Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

evilweasel posted:

yeah, reading through US v. Nixon, I see no legitimate basis to argue that executive privilege allows the President to block a subordinate from voluntary testimony, and that would be obviously unconstitutional under the 1st amendment as well

it's purely a way to tell congress to go gently caress itself when congress issues a subpoena, trying to compel disclosure

Which makes me wonder if the President can be held in contempt of congress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Is the press keeping track of who is going in and out of the WH for this? Kinda want to know who's part of the clown show.

When Donnie was doing his reality show parade of "Who going to be American's next Sec. of State" they had pics of Mitten's having froglegs with Donnie. The NJ fatass was there and Donnie forced him to have The Meatloaf.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

I don't get how he can think this is such a slamdunk answer. It's one of those fake "checkmate liberal" statements made in total sincerity.

Bring up nuclear power to these kinds of people if you really want to see some Olympic level mental gymnastics.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mr Interweb posted:

So I've been hearing different things from different people, but is solar/wind affordable for large scale production without government subsidies?

The main thing about renewable energy is that it is affordable but it's a very long term investment, and most organizations don't want to make investments that won't pay themselves off for 20 years or more (even if the payoff is pretty much guaranteed) when investments with quicker payout exist. The subsidies are meant to shorten the amount of time they have to wait for renewable energy to pay for itself by lowering the initial cost; they aren't required to make it profitable period.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 2, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The GOP just got some bad recruiting news. Their #1 preferred candidate in Montana has decided not to challenge Tester in 2018.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Mr Interweb posted:

So I've been hearing different things from different people, but is solar/wind affordable for large scale production without government subsidies?

Well, all major power plants get massive government subsidies, regardless of type

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Mustached Demon posted:

Alright I'm probably not going to get any love here for this. I view Santorum's fetus thing as a symptom of lovely conservative values towards reproduction. It wasn't a child it was a miscarried fetus. Treating a miscarriage just like the death of a family member does nothing to help normalize that miscarriages happen. It's something like 30%, at the very least, of fertilized eggs end in miscarriage. poo poo, some evidence puts that number closer to 50% but we really do not know. Normalizing miscarriages as a part of life go a long way in helping couples cope with the fact that sometimes the body just doesn't want that fetus/zygote/clump of cells to grow into a human.

Plus I do not believe a fetus is a human until it can survive outside the womb but that's me.

oh good

for a second I thought you were going to defend his cloud comments

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Mr Interweb posted:

In the right places solar especially is the lowest lcoe for new capacity. Wind is pretty cheap in the Midwest as well, but not as cheap as ngcc units

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Zil posted:

Which makes me wonder if the President can be held in contempt of congress.

almost certainly not, but you can hold his underlings who refuse to disclose the information in contempt

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

WeAreTheRomans posted:

This is precisely backwards,because impeachment is a political, not a legal, process. All the theater is important

By political in that sentence I meant "generically bad for the GOP and for Trump in 2020 if he makes it through the term", and by legal I meant "the thing that could get Trump impeached". Comey's testimony is not important for the impeachment process because Mueller's investigation is pretty much going to be what makes or breaks that possibility. Comey would be a hell of a lot more important if there was no special counsel.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
The longer the search goes on the more conspicuous their reluctance to just promote McCabe gets

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Kekekela posted:

Good thing he pointed that out, we woulda felt hella dumb if our country only had electricity when its sunny.

Like, he isn't completely wrong about reduced power at night, but there are tons of mitigation strategies, ranging from diversification of energy generation (using wind, hydro, natural gas, nuclear, etc in addition to solar) to storage of energy (battery farms, water pumping, etc). Like, if we were planning to move the country 100% to a SINGLE system of generation there would be issues, but no one is suggesting that outside of imaginary strawmen.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Mr Interweb posted:

oh good

for a second I thought you were going to defend his cloud comments

I was once told the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics proves that evolution could not happen.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rigel posted:

The GOP just got some bad recruiting news. Their #1 preferred candidate in Montana has decided not to challenge Tester in 2018.

goddamn

that senate seat is one of the only two promotions their candidate can get (governor or senator, he's currently the AG), it won't come up again for 6 years, governor won't come up till 2020, you gotta think that it's going to be roooooooooooooough in 2018 not to take a shot at one of the most vulnerable senate seats around

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Kekekela posted:

Good thing he pointed that out, we woulda felt hella dumb if our country only had electricity when its sunny.

