Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Sorry if this isn't the correct thread, but I just picked up a Gear S3 the other day. Probably not a good idea but I've been liking it so far. Is it recommended to get a screen protector for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

They announced about a week ago that the 360/2 was getting its Ware 2.0 update. Has anyone here actually gotten it?

vv WELP.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 1, 2017

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

I got it a few days ago.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Well I finally got it on mine. The notification scheme is awful and has eliminated the only reason I bought it.

Is there any way to make it so you can actually see what's in the notification tray all the time?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

LastInLine posted:

Well I finally got it on mine. The notification scheme is awful and has eliminated the only reason I bought it.

Is there any way to make it so you can actually see what's in the notification tray all the time?

On the style I spin the knob and my notifications​ scroll up

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Len posted:

On the style I spin the knob and my notifications​ scroll up

The point of wearing a screen on my wrist is to be able to see my notifications passively without touching anything. If I wanted to touch something to view notifications, I would touch my phone. As it is now, the watch doesn't even indicate there are notifications available to view which means not only am I not getting the information I want without interaction, I'm not even aware that interaction is necessary.

It's almost as if they tried to reduce utility to its lowest possible level.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Pebble was the best smartwatch

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

The point of wearing a screen on my wrist is to be able to see my notifications passively without touching anything. If I wanted to touch something to view notifications, I would touch my phone. As it is now, the watch doesn't even indicate there are notifications available to view which means not only am I not getting the information I want without interaction, I'm not even aware that interaction is necessary.

It's almost as if they tried to reduce utility to its lowest possible level.

Yeah, this is annoying. The current "best" way that I've found is to set the notifications to always show. This, however, makes it not really a watch anymore.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
So you're saying I shouldn't swipe to install the update on my 360/2?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

So uh... is the urbane 2 ever gonna get 2.0

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Krime posted:

So you're saying I shouldn't swipe to install the update on my 360/2?

You're still in the same boat because you'll always have the notification to update on top blocking your other notifications.

Edit:

Now that I've had a few hours to try to adjust to this software, my loathing has only intensified. If this was how the watch was when I bought it for $400, I'd have returned it the next day without hesitation or regret. There are so many bad ideas here that it's difficult to keep them all in my head at the same time. Every time I think I've encountered the most user-hostile change, something else appears to take its place. Let's see how many I can come up with just off the top of my head:

• Do Not Disturb has been helpfully decoupled from the phone so now if I want to stop annoyances I have two things to disable: the thing that I bought so I wouldn't have to pull out my phone in situations where I'd seem like an rear end in a top hat for doing so, and my phone. I can't even imagine why anyone would think this would be a positive thing.

• Swiping on the watchface from either right or left changes it. You know that thing you set once and never change? Half of the directions you can swipe are dedicated to that. gently caress you, that's why.

• The Play Store on the watch is just so bad--it really needs to be seen to be believed how slow and lovely it is. When you call it up you get search plus four categories: Featured, Watch Faces We Love, Complications, and Recommended. Search works about as well as you'd think, since typing is horrible and voice makes you feel retarded. They know it too because before you attempt to type your first letter there are a shitload of suggested searches right below it. It's a tacit admission that they know this experience sucks.

Viewing an app's page would best be described as viewing the phone's Play Store app page through a keyhole. Text is in paragraphs but on a round screen you can only view six lines at a time by keeping it in the center of the screen. All the data from the Play Store is there, including developer info, reviews, similar apps, etc. so guess how much scrolling you'll be doing? Remember, you can read six lines of text at a time and on my watch each line can hold about 30 characters. I would describe this as torture and can't imagine anyone using this more than once and thinking "Oh yeah, this is fine. This is definitely a good idea well executed." But wait...

Guess what isn't in the Play Store? A way to see what apps need updates. Hell, there's not even a way to see a list of your apps. There's also not a way to set apps to automatically update. What will happen is you'll get a notification card telling you to update. Don't swipe that away accidentally because if you do there is no way to update your apps until a new app has an update. You might think that only applies to watch apps downloaded from the watch Play Store not apps installed along with their phone counterparts but no, you manually have to update those on the watch too.

This is all poo poo a user is supposed to intuit because there isn't any onboarding at all. Eat poo poo, noobs.

• Complications: The One Good Thing that's included in Wear 2.0. They're trash.

Sure, they only come in grey no matter what your watchface looks like and they're of dubious utility but the best part is when you go to the (watch) Play Store to see what all the hype is about you're presented with... 11 complications. Total. Google Play Music is the only one Google could be bothered to make (GMail? SMSs Hangouts? LOL NO). Included with the system are ones that make sense (9 clock things like date, timer, countdown--poo poo that watches have always done and 4 system things like battery level, notification count, app shortcut, and now playing). There are fitness ones that come across with the apps themselves. Oh, and the weather.

