I just want a shiny. Even a 10cp. JUST ONE.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Willsun posted:

Spoofing or else check to see if that player is a 50+ year old retired person playing the game that literally spends their waking hours playing this game. I have a good handful of those in my town that congregate around the Pokestop hotspot downtown.

Not impossible for the latter. I recall pulling into a parking lot of a local park and in the car next to me was two retired people with their phones out leveling up the gym. I probably should have told them how prestige works since it was only going up 100 at a time.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cowslips Warren posted:

So down for an ice and fire event. I heard more xp for egg hatches and catches too.

Same. I started off Gen 2 thinking I'd have Houndoom real fast since I caught 4 Houndour the first day, since then I've only caught 2 more and it's one of only 3 Pokemon I still need to evolve (along with Ampharos and Tyranitar). Also I still need a loving Unkown, some rear end in a top hat in town got one at a lured Pokestop and has been flaunting it in gyms from time to time but literally nobody else around here has one.

And hey maybe the fire event might make it so I can get a Typhlosion that knows a move other than fuckin Solar Beam (type coverage in this battle system is just useless as gently caress beyond a one-time 'gotcha').

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 4, 2017

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I thought AZ was pretty poo poo for biomes, but Houndoom is everywhere, and most nest changes we at least get one grass and 1-3 water nests.

Got three evolution items today. Sunstone for 7th day spin....then a dragon scale, and another sunstone from random stops. I really wish we could trade these things!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Fire and ice event will be cool. Hopefully there will be lots of sneasels so I can get my dark and ice badges.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
Of course they would do an event that ups Swinub spawns immediately after I finish walking mine into a Piloswine. Here's hoping I can get some more Lapras candy out of this event.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I see a lot of Swinub near me for some reason. I've got a few Gen 2 Pokemon that I've never even seen, but I've been getting a fair few Phany after seeing none for months, so who knows? I also had a Mareep spawn randomly in a place that normally only gets Krabby and that's the only one I've seen. Chikorita seems to be the only GEN 2 starter that spawns regularly.

No sign of Unown and I'm in a major city. I don't get this game sometimes.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Like 4 Unowns have spawned in my area in about 4 months, they're basically impossible to get.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I see Chikorita fairly often, Cyndaquil rarely and I've only ever got Totodile once and that was by hatching. Yet the Gen 1 starters seem to spawn more.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

GonSmithe posted:

Like 4 Unowns have spawned in my area in about 4 months, they're basically impossible to get.

we had about one a day pre grass event in Chicagoland, and I was seeing 50 swinubs a day. now I see neither, so they definitely dropped spawn rates on unown

also if you have the 26 unown badge you're a spoofer and should be banned

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

mastershakeman posted:

we had about one a day pre grass event in Chicagoland, and I was seeing 50 swinubs a day. now I see neither, so they definitely dropped spawn rates on unown

also if you have the 26 unown badge you're a spoofer and should be banned

Agreed. Someone posted it on the Facebook group for my area and literally everyone was like "why would you just admit to being a spoofer like that?"

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

Because sadly most of the drive behind these games is to show off your big e-peen.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i'd like for them to do some sort of an event with unknown someday since the collector in me wants all the badges and that one are gonna be a right pain in the rear end that takes years otherwise (see also: the rattata, magikarp, and pikachu ones)

Tomapella
Aug 18, 2007

It's only fair to tell you,
I'm absolutely cuckoo.

OldMemes posted:

I see Chikorita fairly often, Cyndaquil rarely and I've only ever got Totodile once and that was by hatching. Yet the Gen 1 starters seem to spawn more.

The only times I've seen a wild Totodile I was on a ferry (I live in Seattle and go on them semi-frequently), though they do come up in nests. They are definitely more rare than Squirtles, though.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Tomapella posted:

The only times I've seen a wild Totodile I was on a ferry (I live in Seattle and go on them semi-frequently), though they do come up in nests. They are definitely more rare than Squirtles, though.

Weird, i am in a grass biome and I see Totodile at least fairly often. I do see Squirtle, but very rarely.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I don't even assume getting all badges are doable unless you're already living by a body of water in the northern hemisphere and if the Halloween event happens again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I still don't even have the bronze Dragon badge, or the silver Fighting badge. And considering that I've caught a good amount of both Magikarp and Rattata, I haven't even gotten halfway to silver in those badges. Pikachu only spawn around when they're hatchu's anyway.

And of course, I don't believe Unown exist in this game. Never seen one in sightings, nor in a Gym. Like with all the regional Pokemon, I assume I'll just never obtain them. Which is one of the dumbest things you can do in a Pokemon game.

• Locked thread