As much as I hate to admit it, it is a legitimate problem in our electrical grid. When the electric potential isn't used, it just gets wasted. Predicting loads is a major part of running an electric utility. The problem is magnified on smaller islands like Hawaii or Guam where a large part of their electricity comes from fossil fuel generators. Spin up too many and you're wasting fuel, too few and you have voltage dips. "Why don't we just store it?" you ask. But storing electricity (especially alternating current) is actually kind of a pain. You generally lose a decent chunk when you're attempting to store it and then there's the inherent dangers in having lots of energy stored in one place. Even if you do it utility side there's a lot of complicated issues.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

CrazySalamander posted:

As much as I hate to admit it, it is a legitimate problem in our electrical grid. When the electric potential isn't used, it just gets wasted. Predicting loads is a major part of running an electric utility. The problem is magnified on smaller islands like Hawaii or Guam where a large part of their electricity comes from fossil fuel generators. Spin up too many and you're wasting fuel, too few and you have voltage dips. "Why don't we just store it?" you ask. But storing electricity (especially alternating current) is actually kind of a pain. You generally lose a decent chunk when you're attempting to store it and then there's the inherent dangers in having lots of energy stored in one place. Even if you do it utility side there's a lot of complicated issues.

nobody's switching over the entire electric grid to solar tomorrow

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Elotana posted:

The longer the search goes on the more conspicuous their reluctance to just promote McCabe gets

Yeah, definitely.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

evilweasel posted:

goddamn

that senate seat is one of the only two promotions their candidate can get (governor or senator, he's currently the AG), it won't come up again for 6 years, governor won't come up till 2020, you gotta think that it's going to be roooooooooooooough in 2018 not to take a shot at one of the most vulnerable senate seats around

They could just get some guy to beat up all the Dem candidates and the incumbent. Would probably win with an R next to his name

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Rigel posted:

Spectacular. Quist may not have won, but he sent the right signal.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

evilweasel posted:

goddamn

Watching a folk singer with plenty of scandals and no experience almost win probably scared him. If he thinks a wave is coming next year, he wouldn't want to drown in it and have the stench of failure on him when his chance at governor comes in 2020.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rigel posted:

Watching a folk singer with plenty of scandals and no experience almost win probably scared him. If he thinks a wave is coming next year, he wouldn't want to drown in it and have the stench of failure on him when his chance at governor comes in 2020.

yeah, exactly

chances to get a Senate seat don't come up often and usually people are all but knifing the other candidates in their party to take on such a vulnerable senate seat held by the opposition, people going "hmm, pass" is a big loving deal because he's saying he thinks that wave is coming and it's gonna be brutal

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Tatsuta Age posted:

They could just get some guy to beat up all the Dem candidates and the incumbent. Would probably win with an R next to his name

Tester is a weird case. He's a big square-jawed farmer who gives off a tough guy vibe, and he picks his votes carefully. He's one of the first guys to grab a hall pass when the Dems don't need him (but he did vote for the ACA when the Dems had to have his vote). Barely won in 2006 during that big anti-GWB midterm wave, hung on by 3 points during Obama's re-election, and he looks like he might get lucky again in 2018 with another wave.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/870755480846651392

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

im so close dont stop

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Get hosed sessions Get hosed sessions Get hosed sessions Get hosed sessions Get hosed sessions Get hosed sessions Get hosed sessions Get hosed sessions Get hosed sessions Get hosed sessions Get hosed sessions

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Good, focus fire the monstrous gnome down asap

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

evilweasel posted:

yeah, exactly

chances to get a Senate seat don't come up often and usually people are all but knifing the other candidates in their party to take on such a vulnerable senate seat held by the opposition, people going "hmm, pass" is a big loving deal because he's saying he thinks that wave is coming and it's gonna be brutal

Or he may just have skeletons in his closet that as a state AG he's not a big enough fish for anyone to go after but if he ran for senate that stuff would come out

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

this world isn't good enough to throw jeff sessions in jail but i can hope

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

The Glumslinger posted:

Like, he isn't completely wrong about reduced power at night, but there are tons of mitigation strategies, ranging from diversification of energy generation (using wind, hydro, natural gas, nuclear, etc in addition to solar) to storage of energy (battery farms, water pumping, etc). Like, if we were planning to move the country 100% to a SINGLE system of generation there would be issues, but no one is suggesting that outside of imaginary strawmen.
The economics get a little complicated, because it's hilariously unprofitable to build large plants (nuclear, nat'l gas) unless you intend to run them at full capacity all the time (baseload power). They are not good at supplementing solar/wind or chasing peaks. You would also need enough such reserve capacity to fully deploy to meet demand in an instance of low sun/wind, which means even more unprofitable capacity held in reserve if you still try to make wind/solar the front edge of your energy grid. Plus, storage options are not all that great at industrial scales. Plus going too heavily on solar can cause issues with industrial processes with large inductive motor loads, since solar generates purely resistive loads.

