Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

OptimusWang posted:

Sorry if this is a really basic question, but do plastic minis just kind of suck to paint vs metal ones? Or is that mostly a Reaper issue?

I've painted a whopping 5 figs + some x-wing ships so I'm still pretty new to this, but the ones I'm working on now are a gigantic pain in the rear end, especially compared to their metal figs I did previously.

Also, who do you guys recommend for fantasy minis?

Bones figs are in some ways easier to paint, but you have to know how to handle them.

First off, like everyone said, wash them first to get the release agent off. This honestly isn't a terrible idea with metal or hard plastic figures either. It's just more noticeable with Bones because they're hydrophobic to begin with. This will also remove any skin oils they've picked up from being handled.

Second, some rattlecan primers will react poorly to them, leaving them permanently tacky due to solvents in the primer. There are a few ways to solve this. The first is to know which primers react well. If you go to the first post of the Reaper Owns Bones thread, you'll see some info that talks about which primers are good and which ones aren't. Second, you can use brush-on primers, like the ones Vallejo makes. These will basically never give you issues. The third is to ignore the primer requirement. One of the things that makes the Reaper plastic different from hard plastic or metal is that it doesn't really need to be primed. If you go this route, do not thin your basecoat, as bones are hydrophobic. Finally, you can prime them with something that isn't paint. I've seen people use matte sealer (especially on translucent bones figures) or Reaper's liner paints (which also help draw out the detail of the figure, making it easier to paint).

Once they're cleaned off and have a layer of something down, they paint up just like any other mini.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

Finished that Kanren, pretty happy with it overall. Definitely kind of messy as a result of being a color test, the glowy bits went through like four different colors before I just gave up and made them bright gently caress-off green. The NMM is also kind of janky because I've had basically no practice at it, but such is life, forcing myself to do it on a bunch of models is the best way to get better at it. Very happy with the way the face turned out, it's slightly less orange than the pictures portray, squarely in the "moderately realistic southeast asian skintone" box. I went in wanting the turquoise to be slightly more green and the red with slightly more blue to it, but I can't say I'm unhappy with where I landed. Now I just have to figure out what I'm doing with the more heavily armored models in the faction.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

I started reading the Best of the Worst thread and whoooo boy tgat BTP stuff made me feel a lot better about my own attempts :stare:

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
For me, it was the D&D prepaints I had from my 3.5 days. I'm still a lovely painter, but at least I can consistently crank out better paintjobs than that.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Finished another 5-man squad of Blood Ravens that I finished last week but didn't get around until getting good photos until this week.
Need to improve at painting the shoulder pads if anything. But the bases ended up looking nicer than expected. Even if I need to either do them separately or learn not to smear texture paint on the models feet by accident.
Next project is an understrength troop of Krieg Grenadiers.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I figured to start off with my massive block of Stormcast, it'd be best to just do 5 Liberators and one of my 3 Lord Celestants on Dracoth.

Managed to get the basecoats, shade and some highlighting done on the Lord. Gotta add the details, and brighten up the yellow.

Bonus group shot:

Hopefully I can get all these guys done by the end of the summer!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

JackMann posted:

For me, it was the D&D prepaints I had from my 3.5 days. I'm still a lovely painter, but at least I can consistently crank out better paintjobs than that.

Imagine if you had a quota of 1000 a day, tho. Pretty drat fine brushwork IMO.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
They still look like poo poo. Like, it's understandable that they look like poo poo. I agree I couldn't do any better if I was mass producing them. Doesn't mean mine don't look nicer on the table.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I've been painting a lot but very little of it has been for myself.

Finally got to work on something of my own last night and I'm pretty happy with how this dwarf lord on flying mount is looking :toot:

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Slimnoid posted:

I've been painting a lot but very little of it has been for myself.

Finally got to work on something of my own last night and I'm pretty happy with how this dwarf lord on flying mount is looking :toot:

I really dig that gryphon model; it's one of my favorites in the Bones line. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out with the rampant dwarf!

How are you planning on painting it? I've done one for this month's Oath:

(I intentionally painted it in the general look of a bluejay. Thinking of doing more of these in the future, but themed after common songbirds, your cardinals, robins, etc.)

