Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KharlanTree
Aug 21, 2014

Zerk zerk zerk zerk zerk
You see me I be
Zerk zerk zerk zerk zerk

Can Of Worms posted:

Hello, Fiesta veterans. Do you find your Fiesta runs lacking? Are you getting tired of seeing awful Geomancers and boring Dragoons in your Fiesta party? Do you wish you could have something more... exciting? Try spicing up your next Fiesta with a new...

:siren: Final Fantasy V Advance Randomizer:siren:

Are class defaults still the same? Does a Monk!Bartz with !Mix still get a Barehanded bonus? Does a Blue Mage!Lenna with !Sing still lear Bue Magic innately? Otherwise, this is awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

KharlanTree posted:

Are class defaults still the same? Does a Monk!Bartz with !Mix still get a Barehanded bonus? Does a Blue Mage!Lenna with !Sing still lear Bue Magic innately? Otherwise, this is awesome!

Innate skills are still there, yeah. Learning, Barehanded, etc. still in their respective classes.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

:swoon:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
So what happens if you just get say White lvl 4? Do you only get level 4 white spells, or everything below?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Can Of Worms posted:

Hello, Fiesta veterans. Do you find your Fiesta runs lacking? Are you getting tired of seeing awful Geomancers and boring Dragoons in your Fiesta party? Do you wish you could have something more... exciting? Try spicing up your next Fiesta with a new...

:siren: Final Fantasy V Advance Randomizer:siren:

Just drag a Final Fantasy V Advance (US only!) ROM onto the randomizer and get two randomized ROMs in return! You can even use patched ROMs, as long as they don't change job skills. That's right, you can randomize Fiesta Patch and Sound Patch if that's what your heart desires! The program will also spit out two text files that summarize the changes in each ROM.

The first ROM you'll get is the Mild edition, which randomizes what the default skill of a job is, and the skill tree (i.e. what skills you get when you level it up.) The second ROM is the Extra Spicy edition, which does the same thing as the Mild edition...

:siren::siren::siren:...except it's different for every character!!!:siren::siren::siren:

That's right, in the Extra Spicy ROM, a Bartz Monk will have a different skill loadout than a Faris Monk. For example:
code:
Bartz Monk
    Default: !Revive
    Skill 0: 15 !Black 1
    Skill 1: 40 !White 3
    Skill 2: 80 Equip Armour
    Skill 3: 200 Dual Wield
    Skill 4: 280 Equip Ribbon
Faris Monk
    Default: !Drink
    Skill 0: 30 !White 2
    Skill 1: 65 !Lance
    Skill 2: 90 !Spellblade 4
    Skill 3: 200 !Flee
    Skill 4: 440 !Mug
Note: This is still under development as there are a few bugs with the Extra Spicy edition, but it should be mostly functional. I am aware that some parts of the menu doesn't correctly reflect AP costs at the moment. If you find any bugs, or there are specific features you want, let me know!

I've had a couple jobs show spellblade in their extraspicy lists but they're not selectable.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Khisanth Magus posted:

So what happens if you just get say White lvl 4? Do you only get level 4 white spells, or everything below?
Everything up to level 4. Although that reminds me there might be a problem with how FF5 currently handles spell skills.

neongrey posted:

I've had a couple jobs show spellblade in their extraspicy lists but they're not selectable.
Do you mean you unlocked the skill but it's not appearing in the menu? That might be an annoying "feature" of the original game that requires you to learn all the lower level skills first, I'll update the randomizer to fix that ASAP!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Potentially of interest to some people here: How Three Kids With No Experience Beat Square And Translated Final Fantasy V Into English

quote:

One day in the late 1990s, Myria walked into the Irvine High School computer room and spotted a boy playing Final Fantasy V. There were two unusual things about this. The first was that Final Fantasy V had not actually come out in the United States. To play the 1992 Japanese game in English, you’d have to download a ROM, then install the unofficial fan translation patch that had recently begun circulating the internet. Myria knew about this patch because of the other unusual thing: she helped make it.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

wait, sorry, I got this.

https://twitter.com/ktwfc/status/833620188725547008

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Can Of Worms posted:

Do you mean you unlocked the skill but it's not appearing in the menu? That might be an annoying "feature" of the original game that requires you to learn all the lower level skills first, I'll update the randomizer to fix that ASAP!

Yeah. Yay!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

For those curious, plain #blameeverhate showed as Chaos run under the Players tab so I'm assuming it still works!

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Doom Goon posted:

For those curious, plain #blameeverhate showed as Chaos run under the Players tab so I'm assuming it still works!

Excellent, I never got to do that. Glad I'll get the chance this year.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/870457952712499200

Gilgabot finally responded to me.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

neongrey posted:

Yeah. Yay!
Updated the randomizer! It's the same link as the original post. The randomizer now applies a fix to let magic levels work properly. If you already have a randomized ROM that you need fixed, the second program (spell-fix) will only apply the fix and leave the rest unchanged.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Probably going to regret doing a Berserker Risk on my first ever fiesta but gently caress it, there are too many awesome people donating money and the least I can do is pay them back with my tears :getin:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

It warms my heart to see so many first-time players in here. You're in for a treat.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Alright, here goes! Third time entering the Fiesta, and hopefully second time finishing. Random run, as last year.

