Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

aware of dog posted:

My guess is the Kekistan flag, a made up country they use to claim that their racism and bigotry is just their culture and if you criticize them for it then you're the real racist.

Oh. I hate everything.

Edit: Two in a row I think!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Majorian posted:

It's amazing to me that they apparently don't realize how awful this looks.

"If you've done the time, you may as well do the crime."

They know that everyone who dislikes them already suspects they're considering it- this projects their "strength" to their base and if the testimony does occur it's only because they "allowed" it.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Majorian posted:

I'm constantly blown away by the fact that the first step to authoritarianism is apparently not giving a poo poo. It's the same kind of brazen dildory that he exhibited with the whole "'move on them like a bitch" comment from the Pussygate tape, just writ large.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Chilichimp posted:

She's loving polish catholic!

Shomer loving shabbos!!!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Chilichimp posted:

She's loving polish catholic!

THAT'S THE JOKE

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

howe_sam posted:

The guy who owns the National Enquirer is a close friend of Trump
e;fb

If it wasn't made clear enough in its cover a couple weeks back, "WORLD WAR III COMING! HOW TRUMP WILL CRUSH OUR 8 ENEMIES!"

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Oh

gently caress

Look at this guys. LOOK AT IT

Santorum: If sun, they why clouds???

If anal sex why Santorum?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

enraged_camel posted:

THAT'S THE JOKE

And when you get a divorce you what? Get a new drivers license, get a new library card? You STOP being Jewish?!?!?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mustached Demon posted:

I think so yeah.

His wife had a miscarriage and each of his kids took turns holding it. It was kind of weird and by kind of I mean what the gently caress.

I'm not going to defend it but in moments of intense grief people do strange things.

When I found out my sister had been murdered I just went totally blank, walked into the middle of the street, and waited for a car to hit me. People don't act rational in extreme situations, and I wager for a nutjob like Santorum this applies ten times over.

Edit: this is no way a defense of Santorum as a person, but rather that humans do some weird loving poo poo when they are in the throes of grief

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 2, 2017

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Chilichimp posted:

And when you get a divorce you what? Get a new drivers license, get a new library card? You STOP being Jewish?!?!?

you declare bankruptcy, and the money you owe to the jewish lobby is forgiven

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Chilichimp posted:

Well you most certainly have to turn in your honorary yarmulke.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

enraged_camel posted:

You're living in the loving past!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Wildeyes posted:

If it wasn't made clear enough in its cover a couple weeks back, "WORLD WAR III COMING! HOW TRUMP WILL CRUSH OUR 8 ENEMIES!"
Oh, I saw that one while waiting in the checkout line at Target. I couldn't come up with eight enemies even by tabloid standards :shobon:

(Seriously, I couldn't. Russia, China, ISIS, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, and North Korea only got me to seven. Al Qaeda? Did they count "Syria" as an enemy? Am I missing Mexico? Venezuela? What the hell does the average tabloid reader think about?)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

enraged_camel posted:

You're killing your father, enraged_camel.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Xae posted:

I get that executive privilege can stop someone from being forced to testify, but can it stop someone who wants to testify?

Once you work for the executive branch is your right to Free Speech forever dependent on the whims of the executive?

I looked it up, and legal experts from a couple different articles are saying that there's no automatic legal penalty for Comey if he defies Trump and testifies anyway. If he still worked for the government, Trump could have compelled him not to testify because he could fire him for insubordination. But its too late for that, Comey is a private citizen now.

It appears the only way to really stop Comey from testifying other than asking him not to and hoping he complies, would be to go to court and get a judge to issue an injunction against Comey from testifying. Then he couldn't testify for fear of violating a court order. Obviously this has never been done before because the person congress wants to hear from in these cases has almost always been an ally of the president or a federal employee who didn't really want to testify anyway, and the assertion of executive privilege stops congress from being able to punish them for refusing, but in this case Comey does not like Trump and wants to talk.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

Alter Ego posted:

Ahahaha, holy poo poo.

