Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

a7m2 posted:

I've only painted a handful of miniatures so far, so I'm still learning a lot. I want to try to paint some Black Legion WH40k units. Most people use grey highlights and some of them turn out okay, but I absolutely love this paint job:

I think the key is that there's a lot of detail that isn't black which makes it visually more interesting than 90% of the paint jobs I've seen, but the blue highlights are something I think looks awesome and haven't seen elsewhere.

Can someone tell me which citadel paints are used for the blue highlights on black armor? I'm no good at recognizing colors yet. Paints tend to look different than I expect them to on my models.

edit: I think I found it here

I don't think that's quite as blue as what you linked. I hear people recommend fenresian gray more commonly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

I've been wondering what to do with my guys. I've painted almost all of the few minis I have, but they feel kinda incomplete and i don't know where to go from here with them so they stand out more. I know I still have to do the eyes, and the weapons could use some touching up, but I feel like there's more I could do to their bodies, I just don't know what.

Fake edit for placeholder while I grab my posts

e:

Munchables posted:

Alright here's model number 3, using the model type I plan on running the most.
I had a lot of fun with this one, spent a lot of time squinting at the details and experimenting to find a look I liked. The rusty coloration Reikland Fleshshade and Liberator Gold give is something I really like, and I decided to only use the Xereus Purple in certain parts of the armor instead of anywhere there's purple. I'm not satisfied with the gun, still need to get the proper paints for it but I wanted something at least presentable. I also decided to make the backpack stand out a little more by putting gold on it. There are a few areas of noticeable gold bleeding over the lines onto the purple, but other than these I'm really really happy and proud of this guy, and I've decided to name him Amadeus.
Here he is!

Munchables posted:

Alright, I've transferred my models to LA's Awesome, and we'll see how that goes. In the meantime, tonight I painted model number 4 and 5, one was just a normal tactical marine, the other is this little guy:

There's a few spots of smudging, especially around the sun on the shoulder, those tendrils are difficult, and on the shoulder trims. This guy was really fun, and I love the look, but I think I need to figure out a different color to put into the large shoulder, or put something on the legs. Wish my phone camera was better.

Munchables fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jun 1, 2017

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Booyah- posted:

I don't think that's quite as blue as what you linked. I hear people recommend fenresian gray more commonly.

What about this? This looks closer to me.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

a7m2 posted:

I've only painted a handful of miniatures so far, so I'm still learning a lot. I want to try to paint some Black Legion WH40k units. Most people use grey highlights and some of them turn out okay, but I absolutely love this paint job:

I think the key is that there's a lot of detail that isn't black which makes it visually more interesting than 90% of the paint jobs I've seen, but the blue highlights are something I think looks awesome and haven't seen elsewhere.

Can someone tell me which citadel paints are used for the blue highlights on black armor? I'm no good at recognizing colors yet. Paints tend to look different than I expect them to on my models.

edit: I think it's Dark Reaper with either Thunderhawk Blue OR Administratum Grey. Thoughts?

This tutorial ends up pretty close:

http://taleofpainters.blogspot.com/2015/05/tutorial-how-to-paint-dark-angel.html

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Munchables posted:

I've been wondering what to do with my guys. I've painted almost all of the few minis I have, but they feel kinda incomplete and i don't know where to go from here with them so they stand out more. I know I still have to do the eyes, and the weapons could use some touching up, but I feel like there's more I could do to their bodies, I just don't know what.

e:

Honestly, once you pick out the eyes (I suggest a bright green) and base them (I'd go with darker neutral-grey rubble or paving stones since the color scheme is already bright enough) they'll feel finished.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

General Olloth posted:

Crosspost over from 40k thread:

Okay so it's not finished but it looks finished from this side and I'm so :swoon: over how it looks in person.

That thing's amazing.