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I'm going to be painting some Yu-Jing for infinity. I've decided on doing a fairly bright gold for the armor plates and blue/teal for clothing/etc. For the glow/lens effects on the helmets and various other places, what would be a good color? I feel like red wouldn't look right alongside gold, so green? I could just do blue to keep it a little simpler, too.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Dr. Gargunza posted:

How are you planning on painting it?

I honestly have no idea. The army it's going with has a yellow color scheme, but I don't think I want to make the bird yellow. That'd just be inviting Big Bird jokes on myself.

Edit: That said, I'm open to suggestions.

Slimnoid fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 30, 2017

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO

Slimnoid posted:

I honestly have no idea. The army it's going with has a yellow color scheme, but I don't think I want to make the bird yellow. That'd just be inviting Big Bird jokes on myself.

Edit: That said, I'm open to suggestions.

Embrace the bigbird-ness! And set you cool yellow gryphon on anyone foolish enough to make the joke.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

dmnz posted:

Embrace the bigbird-ness! And set you cool yellow gryphon on anyone foolish enough to make the joke.

Well, a friend of mine had a suggestion: base it on real birds. Specifically, the oriole.

Got enough yellow to match the army without being tacky as poo poo. I'm gonna roll with it.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I agree with this. The last few monsters I've painted have had colour schemes based around real world critters and I find it gives a neat effect.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
E; whoops wrong thread. Major black, minor yellow is confirmed best colour scheme though

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

S.J. posted:

I'm going to be painting some Yu-Jing for infinity. I've decided on doing a fairly bright gold for the armor plates and blue/teal for clothing/etc. For the glow/lens effects on the helmets and various other places, what would be a good color? I feel like red wouldn't look right alongside gold, so green? I could just do blue to keep it a little simpler, too.

Green would work, but red will work too. If you go red you'll want to push it more, maybe a lot more, towards violet red than a pure bright red.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

Green would work, but red will work too. If you go red you'll want to push it more, maybe a lot more, towards violet red than a pure bright red.

Yeah, doing purple is another option too, and that might work better. I feel like red won't stand out enough inside of a gold framing.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

These are my next painting project:

My colour scheme is that light-blue/orange division. For my 'modern' terminators I did a Deathwing scheme with just the shoulder-pads. Any thoughts on these? I was thinking a jade green and checkerboard chapter colours on the shoulderpad.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Started work on a veteran scout sergeant conversion.

The mould lines on the resin shoulder pads is loving atrocious.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Isn't that a full size Marine shoulderpad too? Not that I'm worried about keeping things in line, but maybe worth changing the other one too?

I have a small question around conversion: will Ork Orruk shoota arms fit onto Beastmen Gor bodies? If not, is there an easy source of humanoid shooting arms?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Southern Heel posted:

I have a small question around conversion: will Ork Orruk shoota arms fit onto Beastmen Gor bodies? If not, is there an easy source of humanoid shooting arms?

Waaay to big for Gors. If you're looking for bare human arms, Catachan ones would probably work.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

Slimnoid posted:

Well, a friend of mine had a suggestion: base it on real birds. Specifically, the oriole.

Got enough yellow to match the army without being tacky as poo poo. I'm gonna roll with it.

Oh man, that's gonna be sweet. Looking forward to the pics!

e: Southern Heel: Seconding the Catechan arms, but you might also try Kroot arms if you're looking for thinner but still bestial-looking.

e2, what's wrong with me today: A halfway decent recipe for a vibrant yellow I've used is P3 Sulfuric Yellow washed with GW Lamenters Yellow. Really brightens it up, and since the P3 is already lighter, you can focus the GW glaze towards the recesses for instant highlights. Edge highlight with a mix of P3 Sulfuric and Vallejo Pale Sand. Use your favorite yellow-orange in the shadows, going all the way to browns for really deep contrasts.

Dr. Gargunza fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 31, 2017

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Slimnoid posted:

Waaay to big for Gors. If you're looking for bare human arms, Catachan ones would probably work.
On the other hand, chaos mutations causing archers to have STRONG arms is kind of a hilarious idea.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Ok thanks! People tend to have spare ork arms but not many catachan plastic spares...

