Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

CBJSprague24 posted:

Eh, Season 5 of Justified sucked but Season 6 was alright. I'm hoping this is taking the same path.

That said, if this series ends any time short of December 26, 1991, I'm gonna be piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissed.

I'd go as far as to say that even though S5 of Justified blew, 6 was so good and that especially the finale was probably the most satisfying damned episode of TV that comes to mind period. It was just a pitch perfect ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

CBJSprague24 posted:

Eh, Season 5 of Justified sucked but Season 6 was alright. I'm hoping this is taking the same path.

Season 5 of Justified sucked because it was treading water after setting the table and raising the stakes as high as they were gonna go in Season 4, and because of that I always figured something happened behind the scenes and FX asked for one season more than the writers wanted.

Meanwhile Season 5 of The Americans was "ok I guess" because it spent a lot of time setting tables and doing slow burn character studies

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I cant imagine watching 50+ shows. Like even if this season kinda sucked it was still way way better than the endless sea of unwatchable dogshit that has been produced in the last 10 years.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Baronash posted:

I initially took it completely differently. I don't think she was solely lamenting the loss of her possessions, but realizing that, as you said, that her environment is completely alien to the one she grew up with. She's loyal, but she's not stupid, I think part of that scene was her realizing that the Soviet Union would never feel like home to her kids.

That was my read on it too.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The best thing about the end of Justified was that they didn't take the easy way out and kill at least one main character.

banned from Starbucks posted:

I cant imagine watching 50+ shows. Like even if this season kinda sucked it was still way way better than the endless sea of unwatchable dogshit that has been produced in the last 10 years.

In terms of quantity, I could barely handle this schedule in the last couple months, about the busiest stretch of TV watching I've ever had:
Monday:
-NHL playoffs
-WWE (RAW)
-Better Call Saul

Tuesday:
-NHL playoffs
-WWE (Smackdown)
-Deadliest Catch (might catch back up on)
-The Americans

Wednesday:
-NHL playoffs
-Fargo
-Archer (gave up on; wasn't liking Dreamland)

In terms of quality, you're right, there's so much crap out that, even if I had more time to watch other shows, there aren't many I feel like I'd find.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 1, 2017

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Henchman of Santa posted:

He had a conversation with Elizabeth where he explains that Kimmie's dad got promoted to head of the Soviet division and they concluded that they're stuck here

Oh.

It's super hosed up for Henry to not go to boarding school then.

And impractical.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

canyoneer posted:

That was my read on it too.
That would certainly make sense as well. One other possible interpretation is that she could've recalled Tuan's comment about them being petite bourgeoisie and realized that it's true and they've become too soft and not hardcore commies like Tuan.

banned from Starbucks posted:

I cant imagine watching 50+ shows.
Neither can I, but it's actually not as crazy as it sounds when you think about it. Let's say you watch just one show per day on most days in a year. With 12-episode seasons, that's already 30 different shows you could be watching without spending all day staring at the TV. I basically do that but pick just one show I haven't seen before and watch it beginning to end., however.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
If you can't imagine it, then don't imagine it I guess.

e: Also, I've never heard anyone say that TV has been bad over the last 10 years. It is universally agreed that the last 10 years have been just about the best 10 years in the history of television, but everyone has an opinion I suppose.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 2, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

mobby_6kl posted:

That would certainly make sense as well. One other possible interpretation is that she could've recalled Tuan's comment about them being petite bourgeoisie and realized that it's true and they've become too soft and not hardcore commies like Tuan.

Tuan's not a hardcore commie, he's a kid that read a little too into Marx instead of Ayn Rand. He's just living his life via a borrowed ideology.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
This entire season has just been a brilliant troll to set us up for a season 6 where we have Kimmy episodes all the time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The Americans is going for an emmy with the first "It's technically ephebophilia" sex scene.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I feel like the showrunners had written an incredible final season and then remembered that they still had one more to go and then scrambled to make a [well written and acted] filler season where nothing of consequence happens.

bowser fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jun 2, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

cult member at airport posted:

I feel like the showrunners had written an incredible final season and then remembered that they still had one more to go and then scrambled to make a [well written and acted] filler season where nothing of consequence happens.