It's also convinced me to never play Necrons because goddamn it looks like pain.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
WIP on my next Nomad, the Bandit hacker. Soooo tiny, I've been photographing it and zooming in to see and clean up mistakes.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Cross postin' Nathavarr from Reaper's Dragon's Don't Share, and Karrathor, the Tyrant of Halpi from Mantic's Dungeon Saga

NTRabbit posted:

:smaug: OATH COMPLETE! :smaug:

Worth noting that the base was painted in the previous oath season as part of the Dragon's Don't Share tower set.

The white spots on the wings are polymer varnish that hasn't dried, the white spots on the base are clumsy fingers!

Claiming a flying start and double monster may-hem with my pair of dragons because There's more than one!

Gonna touch up that grey base once I figure out an effective way to make it match the moulded cobblestones on the small guys.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
Painted stuff that isn't hams related:

Ship shot

BUTTS!!!!!

There is a bunch of detail work I skipped on these as I just got tired and wanted them done. I probably should stipple some metal here and there for effect and finish highlighting various black pieces.

Major Spag fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jun 1, 2017

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

a7m2 posted:

edit: I think it's Dark Reaper with either Thunderhawk Blue OR Administratum Grey. Thoughts?

It's Dark Reaper, and most of the videos I've watched use Thunderhawk Blue. But I think the Grey would work as well.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Highlighting black (or shading white) with grey is for chumps. In real life, they both tend to take on the colors around them. Highlighting with a blue like this not only makes it more interesting, but can also tie it into the environment better.

Edge highlighting obviously works pretty well. If you're going for a more even shading, the trick is to think of the black as being both your midtone and shadow, and having it cover the figure appropriately. That avoids the problem of your black looking like a dark blue/red/whatever. White's the same thing, just that it's your highlight and midtone. Toss whatever color you're using into the highlights for black or the shadows for white.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Tentacle Party posted:

WIP on my next Nomad, the Bandit hacker. Soooo tiny, I've been photographing it and zooming in to see and clean up mistakes.

:eyepop:

That looks amazing. I like the camo especially.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Floppychop posted:

That thing's amazing.

It's also convinced me to never play Necrons because goddamn it looks like pain.

I got it for christmas to put it into perspective. I haven't been great about working on it all the time, but the process of magnetizing it and painting it has certainly been a journey.

Nearly finished..

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Tentacle Party posted:

Tell me your secret for digital cammo. I can do a nice tiger stripe these days, but I can't fake the little pixel squares to save my life.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Is there a Reaper or Vallejo equivalent for Dark Reaper?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
What, no DONGES?!?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

mango sentinel posted:

Is there a Reaper or Vallejo equivalent for Dark Reaper?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xl-x9eW3bLw5eqDeNUG2JUwn2EZwn34TDKfNIg5uul4/htmlview is the best conversion chart I know of.

Couple of paints that look like decent matches, USA Olive Drab from VMC or HD Ash Grey or Highland moss from Reaper.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)

grassy gnoll posted:

Tell me your secret for digital cammo. I can do a nice tiger stripe these days, but I can't fake the little pixel squares to save my life.

A very small brush and a lot of patience. However beyond that it's pretty simple. It's based in grey, then I added little Tetris shapes in a khaki, white and a few in black.

I think the hardest part is to keep them all in a kind of perpendicular flow and they need to follow the form of the cloth so it looks like it's made from one piece of printed cloth.

My last guy shows it a little better, however I went a bit more than jagged on his shapes. Same system but blue, khaki and black over grey.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Major Spag posted:

Painted stuff that isn't hams related:

Ship shot

BUTTS!!!!!

There is a bunch of detail work I skipped on these as I just got tired and wanted them done. I probably should stipple some metal here and there for effect and finish highlighting various black pieces.

These are Foss as gently caress and I love them

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

bonds0097 posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xl-x9eW3bLw5eqDeNUG2JUwn2EZwn34TDKfNIg5uul4/htmlview is the best conversion chart I know of.

Couple of paints that look like decent matches, USA Olive Drab from VMC or HD Ash Grey or Highland moss from Reaper.
Thanks! TBH I've got Highland Moss and was thinking of using it. It's obviously gonna have a green hint instead of blue I think that's should work fine. I just need to highlight some leather boots.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Anyone have suggestions for a good blue to pick up?

