Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys/status/869967807353638913

e:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Majorian posted:

Yeah, but he had appointed a wide variety of PMs before. Putin showed up near the nadir of Yeltsin's fortunes, after the '98 crash.

I'd say there's no proof that 'Shock Therapy' was pushed on Russia, certainly not in some effort to ratfuck them and I wouldn't say it was a US sponsored effort. I mean clearly they had interests in it and it certainly seemed to benefit those interests, there's also plenty of questionable statements from officials at the time...

Then again Putin benefited hugely from a series of terrorist attacks blamed on, but never conclusively linked to, Crimean separatists that resulted in the second Crimean war. There were questionable statements made (like Putin loyalists talking about attacks happening a week before they did) that raises some questions about the legitimacy of his own rise to power.

Basically though NATO and the EU have become the poster boys for Russia's own unhappiness at their loss of global influence and the failure of their ability to cope with this has merely accelerated things. Countries aren't looking to join the EU because homonazis invaded and bribed their leaders with gayjew gold (which everyone wants because it is fabulous) they were joining because it seemed like a good economic deal and they wanted some security against Russia loving with them because, as much as Greece and other nations have problems with EU pressure it is a poo poo ton better than being in Russia's 'no Homonazis allowed!' club. Russians aren't intrinsically bad people and there needs to be some reflection on psychological reflection, changing states, etc. but ultimately there's a point where you need to start going 'ok the international system of nation states is how I want the world run' or 'Important Countries have spheres of influence within which they get to control what happens'

Obviously this is also complicated by nuclear weapons. Putting this point in the equivalent of a footnote makes my analysis infinitely more academically credible than Seb Gorka's PhD.

Edit: Yes! Missed dog tax by 1! Freeman of the Land!

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Coal mining was among the last of those jobs where people could make a good living and retire with a pension without needing a college degree. "I'm going to save the coal industry" is just another way of saying, "I'm with you, the good salt-of-the-earth, blue-collar, hardworking Americans, instead of with those liberal ivory-tower college-educated jerks that are wrecking your way of life."

hope they can feed their families on republican lies then :shrug:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/JamesMelville/status/870770894146285568

I feel like she is trying to lose control of parliament

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The left tends to attack its canidates and politicians fairly and well.

The problem is tue right co-ops those attacks and uses them along with their own bullshot.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

I don't know why you felt like editing that post, 9/10 chances somewhere in that sandwich is a dog anyway.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
With regards to Russian military actions, doesn't Poland have a military that could crush Russia's pretty much all on their own?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

MrNemo posted:

I'd say there's no proof that 'Shock Therapy' was pushed on Russia, certainly not in some effort to ratfuck them and I wouldn't say it was a US sponsored effort. I mean clearly they had interests in it and it certainly seemed to benefit those interests, there's also plenty of questionable statements from officials at the time...

I mean, it wasn't a nefarious plot to destroy Russia's economy, but it definitely was pushed by the US and its allies.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Office Pig posted:

I don't know why you felt like editing that post, 9/10 chances somewhere in that sandwich is a dog anyway.

That particular dog was relevant: http://www.wdrb.com/story/14202723/bernsons-corner-drive-thru-dog

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Alter Ego posted:

I cannot stop laughing at "porm"

I'm wondering what's up with Wisconsin's weird obsession with stepmon..

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

God drat it, Minnesota...

Morbus
May 18, 2004

MrNemo posted:

Then again Putin benefited hugely from a series of terrorist attacks blamed on, but never conclusively linked to, Crimean separatists that resulted in the second Crimean war. There were questionable statements made (like Putin loyalists talking about attacks happening a week before they did) that raises some questions about the legitimacy of his own rise to power.

Basically though NATO and the EU have become the poster boys for Russia's own unhappiness at their loss of global influence and the failure of their ability to cope with this has merely accelerated things. Countries aren't looking to join the EU because homonazis invaded and bribed their leaders with gayjew gold (which everyone wants because it is fabulous) they were joining because it seemed like a good economic deal and they wanted some security against Russia loving with them because, as much as Greece and other nations have problems with EU pressure it is a poo poo ton better than being in Russia's 'no Homonazis allowed!' club. Russians aren't intrinsically bad people and there needs to be some reflection on psychological reflection, changing states, etc. but ultimately there's a point where you need to start going 'ok the international system of nation states is how I want the world run' or 'Important Countries have spheres of influence within which they get to control what happens'

Obviously this is also complicated by nuclear weapons. Putting this point in the equivalent of a footnote makes my analysis infinitely more academically credible than Seb Gorka's PhD.