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
I wanted to try something with greens since I'm poo poo with them, but can't decide on highlights. I've whipped up two test Enforcers: one with grey/green (left) and the other with yellow/green (right) highlights. I didn't like the right one at first, but seeing them together makes me think it's the better option. Thoughts?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm liking the yellow green more. They pop better. That said, if you could find a lighter gray-green, it might give you the best of both worlds.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Southern Heel posted:

Isn't that a full size Marine shoulderpad too? Not that I'm worried about keeping things in line, but maybe worth changing the other one too?

Yeah, that's on purpose. Was going for the asymmetrical shoulders.

Sgt. Telion seems to have 2 different shoulder pads too, though maybe less stark.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
Still have a lot to learn about painting, but here's some recent Infinity stuff :downs:
(Basing is WIP)

I gave Mr. Yuan Yuan a golden gun because he has a ridiculous body count so far throughout my games deploying him.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
I finished Grak and Crumbleberry!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

The Sex Cannon posted:

I finished Grak and Crumbleberry!

Looking good!

I guess you'll be picking up Slart too sometime?

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016

MG42 posted:

Still have a lot to learn about painting, but here's some recent Infinity stuff :downs:
(Basing is WIP)

I gave Mr. Yuan Yuan a golden gun because he has a ridiculous body count so far throughout my games deploying him.

I'm confused... What is it you have to learn?

Also, teach me?

Haha. These are badass.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Zark the Damned posted:

Looking good!

I guess you'll be picking up Slart too sometime?

Do you mean Glart? Then yes, I will! He's one of my absolute favorite Star Players. I'm planning on buying and painting all of the Star Players so anyone can use them in my league. Next up: Mighty Zug. Then: Griff Oberwald. Then: Hakflem Skuttlespike. Hopefully after Skuttlespike they will have released some more for me to paint!

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

How important is model height in 40K? I just magnetized my first Raider, and didn't think to account for the magnets or the insert post when I measured my support dowel. It's about .5" too high, I think. Do I need to cut it off the base and cut the post down?

Cyberpope v2
Oct 26, 2002

by Lowtax

bonds0097 posted:

Started work on a veteran scout sergeant conversion.

The mould lines on the resin shoulder pads is loving atrocious.

Please leave the codpiece bright red and paint him black.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
Oath Thread crosspostin' time!

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Oath Complete!

The gryphon I painted up to resemble a bluejay. Just 'cos.

My intention was to get "A Faithful Replica" for the Fightin' Fatboy. I went for as close as I can get to the studio paintjob without requiring expensive gene therapy to implant some of Angel Giraldez's talent:

(The images I used as the original are on the left side of this pic. Really hoping I'm not breaking tables here.)
Full album is here.

MG42, what models are those? You're doing some nice work on them. (Curious 'cos I have an Operation Red Veil just sitting around, haven't even opened it yet to look at the models.)

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
Crosspost over from 40k thread:

Okay so it's not finished but it looks finished from this side and I'm so :swoon: over how it looks in person.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
Your Yuan Yuan looks great!
From top to bottom, left to right they are the following models:
Hassassin Govad HMG
Djanbazan box
Tariqa, High Rank Counselor
Murabids Tuareg Hacker
Limited edition Yuan Yuan from the Operation Red Veil set.

Faces, blending and getting a clean look are still things I just can't get right, but like I said, still learning!

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I've only painted a handful of miniatures so far, so I'm still learning a lot. I want to try to paint some Black Legion WH40k units. Most people use grey highlights and some of them turn out okay, but I absolutely love this paint job:

I think the key is that there's a lot of detail that isn't black which makes it visually more interesting than 90% of the paint jobs I've seen, but the blue highlights are something I think looks awesome and haven't seen elsewhere.

Can someone tell me which citadel paints are used for the blue highlights on black armor? I'm no good at recognizing colors yet. Paints tend to look different than I expect them to on my models.

edit: I think it's Dark Reaper with either Thunderhawk Blue OR Administratum Grey. Thoughts?

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jun 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

a7m2 posted:

edit: I think I found it here

I'd slap that all-black mini on the right on the table and call it an Imperial Fist during a night op.