... and that's it.

So the Big Feature is 11 complications that can tell me stock prices and moon phases in an ugly grey circle. They killed being able to see notifications for this bullshit?

• Lastly notifications I think I've been clear about my feelings on.

There are other details that are trash, like the extensive use of the crown (which just sucks on my watch as it was never designed to be used in that way) and the fact that the scroll indicator uses the same sized indicator no matter how much of the total view you have which makes it useless as a scroll indicator but the rest of it such a shitshow I could ignore this minor crap.

I can't believe how lovely this is and how many people had to approve such horrible, horrible ideas and terrible execution of those ideas. It's been a long time since I've used something this poorly thought out and implemented. It's so bad.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 3, 2017

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

LastInLine posted:

I can't believe how lovely this is and how many people had to approve such horrible, horrible ideas and terrible execution of those ideas. It's been a long time since I've used something this poorly thought out and implemented. It's so bad.

Absolutely agree. It's a total step backwards. You may not have run into it yet, but here's another fun change: You can no longer send or respond to messages hands-free. The little checkbox confirmation button that used to count down to auto-send now no longer auto-sends. You must press the button to actually send a message. This makes using the watch to communicate while doing absolutely anything else practically impossible.

Oh, and they removed the press-down to select gesture, and the arm up to go back gesture. Because gently caress you.

But, I believe you're a little mistaken about complications. Their appearance is up to the watch face you're using, so they're not always necessarily grey. The face you've selected probably just did it lazily.

As for the play store on the watch, don't bother. Use the play store on a browser on a real computer and install to the watch that way.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

5TonsOfFlax posted:

Absolutely agree. It's a total step backwards. You may not have run into it yet, but here's another fun change: You can no longer send or respond to messages hands-free. The little checkbox confirmation button that used to count down to auto-send now no longer auto-sends. You must press the button to actually send a message. This makes using the watch to communicate while doing absolutely anything else practically impossible.

Oh, and they removed the press-down to select gesture, and the arm up to go back gesture. Because gently caress you.

But, I believe you're a little mistaken about complications. Their appearance is up to the watch face you're using, so they're not always necessarily grey. The face you've selected probably just did it lazily.

As for the play store on the watch, don't bother. Use the play store on a browser on a real computer and install to the watch that way.

Hmm, I'm using Pujie Black because the Motorola watchfaces are pretty crappy but I'll try out one and maybe the complications won't look too bad but it doesn't really address the problem that the majority of them are useless. All I want on the watchface in both ambient and interactive modes are analog clock hands, tick marks, a shortcut to Authenticator+, and my notifications and as far as I can tell you just can't do notifications anymore.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Sounds like I made a good decision to abandon Android Wear after my Moto 360 battery went to poo poo.

I haven't decided what I'm going to do instead, but I think I might just go back to a fitbit/garmin/jawbone.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Throw twenty bucks away on the mi fit 2 and see if it suits your needs, if all you want is step tracking and notifications and a clock it is p much perfect

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

LastInLine posted:

You're still in the same boat because you'll always have the notification to update on top blocking your other notifications.

I disabled all of the constant overlaying notifications at the bottom of the watch, so I dont see it unless I swipe to the bottom of my notifications once the watch is awake.

I get the vibrations and screen notification for texts and e-mails and then they hide unless I look for them. Never ever see the update notification.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Krime posted:

I disabled all of the constant overlaying notifications at the bottom of the watch, so I dont see it unless I swipe to the bottom of my notifications once the watch is awake.

I get the vibrations and screen notification for texts and e-mails and then they hide unless I look for them. Never ever see the update notification.

In that case Wear 2.0 is for you because that's the only option now.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Thermopyle posted:

Sounds like I made a good decision to abandon Android Wear after my Moto 360 battery went to poo poo.

I haven't decided what I'm going to do instead, but I think I might just go back to a fitbit/garmin/jawbone.

Gear S3. It pushes notifications from my phone via 4G, which is pretty nifty when I'm walking around the hotel and don't have my phone on me.

It just needs more apps, and better voice control. The bezel is the best interface ever.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Gear S3. It pushes notifications from my phone via 4G, which is pretty nifty when I'm walking around the hotel and don't have my phone on me.

It just needs more apps, and better voice control. The bezel is the best interface ever.

Do you have the LTE version?

If they had the s3 classic in LTE I'd prolly get it. But they only have the frontier, and the dark gray just looks so huge on my little tiny bird wrists.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I'd probably consider a Gear if Authenticator+ and Our Groceries worked on it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

I'd probably consider a Gear if Authenticator+ and Our Groceries worked on it.

Yeah, there's a couple of apps that I used extensively on an AW device. Of course by going with a more bare bones fitness tracker+notifier I'm giving those up anyway...