I don't have a shop to look at them in person, and looking at colors online doesn't work that great due to monitors colors not always matching what it actually is.

I don't use blues much, if at all. I'm primarily looking to get it for use on 40k Orks.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Finally finished painting my big box of reaper mouselings. I rushed a little because I wanted to get these done with, since I want to use them this weekend .

And here's all 20 of them

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Floppychop posted:

Anyone have suggestions for a good blue to pick up?

I don't have a shop to look at them in person, and looking at colors online doesn't work that great due to monitors colors not always matching what it actually is.

I don't use blues much, if at all. I'm primarily looking to get it for use on 40k Orks.

I think Prussian blue by VMC is a cool color, solid mid blue.

For something brighter that pops more, magic blue from vgc is pretty neat.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Hey painter people! Has anyone airbrushed the Scale 75 metallics? If so, how much did you thin them prior to spraying?

Also, any recommendations for a new airbrush? I think my badger patriot bit it; It's pushing paint out in spurts: everything flows fine for about 3 seconds, and then slowly tapers off until nothing comes out. I don't really do any fine detail work, so I was thinking of just buying another patriot.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Munchables posted:

e:

Hard to tell from your photos, but you might find it's as simple as doing heavier washes, and then more highlights. If your models look a bit flat, I typically think more highlighting/bloom is required.

Another possibility is to introduce another colour- namely silver. So that theree can be 'functional' metal areas and 'showy' ones. Gleaming golden armour, but silver for pipes, the metal joins. mask detailing, weapon, that kind of idea. Would help break up the colour.

Otherwise, the magical world of basing will do a lot to make the models feel like they exist in a world.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

Hey painter people! Has anyone airbrushed the Scale 75 metallics? If so, how much did you thin them prior to spraying?

Yep! 70/30 Paint to Vallejo Airbrush flow improver.

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

Also, any recommendations for a new airbrush? I think my badger patriot bit it; It's pushing paint out in spurts: everything flows fine for about 3 seconds, and then slowly tapers off until nothing comes out. I don't really do any fine detail work, so I was thinking of just buying another patriot.

Sounds like you've got poo poo in it. Try breaking it down and soaking it in an airbrush solvent cleaner like Tamiya's. Remove the rubber O-rings first or they'll die.

If you don't want to do that, re-buy the Patriot 105 X-treme or move up to something like an Iwata HP-C+

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Haven't painted for a while but the latest shipment of bones has me jonesin', so I did this guy tonight. He's okay, since it only took like an hour and a half, maybe two hours, but I'm not really stoked about the result. Any advice for my scary monster man?

Please excuse the poo poo pictures, I know they don't help but I haven't gotten to set up a mini booth for pics since moving.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 2, 2017

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
Hi all. Wanted to show you guys the latest thing I finished. It's nothing really fancy, a lot of drybrushed fur, and a little bit of freehanding.

The mini is the Cave Bear from the Wrath of Ashardalon D&D game. I think somebody bought one and put it up on eBay for bits.

I'm not happy with the mold lines, I felt there was only so much I could do without destroying the fur.

It's also baby's first kitbashed photo box. :)

But I am insanely happy with how that handprint turned out. I was so terrified of screwing up the fur and getting red everywhere, but it turned out SO WELL.

Edit: I have no idea why not all of my pictures are showing up. There's supposed to be three pictures of a bear mini.

GoingPostal fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jun 2, 2017

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Does anyone have a good source for sci-fi or fantasy scenic objective markers? If not as a whole, then a bag of bits/sprue I can use (I don't have muich of a bitz box anymore). Right now I'm using some tentacle bases but I want the good stuff!

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
There's a whole slew of them over at customeeple, look for 'infinity objective markers'.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

Ilor posted:

What, no DONGES?!?

I picked sorylians...it's all dongues!!!

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

GoingPostal posted:

Hi all. Wanted to show you guys the latest thing I finished. It's nothing really fancy, a lot of drybrushed fur, and a little bit of freehanding.

