Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Chibs posted:

I'm loving mad that some people actually wanted Carey to be taken off the project because of all this, harassing her for it. She doesn't deserve any of the vitriol, but loving internet. Gotta have discourse so you can rack up them likes and pageviews. Basically

https://twitter.com/kcgreenn/status/870784019184599040

S.O.S.

(Save Our Sons)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Justin once described the show as a “car that learned how to fly,” which I think is an accurate way of describing this friction.

When we started, we did not consider the fact that folks would relate to these characters, or would care about what they looked like, or if they looked like them, or anything along those lines. We did not prioritize representation because we did not even think of it as being something we would need to prioritize. Part of that I can lay at the feet of the fact that The Adventure Zone started as a one-off filler episode of MBMBaM that we published while Justin was on paternity leave — we didn’t have that conversation because we didn’t think this show would be a show. But the larger reason is that the four of us are all white dudes, and have never had to think about our representation in media our entire lives.

I don’t take that shortcoming lightly, and I don’t expect anyone else to, either. There are so many things I would change if I could start over — some narrative loopholes, some lovely and thoughtless tropes — but this would be the largest one. If we had known what this show would become, we would have been more thoughtful about representation when we first made these characters. Instead, we didn’t consider what they would look like beyond what it said on these pre-rolled character sheets. We didn’t consider race beyond deciding whether Halflings, Elves, Tieflings or Dwarves possessed the best passive abilities.

Doing this show has educated all of us about representation, and clearly, we’re still not great at it. But starting out, it wasn’t even an afterthought — it just wasn’t a thought, because we didn’t know it was a thing to think about. Now we know, and the difficulties involved with reconciling where we started with what we now know are, simply put, monumental.

Justin named his character Taako, the joke being that this name sounds like “taco,” and that he would be pursuing a quest to invent tacos in this fantasy world. Justin thought of this name as a big and goofy joke several minutes before we started recording. The weight of that naming decision — that the decision could even have weight — did not enter his mind. This was a goofy one-off episode. He named his wizard Taako for the same reason that I named my Dwarven Cleric in the one-off D&D videos I’ve done at Polygon “Crag T’Nelson.”

Knowing the strife it’s caused, Justin wouldn’t have named this character Taako. In his own words:

quote:

“It was, in actuality, a dumb thing to do, compounded by the spur of the moment joke that Taako’s quest was to invent the taco. That was stupid, because the taco was invented by Mexican silver miners and not a wizard who, in the first episode, I claim hailed from “New Elfington.

“It was a spur of the moment goof, but one that I’ve felt consistently guilty about, on some level, for years. I never intended to be dismissive of a group, or a heritage, but that’s exactly what I did.”

This is the position we are in now, and have been in since the show started, and it is irreconcilable because of the decisions we made when we started doing this show: There are listeners and fans who want us to, in pursuit of better representation, make Taako a canonically Latinx or Mexican character. The result of that decision would be that Justin had made a Mexican character that he named after tacos, whose quest was to make a taco, and who spent the first half of the campaign stealing everything that wasn’t nailed to the ground.

That’s an oversimplified way of describing this inherently complicated problem. We have listeners who have no problem with Taako being a Mexican character named after tacos, as created by a white man.

Satire got a gun emptied in its head.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

It's really a shame that Justin now thinks naming Taako Taako was a mistake, because to me Taako is the best representation of a role-playing character there is: one that starts off as an offhand goof with a silly name, and gradually becomes a real character with motivations and depth.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Reformed Pissboy posted:

the monster factory sims videos with the extremely wide heads are racist to me, because I have a big fat dumb rear end head. I think moster facotuyr should apohglogize to me. it's anti whatever I am and I'm going to scrfeam at will wright for it too

want to drink my pee pee, big head lad

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

This latest TAZ arc is really bumming me out. I used to enjoy this show so much but now I'm just wondering when it will be over.

I still get enjoyment out of it but this current arc got so heavy. I'm hoping there's a payoff that makes this worth it but with Griffin "probably two more episodes" McElroy it will be another 3 months before it finishes. I was probably most hyped when they built up toward the finale but now they're just off in BS history land. I would like nothing more than to be proven wrong.