Edit: Yes! Missed dog tax by 1! Freeman of the Land!

Chechen! Not Crimean

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Tatsuta Age posted:

hope they can feed their families on republican lies then :shrug:

I honestly wonder if there is any way out for my hometown anymore. I think the answer is "no," unless some other industry wanted to repurpose the old mills and take advantage of rail shipping.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Fitzy Fitz posted:

lol check a map nerd!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Isnt that Minnesota?

Maybe a bunch of overzealous Digimon fans?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Fitzy Fitz posted:

A rare Pokémon.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

With regards to Russian military actions, doesn't Poland have a military that could crush Russia's pretty much all on their own?

They have the 6th-largest military and the 3rd-largest defense budget, so no.

edit: Good God, looking at the ranking of military budgets. We spend way too much loving money on our military.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_military_expenditures

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

That really depends on how much of a paper tiger the Russian military is.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

I don't know that much about Charlie Baker, but he seems like a pragmatic dude. First he comes out against Trump's Muslim ban by giving his Dem AG his full support, then this. It's probably what a lot or Republican governors will have to do to survive 2018.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

The Glumslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/JamesMelville/status/870770894146285568

I feel like she is trying to lose control of parliament

The proper response to that is to ask when the PM's salary got its last bump.

Well, the proper response is the guillotine, but people seem to think that we can still talk this out with the elite. :laffo:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That really depends on how much of a paper tiger the Russian military is.

If the OSHA thread is any indication the Russia military will defeat itself.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The question isn't really who can crush the other side, but the costs of sustaining a military conflict. That's where I think Russia has problems. Like actually moving things from A to B and keeping everything functioning.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

The question isn't really who can crush the other side, but the costs of sustaining a military conflict. That's where I think Russia has problems. Like actually moving things from A to B and keeping everything functioning.

Yeah Russia can barely project power across their border.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Another person catching up and reading this and agreeing how horrific it is.

I'm reminded of a meeting Jonathan Kozol used to retell. He was discussing failing schools with an unnamed, but he said well known, wealthy person and the person said 'What are we supposed to do, we can't just throw money at them and expect it to help!' to which he replied 'Why not, it's what you do with your child's schools.'

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Not to mention that it's not as if sustained occupation has been a successful strategy even for countries that CAN afford it.

Almosthere
Mar 9, 2006

Ego-bot posted:

I don't know that much about Charlie Baker, but he seems like a pragmatic dude. First he comes out against Trump's Muslim ban by giving his Dem AG his full support, then this. It's probably what a lot or Republican governors will have to do to survive 2018.

It's just a MA thing. He'd have to be mildly left, outwardly at least, even if the country wasn't in this position.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He has refused to condemn Trump or support legislation to make Boston a sanctuary city or MA a sanctuary state. His public position is that he will "wait and see" on Trump and that he deserves the respect due the office of president.

So basically he's a oval office.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

FunkMonkey posted:

God drat it, Minnesota...

The worst pokemon

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Putin is too smart to invade Poland. They have specifically built their force to fight an invasion and have a shitload of drones.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Putin is too smart to invade Poland. They have specifically built their force to fight an invasion and have a shitload of drones.

Helps that Poland hates Russia with the fury of a thousand suns.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

I propose that "cumpilation" is valid, too bad that didn't make the list.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Helps that Poland hates Russia with the fury of a thousand suns.

You're underselling it

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Fitzy Fitz posted:

she's their favorite digimon

edit: drat, beaten to it by a boatload because I went to find an image!!!

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 3, 2017

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Rigel posted:

We spend way too much loving money on our military.

i've been saying this for decades but the response is always a hysterical SUPPORT ARE TROOPS or something like BUT THEN THE BAD GUYS CAN KILL US DEAD IN OUR HOMES

like.... no mother fucker countries are not out to get us because they know the retaliation would wipe them off the map.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Update on the RWM proxy war between Bannon and Kushner
https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/870785753831407616

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Poland is a member of NATO, so it doesn't matter how powerful their force is.

Montenegro could kick Russia's rear end in a conventional war for the same reason.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

The Glumslinger posted:

Update on the RWM proxy war between Bannon and Kushner
https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/870785753831407616

:thumbsup: that's some good internal strife :thumbsup:

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&