The mini is the Cave Bear from the Wrath of Ashardalon D&D game. I think somebody bought one and put it up on eBay for bits.

I'm not happy with the mold lines, I felt there was only so much I could do without destroying the fur.

It's also baby's first kitbashed photo box. :)

But I am insanely happy with how that handprint turned out. I was so terrified of screwing up the fur and getting red everywhere, but it turned out SO WELL.

Edit: I have no idea why not all of my pictures are showing up. There's supposed to be three pictures of a bear mini.

Really great job on that handprint!

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Crossposting my Lord Celestant on Dracoth.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Stomping around like he owns the place!

Finished up my Lord Celestant on Dracoth. Kitted him out with the Lightning Hammer as the Thundershield. I ended up just grabbing one of those upgrade sprues from GW.

Really happy with how he turned out. I still need to touch some stuff up (jewelry, need to highlight the underbelly and the straps, as well as the clothing on the legs of the Lord Celestant, and fill that gap), but I just wanted to show him off.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Anyone got some glaze tips? I'm following along on a black and white tutorial and want to make sure I approach things properly. Have a wet pallet and an airbrush if that makes any difference.

At this point I've done a bunch of airbrush shading on some mini man's, and done 1 thin Grey glaze to even things out a bit. Should I just thin out of some black/white and make a bunch of gradients?

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016
As long as we're asking for tips, anyone have experience painting an albino person? I'm painting Crucible from Guild Ball, and want to stick to the studio direction of making her albino. I understand the basics, white hair, pale skin, red irises, but what's the best way to go about these? My fear is that in painting the pale skin, and the white hair, I'll just end up looking like I'm not doing enough shading. Know what I mean? Thanks.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

TheFinalTuba posted:

As long as we're asking for tips, anyone have experience painting an albino person? I'm painting Crucible from Guild Ball, and want to stick to the studio direction of making her albino. I understand the basics, white hair, pale skin, red irises, but what's the best way to go about these? My fear is that in painting the pale skin, and the white hair, I'll just end up looking like I'm not doing enough shading. Know what I mean? Thanks.

Master Duncan had a short tutorial on albino skin. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efMsWE8Uz4s check it out if its useful for ya.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
For hair I'd start with Ulthuan Grey or maybe find a yellow or silver tinged off white to do as a base then highlight it stark white. I can't tell if that yellow would work too kind of make it look like it was reflecting sunlight or just dingy so I would play around first.

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx
I recently discovered the Deimos pattern rhinos, and I really love that front end, so I'm going to be adding that to each of the exorcists tonight. Those boxes aren't too bad in comparison to other components, so not too freaked out about that after thought addition.

Hatches added, nearly done! Except a cupola viewports on a cupola cupolas'.(and rivets)
Those Missiles poking out were initially looking like a nightmare to do, but cutting off a small section of 1/4" solid rod, putting it in the chuck of a drill, and "milling" it down turned out to be kinda cathartic.

My Valdor tank hunter is coming along decently. Much more cabling/rivets to add into it however, I only just started adding stainless wire for cables last night. And definitely more cabling will be added to the capacitors along the barrel to make it look like they actually do something.

The most tedious portion has been making the tank treads for everything. Each exorcist needs about 5" per side, so that's 30" for three tanks, plus another 20" for the Valdor. In about 1/4" increments for each link :suicide:. I didn't realise the valdor is so loving huge until placed next to the rhinos. If anyone is interested in scratch building, it takes time but it's not too technically too demanding, just carefully measure twice cut once. But if you have large sections of tracks needed, try to find pre-made ones, that's honestly turned out to be the most soul crushing portion of this.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

What you're doing with simple plasticard is absolutely amazing.

Just curious, how many hours does it take you to make one Rhino?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Kind of a generalized minis question, but this feels like the right group to ask:

Anyone know a good place to get Warhammer/Warmachine/Infinity/whatever-scale fences and boxes/crates? I've got an Old West-style building set which is great, but for some reason it didn't come with fences, gates, crates, that type of thing. It's a laser-cut wood set, so bonus points if they're that material as well. Thanks :) !