Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Earthbound is Aliens, Mother 3 is Alien 3.

Undertale is Alien 4???????????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mother 3, I think, was made with the full awareness that its audience played and was aware of Earthbound and so it couldn't play the same tricks. Lurdiak is right sort of. Once you've played a trick on the audience they'll expect it again and you need to do it different or expect your audience knows what is coming and adapt how you handle the story.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah I respect Mother 3 for not just being Earthbound again, and being very good in its own right, but in the end I prefer Earthbound as an experience.

Which, studio interference aside, is how I feel about Alien 3.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I kind of liked Alien 3 but I also only kind of liked Alien and Aliens a little more to begin with.

I have a feeling those are movies I would have loved had I grown up with them and not only seen them a few years ago for the first time.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is Mother 1 a thing that exists / is worth playing?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

It exists and no. There are a lot of good ideas there but it's a NES rpg and not even a good one. The grindy bullshit and unfun combat really get in the way of the experience. I'd say wait for the interminable fan remake in the Earthbound engine that adds tons of convenience features, or watch/read an LP.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

I kind of liked Alien 3 but I also only kind of liked Alien and Aliens a little more to begin with.

I have a feeling those are movies I would have loved had I grown up with them and not only seen them a few years ago for the first time.

Alien and Aliens I feel both really suffer from being so influential that everything they do is commonplace now. I don't blame anyone for not feeling very impressed by them because the long and short of it is that so much has knocked them off that it's only their general competence that makes them stand out. A lot of really big things suffer for that because even if they're still good you lose the impact of them being *influential.* Which is true for games too. Even if you still recognize Super Mario Bros as a good game, it's not the same impact as it had when it came out.

Lurdiak posted:

It exists and no. There are a lot of good ideas there but it's a NES rpg and not even a good one. The grindy bullshit and unfun combat really get in the way of the experience. I'd say wait for the interminable fan remake in the Earthbound engine that adds tons of convenience features, or watch/read an LP.

This is pretty much accurate. Mother is an interesting idea done better almost universally in Earthbound.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

FirstAidKite posted:

Hey I dunno if this is kosher or not, hopefully it's okay but my fiancee is streaming a game and I thought maybe some people might wanna come chill and stuff, dunno.

https://smashcast.tv/firstaidkite

Streaming Heart's Medicine - Time to Heal :)

Someone (I think it's you) is suuuper quiet on the stream.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Super Mario Maker showed just two years ago that the core gameplay of SMB is still really strong and people will still dive into it

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Jay Rust posted:

earthbound 0 was an acceptable game in 1989. however, it's everything bad about playing an nes rpg with none of the modern innovations or luxuries to alleviate or distract you from these issues.

the other games have a reference or two to it in them--usually musical--but it's also largely unimportant to the chronological story of the series

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

It's a game where the fan-translators hacked in an item to scale the difficulty way back.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's not even the difficulty, it's the take one step and hit another random battle where you get 1% of the experience to level up and now level up three times to beat this area isn't this fun and not a massive waste of time?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jay Rust posted:

its almost exactly the same as earthbound but not as good

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

By the way, speaking of NES RPGs, Final Fantasy is weirdly playable compared to every other NES rpg. Including its sequels.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FF2 is a pretty cool game

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lurdiak posted:

By the way, speaking of NES RPGs, Final Fantasy is weirdly playable compared to every other NES rpg. Including its sequels.

motherfucker you didn't just forget crystalis :colbert:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

In Training posted:

FF2 is a pretty cool game

I only played the Dawn of Souls version, does the original also have that level system? Because god, it is by far the worst mechanic I've seen in a rpg.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

FF1 has a lot of rough bits but it's also really straightforward and has a coherent idea of what it wants to be without getting too experimental. It works out well.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
"[DRM Company] Denuvo bought a valid license of VMProtect - however they use it for protecting 3rd Party Games too not only their own products - which is apparently against the license of VMProtect - they offered them something like an enterprise license where you can protect how much and what you want. They didn't agree..."

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

FF1 has a lot of rough bits but it's also really straightforward and has a coherent idea of what it wants to be without getting too experimental. It works out well.

The only thing about FF1 that's reeeeally biffed up is the fact that it lets you swing at dead enemies to no effect. Well, that and all the bugged and dysfunctional spells, elemental, and creature type modifiers.

It does hold up better than a lot of NES games, though, and it's pretty wild that it has a Vancian magic system.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Holy crap Brigador is my A E S T H E T I C

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

ImpAtom posted:

Mother 3, I think, was made with the full awareness that its audience played and was aware of Earthbound and so it couldn't play the same tricks. Lurdiak is right sort of. Once you've played a trick on the audience they'll expect it again and you need to do it different or expect your audience knows what is coming and adapt how you handle the story.

My favorite thing about Mother 3 is that, for all intents and purposes, it is the game that was cancelled on the N64 remade from the ground up for the GBA. There's enough side by side comparisons between the two where early previews clearly match scenes in the final game despite it being a totally different graphical style.