And to make this more fun:

:toxx: I'll be watering the Berserker tree at the tune of $10 for each goon-completed run using The Run's jobs, between them being officially announced and The Run starting. (Once per goon, no total upper limit) :toxx:

Get those runs in :getin:

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Mikl posted:

Alright, here goes! Third time entering the Fiesta, and hopefully second time finishing. Random run, as last year.

:toxx: I'll be watering the Berserker tree at the tune of $10 for each goon-completed run using The Run's jobs, between them being officially announced and The Run starting. (Once per goon, no total upper limit) :toxx:

Between the announcement and The Run? So, independent "speedruns" with proof provided?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
When are they officially locked in, anyway?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Supremezero posted:

When are they officially locked in, anyway?

June 8 @ midnight, give or take when RK wakes up if it's not automated properly/at all.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
That gives like 10-ish days for people to rack up Berserker Tree cashmoney by using jobs from The Run which should be more than enough time for anyone that wants to do that. Even if it ends up being a miserably bad set of jobs.

What's going to make The Run itself suck with some job combos isn't necessarily NED or anything; it's that they have to do all tablets which means getting through everyone's favourite Rug Wizard...

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
Can I get a link to the fiesta patch/ sound patch in the OP please?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

StrangeAeon posted:

Between the announcement and The Run? So, independent "speedruns" with proof provided?

Exactly this. As for proof, a screenshot of Exdeath dying with the four jobs in it is enough, I'm not going to be more picky than Gilgabot on this. (Also, you don't have to do anything more than kill Exdeath, you can skip all the optional stuff.)

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

It warms my heart to see so many first-time players in here. You're in for a treat.

Just prepare yourself for an onslaught of very dumb questions.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Shadow225 posted:

There are no dumb questions, there is only ddarch :colbert:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Shadow225 posted:

I wouldn't make the thread/run IRC/run Discord if I wasn't. :)

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Mikl posted:

Exactly this. As for proof, a screenshot of Exdeath dying with the four jobs in it is enough, I'm not going to be more picky than Gilgabot on this. (Also, you don't have to do anything more than kill Exdeath, you can skip all the optional stuff.)

Do you also accept Randomized runs?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
If it gets someone to the end of their run it aint dumb. I just wish I could remember more than I do about this game, but that's what that google doc in the op is for :3:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Honestly, I've found in FF5, the dumbest questions aren't the ones you ask, but the ones you refuse to ask because "you've run the numbers, this way is just better".

Exception: "Where's the loving Dragon Fang?"

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Mikl posted:

Yessssss :getin: :black101:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Shadow225 posted:

It's not unusual for someone to have questions the first time they play a game. It took me a while to get the hang of certain mechanics, and y'all here and in the IRC were extremely helpful.

So don't sweat it, newcomers. We'll help you along the way we ourselves were helped along when we started. Like a famous grocer said: If U need 2 ask, ask!

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Is anyone doing a name pledge this year, like the Tots for Dr. Tot last year?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Mikl posted:

Adding this to the third post. I'll also add any name-based pledge drives if they happen. :)

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Adding this to the third post. I'll also add any name-based pledge drives if they happen. :)

You mean like that one guy. The guy with the thing.

Professor... Lott?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am considering doing a (normal, non fiesta) run through the game before the fiesta starts proper since I haven't played since the PSX release and I never did beat the final area. A little afraid I may burn myself out though.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
praying that I do not get triple dancer ever again (thankfully carried by chemist, but still)

also pre-regged pure chaos with BERSERKER RISK. bring it on Gilgabot

How Rude fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 2, 2017

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

In retrospect, this might have been a mistake :ohdear:

Please, I need monies to live, don't be too harsh on my bank account... :ohdear:

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Mikl posted:

In retrospect, this might have been a mistake :ohdear:

Please, I need monies to live, don't be too harsh on my bank account... :ohdear:

Okay, everyone in the thread must now do this run.

Honestly, I think you might be saved by how irritating this run will be. White Mage first crystal is always boring as heck, Dragoon sucks, and Beastmaster + Berserker sounds like an irritating combo.

Maybe if someone burns money to get ninja instead.

But probably not, you're likely to get your bank dried up!

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 2, 2017

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Alright what are some ace names for our protagonist? Here's a list I came up with

* Dilz
* Cheekz
* Ballz
* imagay
* Cloud
* Galuf
* GILGAM

What are some memorable Butz alter egos of yesteryear? I need some ideas obviously :(

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

jyrque posted:

Alright what are some ace names for our protagonist? Here's a list I came up with

* Dilz
* Cheekz
* Ballz
* imagay
* Cloud
* Galuf
* GILGAM

What are some memorable Butz alter egos of yesteryear? I need some ideas obviously :(

In memory of Zerky?

Particularly if there's some minimum Berserker Threshold to meet for it to count. Like, 2 or more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

jyrque posted:

* GILGAM

Am reminded of a Jack L Chalker series of novels. Thanks. :v:

• Locked thread