"Let's see, how can we cover ourselves in MORE poo poo? How can we possibly look MORE guilty and MORE corrupt than we do right now? I KNOW!!!!"

LaserShark posted:

"What can I do today to make my administration look even more totally corrupt. Wait, I know!"

From this morning, on the exact same subject, too. PLAGIARIST! :rant:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Oh, I saw that one while waiting in the checkout line at Target. I couldn't come up with eight enemies even by tabloid standards :shobon:

(Seriously, I couldn't. Russia, China, ISIS, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, and North Korea only got me to seven. Al Qaeda? Did they count "Syria" as an enemy? Am I missing Mexico? Venezuela? What the hell does the average tabloid reader think about?)

I shared the post with my cubicle neighbor and now we're debating and quibbling over a list of enemies and whether we can reach a definitive eight - by lunatic or rational standards. It's kind of fun on a lazy workday, so thanks National Enquirer.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Rigel posted:

I looked it up, and legal experts from a couple different articles are saying that there's no automatic legal penalty for Comey if he defies Trump and testifies anyway. If he still worked for the government, Trump could have compelled him not to testify because he could fire him for insubordination. But its too late for that, Comey is a private citizen now.

It appears the only way to really stop Comey from testifying other than asking him not to and hoping he complies, would be to go to court and get a judge to issue an injunction against Comey from testifying. Then he couldn't testify for fear of violating a court order. Obviously this has never been done before because the person congress wants to hear from in these cases has almost always been an ally of the president or a federal employee who didn't really want to testify anyway, and the assertion of executive privilege stops congress from being able to punish them for refusing, but in this case Comey does not like Trump and wants to talk.

found the problem with the logic

trump's still gonna do it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Majorian posted:

They don't care.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fart City posted:

I'm constantly blown away by the fact that the first step to authoritarianism is apparently not giving a poo poo. It's the same kind of brazen dildory that he exhibited with the whole "'move on them like a bitch" comment from the Pussygate tape, just writ large.

It's not really that surprising. Rules only have power when people respect them. If nobody is willing to enforce them, as the Republicans have more than demonstrated, then the only thing preventing a total dictatorship is the leader's own sense of decency.

I think the most harm caused by the Trump presidency won't be because of anything he does, but rather just what he represents. He's a man who has spent his whole life brazenly ignoring the rules and being rewarded for it all the way into the highest office. How can anyone respect the rule of law when someone like him comes along and proves that if you ignore it, nobody will stop you?

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

empty whippet box posted:

If we get proof that trump is literally getting cucked by melania in exactly the fashion that internet republicans are obsessed with totally absolutely 100% not being, I wonder how many of them would finally stop supporting him. Not over climate change, misogyny, being a rapist, a moron, none of that. Because cuck

Uuuuh, I think you'll find that Trump ALLOWED the cheating to happen: it's called "delegating" libtard. Trump's alphamalemanmusk is so overpowering that Melania would be on him 24/7 if he didn't and he's got a job to do Making 'Merica Great 'Gain! Unlike that lazy filthy Kenyan who I bet still took time to have sex with his wife on MY tax dollars! I bet the Head of Security even worked cheaper so it was yet another masterful negotiation for Trump.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Does Comey not publicly testifying even do much since he has already told Mueller everything?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Pander posted:

I don't think you understood. I'm not arguing whether or not Trump can assert executive privilege or if he will. Some people (including me) had wondered "well so what if he claims executive privilege, Comey doesn't work for Trump, can he just ignore it?"

The answer appears to be that yes, Comey could tell Trump to gently caress off and testify anyway without any fear of any kind of legal consequences UNLESS Trump runs to court first and quickly convinces a judge to issue an injunction against Comey, and he's running out of time to do that.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Chilichimp posted:

Lay off Ivanka. She's a loving show dog. She has loving papers, dude.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Things you consider enemies and things Trump and his supporters consider enemies are two very separate things.

France, Mexico, Germany and Canada are apparently enemies of Trumps America.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Alrighty, so which paper gets the scoop that drives the weekend?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

FlamingLiberal posted:

Does Comey not publicly testifying even do much since he has already told Mueller everything?