Something of consequence *did* happen! FXX has a prime candidate for a Mr. & Mrs. Smith pseudo-comedy ripoff.

"He's an FBI Counterintelligence agent, she's a KGB sleeper agent. And they're married? Tune in next Fall for 'Beeman's Hive!'"

FXX: gently caress you, we know you're only here for the Simpsons marathons and Archer.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

e: Also, I've never heard anyone say that TV has been bad over the last 10 years. It is universally agreed that the last 10 years have been just about the best 10 years in the history of television, but everyone has an opinion I suppose.

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2017/05/how-tv-became-respectable-without-getting-better

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TheCenturion posted:

Really, this season was half a season. I seem to recall the show runners saying, before the season started, 'this entire season is nothing but setups for the final season. Slow burn, no real payoffs this year.' I'm not looking forward to waiting until next year for the finale.

cult member at airport posted:

This, unfortunately, is the exact opposite of what they've been saying.

quote:

It's a complicated mix, and I think we’ll give you a much better answer for that after you’ve seen next season. It’s hard to discuss that fully without too many spoilers for next season. But it is probably, in our heads, more of an independent season than people think. I hear some people saying, for example, “Well, it seems like a very slow season but maybe that’s because they’re setting up stuff for next season.” I'm afraid, for those who find it slow, no such excuse.

Full interview here: https://www.vox.com/2017/5/31/15714714/the-americans-season-5-review-interview-podcast

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 16 minutes!
What is this shows fourth season? Shows been a boring plotless mess since season 2

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

If you can't imagine it, then don't imagine it I guess.

so what theres still only like a couple watchable shows a year compared to the mountain of pure poo poo thats put out just like with movies.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

This is not what the article is about, but if you watched the wire, and you still think it's a show about an 'angsty white policeman' like the writer of this article does, then you have completely and utterly missed the point.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Tuan's not a hardcore commie, he's a kid that read a little too into Marx instead of Ayn Rand. He's just living his life via a borrowed ideology.

He's a North Vietnamese agent, tho. Unless you're saying every non-Soviet communist is (and non-Greek democrat) is on the same field.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Among the shows I watch on a regular basis, there are two things which make me groan out loud in agony: Tammy episodes on Squidbillies and Kimmie episodes on The Americans.

Despera posted:

What is this shows fourth season? Shows been a boring plotless mess since season 2

I actually had to look it up on Wikipedia: Fun With Pastor Tim, EPCOT, Martha gets banished to :ussr:, Gaad gets fired and killed, Glanders, and Nina gets offed?

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
I pretty much agree with everything in this article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.b520f2b6a823

So is the Oleg story over?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

kanonvandekempen posted:

This is not what the article is about, but if you watched the wire, and you still think it's a show about an 'angsty white policeman' like the writer of this article does, then you have completely and utterly missed the point.

until they backed off a little in the 4th season mcnulty was essentially the show's main protagonist. a lot more time is spent on his personal life than with any other character

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Number Ten Cocks posted:

He's a North Vietnamese agent, tho. Unless you're saying every non-Soviet communist is (and non-Greek democrat) is on the same field.

The interesting thing here is, there were varying degrees of 'Communist.'

Tuan has two things going for him. One: North Vietnam was just coming off of the Vietnam war. The Soviet Union hadn't fought this kind of war since WW2, really. Meaning that P&E don't have that immediacy; their way of life is 'under attack' and 'threatened' by the capitalist pigs, but Tuan grew up during an actual armed conflict, probably lost family members, and may well have been involved in war activities directly. Second, he's young. He hasn't been away from the Party long enough to shake some of the shiney off. He's still a zealous, wide-eyed True Believer.

