Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Here4DaGangBang posted:

http://www.maruni-ind.co.jp/en/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/STICK-QUIK-PLUG.pdf

If these are the guys you're talking about, the latest news item on their home page was in April.

Is there any place to order these for a reasonable price in the states?

Also these guys are apparently the current hotness for tire plugs: http://www.dynaplug.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
This is likely one of the dumbest questions asked here so far, but I need some vindication. When I picked up my FZ-09 from the dealer, the little handscrews for the plate wouldn't fit and the tech ended up drilling out the plastic holes in the fender. I didn't think much of this since goal #1 is getting a fender eliminator, but I went to ride today and realized my plate was gone.

Called the dealership and they're gonna clone me a plate, but what a pain in the rear end - assuming I was riding at least half my night last night without a plate. I'm gonna have them ziptie the replacement on there.

If they try to charge for this, should I bust their balls?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I'm possibly in the market for a used on/off road type of bike. I'm more worried about off road performance than on, but it would see time on both regardless. I could just make a street legal dirt bike, but I'd rather not. I don't have any experience with these types of bikes, only one trick ponies.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
What you want is a dual sport, preferably 250 class. Street legal, designed with normal human maintenence schedules, etc. Something like the xt225 would be cheap and very good for trail riding, while something like a WR250R would be fantastic for street and trail at a higher price.

Also, the DRZ400S is a pretty good fit for you.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I love my WR250R and would highly recommend it.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

PathAsc posted:

I'm possibly in the market for a used on/off road type of bike. I'm more worried about off road performance than on, but it would see time on both regardless. I could just make a street legal dirt bike, but I'd rather not. I don't have any experience with these types of bikes, only one trick ponies.

What do you expect your riding to look like generally and will you be riding to the dirt?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Thanks guys, I'll look at those asap!

builds character posted:

What do you expect your riding to look like generally and will you be riding to the dirt?

Some road, maybe highway at times. Yes dirt, mud, gravel, etc. There's trails to do, and a lot of the farm that's a bit dodgy to get to when I need to get things done.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
CRF250L accomplishes all of that

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Super Sherpa.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

PathAsc posted:

Some road, maybe highway at times. Yes dirt, mud, gravel, etc. There's trails to do, and a lot of the farm that's a bit dodgy to get to when I need to get things done.

EX250 Type R posted:

CRF250L accomplishes all of that

Slavvy posted:

Super Sherpa.

Yeah, just buy whatever japanese 200 (tw200!) or 250 is cheapest and you like best.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Thanks again! Time to trawl the local places and ads.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

PathAsc posted:

Thanks again! Time to trawl the local places and ads.

Good luck. Also watch all of these. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCJAvmhgP0h1AEKY8vTEJPJg They're very helpful.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

McMaster-Carr?

Mcmaster Carr ships fast! And clearly knows their audience

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh yeah we have a ton of FAG bearing boxes all over the shop.

also all these little KUM pencil sharpeners, no idea where they came from

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
If you know the type of bearings you want, most places have local bearing supply shops. Most wheel bearings etc. are common bearings so they'll probably have them in stock.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

PathAsc posted:

I'd say any of the 650 dual sports if you want 60mph to not be real miserable. Having never ridden any of them, the Internet tells me the Honda is the most off-road capable, the KLR is the most road capable, and the DR is a compromise between the three.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

n8r posted:

I'd say any of the 650 dual sports if you want 60mph to not be real miserable. Having never ridden any of them, the Internet tells me the Honda is the most off-road capable, the KLR is the most road capable, and the DR is a compromise between the three.

How fat are you that you need a 650 to hit 60 mph comfortably?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I don't really need to go that fast, my biggest thing is year round off road capability and being reliable.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

n8r posted:

The KLR isn't really anything-capable.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I loving love my KLR though. If you want to get around a farm and also do 80 on the highway, I can see it being great.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Alright, I think I have the choice made, goons are the best.

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
So I pulled the CBR's carbs to give them one last deep clean before I put it up for sale. I noticed one of the choke plungers is really sticky. Hard to pull out and very very slow to retract compared to the other 3. I realize the choke slide should probably overcome the stickiness but since I have the things in pieces it's worth bouncing off people who actually know what they're doing. Here's the video of the offending slide with a good one for comparison:

https://goo.gl/photos/YxKU531AhWQfYDDU8

Suggestions for cleaning it or unsticking it? I realize carb cleaner is out because of the rubber around it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Take it out and clean it, I don't really see the problem. You just undo the 14mm plastic nut thing and the whole thing comes out.

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
Thanks. Hadn't been into that part of the carb before and none of the writeups I'd been using covered removing it as part of cleaning.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's always worth taking them out cause gunk tends to build up in there and lead to inconsistent cold running behaviour.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What is a good place to get quality bearings? I need wheel bearings for the elite. Everything on amazon and eBay seems to be Chinese garbage. Ronayers doesn't stock the ones i need, but I can't find non-dodgy suppliers.

Surprised that no one mentioned All-Balls

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I mentioned quality and not wanting to buy Chinese bearings though?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
When it comes to bearings, always ride on a FAG

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
What's the go to Ninjette forum?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

When it comes to bearings, always ride on a FAG

Yeah to be fair to GnarlyCharlie4u, I don't know if fag (German design, Korean build) are great, but I've heard so many horror stories about all balls

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

I've used FAG bearings in a couple machinery rebuilds including head bearing on a bridgeport mill, the bridgeport gets hard daily use by a welder and he's reported no issues in the past 12 months. That said, he's a welder and is unlikely to report milling issues until the head has a near a 1/4 inch of wander.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

Chichevache posted:

What's the go to Ninjette forum?

https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Ninja250_Howto go-to for FAQ to answer 99% of questions, but the forums are ugly and this one is more active it seems:

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/index.php

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Dutymode posted:

https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Ninja250_Howto go-to for FAQ to answer 99% of questions, but the forums are ugly and this one is more active it seems:

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/index.php

Thank you!

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

How do I find out what the most fuel efficient speed/gear is on my motorcycle?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I imagine looking at a dyno graph would help. Would it be when the bike produces the most power/rpm? When it produces the most power while working the least would probably when its the most efficient right?

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
When cruising, the least revs you can manage (less throttle = less air = less fuel, plus you can run in closed loop mode). While accelerating you probably want to be on the torque peak. If you want all this done for you, get a scooter with a CVT.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Fauxtool posted:

I imagine looking at a dyno graph would help. Would it be when the bike produces the most power/rpm? When it produces the most power while working the least would probably when its the most efficient right?

So then what does this mean:

https://goo.gl/images/4uFLzf

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

It means you need better taste in motorcycles.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
There's no such thing as a single most fuel efficient speed/gear. Think about a headwind - the stronger it gets, the more you're going to have to open the throttle to maintain a speed/rpm. Your most effiicient speed/gear is also going to change going up a steep hill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

The Bananana posted:

How do I find out what the most fuel efficient speed/gear is on my motorcycle?

If it's a KTM, you push it to the dealer. Zero fuel used!

Otherwise, you just ride as usual.