Maybe it is the rules I'm not liking. They've used their version of D&D rules for so long and did so well with them that switching like this seems bad. The Barry and Lup thing was cool I guess but at the end of the day I don't really give a poo poo about those two.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
I, on the other hand, cried while I was breaking down all the boxes at my job because of the end of the latest episode because I'm a giant baby and I love all of these characters especially the sweet bb voidfish.

also how has no one posted about Trav's new twitter av?

https://twitter.com/travismcelroy/status/870793989338931201

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

myron cope posted:

Maybe it is the rules I'm not liking. They've used their version of D&D rules for so long and did so well with them that switching like this seems bad. The Barry and Lup thing was cool I guess but at the end of the day I don't really give a poo poo about those two.

It's not that the rules are bad, it's just that Griffin isn't using them in the way they excel. He's going for a pseudo-PbtA, and PbtA thrives on character interaction. Unfortunately, the structure of The Lost Century is "Let's 1 on 1 what Magnus does, then Taako, then Merle." It just doesn't work. It's been getting better, though, and the boys are becoming better roleplayers. I especially noticed it with Travis missing his first roll and going "Okay, I'm gonna spin this in a way that makes narrative sense to further Magnus' character" and I was just "Attaboy!" Once they get to a proper storygame system in the next arc with proper interaction between the characters, I think the boys are really going to excel.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
But you see, if you experienced these characters and immediately thought of racism, it is you who were the bigot all along. Checkmate Tumblr. :smuggo:

Poque posted:

Yeah. If you really like it you can come back later, but the abridged one is a better start imo.

Ah, never mind actually, I didn't realize both 1 and 1.5 were just repeats of the MBMBaM episode, which I already listened to. I'm up to December 2014 in the McElverse and figured it was all new from there. But thanks!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah I think the separating of the boys has been the reason this arc's been a little eh even to me but the bits I love (the press conference, the beach episode, Magnus coaching, Merle and Jon) have been really good.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I'm not trying to derail the current conversation or anything (I'm actually really inpressed with how non-inflammatory it's been), but I just saw this and I can't believe I missed it before. It's The Zone of the Adventures! Spoilers up to the next-to-latest episode.

https://youtu.be/bDzu_6fjMTg

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Gluten Freeman posted:

It seems like a lot of the people on twitter and tumblr seriously complaining about Taako not being Mexican as poor representation and racism are literal kids -- like, fourteen-year-olds, so, you know, cut them a little bit of slack. They're teenagers, they feel things strongly.

on the other hand, a lot of them are also just following the lead of people who are in they're 30s, which is depressing. Kids are far too willing to take anything an adult with no actual qualifications barfs out on tumblr and it leads to poo poo like this.

See: weird one-off tumblr/twitter posts saying green skin on witches is antisemitic, and people taking that as gospel despite the fandom drawing taako as green plenty of times without any of this coming up, ever.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q59keKZkm9g
This rules

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Ariong posted:

I'm not trying to derail the current conversation or anything (I'm actually really inpressed with how non-inflammatory it's been), but I just saw this and I can't believe I missed it before. It's The Zone of the Adventures! Spoilers up to the next-to-latest episode.

https://youtu.be/bDzu_6fjMTg

I've really liked the current arc (most especially the conversation between Merle and John about joy) but listening to these goofs feels like a show long forgotten at this point.

Boy I hope they get back to the goofs soon.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I've really liked the current arc (most especially the conversation between Merle and John about joy) but listening to these goofs feels like a show long forgotten at this point.

Boy I hope they get back to the goofs soon.

Really? Because Merl inventing interpretative Jazz dancing and Taako becoming a philosopher based on stealing things other people said was pretty funny.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
That's true and I'll have to listen to the latest episode again. I feel like the world has gotten too large and there are too many characters, and the THB get lost in splitting up. Then they seem to check out a bit when it's not their turn so they don't get into a rhythm of goofing with each other in game.

