Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Am I petty enough to blame Macron for trying to one-up Trump by crushing his hand, resulting in the US's withdrawal from the Paris Agreement?

Yes, yes I think I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
trump was always going to leave

anyway it's funnier this way, pissboy met his match!!!

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Kurtofan posted:

trump was always going to leave

anyway it's funnier this way, pissboy met his match!!!

The borderline hero worship of Macron in parts of French media is still pretty ridiculous. Like this:

https://twitter.com/LePoint/status/870590706565435392

"Leader of the free world" because he can speak basic English :jerkbag:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Yeah? That's the only reason you think they said that? Really?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Kassad posted:

The borderline hero worship of Macron in parts of French media is still pretty ridiculous. Like this:

https://twitter.com/LePoint/status/870590706565435392

"Leader of the free world" because he can speak basic English :jerkbag:

But Merkel was it just last month?!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I found #MOPGA cringe inducing.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Decius posted:

But Merkel was it just last month?!

It's the hot potato of international politics

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Mozi posted:

Yeah? That's the only reason you think they said that? Really?

"It's a center-right paper so of course they're portraying Macron as the second coming of Christ Obama even if he's just blowing hot air" wasn't as snappy.

Edit: Bonus "Macron is just like De Gaulle" :lol:

https://twitter.com/lobs/status/870615838461767682

Kassad fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 2, 2017

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
These people have no shame.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

In other news, my minister Gérald Darmanin (a pretty bad person I have the privilege of superficially knowing, having studied at the same school as him, who sued the school in front of an administrative court back in 2006 when it wouldn't call for a police intervention against students who blockaded and occupied the place in protest against a shitass labor law) has shown himself to be a bully.

http://www.leparisien.fr/politique/daniel-fasquelle-va-porter-plainte-apres-le-sms-menacant-de-darmanin-02-06-2017-7008417.php

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kassad posted:

Well they are getting nervous about the legislative elections with so many people in his current government having legal troubles.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Toplowtech posted:

Well they are getting nervous about the legislative elections with so many people in his current government having legal troubles.

Who else aside from Ferrand is in hot water?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

julian assflange posted:

Who else aside from Ferrand is in hot water?
Marielle de Sarnez. One of the female ministers. A FN member wrote a denunciation letter accusing her of doing the same poo poo Lepen is accused of when she was a EU deputy: employing someone from her party as a fake job.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 2, 2017

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Toplowtech posted:

Marielle de Sarnez. One of the female ministers. A FN member wrote a denunciation letter accusing her of doing the same poo poo Lepen is accused of when she was a EU deputy: employing someone from her party as a fake job.

Huh with all the Ferrand stuff I totally missed that

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

julian assflange posted:

Huh with all the Ferrand stuff I totally missed that
To be honest the fn gals who wrote the denounciation letter accused around 15+ eu mps (from most parties) and she is amongst them. But yeah, funny how one scandal hide the other.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Nah, the Sarnez thing is a huge nothingburger. She has a part-time aide in the European Parliament, who works in Paris and doubles as a municipal councilor and a regional councilor. There's actually ample proof that the aide actually did a lot of EP-related work and that's entirely legal and not at all a problem.

The problem with the FN's aides in the European Parliament was that they didn't actually do any work at the EP, but were registered as aides while they did stuff for the sole benefit of the FN.

Only Ferrand is outright slimy.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Nah, the Sarnez thing is a huge nothingburger. She has a part-time aide in the European Parliament, who works in Paris and doubles as a municipal councilor and a regional councilor. There's actually ample proof that the aide actually did a lot of EP-related work and that's entirely legal and not at all a problem.

The problem with the FN's aides in the European Parliament was that they didn't actually do any work at the EP, but were registered as aides while they did stuff for the sole benefit of the FN.

Only Ferrand is outright slimy.
Yeah and the FN knows it but you have to admit the accusation force a narrative that's not favorable to macron.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
https://twitter.com/francediplo_EN/status/870699642509512704

:discourse:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If our politicians really had balls, they'd impose an ecotariff on all imports from countries that does not respect the Paris Accord. The money levied on that import tax from rear end in a top hat countries that suck would be used to fund the green fund (to assist developing countries to transition to cleaner energy) that the USA will no longer contribute to.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

If our politicians really had balls, they'd impose an ecotariff on all imports from countries that does not respect the Paris Accord. The money levied on that import tax from rear end in a top hat countries that suck would be used to fund the green fund (to assist developing countries to transition to cleaner energy) that the USA will no longer contribute to.

