Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Korra season 4 was probably my favourite. It had the most interesting villain motivations, for me at least.

If you've come this far why not just finish it? It's only 13 episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
On the other hand, if you ain't enjoyed it so far why keep subjecting yourself to it?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

Ehh, I'd say Avatar started off kinda weak, though the creative team had enough talent to make episodes like 'The Blue Spirit' to convince the execs to give it a chance. And from there, well... We all know the rest. :v:

Kind of a shame that Korra is probably going to be the last part of the franchise ever, but I can't really blame Mike and Bryke for wanting to go for new endeavors, especially after how badly Nickelodeon jerked them around during the final season's production and airing.

Out of curiousity, have either of those two done anything noteworthy since Korra ended?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Two seasons of Voltron on netflix

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Sinners Sandwich posted:

What was the consensus on new Voltron? I was thinking about checking that out a while back, before I got distracted by the myriad complexities in life.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Schwarzwald posted:

What was the consensus on new Voltron? I was thinking about checking that out a while back, before I got distracted by the myriad complexities in life.

I watched maybe three or four episodes. It was okay, I guess. I fell out of interest.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Larryb posted:

Out of curiousity, have either of those two done anything noteworthy since Korra ended?

I know one of them was busy trying to get a series of young adult graphic novels going, though I dunno what ever came of it.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

A bunch of Korra staff were involved, but not the main writers, I think. I watched the feature-length first episode and didn't bother with the rest. Don't think a single joke landed. :mediocre:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Schwarzwald posted:

Fairly positive. Really positive if you liked the old cartoon. A nicely done serialized plot with good reimagination.

Just at least watch the episode after the opening movie at least. It's closer in tone to the rest of the series, the opening has way more potty humor and corny parts.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Drifter posted:

I watched maybe three or four episodes. It was okay, I guess. I fell out of interest.

Same for me. Was LOVING it and kinda got bored after half of the first season. Always mean to get back to it, but there's just so much TV. Still haven't finished Trollhunters either, which is a better show.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

I'm going to an 11:30 Captain Underpants screening tonight, and so far it looks like I'll have the theater to myself. Which is perfectly fine with me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Flaccid Trip posted:

I'm going to an 11:30 Captain Underpants screening tonight, and so far it looks like I'll have the theater to myself. Which is perfectly fine with me.

Time to go in your Captain Underpants costume.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Luckily the local theater is showing it, but unluckily, as I just moved to a fairly small barely-city, it's the only thing airing that I'm interested in.

EDIT: and I stumbled on a review with the critic being shocked at Captain Underpants having potty humor.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 2, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Ultra Carp

Robindaybird posted:

EDIT: and I stumbled on a review with the critic being shocked at Captain Underpants having potty humor.

:psyduck:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

It feels like a lot of kids films of the past year or two have had potty humor in them somewhere.

Angry Birds? Swimming in a pond, gargling its water, before realizing it's some guy's piss pool.
Trolls? They poo poo cupcakes.
Secret Life of Pets? Actual rabbit poo poo.
Moana? Maui telling Moana to look for warm water, but when she feels it, she quickly realizes why it's warm...
Even Zootopia had "FIIIILTHY TOILET! You're dead, fluff-butt." (Though Word of God is that was intended to foreshadow going down a toilet to escape Cliffside Asylum later on...)

I can't immediately think of any for Kubo, Finding Dory or LEGO Batman, and haven't watched Storks or Sing (or Angry Birds/Trolls/SLoP, but they put the potty humor right in the trailers so I don't have to), but yeah, toilet humor abound.

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 2, 2017

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Sing had a buffalo fart in a koala's face, so yeah, one there.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Does burping count as potty humor, or does that tip over the line to generalized gross-out humor?
Everything just falls under "rude" to me.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The Trolls one is mega weird because there's no other indication that anything poops cupcakes, it's a total non-sequitur.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Das Boo posted:

Does burping count as potty humor, or does that tip over the line to generalized gross-out humor?
Everything just falls under "rude" to me.
I'd say general gross-out humor, personally (and a pretty tame example, at that). I tend to classify "potty humor" as involving feces, urine and the places specifically designed to accommodate them (so, like, woods aren't inherently potty humor just because bears poo poo there). Maybe flatulence too.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Shadow Hog posted:

It feels like a lot of kids films of the past year or two have had potty humor in them somewhere.

Angry Birds? Swimming in a pond, gargling its water, before realizing it's some guy's piss pool.
Trolls? They poo poo cupcakes.
Secret Life of Pets? Actual rabbit poo poo.
Moana? Maui telling Moana to look for warm water, but when she feels it, she quickly realizes why it's warm...
Even Zootopia had "FIIIILTHY TOILET! You're dead, fluff-butt." (Though Word of God is that was intended to foreshadow going down a toilet to escape Cliffside Asylum later on...)

