Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
There's nothing more appealing to the ladies then regurgitating stale bromides. Try not to succumb to this dude's alphaness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

as though "who's playing the healer" wasn't a thing in previous and current editions of the game

I dislike this drat game and its fanbase has only heated my dislike into outright enmity

Garl_Grimm
Apr 13, 2005
Dude is already thinking about how this will be such a great meet cute to tell his plentiful, white children about. "Honey, remember when you were wrong on the internet about d&d?" Humans really are the worst choice, in and out of d&d.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

:discourse: x 1000

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Reene posted:

as though "who's playing the healer" wasn't a thing in previous and current editions of the game

I dislike this drat game and its fanbase has only heated my dislike into outright enmity

as though playing a tank isn't a thing in previous editions, what is this poo poo

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I've never met a person who said 4e was WoW who had actually played it.

I have the books and tried my best to get people interested and no takers. But from what I could tell it was smoother in pretty much every aspect.

And yeah in the current 3.5 campaign I'm still in for some reason I joined after it had started and there was no healer. So I sighed and rolled a cleric.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Even if 4e was the worst ever, it still has more game than that dude.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Len posted:

I've never met a person who said 4e was WoW who had actually played it.

I have the books and tried my best to get people interested and no takers. But from what I could tell it was smoother in pretty much every aspect.

And yeah in the current 3.5 campaign I'm still in for some reason I joined after it had started and there was no healer. So I sighed and rolled a cleric.

Is it one of those campaigns where you can't just spam wands between battles?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

slap me and kiss me posted:

:vince:

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

:wow:

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh man, you need to tell him that you just won a $20 bet that he'd make that exact lovely comeback.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

gently caress...

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
http://www.azquotes.com/picture-quo...in-65-56-34.jpg

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
That's the most boring thing anybody has ever said.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Ominous Jazz posted:

But what about Gandalf's views on economic disparity and welfare programs?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

LongDarkNight posted:

Don't know why he's on a dating site, he already has a chicken to gently caress.

:golfclap:

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Covok posted:

But what about Gandalf's views on economic disparity and welfare programs?

So what's the context of this, is he arguing for or against that level of verisimilitude. I haven't read a lot of game of thrones and I'm not caught up on the show but I don't think he would be arguing for that

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Ominous Jazz posted:

I think the point is that in Tolkien's world, the right to govern is based on inherited titles, racial superiority, and maleness, with no regard to whether or not the individual has any capacity to govern well or has any connection to the people to be governed. It's just expressed in the nerdiest possible way.

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 2, 2017

Garl_Grimm
Apr 13, 2005
But isn't "has Dragons" the barrier to entry for leadership in ASOIAF? That's is some steep wealth inequality.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Jimbozig posted:

I think the point is that in Tolkien's world, the right to govern is based on inherited titles, racial superiority, and maleness, with no regard to whether or not the individual has any capacity to govern well or has any connection to the people to be governed. It's just expressed in the nerdiest possible way.

I mean, that was feudalism in a nutshell
edit: I haven't read the silmirilian so I might be missing some things

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 2, 2017

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
His point was that even being a good and wise person didn't necessarily mean things would go smoothly. There was a lot of poo poo that Aragorn would've had to deal with. Tolkien sweeps it under the rug with "He was the rightful king, so of course everything went well," while Martin wanted to point out that that wasn't good enough. It's never been good enough. Even a good man can make decisions that end up poo poo, simply because they don't, can't, know what the consequences would be.

Now, it can be argued that wasn't the point of Lord of the Rings, and that "happily ever after" can be a perfectly valid ending. But thinking about things that way can lead to some interesting stories.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

JackMann posted:

Now, it can be argued that wasn't the point of Lord of the Rings, and that "happily ever after" can be a perfectly valid ending. But thinking about things that way can lead to some interesting stories.
c.f. Discworld, where wanting to get the "true king" running things instead of the guy who actually works to keep things running is the purview of the bad guys.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

JackMann posted:

His point was that even being a good and wise person didn't necessarily mean things would go smoothly. There was a lot of poo poo that Aragorn would've had to deal with. Tolkien sweeps it under the rug with "He was the rightful king, so of course everything went well," while Martin wanted to point out that that wasn't good enough. It's never been good enough. Even a good man can make decisions that end up poo poo, simply because they don't, can't, know what the consequences would be.

Queen of Tearlings is an interesting take on fantasy kingdom logistics. The first book of the series is a solid read.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

:perfect:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

He's right but WoW is good (Pre-Cata)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Also actually I heard Legion is good game design-wise and now the only thing on Warcraft that sucks is the lore?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Andrast posted:

Is it one of those campaigns where you can't just spam wands between battles?

Nobody in the group had one so presumably. The DM tried to make me act as tank and healer a couple sessions ago and backpedaled as soon as he realized I'd been getting dick for items and had an armor of 16 at level 7

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Plutonis posted:

Also actually I heard Legion is good game design-wise and now the only thing on Warcraft that sucks is the lore?

The lore has always sucked though, even though they have good goblins

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ominous Jazz posted:

as though playing a tank isn't a thing in previous editions, what is this poo poo

it's funny because it was 5e that literally introduced a taunt spell

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ominous Jazz posted:

The lore has always sucked though, even though they have good goblins

Oh for sure, Chris Metzen and his successors are the worst writers on Earth but the story which was just generic videogame bad took a huge nosedive during Cataclysm (and so did everything else)

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I already read two threads full of WoW lore do we have to make it 3

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Let's do XIV lore instead!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Garl_Grimm posted:

But isn't "has Dragons" the barrier to entry for leadership in ASOIAF? That's is some steep wealth inequality.

People complain about White Savior Dany without realizing that Dany is a) generally a huge fuckup, often because she tried to fix things without a full understanding of the context and b) descended from a line of maniacs who almost inevitably go mad with power.

So yes, but I think in the long run it's either not going to go well for her, or it's not going to go well for anyone around her. :v:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

I suppose he lost his saving throw.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Evil Mastermind posted:

c.f. Discworld, where wanting to get the "true king" running things instead of the guy who actually works to keep things running is the purview of the bad guys.

Fortunately the True King was quite happy being a cop.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
If only there was some example of WoW on paper.

Also, I always love the presumption that having a tabletop version of a multibillion dollar videogame is somehow bad anyway. I'm sure some Hasbro exec would give a treasured limb to have D&D be even a tenth as successful as Warcraft has become, and Warcraft did that partly by drinking D&D's milkshake.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Blizzard outright stealing from 40K and D&D and getting more successful than them shows why the wrong side won the Cold War

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Ominous Jazz posted:

Well, to be fair, 4e did introduce the defender role that gives classes like the Fighter the tools they need to draw attention and act like a meat shield, whereas in 3.5e the Fighter couldnt even fulfill that, or any other role in any kind of adequate manner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
What is the earliest official mention of 'tank' as defense-oriented warrior, anyway? As far as D&D, the earliest I can specifically think of was in the Complete Paladin's handbook back in 2e.

• Locked thread