Santorum was being disingenuous, but there are issues without good solutions right now in trying to go green. "Creating diversity in energy sources" sounds sensible but it's a lot harder to do without intense and unprofitable over-development of capacity and storage.

Energieweinde in Germany presents an excellent example of how the best of intentions can lead to awful results when you ignore science and economics in favor of arbitrary goals.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I feel like this is all just stuff we already assumed to be true, but good to see confirmation of it.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

How much do you want to bet Trump's opsec is so bad the French, British, and Israelis are aiding the FBI investigations?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

evilweasel posted:

this world isn't good enough to throw jeff sessions in jail but i can hope

If he does, I hope he gets the max sentence, if only for the irony (appropriateness? I don't know what irony means anymore :ironicat: )

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

How much do you want to bet Trump's opsec is so bad the French, British, and Israelis are aiding the FBI investigations?

The whole world must come together to stage an intervention for America.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

evilweasel posted:

nobody's switching over the entire electric grid to solar tomorrow

No, but there's always the possibility that the current set up will be stripped and sold by a Trumpist republican for a quick buck.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

evilweasel posted:

goddamn

I can't believe he won't even try. What's the downside to competing against Tester and losing? Loss of political capital? Loss of AG position? I figure the name recognition isn't a bad thing. Gianforte lost a statewide MT election before winning one, it doesn't seem to be a death knell.

It just looks like fear of losing for its own sake to me?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

According to conspiracy Twitter (which has had a pretty decent record on this stuff so far), they definitely are and were sources of much of the sigint that kicked all this off.

e: everyone spies on everyone, and no one cool likes Trump

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

empty whippet box posted:

I feel like this could be different because they wouldn't want to be associated with a cuck or be seen to be the devoted follower of a cuck. They call him alpha all the time and see themselves as alpha. They might be able to be in denial about it actually happening but they won't be able to deny that other people think he's a cuck, and therefore his followers are also cucks. They already sincerely believe that truth doesn't exist or is less important than what you can get people to believe / get away with claiming is true.

I realize this is insanely stupid bullshit but I really think a lot of these people think this way.

I find the whole concept of Alpha/beta when it comes to human social structures to be silly to begin with, We just aren't that kind of animal.

That said I have no doubt that they'd find some way to rationalize it in their minds, after all if the whole "alpha/beta" idea had any actual validity a social group can only have one Alpha, it's kind of the point of the definition so if they were capable of actual logic they'd realize that saying that he's Alpha automatically makes them all betas.

So yeah as long as he's in their Tribe they'll either deny evidence no matter how strong (kind of like they do with literally everything else) or find someway to rationalize their continued support for their leader , after all that's what betas do :biotruths:

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Pander posted:

I can't believe he won't even try. What's the downside to competing against Tester and losing? Loss of political capital? Loss of AG position? I figure the name recognition isn't a bad thing. Gianforte lost a statewide MT election before winning one, it doesn't seem to be a death knell.

It just looks like fear of losing for its own sake to me?

The downside is the opportunity cost of passing up a shot at the governor's mansion, which is probably what he'll be running for instead.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

thechosenone posted:

Personally if it is that obvious that Comey can just ignore him, I think trump won't try to bluff that he'll pull executive privilege because it would make him look weak when Comey testifies anyway. Or I don't know.

lol

The Trump rule/doctrine: do the stupidest thing possible for the stupidest reasons

I am 95% certain the admin will try to assert executive privilege to block Comey's testimony, then fail. That's their MO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

eviltastic posted:

The downside is the opportunity cost of passing up a shot at the governor's mansion, which is probably what he'll be running for instead.

Why would he pass up a shot at the gov?

2018 - run for senate

If win: Great!
If Lose: 2020 run for gov

Why can't he do both if he loses the senate race?

• Locked thread