I can't immediately think of any for Kubo, Finding Dory or LEGO Batman, and haven't watched Storks or Sing (or Angry Birds/Trolls/SLoP, but they put the potty humor right in the trailers so I don't have to), but yeah, toilet humor abound.

Yes but none of those movies are named after undergarments.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Or has a villain named Professor Poopypants, or have a giant toilet in the trailer. It's like going to see Dumbo and be surprised there's Elephants.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

Harvey Birdman is great :3:

Another one: I've only seen season 1 of Babylon 5 so far but people say that its entire 100+ episode run was amazing

This is from a few pages back, and kinda off topic, but my first grade teacher was the sister of one of the actors on Babylon 5. They invited him to do a presentation for the school, and it included a brutally honest lecture on how hard it is to be a TV actor.

The lecture involved:
- horror stories about how lovely it is to have your makeup done for six hours every shoot.
- a demonstration of how fickle directors can be, where he pulled two kids from the audience, gave them lines and blocking, and then made them start over from the top every time they screwed up. This lasted upwards of 45 minutes.
You could feel the boredom and disenfranchisement emanating from the auditorium.

In spite of all that, I still got the guy's autograph. :3:

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

In on topic news, I just watched Bakshi's Lord of The Rings and my God is it the most boring thing I've ever seen.

*two minutes of exposition*
*five minutes of poorly superimposed men in Orc costumes running.*

Repat until the film runs out.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm guessing Peter Jurasik. Don't ask me why.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

I can't remember who it is was exactly (I was 7 at the time) but I know it wasn't jurasik. This guy had jet black hair, was heavily tanned and, if a I remember correctly, was one of the characters who wore heavy makeup.

I'd post the autograph to confirm his identity, but I lost it in a move. :(

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Fuuuuuuuuuuuck, Andreas Katsulas?! That guy oooooowned.

Literally everyone's favorite character. Well, one of two. Easy. Easy.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
G'Kar is such a hot daddy

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Pick posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck, Andreas Katsulas?! That guy oooooowned.

Literally everyone's favorite character. Well, one of two. Easy. Easy.

Hmm... I don't think so. This guy was a lot younger, and his sister was no older than 30. The teacher's last name was...I wanna say Biggs, if that helps?

Edit: I think it was Richard Biggs. Apparently he died in 2004. :smith:

Edit 2: also, in my memory, apparently bi-racial translates to "tanned". Wtf. For some reason I remembered my teacher being a stark white woman, so that may be what threw me off.

Mywhatacleanturtle fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 3, 2017

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

In on topic news, I just watched Bakshi's Lord of The Rings and my God is it the most boring thing I've ever seen.

That's the one I'm least looking forward to seeing in this Bakshi vision quest. I watched it as a kid and barely remember it.

EDIT:
Also I fell asleep watching Wizards last night. It's amazing, I was just tired. I'll finish it this weekend, tonight I'm watching my And Everything Is Going Fine Criterion I just got.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Unmature posted:

That's the one I'm least looking forward to seeing in this Bakshi vision quest. I watched it as a kid and barely remember it.

EDIT:
Also I fell asleep watching Wizards last night. It's amazing, I was just tired. I'll finish it this weekend, tonight I'm watching my And Everything Is Going Fine Criterion I just got.

If you fell asleep during Wizards, prepare for some serious napping. I wasn't kidding when I said it was the most boring movie I've ever seen.

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
Wow, I missed a ton of great films the past couple of years. Guess I'll marathon through a couple I've found. The Illusionist, The Painting, The Prophet, and April and the Extraordinary World.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Is Monkeybone animated enough to talk about in this thread? Just watched it for the first time since it came out and I am really impressed with how well the weird mishmash of prosthetics, stop motion, and CGI of Down Town hold up.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It must be sad watching Babylon 5 cast reunions because there's no one on stage except several coffins, and Bruce Boxleitner.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

So it's a faithful adaptation then? (I love the books, but even I have to admit they can be a slog)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

dirksteadfast posted:

So it's a faithful adaptation then? (I love the books, but even I have to admit they can be a slog)

It's been a while since I watched it but it's basically the first two books crammed into one film. Related, Rankin Bass did adaptions of both The Hobbit and Return of the King which I don't remember being that bad aside from the hideous art style.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 3, 2017

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Where there's a whip

There's a way

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Shadow Hog posted:

Where there's a whip

There's a Nae Nae

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It must be sad watching Babylon 5 cast reunions because there's no one on stage except several coffins, and Bruce Boxleitner.

It is extremely obvious based on photos that Boxleitner is a vampire and stole their essence.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Inkspot posted:

Is Monkeybone animated enough to talk about in this thread? Just watched it for the first time since it came out and I am really impressed with how well the weird mishmash of prosthetics, stop motion, and CGI of Down Town hold up.

Yeah, it looks stylish, too bad the actual movie's kind of bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Shadow Hog posted:

Where there's a whip

There's a way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdXQJS3Yv0Y