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, there's a couple of apps that I used extensively on an AW device. Of course by going with a more bare bones fitness tracker+notifier I'm giving those up anyway...

Yeah given my level of "fitness" ("You failed to reach your 2000 step goal!") once I've surrendered the apps and the notifications, I might as well surrender knowing the time as well and not have anything.

In a new discovery of ways this watch sucks now is they changed the background of the desk clock mode while it's charging from black to dark grey which means there is no longer enough contrast for me to read it from across the bedroom.

I'm also starting to suspect that it isn't actually giving me notifications at all. I have "Always show" turned on but I've received a lot of Hangouts chats and never been notified about them at all. I'll know more once I'm back at work but a quick Google shows that many on 2.0 aren't getting notifications consistently.

I'm quickly running out of things this thing can do.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

In a new discovery of ways this watch sucks now is they changed the background of the desk clock mode while it's charging from black to dark grey which means there is no longer enough contrast for me to read it from across the bedroom.

I was wondering if the watch was brighter at night or if I just mis-remembered.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Blue Train posted:

Throw twenty bucks away on the mi fit 2 and see if it suits your needs, if all you want is step tracking and notifications and a clock it is p much perfect

I have a cheap rear end chinese fitness band that outputs the full notification content on your wrist for any app and also does the whole fitness stuff. The battery lasts 20 days. I never ever touch my 360 anymore, there's literally zero reason for me to do so. Most people just want a clock that shows notifications and doesn't require charging every day.

I feel like the chinese bands will rise up over the android wear corpse because they focus on the things people actually use, cost next to nothing and have amazing battery life. I wish android wear would scale down on features, not just increasing the bloat while making everything worse. Oh well.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

I was wondering if the watch was brighter at night or if I just mis-remembered.

You can tell it's not black because now the flat tire is visible.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

AA is for Quitters posted:

Do you have the LTE version?

If they had the s3 classic in LTE I'd prolly get it. But they only have the frontier, and the dark gray just looks so huge on my little tiny bird wrists.

Yeah, I have the Frontier. I think the Classic is getting an LTE release this year.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there was a way to prevent "Ok Google" from triggering both my watch and my phone?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Is there was a way to prevent "Ok Google" from triggering both my watch and my phone?

It's never triggered on my watch even if I shout directly at it. If you told me that the Moto 360/2 didn't have a microphone at all I'd believe you with how poorly mine works.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

It's never triggered on my watch even if I shout directly at it. If you told me that the Moto 360/2 didn't have a microphone at all I'd believe you with how poorly mine works.

Interesting; that's exactly what I have.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

LastInLine posted:

You probably got a bum unit.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

big mean giraffe posted:

You probably got a bum unit.

Honestly I always figured it's because I drive a convertible and I've only ever attempted to use voice input on the watch in the car. :shrug:

The one time I can think of was when someone messaged me to say they were outside and I replied on my watch with "I'll be down in a sec, you were fast". It came out as "karate in a sex you're too fast".

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Is anyone using Wear and Authenticator+? Since the update on the 29th it just closes immediately on my watch.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Is anyone using Wear and Authenticator+? Since the update on the 29th it just closes immediately on my watch.

Yup, and yes it crashes immediately for me on my watch too. Asus ZW3.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yup, and yes it crashes immediately for me on my watch too. Asus ZW3.

Thanks for the confirmation. I notified the developer but I had to redo one of my tokens the same day and didn't know if it was a bug related to that (although it launched on the watch after I did it so I doubted that was the case).

I hope they fix it fast, I use it every day at work.

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico

LastInLine posted:

Works on mine. Asus Zenwatch 3

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I've read that Wear 2.0 does things on an iPhone much better than it used to? I just want my notifications from the Twitter app and IFTTT picked up, since I've set my phone to bug me about certain deals/sales-related accounts. If I can get a copy of my notifications and see the time, that's all I need. I've heard the basic ZenWatch I can get on eBay for $100 can do that, can anyone confirm?

And to head off the obvious: Yes, I know I own an Apple phone. Yes, I've used an Apple Watch and set up my mother's for her. No, I don't need that poo poo and would probably buy a Pebble if they hadn't gone out of business last year, so I'm trying to find the next best option

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

If all you need is the time and a notification you could buy a mi band 2 for like twenty dollars

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Huawei Watch 2 Classic looks pretty nice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ASRD8io7OM

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I got sick of waiting for AW 2.0 on Urbane 2 so at 3am on a whim I decided on a whim to fix that thanks to this video. Worked great and I have virtually no experience with this sort of thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTVxHYViN7I

Apparently this enables NFC payments through the band on the watch too.

Not sure what I think of 2.0 in general yet... sucks that it doesn't seem to use the extra two buttons on the watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

*crickets*

Silenced mode being decoupled from your phone is a pretty huge downside to 2.0.