Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Speckled trout will wear you the gently caress out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Went out for a quick afternoon trip with the wife and friend who's a much better photographer than I. It was real slow for the whole trip but I hooked an 80 lb halibut after an hour or so.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

TheDon01 posted:

Went out for a quick afternoon trip with the wife and friend who's a much better photographer than I. It was real slow for the whole trip but I hooked an 80 lb halibut after an hour or so.

I hate you in the best way possible.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
I just got a Tenkara and I've been practicing casting in a nearby field and I think I'm getting the hang of it. Anyone have recommendations for fly fishing mountain streams, or in general?
I'm really psyched about the prospect of catching some trout (I'm in Colorado, for reference).

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
There is a guy in the TFR hiking thread who is a big tenkara nut and super nice and helpful.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

bongwizzard posted:

There is a guy in the TFR hiking thread who is a big tenkara nut and super nice and helpful.

They seem like a fancy evolution of the ol' long stick. Think I'll give it a shot. Got a shallow pond I have access to.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
i barely got any pictures but i caught my first rainbow trout today on six pound test and i am still on some kind of natural high holy poo poo how am i supposed to go back to sunfish now

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Very nice!

I am a failure, spent three days in Florida living on a lake and all I caught was a buzz.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

bongwizzard posted:

Very nice!

I am a failure, spent three days in Florida living on a lake and all I caught was a buzz.

Florida lakes are weird. Little out-of-the-way backyard ponds are where the real freshwater action is.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Suspect Bucket posted:

Florida lakes are weird. Little out-of-the-way backyard ponds are where the real freshwater action is.

Yeah, I did see a few bass but couldn't get anything to bite. I wasted most of one day chasing a 3 foot gar that was cruising around the dock. The lake I was on had almost 10 feet of visibility which continually broke my brain.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

bongwizzard posted:

Yeah, I did see a few bass but couldn't get anything to bite. I wasted most of one day chasing a 3 foot gar that was cruising around the dock. The lake I was on had almost 10 feet of visibility which continually broke my brain.

Oh, yeah. Those lakes are hard. You gotta be hella sneaky or have a cast net.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Suspect Bucket posted:

Oh, yeah. Those lakes are hard. You gotta be hella sneaky or have a cast net.

This is me trying to fish a hole just past that mat. It goes from 5' to like 25'. It's from people having sand pumped out just past their docks to make a little beaches, it also looks like some absurdly good summertime bass habitat.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

bongwizzard posted:

This is me trying to fish a hole just past that mat. It goes from 5' to like 25'. It's from people having sand pumped out just past their docks to make a little beaches, it also looks like some absurdly good summertime bass habitat.

Now you know why they sell those fishing float tubes with beer holders ;p But hey, looks like you had fun anyway. That'd actually work good with an anchor. Maybe go out there tied up to a cheap black innertube with FAD dangling down.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 2, 2017

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

My friend wants to go fish striped bass off the beach in Jersey. I don't think I need a fishing license in Jersey for non-commercial saltwater, correct? Just freshwater and shellfish?

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

funktopus posted:

I just got a Tenkara and I've been practicing casting in a nearby field and I think I'm getting the hang of it. Anyone have recommendations for fly fishing mountain streams, or in general?
I'm really psyched about the prospect of catching some trout (I'm in Colorado, for reference).

Depends on where in CO, but I could probably meet up to guide you around if you're in the denver/boulder corridor.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Going to the Jersey Shore to catch stripers, if I don't come back avenge my death

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Going to the Jersey Shore to catch stripers, if I don't come back avenge my death

You just gotta roll down the block with the windows down and a 50 in your hand.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Have fun! I love the idea of surf fishing but there is no where really near me to do it.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Looking for a general rod for beginners. Neither of us have fished much but she loves fishing and I wanted to get her a rod.

I ended up pick up one of those rods, and it even came with a really nice case to store everything in. I'm hoping it will do well for us being that it is small and it does have a lot of positive reviews.

How has the rod worked out so far? Im in a similar situation to you and was wondering how it went.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Have fun! I love the idea of surf fishing but there is no where really near me to do it.

It was a blast! We drove 2 hours each way. We figured that the worst case scenario was we spent the day on the beach, and it was gorgeous out. It was a hell of a lot of fun, throwing a fish head leader attached to a 4 oz jig with an 11 foot rod is some seriously primordial poo poo. A guy right next to us caught a 39" striper but we got blanked.

Also we got booze and oysters after, which was a great consolation prize.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 4, 2017

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
edit: I probably should have taken some earlier pictures

Cumslut1895 fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jun 12, 2017

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Cumslut1895 posted:

edit: I probably should have taken some earlier pictures

YEEEAH BUDDY, i try not to take pictures too often while fishing and just enjoy the time outdoors so this was the smaller trout out of the oven

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Fish goons... here is what I believe to be a calico bass that I caught the other day.

If you're looking for a GBS "spin" on fishing, check out the epic summer fishing thread in GBS. Cast off blast off! Happy casting!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3823377&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

canpakes posted:

Fish goons... here is what I believe to be a calico bass that I caught the other day.

