Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Vivek is clearing cap space to offer Buddy Hield the first $50,000,000/year contract in the history of the league. Steph Curry 2.0. Lightyears ahead of being lightyears ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Bigass Moth posted:

What are the five best NBA player tweets of all time and is there one better than the glazed donut rear end face?

Also Phil Jackson's 11 Championship Rings tweet is Top 3 all time from anyone.

I don't know about that, the 11 rings tweet was funny until we realized it was just marketing and not an old man being bad at twitter.

Cool Buff Man posted:

I'm not sure if it was instagram or twitter but Danny Green's holocaust selfie is the best piece of NBA social media. Also this

https://twitter.com/paulpierce34/status/618860245025030144

top tier tweet.

IMO most of the best NBA tweets are all the ones from either early twitter or before players became famous.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Spacebump posted:

IMO most of the best NBA tweets are all the ones from either early twitter or before players became famous.

The exception being the entirety of Embiid's twitter catalogue obviously.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Ammanas posted:

Max salaries are there for owners benefit, they will not remove

The draft, max contract and salary cap are labor crushing mechanisms disguised as parity functions

The cap and max contracts don't affect labor's share, just how it's organized. They minimize inequality within the players not between the players and the owners. Many players sign deals that are effectively for a % of the team's cap and not a flat number, and no player is actually going to get the exact amount of their contract because it's modulated by the precise outcome of the BRI calculation. The cap doesn't actually affect what the players are paid - if it miraculously turned out that the BRI was double what they expected this year, everyone's pay would double but their contract wouldn't change.

Also the actual way to prevent the current GSW team is to fix restricted free agency. If Steph had not been an RFA he wouldn't have signed an extension in 2012 because he'd have been able to expect a max from another team for sure just on potential. As it was, he risked another injury shortened season and then no one would offer him and tie up their space on a lottery ticket. He should have gone to RFA anyway and his agent is dumb, but if he had been an UFA or if RFA didn't allow the other team to hold your cap space hostage, he'd be on a max right now.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

attackmole posted:

Yeah rumour is that Tolliver was a great veteran. Wasn't there some report about him working with the young guys and telling them something like "my job is to teach you how to take my job"? That kind of frankness, humiliate and willing to teach while being putting up solid minutes as a stretch four off the bench seems like it would be worth the 6 mill he was getting paid in this economy, but I ain't Vivek.
Yeah, he was a great presence. Skal wouldn't have been close to the player he was for us if he didn't have Tolliver in his ear for much of the season. He was the kind of guy you want around, especially on a rebuilding team, and extra especially if you claim CHARACTERS MATTERS. Maybe Vlade is gearing up to offer our cap as a salary dump, but I'd honestly rather pay $8M for a guy who will help the talent we have be the best it can than another late first round pick or cap space

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's kinda crazy still that Steph only managed 11 million annual but someone like Chandler Parsons and Noah easily got big money despite similar spotty injury histories. I should look up who his agent was at that time.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The entire Deandre Jordan thing was hilarious

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Tae posted:

It's kinda crazy still that Steph only managed 11 million annual but someone like Chandler Parsons and Noah easily got big money despite similar spotty injury histories. I should look up who his agent was at that time.

Steph's 11 million in 2012 when he signed it was a bigger % of the cap(19%) than Noah got and only a bit under what Chandler got. There were a lot of people here that called that contract a bad one when it was signed.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lockback posted:

Steph's 11 million in 2012 when he signed it was a bigger % of the cap(19%) than Noah got and only a bit under what Chandler got. There were a lot of people here that called that contract a bad one when it was signed.