It's certainly not a train or derelict lab that keeps them jammed in the same room, for better or worse.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Soup du Jour posted:

It's really a shame that Justin now thinks naming Taako Taako was a mistake, because to me Taako is the best representation of a role-playing character there is: one that starts off as an offhand goof with a silly name, and gradually becomes a real character with motivations and depth.

yup this exactly, Taako isn't a funny name because a taco is a mexican thing, it's a funny name because it is also the name of a food

my d&d character's name is x'ziir zalad, inspired by taako also being a food, is that racist against whoever invented caesar salads

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Poque posted:

my d&d character's name is x'ziir zalad, inspired by taako also being a food, is that racist against whoever invented caesar salads

nice Italian immigrant erasure, fuckboy

quote:

The salad's creation is generally attributed to restaurateur Caesar Cardini, an Italian immigrant who operated restaurants in Mexico and the United States. Cardini was living in San Diego but also working in Tijuana where he avoided the restrictions of Prohibition. His daughter Rosa (1928–2003) recounted that her father invented the dish when a Fourth of July 1924 rush depleted the kitchen's supplies. Cardini made do with what he had.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Poque posted:

yup this exactly, Taako isn't a funny name because a taco is a mexican thing, it's a funny name because it is also the name of a food

Caesar salad was also invented by a Mexican guy so you and Justin are equally super hitlers.

E: ^^oops I'm racist too

Ojjeorago fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 3, 2017

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I've been really hard on this arc, probably the most of the people in this thread, and the most recent ep was great because it was entirely character work and interaction. I'm getting more and more okay with this arc as it progresses if it's just an excuse to learn how Lup/Barry/Lucretia/Davenport were before they got variously changed, and viewing the differences in personality from before Voidfish erasure to after for THB. Merle especially, whom Clinton finally seems to understand how to roleplay, but seeing a more immature, sensitive Magnus has been cool as well.

Again, this show is really only bad when it's expository nonsense, and Griffin's finally let up on that it seems.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 3, 2017

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I know a Mexican dude who goes by Tako irl. Not an adventure zone fan, he just doesn't like his given name and likes tacos. That's my insight into this drama bomb.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Todd Coolbody is an instant Monster Factory favorite for me. Not trying to derail I just loving love Todd Coolbody's entire deal, he's a character I'd probably make.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

What the gently caress

Well, to clarify, latinx is the written variant. When spoken you're supposed to use "latinu" or "latine". A and O are used at the end of words to note gender in spanish. So the solution is to use a different vowel.

Gluten Freeman posted:

It seems like a lot of the people on twitter and tumblr seriously complaining about Taako not being Mexican as poor representation and racism are literal kids -- like, fourteen-year-olds, so, you know, cut them a little bit of slack. They're teenagers, they feel things strongly.

This is super important to understand with the TAZ fandom, and online culture as a whole. More and more kids are using the internet these days, and it has affected the cultural landscape. I stopped getting involved with the fandom specifically because there were so many kids there.

What's up, you cool babies.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Mikedawson posted:

Well, to clarify, latinx is the written variant. When spoken you're supposed to use "latinu" or "latine". A and O are used at the end of words to note gender in spanish. So the solution is to use a different vowel.

Why not just Latin

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Raserys posted:

Why not just Latin

Because they're Spanish speakers? Why would they adopt an English word? Also, Latin sounds awkward in Spanish. Latinx has a three syllable flow (and Latinu is even more subtle).

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

CainsDescendant posted:

I know a Mexican dude who goes by Tako irl. Not an adventure zone fan, he just doesn't like his given name and likes tacos. That's my insight into this drama bomb.

Have you explain to him in several thousand word posts on Tumblr how problematic that is?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I mean

I hate to point out the obvious here but there's a massive difference between a mexican guy doing that and a white guy doing that

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

The best moment of Mommy Squad was definitely the firing-squad execution of disconnected Russ.

The worst part was him staying on mic afterward

Everyone else making GBS threads on him kinda made it better? A little

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mikedawson posted:

Thank you, I've always wondered how one would actually say that. I kinda wish it was decided to use latinu instead of latinx in writing as well but eh, language evolution is pretty much completely uncontrollable.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I just want to point out that at this point the voices accusing the mcelroys of being secret racists, that Carey should be fired and are harassing her, etc are so vitriolic in their hatred and it seems centered totally and completely around taako. Like the "I can't believe merle is black now how DARE they" folks are barely there, its basically an afterthought (on top of the entire premise of the argument relies on an interpretation of merle so reductive as to be actively disingenuous), and I haven't seen literally one complaint at all that they kept Magnus white.