Ok, three things. Third, the Chinese and Vietnamese have long, long considered the USSR to be sell-outs, and not True Communists. Mentioning self-criticism? That's a nice touch. Meanwhile, he's throwing the idea of petit bourgeois in Elizabeth's face. Meanwhile, over in Moscow, we see Oleg, part of the Nomenklatura, who gets to shop in special stores that his boss doesn't, whom the KGB need special permission to investigate, because in this classless society of workers and peasants, he's explicitly a member of the upper class, while his boss explicitly isn't. Oleg is suspected of outright treason, and the KGB can't do anything but have polite conversations with him in an office. Meanwhile, Nina is accused of the same drat thing, and gets thrown into a gulag, pressured into sexing up another prisoner in exchange for some preferential treatment, and eventually, her file is marked Verkhnevolzhskie Magistralnye Nefteprovody, because hey, she's not upper class. Some guy is accused, not by the KGB but by the drat department of transportation, of being a bit preferential with the bulk food deliveries, and Oleg plus boss, despite being basically random office workers, can simply break into his apartment, arrest him, and throw him into solitary. Hell, Oleg's mother was thrown into the camps for whatever reason, and was pulled out just because his father said so.

This entire season has been actively demonstrating that the cause Elizabeth believes in so whole-heartedly is complete and utter bullshit, and Elizabeth starting to realize that. Philip has realized it all along, I think, but he's a patriot, where she's a believer. Like I said before, Tuan is what Elizabeth used to be.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I wonder if the 10+ minute long digging scene was meant to be a metaphor for all of season 5. Well filmed and acted, great bits of subtle characterization, but agonizingly drawn out and ultimately unnecessary.

Edit: Just read the Washington Post article posted earlier and they made the same connection. I think it actually was intentional?

bowser fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 2, 2017

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I really enjoyed this season. :smith:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'll be honest, I have no idea what happened with Oleg this season or how it related to what was going on back in the States. He was investigating a grocery racket or something?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Oleg's story seemed to be him trying to make sure the system was fair for everyone. Then he realized he has a massive leg up over the people he is investigating. It's easy for him to expect people to follow the rules, because he lives with his powerful father and wants for nothing. He's preaching to people who are just trying to make ends meet in the system they are given.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I enjoy this show, and this season, but I thought it was the weakest season thus far, if only for lack of story progression. I think an important thing to point out is that this show is more akin to Mad Men then a straight up spy action show.

I'm kind of hoping Philip goes home and sees his whole family, bangs Martha, and then gets to watch Henry become a sick nasty CIA agent.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oleg's story (including Oleg's Mom and Oleg's Dad stories) was the best part of the season.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I love that poo poo... Such great acting, all in Russian. Oleg is the best.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Oleg is great. I hope he comes back to the show. Been missing him since he left at the end of season 4.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I also really like the Oleg adventures!

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I love that they're willing to actually do foreign languages.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Costa Ronin has barely been in anything, and only one thing that was before this show. I really hope he catches a break, he is a fantastic actor in either language.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Oleg is great. I hope he comes back to the show. Been missing him since he left at the end of season 4.

it's too bad that by the time oleg makes progress on the corruption, the USSR will collapse and he'll have to start all over again, this time going after the oligarchs :(

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
This was the only season where I really tuned out during the Russian scenes :( I'll go back and watch at some point, but the first two episodes it felt like his plot was so distanced from what was going on in the States that I just kinda stopped paying attention. This is also the first season I've caught live instead of binging, so that might have had something to do with it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

maskenfreiheit posted:

it's too bad that by the time oleg makes progress on the corruption, the USSR will collapse and he'll have to start all over again, this time going after the oligarchs :(

No, he'll *become* one of the oligarchs. His father will probably position him to become the "Truck Baron of Russia."

He'll have a superyacht he'll name the Disco Olegante.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 2, 2017

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

Oleg's story seemed to be him trying to make sure the system was fair for everyone. Then he realized he has a massive leg up over the people he is investigating. It's easy for him to expect people to follow the rules, because he lives with his powerful father and wants for nothing. He's preaching to people who are just trying to make ends meet in the system they are given.

oleg's story was him becoming disillusioned with the soviet system

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Hot Take: This season was cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Disco Olegante.

:vince:

• Locked thread