If you're looking for a GBS "spin" on fishing, check out the epic summer fishing thread in GBS. Cast off blast off! Happy casting!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3823377&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Mmmmm, crappie, the tastiest of all fish.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Largemouth, rock bass, and bluegill on tenkara rods last weekend. Been pulling smallmouth most mornings on the way to work, too.

EDIT:

oh hey little guy

Seriously, this tiny smallmouth ran like crazy and did all kinds of jumping acrobatics. Very impressive scrap for a six-inch fish.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 23, 2017

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

16"-ish largemouth, taken on a Nissin carp pole. Just tossing out frog poppers, tenkara-style. The thing fought hard, bent the 18' rod right in a circle. I let it run for two or three minutes to tire itself out, make sure it didn't break the tippet when I went to land it.

EDIT: Then a fuckoff huge bluegill just flat swallowed that popper. C'est la vie, I guess.

Forgot I'd gotten a photo of the bastard.

8" bluegill, and he'd completely swallowed the barrel of the popper. You can see the rubber legs poking out of its mouth. I just cut the line - there was no way to remove the hook without killing the fish, and I read that they're pretty good about unhooking themselves over time.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 7, 2017

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

a foolish pianist posted:

16"-ish largemouth, taken on a Nissin carp pole. Just tossing out frog poppers, tenkara-style. The thing fought hard, bent the 18' rod right in a circle. I let it run for two or three minutes to tire itself out, make sure it didn't break the tippet when I went to land it.

EDIT: Then a fuckoff huge bluegill just flat swallowed that popper. C'est la vie, I guess.

In your honor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeKPkGflDB4

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Driving up to Bishop CA this evening, going to rent a boat on South Lake and hopefully post some pictures of nice Rainbow Trout tomorrow.

Here's an old picture of my pops with a big rear end rainbow.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 28, 2017

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

The weather was awful at South Lake, which sits at about 9800ft.

We didn't catch anything crazy, but between 5 of us we had 22 keepers in just under 4 hours.

Overall, was fun.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Jesus man, were you fishing with dynamite? That's a hell of a haul

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Jesus man, were you fishing with dynamite? That's a hell of a haul

We went up with what the locals suggested to my uncle, mouse tails (Berekley), fake nightcrawlers and chartreuse marshmallows, ended up killing it on rainbow power bait.

They basically swarmed at one of the inlets and hookups were almost instantaneous once we figured out what they were biting on. All of these came in about 45 minutes after we figured where they were and what they were biting on.

We went out to Intake 2 on Sunday and there were some MAJOR toads swimming around, probably 4-5lb planted fish, but they weren't hungry, just taunting the anglers :(

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

We went up with what the locals suggested to my uncle, mouse tails (Berekley), fake nightcrawlers and chartreuse marshmallows, ended up killing it on rainbow power bait.

They basically swarmed at one of the inlets and hookups were almost instantaneous once we figured out what they were biting on. All of these came in about 45 minutes after we figured where they were and what they were biting on.

We went out to Intake 2 on Sunday and there were some MAJOR toads swimming around, probably 4-5lb planted fish, but they weren't hungry, just taunting the anglers :(

Post more photos! All I can pull out of my pond are LMB so it's interesting to see anything else.

I may get desperate and start going after the little guys in my backyard. If I was going to target little guys like blue gills and other panfish, what should I throw out there?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Post more photos! All I can pull out of my pond are LMB so it's interesting to see anything else.

I may get desperate and start going after the little guys in my backyard. If I was going to target little guys like blue gills and other panfish, what should I throw out there?

Trout bait works well, as do tiny plastics on jigheads. I prefer to fish for them with moving lures, like tiny cranks and inline spinners. I do swap the trebles with single hooks and pinch the barbs down. You still catch a ton of fish but you can clearly realse like 99% of them.

The 1% will somehow manage to be a super dink that hits a hook hard enough to drive it through it's own head.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Trout bait works well, as do tiny plastics on jigheads. I prefer to fish for them with moving lures, like tiny cranks and inline spinners. I do swap the trebles with single hooks and pinch the barbs down. You still catch a ton of fish but you can clearly realse like 99% of them.

The 1% will somehow manage to be a super dink that hits a hook hard enough to drive it through it's own head.

That's excellent, I'll give it a shot. I don't catch too many bass from the shoreline for whatever reason, it seems to be mostly little guys around there. I'd prefer to just load up my light action rod for them

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I didn't really take too many pictures, unfortunately. I missed the shot of all of the fish on the stringer, that was a sight to see as we only had one with us heh.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

The weather was awful at South Lake, which sits at about 9800ft.

We didn't catch anything crazy, but between 5 of us we had 22 keepers in just under 4 hours.

Overall, was fun.

Hey I haven't fished up at South Lake in a couple of years! Glad you got such a great haul!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Chaosfeather posted:

Hey I haven't fished up at South Lake in a couple of years! Glad you got such a great haul!

You should, it is wiiiide open!

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
Cool thread, here's a fish I caught last week-

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
nice carp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

It's not a big fish he's just tiny.

Just kidding. What do you use for fishing carp?