Not really, since Mueller exists, everything else pales in comparison for what Trump should be afraid of.

The consequences here are more political and for our entertainment than legal. The impeachment train won't start down the track until Mueller issues some kind of report and shows congress the evidence he has uncovered.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Pander posted:

what the legal experts are saying is trump doing it doesn't make a difference, not that he shouldn't

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Rigel posted:

I don't think you understood. I'm not arguing whether or not Trump can assert executive privilege or if he will. Some people (including me) had wondered "well so what if he claims executive privilege, Comey doesn't work for Trump, can he just ignore it?"

The answer appears to be that yes, Comey could tell Trump to gently caress off and testify anyway without any fear of any kind of legal consequences UNLESS Trump runs to court first and quickly convinces a judge to issue an injunction against Comey, and he's running out of time to do that.

Oh I understand, I'm just saying I think they'll still try to assert that anything Comey discusses is covered by executive privilege, and therefore anything he releases is fake news/lies/whatever. It'll be nonsensical legalese word salad with the only goal being to disrupt the flow of the story and make his base think Comey is on Team Hillary / Sore About Losing The Election.

Comey's gonna testify regardless.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

This man is falling apart in the brain

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/870745312545173508

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/870745940432478208

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

empty whippet box posted:

lol if he obstructs justice to prevent testimony that said he obstructed justice

The thing I think would be even more amazing is if he obstructed justice to prevent testimoney that said he didn't actually obstruct justice but he's panicking because he thinks it does.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

So I've been hearing different things from different people, but is solar/wind affordable for large scale production without government subsidies?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Pander posted:

Oh I understand, I'm just saying I think they'll still try to assert that anything Comey discusses is covered by executive privilege, and therefore anything he releases is fake news/lies/whatever. It'll be nonsensical legalese word salad with the only goal being to disrupt the flow of the story and make his base think Comey is on Team Hillary / Sore About Losing The Election.

Comey's gonna testify regardless.

Thats not really asserting executive privilege. Of course Trump is going to say Comey is lying, fake news, etc. The purpose of executive privlege is for the president to tell congress that no, they can't compel this person to talk, thats private because of national security. They are thinking about preventing Comey from talking, once he tells Congress about his conversations with Trump, its too late for executive privilege.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Personally if it is that obvious that Comey can just ignore him, I think trump won't try to bluff that he'll pull executive privilege because it would make him look weak when Comey testifies anyway. Or I don't know.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Good thing he pointed that out, we woulda felt hella dumb if our country only had electricity when its sunny.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Kekekela posted:

Good thing he pointed that out, we woulda felt hella dumb if our country only had electricity when its sunny.

I don't get how he can think this is such a slamdunk answer. It's one of those fake "checkmate liberal" statements made in total sincerity.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Alright I'm probably not going to get any love here for this. I view Santorum's fetus thing as a symptom of lovely conservative values towards reproduction. It wasn't a child it was a miscarried fetus. Treating a miscarriage just like the death of a family member does nothing to help normalize that miscarriages happen. It's something like 30%, at the very least, of fertilized eggs end in miscarriage. poo poo, some evidence puts that number closer to 50% but we really do not know. Normalizing miscarriages as a part of life go a long way in helping couples cope with the fact that sometimes the body just doesn't want that fetus/zygote/clump of cells to grow into a human.

Plus I do not believe a fetus is a human until it can survive outside the womb but that's me.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Rigel posted:

Not really, since Mueller exists, everything else pales in comparison for what Trump should be afraid of.

The consequences here are more political and for our entertainment than legal. The impeachment train won't start down the track until Mueller issues some kind of report and shows congress the evidence he has uncovered.

This is precisely backwards,because impeachment is a political, not a legal, process. All the theater is important

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

yeah, reading through US v. Nixon, I see no legitimate basis to argue that executive privilege allows the President to block a subordinate from voluntary testimony, and that would be obviously unconstitutional under the 1st amendment as well

it's purely a way to tell congress to go gently caress itself when congress issues a subpoena, trying to compel disclosure

• Locked thread