I'm sure there were some actual mechanical differences and whatever, but I love that the design and story and characters of a famously cancelled game actually got made into a finished product, and a drat good one.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

wizard on a water slide posted:

The only thing about FF1 that's reeeeally biffed up is the fact that it lets you swing at dead enemies to no effect.

This was the edutainment part of the game. It taught young minds basic math with every fight. okay, this ogre has between 212 and 274 hp so I think my B Belt can finish it off but I'll have B Mage bash it too just in case.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dewgy posted:

My favorite thing about Mother 3 is that, for all intents and purposes, it is the game that was cancelled on the N64 remade from the ground up for the GBA. There's enough side by side comparisons between the two where early previews clearly match scenes in the final game despite it being a totally different graphical style.

I'm sure there were some actual mechanical differences and whatever, but I love that the design and story and characters of a famously cancelled game actually got made into a finished product, and a drat good one.

There are a lot of differences between those early screenshots and the GBA game and I can only imagine the design as a whole changed quite a bit as well.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'm annoyed how little mention load times get in lots of reviews, you can get all kinds of useless information but even in-depth reviews often don't mention excessive loading.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

I'm annoyed how little mention load times get in lots of reviews, you can get all kinds of useless information but even in-depth reviews often don't mention excessive loading.

A major thing there is that it depends on a lot of factors, up to and including the fact that review copies often have different loading times than final versions because that is one of the things being optimized to the very end. I've played pre-release games that have loading times double or triple what they are at launch for example. It's also a case of taste and how much loading time bothers people. I found Horizon: Zero Dawn's loading times excessive but I've seen people on these forums say they're really reasonable for example.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It's also a case of taste and how much loading time bothers people.
You could say that about anything...

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Phantasium posted:

It's not even the difficulty, it's the take one step and hit another random battle where you get 1% of the experience to level up and now level up three times to beat this area isn't this fun and not a massive waste of time?
I've heard recommendations of the 25th Anniversary Edition hack. It's supposed to not only change the exp and battle rate but increase the text flow as well.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dewgy posted:

you'd be surprised at how much changed. iirc the pokey's pokeys sequence was actually supposed to be you fighting all the protagonists and their friends from the previous games, like if pokey had brainwashed them, but then shigesato itoi, in his own words, "became a good person"

so from then on i decided that meaninglessly preachy or edgy poo poo must've been made by someone who has yet to become a good person

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I wish Tekken 7 had a better character tutorial, or at least something that cycles through the move list as you do them. Unless I just missed that option somewhere. The game might be more popular if it actually bothered to teach players anything.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

tap my mountain posted:

This is cute until you realize they're dancing for the dying mouse they are torturing

Those are cat treats, they stole them from a Michael Jackson caricature they were running a scam on.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

chumbler posted:

I wish Tekken 7 had a better character tutorial, or at least something that cycles through the move list as you do them. Unless I just missed that option somewhere. The game might be more popular if it actually bothered to teach players anything.

All fighting games are incredibly bad at showing players what's actually important in the tutorials.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Yeah, i've only had a passing interest in Tekken until now and trying to play this game "seroiusly" for the first time is a bit overwhelming, the thread for it is pretty helpful and they link so good videos that goes over the very basic stuff if you need that. Why every fighting game can't have a tutorial like the new Killer Instincts is beyond me.

So what is the opinion on the Friday the 13th game? It's out on Xbox now and while i've not heard good things about how it handles technically, i'm very curious to try it out regardless. It is worth pushing through the bugs?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Phantasium posted:

I only got a few hours in but the GBA version the Mother 3 guy did a translation of there's an accessory hacked into the beginning that halves the encounter rate and doubles EXP (and also a pretty big defense boost for that point) and it felt just right, which is pretty lol when you think about it.

Samuringa posted:

I only played the Dawn of Souls version, does the original also have that level system? Because god, it is by far the worst mechanic I've seen in a rpg.

The original had you gain skill/weapon exp way slower and HP wasn't a stat you just gained occasionally in addition to when you lost a lot. But it doesn't really matter because FF2 is kinda like the proto-FF8 in that it's begging to be broken.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Does Mario and Luigi Dream Team ever get more interesting? Cause I just hit the desert area and I'm really not feeling this game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Pollyanna posted:

Does Mario and Luigi Dream Team ever get more interesting? Cause I just hit the desert area and I'm really not feeling this game.

Not really :(

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That's a shame. I remember liking Inside Story, but this one is just boring as hell. Maybe I'll go back to Moon.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Inside Story was so good but I can't get myself to replay it because I know a tidal wave of tutorials awaits me.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

chumbler posted:

If you press triangle on the move list it will show the commands up top and then you can just Touchpad + button to scroll through the moves as you do them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Zaggitz posted:

Inside Story was so good but I can't get myself to replay it because I know a tidal wave of tutorials awaits me.

I'm about ten to fifteen hours into Inside Story and it's had fewer tutorials than the first hour of Dream Team. Give it a shot.

• Locked thread