They were wrong but in fairness the Gilbert Arenas collapse was fresh in everyone's mind. Curry missed 40 games the season before. Still, by the end of the season everyone knew he'd hosed up, he was a 100% max player that offseason if he waited. His max offer was 15 million and Dallas, Toronto, Brooklyn, and Phoenix were all in a position to max him and be better off for it even with the people they'd have to give up.

edit wait did he resign in 2012 or 2011? either way in summer 2013 he could have gotten a max from Dallas, Detroit, Atlanta, Milwaukee, Utah for sure, Houston if they hadn't opted for Dwight, and the Blazers if they had gotten creative but they already had Lillard. Looks like he signed the extension a couple of days before the 2012 season started, so yeah if he'd gone to RFA summer 2013 he'd be on a max in GS, Dallas, Detroit, or Atlanta right now I bet, and Durant would be in OKC or Boston.

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 2, 2017

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Tae posted:

I mean, he signed back when the cap about about 40% lower, but the main he reason he signed for so cheaply was that he was coming off severe injury issues. The season before he signed the extension, he had only played 23 games (in the lockout shortened year, but he still missed well over 50% of the season with recurring ankle injuries).

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Lockback posted:

He had the same ankle injury over and over, and there were many smart people who thought his problems could not be solved given the rigors of the NBA season, and he that he was destined to go out quietly, like a minature Greg Oden.

I'm still not sure why he hasn't, to be honest. He deliberately falls on his rear end every time he shoots with another player's foot anywhere nearby, but even with doing that, he has to put a ton of strain on his little baby ankles a hundred times per game.

predicto fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 2, 2017

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
He got better shoes.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

predicto posted:

He had the same ankle injury over and over, and there were many smart people who thought his problems could not be solved given the rigors of the NBA season, and he that he was destined to go out quietly, like a minature Greg Oden.

I'm still not sure why he hasn't, to be honest. He deliberately falls on his rear end every time he shoots with another player's foot anywhere nearby, but even with doing that, he has to put a ton of strain on his little baby ankles a hundred times per game.

He apparently has done a lot of hip strengthening. I guess part of the problem was he had little baby hips and put too much strain on his little baby ankles to compensate.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Ammanas posted:

He got better shoes.

Those Curry Chef 2s were therapeutic? That explains their look.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I believe last night was the first time that the Warriors won a Finals game since the Curry dadshoes dropped.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Ammanas posted:

He got better shoes.

Gotta be the shoes.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lessail posted:

I don't want uncommon, I want never again.

Ban players from switching teams. You must stay with your original team just like a samurai pledges allegiance to his master in feudal Japan. You must play basketball until your owning team says otherwise. IF a player wants to opt out they MUST commit seppuku.

So basically the Spurs win the vast majority of the titles from 1999-2017. Problem solved. No more ring chasers.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

They could always just point him in the direction of a junior high school in Mexico.

'Back in 2004, Bryant accused Malone of pushing up on his wife. According to an ESPN story at the time, Malone’s agent, Dwight Manley, told the LA Times that Vanessa asked Malone one day, “Hey, cowboy, what are you hunting?” since he was wearing a cowboy hat and boots. According to Manley, she asked twice, and Malone replied: “I’m hunting for little Mexican girls.”

“I don’t feel tension. But you’ve got to understand, I’m a hunter, so I’m already right there anyways … I’m ready at all times,’’ Malone said. “You have the problem, I don’t. I love Westerns. I’m old-school Western. Back in the day when you had a beef, you didn’t go get guns and knives. You just, ‘Hey, I got a problem.’ We just go in the back with no cameras, no nothing, and let’s just knuckle up and get it over with.’’

“Hey, this is what I’d say to you. I don’t have a problem. People say whatever they want to say and that’s great. I’m 6-9, 272, to be exact: I’m not hard to find,’’ Malone said. “I don’t want no trouble. But if something’s got to go down, I’m not playing fair. [If] we’ve got to get down, then we’ve got to get down. I’m just telling you.’’ I’ll fight Kobe if he’s still mad I flirted with wife.'

http://nypost.com/2015/02/12/karl-malone-ill-fight-kobe-if-hes-still-mad-i-flirted-with-wife/

Idahoant posted:

I think it's nice to see KD scoring all these points and kicking rear end in the finals. He looks really comfortable without all the Westbrooking getting in the way.