I don't think the entire first world going into a trade war with the US is going to pan out like you think it will.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Cat Mattress posted:

The earliest the US withdrawing from the Paris treaty will go into effect is 1 day before the next presidential election in the US.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

GaussianCopula posted:

The earliest the US withdrawing from the Paris treaty will go into effect is 1 day before the next presidential election in the US.

Yeah but they're already scrapping all the policies that would have allowed them to meet the target, and they've reneged on green fund payments. The damage is already underway, even if they're nominally still *in* the treaty.

If it were some leasser power (ie India or Brasil) you could probably sanction then into compliance, but with the US it would prove difficult. Maybe a consumer boycott could gain some traction tough?

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Freezer posted:

If it were some leasser power (ie India or Brasil) you could probably sanction then into compliance, but with the US it would prove difficult. Maybe a consumer boycott could gain some traction tough?

For many kinds of goods you have no choice but to buy American, or reasonably have no choice. People are going to boycott Facebook, Apple, Microsoft and Google? Cancel their Netflix and Amazon account? Besides businesses and supply chains are so intertwined it is hard to tell what you could and could not buy, your Chinese phone has American licensed IP and chips in it.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Oh, i'm pretty certain that the eu will find some more antitrust and monopoly charges against American corporations in the coming years if they really want to.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

GaussianCopula posted:

lmao

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
lol just lol if you don't understand the poststructural chaos that is trump

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

The intercept on the withdrawal from Paris

quote:

So as we try to make sense of this latest drama, make no mistake: The Trump administration was never divided between those who wanted to shred the Paris Agreement and those who wanted to respect it. It was divided between those who wanted to shred it and those who wanted to stay in it but completely ignore it. The difference is one of optics; the same amount of carbon gets spewed either way.
As usual with Trump, he choses to go the route that completely blows up any facade of nicety around anything he touches and exposes the underlying ugliness.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

sheep-dodger posted:

As usual with Trump, he choses to go the route that completely blows up any facade of nicety around anything he touches and exposes the underlying ugliness.

good, shows what kind of animal he is

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

sheep-dodger posted:

Whaddaya know, it turns out that the people who were saying Trump tells it like it is were right after all.

If assholes have to be in power, it's probably better if they're too crass and stupid to be effectively hypocritical about it.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It got lost in all the posts in the Trump thread but a journalist claimed the Macron handshake as also a factor haha. I'd love to call bullshit but it can't be excluded

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

julian assflange posted:

It got lost in all the posts in the Trump thread but a journalist claimed the Macron handshake as also a factor haha. I'd love to call bullshit but it can't be excluded

Considering that the whole president Bannon shtick actually got Trump to axe Bannon anything is possible.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Trump is an instagram filter-applying fidget spinning teen in a fat pensioner's body.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

julian assflange posted:

Trying to understand Trump thinking process is the path to madness. Seriously it's the stars. The celestial bodies control his brain.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
But isn't it part of his general goal of wrecking everything Obama did? He's been consistent about that IIRC.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kassad posted:

But isn't it part of his general goal of wrecking everything Obama did? He's been consistent about that IIRC.
He is just the literal incarnation of all the right-wing news networks' nonsense of the past 8 years, yes.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It's making me think Trump would have pulled out no matter what, just by virtue of being his giant rear end in a top hat self. Macron might have sped things up, I guess.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Paris not Pittsburgh

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Pulling out of the Paris Accords was not only a campaign promise, but it also makes life easier on some American corporations...it was almost certain to happen.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Ardennes posted:

Pulling out of the Paris Accords was not only a campaign promise, but it also makes life easier on some American corporations...it was almost certain to happen.

Yes, pulling out of an treaty that sets non-binding goals for countries really helps american companies, especially because other countries will totally not use it as a reason to discriminate against them and there is no global consensus about climate change and that it needs to be combated.

The concrete changes in US policy, that are more or less independent of the Paris Accords, will of course have an impact on the American economy, benefiting a few companies but hindering innovation and competitiveness in the long run.

The big reason Trump did it was to have a victory to parade in front of the american electorate, because this is one of the few areas where he can actually do something without getting bitchslapped by checks and balances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Kurtofan posted:

Paris not Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh mayor immediately said he's for the Paris agreements.

That's real and not something I made up.