If I were to guess the very loud and very aggressive minority of idiots who are harrassing the mcelbros and Carey over this are, to a large extent, made up of people who have made Taako into that very annoying tumblr brand of Mary Sue "perfect character" in their heads. Like, I see the fanart and look at tumblr from time to time, the percentage that is about and for Taako and how great he is is waaaaay more than the other two dudes. And it's this weird awful thing that fandoms do where they latch onto a specific character for some reason and then build that character up as pure perfection and then get insanely pissed and possessive of that character when anything about them is changed from the headcanon. It's this weird Mary Sue/psychosexual combined bullshit where all the faults of a character are flattened and all the best parts are ballooned, combined with Taako's natural positive qualities (namely, that he's queer, has a fabulous sense of style, looks conventionally beautiful, says funny and clever things, and literally has magical powers) mean that he's been built up in the fandom and by these specific people as perfection. So, in essence, they don't really care that Taako isn't a PoC, or rather, they do but solely because Taako's their perfect magic wizard boyfriend, and the McElroys and Carey have ruined their boners.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jun 3, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Haha I literally just read a tumblr post complaining about the reasoning for keeping Magnus white :( all this poo poo sucks

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

nerdbot posted:

Todd Coolbody is an instant Monster Factory favorite for me. Not trying to derail I just loving love Todd Coolbody's entire deal, he's a character I'd probably make.

Hell Yeah

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I yelled at so many people on Twitter who are making ridiculous assertions like the boys being racist.
One lady insisted that Taako was black/arab because he's a Sun Elf. Except Justin has never said he's a sun elf. I think he's said a couple times that he's a high elf maybe but WHO loving CARES.

It's fantasy, you complete fuckwards. It's not even D&D! It's an entire world of their creation.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

If I were to guess the very loud and very aggressive minority of idiots who are harrassing the mcelbros and Carey over this are, to a large extent, made up of people who have made Taako into that very annoying tumblr brand of Mary Sue "perfect character" in their heads. Like, I see the fanart and look at tumblr from time to time, the percentage that is about and for Taako and how great he is is waaaaay more than the other two dudes. And it's this weird awful thing that fandoms do where they latch onto a specific character for some reason and then build that character up as pure perfection and then get insanely pissed and possessive of that character when anything about them is changed from the headcanon.

Yeah, and a lot of that over-identification is because so many of those fans are very young and way more likely to get really invested in characters and stories, which is why it's good that the McElroys are so respectful and try to do their best in explaining their decisions. It's genuinely one of those no-win situations. Of course there are also the kind of immature adult who is bizarrely over-invested in media culture & fandom, who are obviously much worse and more annoying for the fact that they encourage kids in fandom to unhealthily identify with characters in my opinion.

Also the moment when Todd Coolbody suddenly morphs into the Boy-Mayor of Second Life was loving hysterical. Why did that happen???

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

prophetic

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a lot of respect for the brothers for trying so hard but it's hard to not also want them to tell these idiots to gently caress off so often but in the long run it's better that they put effort into representation and inclusivity, even if these bumblefuck morons don't have a clue WHAT they want

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i'm not feeling the stolen century arc

it's ok but eh

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
it's going far too long

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Waffleman_ posted:

It's not that the rules are bad, it's just that Griffin isn't using them in the way they excel. He's going for a pseudo-PbtA, and PbtA thrives on character interaction. Unfortunately, the structure of The Lost Century is "Let's 1 on 1 what Magnus does, then Taako, then Merle." It just doesn't work. It's been getting better, though, and the boys are becoming better roleplayers. I especially noticed it with Travis missing his first roll and going "Okay, I'm gonna spin this in a way that makes narrative sense to further Magnus' character" and I was just "Attaboy!" Once they get to a proper storygame system in the next arc with proper interaction between the characters, I think the boys are really going to excel.

The important thing in pbta is that you throw a ton of dice. It's moves and twists and creativity flowing in to one another to create something unpredictable. Dungeon world would be absolutely wonderful for the boys normal shenanigans.

I'm enjoying the stolen century a bunch, to be clear, but agree its not showing off pbta well.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
moving onto a full pbta game will be so much better than this and I'd argue better than them playing some weird half-a-skeleton of D&D too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

nerdbot posted:

Todd Coolbody looks exactly like someone from one of those DeviantArt pictures of hyper-muscular people made in Poser, and it's hilarious to me.