KD just runs to the basket and dunks it. You know RW would've been pounding that ball into the ground.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Metapod posted:

No way in hell he gets forgiven like that

I already forgave KD the very day he signed with GSW. He actually received my blessing to establish a dynastic reign in California.

Ammanas posted:

You could say the result was great but the only game of note was 7 where it was competitive until the last second, makes it broadly a lovely final with a decent ending

Like no one says a movie that's boring until a cool ending sequence is a great movie

It could be said that the 2016 finals was a miscarriage of justice carried out by the meddling NBA BOG. But yes your movie analogy is apt.

milk milk lemonade posted:

Are you asking are they good enough to hold Cleveland to 34.6% shooting again? The answer is gently caress no, GS had a very rare and unlikely-to-be-repeated stroke of luck against Cleveland in terms of raw shooting percentage.

I wouldn't bet a lot of $$$ on it but it could happen again. GSW held CLE below 33% twice in the 2015 finals.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

predicto posted:

The mystery of Curry's ankle woes disappearing was solved a couple months ago

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/04/10/stephen-curry-book-excerpt-ankle-injury-mark-jackson posted:

Two days later, several Warriors accepted Jackson’s invitation to attend his congregation. Jackson was the co-pastor of True Love Worship Center International in Van Nuys.

A part of the tradition at Jackson’s church was a spirited service including worshippers jogging along the walls of the congregation in praise. Curry, two days removed from his latest sprain, found himself taking laps with Jackson and the other members filled with the spirit. Then after Jackson’s sermon, his wife and co-pastor, Desiree, continued the worship with an impromptu sermon and benediction. She also called Curry to the altar.

They took off his shoes and socks, anointed his ankle with oil and prayed for healing. The parishioners lifted their voices in chants and amens, calling on God to bless one of His Christian ambassadors. Service at Jackson’s church was much more passionate and engaging than Curry was used to back in Charlotte. But he humbly accepted the blessing that was being offered and returned to his seat with a smile on his face.

“Where you going?” Desiree asked the star point guard in front of the congregation. Curry responded with his go-to look of bewilderment, a half smile and widened eyes. He thought he was supposed to return back among the flock when she was done.

“You don’t get a blessing from the Lord and just walk off!” she shouted. “Show us you believe in the power of God.”

It took Curry a second to understand what she meant. Then the old Bible stories rushed to his mind. Like when Jesus healed the lame man at the Pool of Bethesda, that man had to pick up his mat and walk. If he believed he was healed, he needed to show it.

So Curry started shimmying and hopping on his right foot, much to the delight of the congregation.

“I didn’t know what else to do,” Curry said.

uhhhh idgi

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Shear Modulus posted:

uhhhh idgi

What if like, Russell Westbrook tweeted a rocket and nothing else.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Shear Modulus posted:

uhhhh idgi

When the DeAndre situation was going down, some of the Clippers were hinting at what happened on twitter by tweeting out various emoji of planes, money, etc. Paul Pierce tried to join in but didn't know what an emoji was so he attached a picture of a rocketship

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/7/8/8914659/the-clippers-mavericks-battle-for-deandre-jordan-is-all-out-emoji

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

oh lol

the deandre saga ruled and i guess i forgot pierce's contribution

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Shear Modulus posted:

uhhhh idgi

i literally had a coworker try to pray to god to heal and bless my achilles injury
i was
flabbergasted

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Ammanas posted:

i literally had a coworker try to pray to god to heal and bless my achilles injury
i was
flabbergasted

Maybe that's how Terrell Suggs came back so fast after tearing his Achilles, hmm

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Maybe that's how Terrell Suggs came back so fast after tearing his Achilles, hmm

that guy is steve smith and ray lewis is the coworker

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Ammanas posted:

i was
flabbergasted

Did it work?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

tanglewood1420 posted:

Uh no.

Curry is the entire foundation for their style of play. They play the way they do on offense precisely because they have Steph Curry. Have people forgotten already just how mindbendingly incredible his 2015-16 season was? It was literally one of the five greatest offensive seasons of all time. This year he started slow as they obviously were featuring KD more to get him acclimatised to the offence, but down the stretch he was back to somewhere near his best. In the playoffs he's been really great, .675 TS%, .287 WS/48 (third behind Lebron and Kawhi - yes, ahead of Durant and Draymond), 11.3 BPM (third behind Westbrook and CP3). If the Warriors are going to win Curry is going to have to have a really good series.

You could say that KD or Draymond are more important than Curry in this series and it's an argument, but to say he's a 'distant third' is just silly.

This is from a bit back but I disagree completely. Everything my eyes tell me from watchin' the Warriors the past few years is that Draymond Green IS the Warriors. Steph shoots some cool shots but he is a defensive liability. You're underrating Draymond by a lot and overrating Steph by just as much.

Like saying Kyle Korver was the best player on the those 60 win Hawks.

KD I dunno always seems like he should be the second best player in the NBA but he's just so quiet sometimes, especially on defense and that seems odd to me. He's a good defender but he should be much better. Giannis is already showing what you should be doing on D with that kinda spider body, but KD doesn't even have a tenacious posture. He shrinks his shoulders all the time.

If Kevin "The American Giannis" Durant played D like Giannis OKC wouldve been in the Finals last year and he wouldn't have betrayed his friend Russell,

Greek Jordan
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/03/5f/62/035f62d7b58fe8d030c4c45eb71f3590.jpg

Wingspan
https://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/cat.jpg

but since he doesn't I still think Draymond is more important to the team.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Still probably my favorite NBA incident ever

Although this is on the list too
http://deadspin.com/rockets-twitter-guy-fired-over-emoji-violence-1701052004

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Is Chris Bosh a hall of famer or just a hall of very gooder?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Bigass Moth posted:

Is Chris Bosh a hall of famer or just a hall of very gooder?
Kinda hard to argue against 10+ All Star appearances and 2 rings.

Speaking of Bosh.

https://twitter.com/AlbertNahmad/status/870759709569110016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Bosh is a no-brainer hall of famer.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/870671355661795328
Do it Paul. Save us from the techbros

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Tae posted:

Bosh is a no-brainer hall of famer.

but does he have what it takes to be a heretofore unthinkable Fourth Alpha?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Can't wait to see Kwahi in some State Farm commercials.

"KWAHI WHAT HAPPENED"
"i was in a car accident Chris"
"YOU LOOK LIKE YOU'RE IN SHOCK"
"......"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

What are the five best NBA player tweets of all time and is there one better than the glazed donut rear end face?

Also Phil Jackson's 11 Championship Rings tweet is Top 3 all time from anyone.

This is one of the only things I smiled at after the election.
https://twitter.com/joelembiid/status/796258910617370624

Also Dion's MEN LIE WOMEN LIE BUCKETS DN'T is a classic but I think it was on Instagram.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Henchman of Santa posted:

This is one of the only things I smiled at after the election.
https://twitter.com/joelembiid/status/796258910617370624

Also Dion's MEN LIE WOMEN LIE BUCKETS DN'T is a classic but I think it was on Instagram.

Nah it was twitter cuz he linked a youtube without noticing that the description poo poo on him

https://twitter.com/dionwaiters3/status/517158752345415682?lang=en

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
ADAM SILVER HAS A SECRET TWITTER ADAM YOU BASTARD WE WILL FIND YOU

https://twitter.com/ArashMarkazi/status/870778694112903168

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

its me, im adam silver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
11 champ;ipnsikp[ ringhs rules because it has never been deleted. It's still up over 4 years later.

• Locked thread